PDA

View Full Version : Weight is more than a problem

convict1983
05-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Americans are fat. There’s no denying that the whole country’s been fighting obesity for many years now. TV shows like “The Biggest Loser” and movies like “Super Size Me” have gone a long way to demonstrating that not only it is a problem, but that people are at the point where they are ready and willing to do something about it. However, what business owners might not know is that their employees’ weight problems are hurting business.

Ballooning employees are trimming profits

A study released in April found that overweight workers cost their employers more in injury claims than their healthier colleagues. The fattest workers had 13 times the missed workdays as the healthy workers because of work-related injuries, and their medical claims for the injuries were seven times higher.

Couple the immediate financial losses of injury claims with the future health care costs of weight-related illnesses like diabetes and heart disease, and having a bevy of overweight workers on staff suddenly gets very expensive.
However, if employers treat the fatter employees differently from the leaner ones, they’re opening themselves up to discrimination lawsuits.

The Duke University researchers who conducted the study recommended that employers look into sponsoring company fitness programs in order to combat the problem. Though fitness programs may be a bit pricey right off the bat, it will go a long way to saving money in injury claims in the long run.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/05/21/weight-is-more-than-a-problem/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hottest-host.com%2Fhotpiks%2Fweight.html&frame=true

Man, I really cant stand fat people. One of my co-workers is very obese and he always complains that healthy food costs too much, I just shake my head. :shake:

OnTheWarpath58
05-24-2007, 11:59 AM
One of my co-workers is very obese and he always complains that healthy food costs too much, I just shake my head. :shake:

Celery costs more than a Triple Cheeseburger, Fries and a Milkshake?

What grocery store is his tubby ass shopping at?

El Jefe
05-24-2007, 12:00 PM
I agree and you didnt even mention some of the other shows on right now. Like celebrity "fat" club, TLC has this show called Inside Broohaven Obesity Clinic.

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-24-2007, 12:05 PM
However, if employers treat the fatter employees differently from the leaner ones, they’re opening themselves up to discrimination lawsuits.
But it's OK to treat smokers differently from non-smokers. I never understood that.

Dartgod
05-24-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm doing my part. I've lost 20 lbs in the last month....without exercising.

OnTheWarpath58
05-24-2007, 12:09 PM

Good for you. I need to do the same.

Cut out soda or just eating better?

Both?

tyton75
05-24-2007, 12:09 PM
But it's OK to treat smokers differently from non-smokers. I never understood that.

me either... how is that not discrimination or some chit?!?

Buehler445
05-24-2007, 12:10 PM
I understand this. I work with a horriblly obese person, and I can't help but think about what would be running through my mind if I were interviewing her. I wouldnt guess that she would live past 50, and she would be a horrible liability to my health insurance, particularly if I had a small employee pool.

Pestilence
05-24-2007, 12:10 PM
I've been on the fat side....and honestly.....these people just need to get off their ass and do something about it.

I was 280 when I graduated high school. I was a fat ass...and didn't really care. All it took was losing some weight to join the Air Force and they whipped my ass into shape.

January of 2006 I weighed in at 260 again. I realized what I need to do...and now I'm down to 200....only 15 more lbs to go until my goal.

All I'm saying....is that it's on the person. Stop eating so much and work out a little....jesus.

tyton75
05-24-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm doing my part though... I lost 85pounds since August.. without exercising!

*I did get a Laproscopic Band though.. so I cheated

King_Chief_Fan
05-24-2007, 12:12 PM
I see far more sickness, issues, tardiness, absences, use of medical benefit from "fat" people than I do smokers.

Health insurance premiums at my company are higher if you smoke. I am o.k. with that since it doesn't impact me. I think the same should happen with those who are unhealthy in other respects.....hard to gauge I know.

Donger
05-24-2007, 12:12 PM
I can't imagine what it feels like to lose that much weight. One must feel like another person.

Pestilence
05-24-2007, 12:15 PM
I can't imagine what it feels like to lose that much weight. One must feel like another person.

It's interesting to say the least. When I was 185 and looked in the mirror....I still saw 280.

BIG_DADDY
05-24-2007, 12:15 PM

That's great Bob, congratulations. :thumb:

Why no exercise though? :shrug:

Dartgod
05-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Good for you. I need to do the same.

Cut out soda or just eating better?

Both?
Eating better. 5 meals a day.

Breakfast - 4 boiled egss (no yolk) or egg white omelet, cup of oatmeal and fruit.

mid-morning - 4 oz chicken or turkey, 1/2 cup of carb (rice, potato or small apple)

Lunch - 4oz chicken or turkey, cup of carbs, 1-2 cups of veggies (i usually eat raw carrots)

Mid-afternoon - Repeat mid-morning

Dinner - pretty much a repeat of lunch

Evening snack - cup of fruit, fresh pineapple is my favorite.

