PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know DT Alphonso Boone...

Direckshun
05-23-2007, 01:26 AM
The Chiefs signed 6-year veteran DT Alphonso Boone this offseason.

DT might be the most important position on a team's defense. Its importance might be even more prominent in the wide-open Cover 2 defense. This year, the Chiefs massively upgraded the position, bringing back last years' decent starters and bringing in two rookie talents, and of course, Alphonso Boone from the incredibly deep Bears defense.

There's going to be a deep 4-man rotation at the DT position for the Chiefs. It will likely include Boone as a starter, and his play last year for the Bears suggests he could be a rewarding acquisition.

But what do we know about him, other than he's probably good?

He's got plenty of game day experience, but not a lot of starting experience, and has enjoyed a fairly productive career with the Bears.

Here's what I've accumulated.

Full Name: Alfonso Boone
Born: January 11, 1976
Saginaw, MI
Height: 6-4
Weight: 318 lbs.
Pos: DT
Experience: 6 years
College: Mount San Antonio JC

He earned lots of playing time on Lovie Smith's defense, and that's plenty respectable.

What about specific skills? Here's what I got for positives:

* perfect size
* perfect gap-filling run-stuffer
* specializes against the run
* good technique
* collapses the pocket consistently
* almost always a bull-rusher on passing downs

Negatives.

* not very fast, so he only occupies his one area
* doesn't move all that great
* often plays high
* almost always a bull-rusher on passing downs lol

What do you know about him?

acesn8s
05-23-2007, 01:36 AM
A DT that isn't very fast and only occupies his one area? Why, the Chiefs have never had such a player.

luv
05-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Being over 30, people will say he's too old.

ChiefaRoo
05-23-2007, 01:51 AM
How is it possible to occupy two areas at once with only one body?

acesn8s
05-23-2007, 02:15 AM
How is it possible to occupy two areas at once with only one body?one must be able to disengage himself from a blocker to move side to side to "occupy" surrounding gaps.

Easy 6
05-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Heres an interesting factoid i found on Wikipedia; On a family trip to Yellowstone Park in 96, Alphonso, using nothing more than his bare hands & a dull pencil, killed a rogue mountain lion that was terrorizing his campsite.

Atleast we know the guy has heart.

KC Jones
05-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Heres an interesting factoid i found on Wikipedia; On a family trip to Yellowstone Park in 96, Alphonso, using nothing more than his bare hands & a dull pencil, killed a rogue mountain lion that was terrorizing his campsite.

Atleast we know the guy has heart.

I read it was a pack of giant space hamsters all being controlled by a rogue mountain lion, and all he had was a loaf of stale french bread which he broke in half and tied together using a shoe-lace to create nunchuks.

Easy 6
05-23-2007, 06:58 AM
I read it was a pack of giant space hamsters all being controlled by a rogue mountain lion, and all he had was a loaf of stale french bread which he broke in half and tied together using a shoe-lace to create nunchuks.

Theres obviously more to this story than what he or the press is letting on.

L.A. Chieffan
05-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Hmmm a Mt. Sac guy? That's cool.

Sully
05-23-2007, 08:43 AM
one must be able to disengage himself from a blocker to move side to side to "occupy" surrounding gaps.
If you need 2-gap players, that's very important.

In the Cover 2 that we are running, we only expect the players to occupy one gap.

InChiefsHell
05-23-2007, 09:51 AM

Rich Scanlon can do it...

Eric
05-23-2007, 10:18 AM
'He collapses the pocket'

Enough said. Point made. Ofcourse it goes over the head of the knowitalls.

Phobia
05-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Link please.

Easy 6
05-23-2007, 10:44 AM
It'll certainly be interesting to see what he brings to the table, but he's a full notch better than Reed & Edwards right off the bat.

Hopefully, he was a 'lil lost in the shuffle in Chicago & can break out with a bigger role here.

kcchiefsus
05-23-2007, 10:51 AM
one must be able to disengage himself from a blocker to move side to side to "occupy" surrounding gaps.

No, this is the cover 2. In the cover 2 each lineman is responsible only for his one gap.

InChiefsHell
05-23-2007, 01:11 PM
It'll certainly be interesting to see what he brings to the table, but he's a full notch better than Reed & Edwards right off the bat.

Hopefully, he was a 'lil lost in the shuffle in Chicago & can break out with a bigger role here.

I dunno. I think being lost in the shuffle in Chicago is easy when every friggin one of the starters is a stud at their position. (On defense, that is...)

I figure, Chicago's castoffs are probably better than our starters, especially one with that kind of time in the league. I think Boone will be great for us.

bdeg
05-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Does he line up at NT or as a 3-technique?

I've heard both so some clarification would be great.

Easy 6
05-23-2007, 01:45 PM
I dunno. I think being lost in the shuffle in Chicago is easy when every friggin one of the starters is a stud at their position. (On defense, that is...)

I figure, Chicago's castoffs are probably better than our starters, especially one with that kind of time in the league. I think Boone will be great for us.

He's not Tommie Harris by any means, but i took a look & his 06 #'s compare way more than favorably to both Tank Johnson & Ian Scott.

Tank Johnson - 14gm 22tak 4asst 3.5sack

Ian Scott - 15gm 15tak 7asst 0sack

Boone - 12gm 22tak 4asst 2sack

We're not getting some scrub, thats for sure, he was a solid part of that rotation. I love the way this D is shaping up.

bdeg
05-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Bump
Somebody's gotta be able to answer my question...

Direckshun
05-24-2007, 07:57 AM
No way does Boone pass as a 3-technique. From what I've read, he doesn't have the athleticism.

This is as NT as we've got this year.

Cochise
05-24-2007, 08:06 AM

Our defense is based on quantum mechanics.

the Talking Can
05-24-2007, 08:31 AM

read Thomas Pynchon's latest novel...