PDA

View Full Version : LOL @ East Coast Sports Programming Network

Silock
05-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Anyone else find it EXTREMELY amusing that they're all crying because no East teams are going to get Durant or Oden?

Sam Hall
05-24-2007, 09:48 AM
The Celtics are acting like their franchise is toast after they tanked their season to get Oden or Durant.

BIG_DADDY
05-24-2007, 10:04 AM
The Celtics are acting like their franchise is toast after they tanked their season to get Oden or Durant.

ROFL

And the division between the West and East continues. I hate the Celtics.

Deberg_1990
05-24-2007, 10:07 AM
They all use excuses like "Its for the good of the league for the Knicks, Celtics, etc.......to get a top pick and be good"

HAHAHAHAHA.....

I kind of feel bad for them i guess, but its just the luck of the draw....

BIG_DADDY
05-24-2007, 10:10 AM
They all use excuses like "Its for the good of the league for the Knicks, Celtics, etc.......to get a top pick and be good"

HAHAHAHAHA.....

I kind of feel bad for them i guess, but its just the luck of the draw....

I don't. It gives ESPN one more reason to talk about East coast teams all night. ESPN coverage of Boston and New York in football and baseball already takes up half their time.

Deberg_1990
05-24-2007, 10:13 AM
I don't. It gives ESPN one more reason to talk about East coast teams all night. ESPN coverage of Boston and New York in football and baseball already takes up half their time.

Yea, i get sick of that too.

MLB should just do ESPN a favor. Contract and become the Red Sox/Yankees Baseball league....

HolmeZz
05-24-2007, 10:24 AM
East Coast rulez.

Woodrow Call
05-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Never have understood why the NBA does the lottery. Makes no sense to me.

Deberg_1990
05-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Never have understood why the NBA does the lottery. Makes no sense to me.

To keep teams from pulling a "Celtics" and tanking the season intentionally. Obviously, teams still do it anyways....

But its still just the luck of the draw...

pikesome
05-24-2007, 11:02 AM
To keep teams from pulling a "Celtics" and tanking the season intentionally. Obviously, teams still do it anyways....

Because in the NBA one great player can/will make a team. Smaller rosters and the way the game's marketed means a lot rides on one draft. The NFL has less this problem because even drafting the greatest player ever (Barry Sanders for example) doesn't mean you'll go anywhere.

eazyb81
05-24-2007, 11:28 AM
I think what ESPN is trying to say is that we have two amazing superstars coming into this league, yet the extreme majority of the population will not be able to see their games on a regular basis. West coast games tend to start as late as 9:30 or 10:00 at night on the east coast, and very few will regularly stay up to watch. Even for us in KC, who can honestly say they have stayed up to watch a few regular season west coast games during the week?

It's great for Portland, Seattle, and the rest of the west coast, but I don't think there's any doubt that the NBA lost some money and marketing power with the results of the draft lottery.

Fruit Ninja
05-24-2007, 11:31 AM
I will say it again. **** the east coast. Not anyone in the west coasts fault that the nba starts the games at 7:30 PST.

Year in and year out, i get to hear spoilers and people tell me what happend with TV shows. So they will be ok.

*edit* Hell when Kobe was dropping 50 points a game, people ever very interested all over the USA. IF someone is good enough, people will watch.

BIG_DADDY
05-24-2007, 11:32 AM
I think what ESPN is trying to say is that we have two amazing superstars coming into this league, yet the extreme majority of the population will not be able to see their games on a regular basis. West coast games tend to start as late as 9:30 or 10:00 at night on the east coast, and very few will regularly stay up to watch. Even for us in KC, who can honestly say they have stayed up to watch a few regular season west coast games during the week?

It's great for Portland, Seattle, and the rest of the west coast, but I don't think there's any doubt that the NBA lost some money and marketing power with the results of the draft lottery.

I am so sick of East coast coverage I could care less if another great player ever goes out there. As it is now the Yankees get more coverage than almost all the West coast teams combined and they are sucking ass.

OnTheWarpath58
05-24-2007, 11:34 AM

Let's just get rid of all the teams west of the Mississippi then......

:rolleyes:

eazyb81
05-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Let's just get rid of all the teams west of the Mississippi then......

:rolleyes:

Care to refute anything I said?

Deberg_1990
05-24-2007, 11:37 AM

I havent seen anyone mention it yet, but Seattle could become the KC Sonics in a few years. (hopefully)

Wouldnt it be nice to see Oden or Durant play in KC???

eazyb81
05-24-2007, 11:38 AM
I am so sick of East coast coverage I could care less if another great player ever goes out there. As it is now the Yankees get more coverage than almost all the West coast teams combined and they are sucking ass.