The biggest thing is I have all but cut bread out of my diet. What i am doing has reprogrammed my body to burn fat. I can also substitute seafood (shrimp, crab, fish) for any of the proteins. I can also eat red meat at dinner, but in smaller quantities.

I do stray from time to time, but always get right back to the routine.

Dartgod
05-24-2007, 12:23 PM
That's great Bob, congratulations. :thumb:

Why no exercise though? :shrug:
Laziness I suppose. Baby steps....

booger
05-24-2007, 12:25 PM
My ass looks fat in these pants. I should wear something different.

Dartgod
05-24-2007, 12:26 PM
My ass looks fat in these pants. I should wear something different.
ROFL

"Do these pants make my ass look fat?"

"No. Your ass makes your ass look fat."

booger
05-24-2007, 12:31 PM
ROFL

"Do these pants make my ass look fat?"

"No. Your ass makes your ass look fat."
ROFL

Simplex3
05-24-2007, 01:12 PM
It's f**ked up. You'll be doing something simple, like tying your shoes, and you'll realize that you aren't having to hold your breath anymore. You'll look down one day and notice that you can see your shoes again. You'll be bouncing up a flight of stairs and think "when the hell did I start this?"

Then you realize that you've lost 100lbs and you've basically stopped carrying a teenage girl around on your back all day.

Simplex3
05-24-2007, 01:14 PM
There are no medical conditions that cause you to smoke. :shrug:

That's not to say all fatasses have a medical condition. I sure as hell don't. I'd say most probably don't.

Jayhawkerman2001
05-24-2007, 01:33 PM
me either... how is that not discrimination or some chit?!?

i wouldn't say its discrimination at all. Us non-smokers don't want to suffer from a smokers decision to smoke, because the smell is rather unbearable. Also, a lot of people have allergies that would die if they were near smokers smoking.

OnTheWarpath58
05-24-2007, 01:36 PM
i wouldn't say its discrimination at all. Us non-smokers don't want to suffer from a smokers decision to smoke, because the smell is rather unbearable. Also, a lot of people have allergies that would die if they were near smokers smoking.

Sitting next to a fatass at the office doesn't hurt me PHYSICALLY.

Sitting next to a chain-smoker blowing three packs a day in my face DOES.

Calcountry
05-24-2007, 01:36 PM
I would never have guessed that so many fat people sit around a computer all day posting on a football BB in the off season. No wonder they don't have time to exercise.

Calcountry
05-24-2007, 01:37 PM
I cut back on my posting here, and I lost 10 pounds in the first week. You should try it.

tyton75
05-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Sitting next to a fatass at the office doesn't hurt me PHYSICALLY.

Sitting next to a chain-smoker blowing three packs a day in my face DOES.

I totally understand that, but what I'm saying is how can they have a foot to stand on legally.

I try to be very aware of when I smoke and who I'm smoking around. But how can they discriminate against a smoker, but not against someone who is fat or even someone who has a known disease like HIV or something.. just seems like smokers get a bad shake

tyton75
05-24-2007, 01:44 PM
I use the same kinda argument against seatbelts... how can they pull all this Click IT or Ticket crap when I see motorcycles all over the place and they don't have a seatbelt on! :)

Simplex3
05-24-2007, 01:51 PM
I totally understand that, but what I'm saying is how can they have a foot to stand on legally.

I try to be very aware of when I smoke and who I'm smoking around. But how can they discriminate against a smoker, but not against someone who is fat or even someone who has a known disease like HIV or something.. just seems like smokers get a bad shake
Uhm, because you CHOSE to start smoking? If someone chose to infect themselves with HIV you might have a point...

tyton75
05-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Uhm, because you CHOSE to start smoking? If someone chose to infect themselves with HIV you might have a point...

You could argue that people CHOSE to be fat too. If smoking is SO terrible, make it illegal. But since its legal, how can smokers legally be discriminated against?

tyton75
05-24-2007, 02:00 PM

And maybe I'm a dik.. but I would rather work with a couple people that are smokers, than a couple people with HIV

Dartgod
05-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Sitting next to a chain-smoker blowing three packs a day in my face DOES.This is the anti-smoking arguement that pisses me off to no end.

First of all, he isn't sitting next to you when he's smoking. Unless you work where smoking is still allowed in the office. I find that highly unlikely. Maybe you work in a bar somewhere?

Secondly, if you do happen to walk past him on your way into the building, you aren't inhaling enough smoke to cause any damage. It's not like he's blowing three packs worth of smoke into your lungs in that 5 second time frame.

I understand the concerns of the non-smoker, i.e., health care costs, etc. But grossly exaggerating the facts doesn't help the anti-smoking Nazi's cause one bit.

Simplex3
05-24-2007, 02:44 PM
This is the anti-smoking arguement that pisses me off to no end.

First of all, he isn't sitting next to you when he's smoking. Unless you work where smoking is still allowed in the office. I find that highly unlikely. Maybe you work in a bar somewhere?

Secondly, if you do happen to walk past him on your way into the building, you aren't inhaling enough smoke to cause any damage. It's not like he's blowing three packs worth of smoke into your lungs in that 5 second time frame.

I understand the concerns of the non-smoker, i.e., health care costs, etc. But grossly exaggerating the facts doesn't help the anti-smoking Nazi's cause one bit.
Here at the customer site I'm at they have these nice chairs and tables set up outside on a patio that kind of overlooks a lake. It's great. Except that if you sit there you're going to be sitting in a freaking cloud. Smokers are hanging around out there all day, shooting the shit, some of them take their laptops out and work...

Those of us who don't want to smell like an ashtray are left out.

The thing that pisses me off the most about working with most smokers is that every time you need them they're nowhere to be found.

Stewie
05-24-2007, 02:48 PM
My good friend is a GP. He says from his perspective the biggest expenses in health care are hypochondriacs (which he says is about 15-20% of his business) and the expense of hospitalization/tests/surgery/meds in the last few months of someone's life. It doesn't matter if they're 50 and an alcoholic who smoked 5 packs a day, or 85 y.o. grandpa who did none of that, but still has serious medical problems that are very expensive to treat. Death ain't pretty and clinging on to life is expensive as hell.

tyton75
05-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Here at the customer site I'm at they have these nice chairs and tables set up outside on a patio that kind of overlooks a lake. It's great. Except that if you sit there you're going to be sitting in a freaking cloud. Smokers are hanging around out there all day, shooting the shit, some of them take their laptops out and work...

The thing that pisses me off the most about working with most smokers is that every time you need them they're nowhere to be found.

So thats reason enough to allow Health care companies to single them out and make their rates higher??

with that logic, I think Ugly people should have to pay higher health care rates because of the trends of depression..

Cochise
05-24-2007, 02:51 PM
The fattest workers had 13 times the missed workdays as the healthy workers ...

I've always noticed this just looking around the office at who seems to be absent the most.

Cochise
05-24-2007, 02:54 PM
i wouldn't say its discrimination at all. Us non-smokers don't want to suffer from a smokers decision to smoke, because the smell is rather unbearable.

Well boo hoo there Polly Prissypants, you don't like the fact that some people smell like smoke? I don't like people who have BO or wear excessive cologne or heat up disgusting smelling leftovers in the break room. Can we ban them from the office too?

If they aren't blowing it on you all day then BFD.

Simplex3
05-24-2007, 02:55 PM
So thats reason enough to allow Health care companies to single them out and make their rates higher??

with that logic, I think Ugly people should have to pay higher health care rates because of the trends of depression..
Life insurance rates are more expensive for people who engage in high risk activities, too. So what?

Also, if you think weight isn't taken into consideration with health insurance premiums you can think again. The first thing they want to know is if you smoke, #2 is if you're fat. From there they go into cancer, etc. The cost for obesity is spread across the group at most medium and up companies.

Once again, though, you would have to diagnose every obese person to determine if the cause was genetic, a thyroid problem, etc. or just plain laziness and over-eating before you could give them an individual rate increase. Being fat isn't always a choice, however I would guess 95% of the time it is.

There's absolutely no doubt that smokers are doing so by choice.

Iowanian
05-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Smokers and fat people both smell funny....

moldy ash tray vs musky belly button and stale corn chips....

OnTheWarpath58
05-24-2007, 02:56 PM

You're CHOOSING to smoke. You are willingly taking years off of your life, and ignoring the health risks.

What's sad is people who suffer from depression having a hard time getting health/life insurance because they take anti-depression medication.

THAT'S discrimination. They didn't CHOOSE depression, bi-polar, schizophrenia, etc. It chose them.

Dartgod
05-24-2007, 02:59 PM

Valid concerns.

Iowanian
05-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Smokers take alot more breaks, thats for certain....but I also notice the beefasaurus cruising to the break room looking for grazing items fairly often as well.

My favorite thing, is when my boss drops in after smoking his cheap cigs(you know, the ones that have that extra funky stank that lingers for hours) and then hangs his coat on the rack behind me before going off to some other area to do whatever it is he's doing between "kramering" in and out.

BIG_DADDY
05-24-2007, 03:04 PM

I was never for all the smoking bans out here in California but I got to say I really appreciate them after spending some time out of here. I think I would like them even if I did smoke.

tyton75
05-24-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't have a problem with places not allowing smoking, I don't have a problem going outside to smoke when I'm at those places..