I agree that it sucks, but apparently it's also profitable.

eazyb81
05-24-2007, 11:38 AM
I havent seen anyone mention it yet, but Seattle could become the KC Sonics in a few years. (hopefully)

Wouldnt it be nice to see Oden or Durant play in KC???

Yes that would be awesome, but i'm guessing they go to OKC if they move.

Sure-Oz
05-24-2007, 11:43 AM
I dont understand how the lottery works, it should just be the same asthe NFL worst team gets first pick

Sure-Oz
05-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Celt's likely will draft Yao II or Jap Dirk, or the next Zhu Zhu Wang

Deberg_1990
05-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I dont understand how the lottery works, it should just be the same asthe NFL worst team gets first pick

It did used to be that way.....

I think they started the Lottery in 1984 for the reasons already mentioned.

If i remember right, Patrick Ewing was the first lottery pick??

noa
05-24-2007, 11:45 AM

Not only that, but it furthers the discrepancy of talent between the Eastern and Western Conferences.
Still, I'm happy they ended up in the West so they can play against the likes of Garnett, Duncan, Kobe, Amare, and Dirk more often.

OnTheWarpath58
05-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Care to refute anything I said?

In this age of DTV and sports programming packages, I don't think it's nearly the issue the hacks like Stephen A Smith are making it on ESPN.

Personally, I think it goes both ways.

Who on the West Coast is going to leave work early and rush home to watch a Knicks/Celtics game starting at 4:30 local time? Where are the WC'ers bitching?

But people in LA, Phoenix, Denver, Utah, etc who are true BB fans will probably watch Portland/Seattle on nights when their team isn't playing.

East Coast fans watch mostly East Coast games, and West Coast fans watch mostly West Coast games. Oden and Durant are not going to change that. Ratings aren't going to be any different, IMO

OnTheWarpath58
05-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Not only that, but it furthers the discrepancy of talent between the Eastern and Western Conferences.

Let's rig the draft lottery so the first 5 picks are EC teams.....//David Stern

SithCeNtZ
05-24-2007, 11:53 AM
In this age of DTV and sports programming packages, I don't think it's nearly the issue the hacks like Stephen A Smith are making it on ESPN.

Who on the West Coast is going to leave work early and rush home to watch a Knicks/Celtics game starting at 4:30 local time? Where are the WC'ers bitching?

But people in LA, Phoenix, Denver, Utah, etc who are true BB fans will probably watch Portland/Seattle on nights when their team isn't playing.

East Coast fans watch mostly East Coast games, and West Coast fans watch mostly West Coast games. Oden and Durant are not going to change that. Ratings aren't going to be any different, IMO

Bingo. Plus everyone seems to forget that they do play teams on the east/central time zone. By my count they play 26 times in those regions. So if you move a few home games for either team to saturday/sunday afternoon, you get almost half of their games able to be on tv for the east/central time zone people.

BIG_DADDY
05-24-2007, 11:55 AM
I agree that it sucks, but apparently it's also profitable.

Apparently so is trying to buy your championships every year but it doesn't make it good for the game.

eazyb81
05-24-2007, 11:56 AM

It definitely goes both ways, but from a business perspective, they stand to make a lot more money by bringing in the east coast viewers rather than the west coast. There are simply a lot more potential customers in the east than there are out west.

BIG_DADDY
05-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Let's rig the draft lottery so the first 5 picks are EC teams.....//David Stern :thumb:

BIG_DADDY
05-24-2007, 11:59 AM
It definitely goes both ways, but from a business perspective, they stand to make a lot more money by bringing in the east coast viewers rather than the west coast. There are simply a lot more potential customers in the east than there are out west.

The system has to be fair for the sport to thrive to it's potential, period.

The East coast misses out on all kinds of good things, MMA for example. Is it any wonder ESPN won't cover it and opts to show kickboxing from 15 years ago instead? Being from the West coast I hate ESPN. Their bias is BS. I watch it as little as possible.

Silock
05-24-2007, 12:22 PM

They're losing money and marketing power because they SUCK. Period.

Look at the Knicks and the boneheaded moves they made. It's no one's fault west of the Mississippi that they're so retarded but their own.

BIG_DADDY
05-24-2007, 12:23 PM
They're losing money and marketing power because they SUCK. Period.

Look at the Knicks and the boneheaded moves they made. It's no one's fault west of the Mississippi that they're so retarded but their own.

If the entire network wasn't all about the East Coast this wouldn't be such a big deal to them.

Fruit Ninja
05-24-2007, 12:30 PM
The system has to be fair for the sport to thrive to it's potential, period.

The East coast misses out on all kinds of good things, MMA for example. Is it any wonder ESPN won't cover it and opts to show kickboxing from 15 years ago instead? Being from the West coast I hate ESPN. Their bias is BS. I watch it as little as possible.
espn issyarting with mma