But why can't the restaurants, bars, etc CHOOSE to make their establishments non-smoking.. why does the government have to get involved with stupid little crap like this?

tyton75
05-24-2007, 03:13 PM
*hope this doesn't end up in D.C. sorry :P

BIG_DADDY
05-24-2007, 03:14 PM
I don't have a problem with places not allowing smoking, I don't have a problem going outside to smoke when I'm at those places..

But why can't the restaurants, bars, etc CHOOSE to make their establishments non-smoking.. why does the government have to get involved with stupid little crap like this?

I agree, that's why I wasn't for the ban. That being said I do enjoy actually smelling food in restaurants now.

Bob Dole
05-24-2007, 03:19 PM

And a greasy, sweating lardass smells like roses?

keg in kc
05-24-2007, 04:30 PM
And a greasy, sweating lardass smells like roses?I don't think I smell so bad.

Simplex3
05-24-2007, 04:51 PM

...because Americans are giant pussies. Nobody is willing to take a stand, and in some cases rightfully so. We also sue the hell out of people over dumb crap.

Calcountry
05-25-2007, 04:56 PM
...because Americans are giant pussies. Nobody is willing to take a stand, and in some cases rightfully so. We also sue the hell out of people over dumb crap.No doubt. Here is an example: A lady that called me, thinks it is o.k. to spend 100 bucks on a sick chicken by taking it to a vet.

Rain Man
05-25-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't think I smell so bad.

Um, check your pm's.

Phobia
05-25-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm getting ready to go pickup my L pizza right now. It has plenty of healthy vegetables on it.

luv
05-25-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm almost to 40 lbs on the year. Cut out soda completely, I only indulge in something sweet whenever I'm just craving it (like a woman is gonna cut chocolate out completely), and I only eat out once per week.

I'm mainly just counting calories. I try to stick below 1000/day M-F, and then let myself loose a little on the weekends.

DomerNKC
05-25-2007, 07:37 PM
bite me im 307

listopencil
05-25-2007, 07:51 PM
and I only eat out once per week.

Link?

tmax63
05-25-2007, 07:53 PM
I thought it was a good exercise as long as you don't just "lay there" :p

luv
05-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Man, I really cant stand fat people. One of my co-workers is very obese and he always complains that healthy food costs too much, I just shake my head. :shake:
Have you guys ever shopped for Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, or Smart Ones meals? Some of them can get rather pricy (for the ones that actually taste good). I've learned to cook healthier, but several people who aren't into cooking look to frozen meals like that. It's not like they're going to break the bank, but still.

You also get more food in a Hungry Man type of frozen dinner for about the same price, if not cheaper. What I would suggest is making one dinner into two meals. The problem is, not a lot of people would do that.

My big thing is exercise. If I have a day when I've eaten a few more calories than normal, then I make sure to do a little extra exercise.

It is just a matter of deciding that you're going to do it and getting off of your lazy ass.

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-25-2007, 08:27 PM
What I would suggest is making one dinner into two meals.
You mean like, instead of eating the whole package of hot dogs, only eat four of them and save the rest for later?

JBucc
05-25-2007, 08:38 PM
My strategy is to soak everything in bacon fat, then when I'm feeling a big hefty, I convert to Islam. Works every time.

luv
05-25-2007, 09:04 PM
You mean like, instead of eating the whole package of hot dogs, only eat four of them and save the rest for later?
A package of hot dogs should AT LEAST four meals.

RJ
05-25-2007, 10:03 PM
In an effort to tie together the two ongoing conversations in this thread.....

Four years ago I quit smoking. Best thing I ever did as far as health issues. Not to mention the savings, not smelling like an ashtray, being more productive at work, setting a good example for my daughter, etc, etc, etc..

But on the way I went from a slightly overweight 185 to a very overweight 205 or thereabouts. About two months ago I decided that had to change but I knew I couldn't do it the same way I quit smoking. It took me four years to get that heavy and I like to eat so I had to be patient. Anyway, I've since started eating more fish, seafood, fruits and vegetables and cut back on carbs. I only drink light beer (God help me) and rarely eat bread. Over about two months I've lost 18 pounds, down to 187. I'm kind of stuck now and need to exercise more, meaning I have to tackle another problem....time management. Sheesh, this stuff gets complicated.

Point being, lots of health issues are important but none of them are easy, at least not for most of us. I had a damn fine pepperoni and mushroom pizza tonight, but at least I didn't crave a smoke after.

luv
05-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Point being, lots of health issues are important but none of them are easy, at least not for most of us. I had a damn fine pepperoni and mushroom pizza tonight, but at least I didn't crave a smoke after.
Pepperoni and mushroom is my absolute favorite pizza! I haven't had pepperoni in forever.

RJ
05-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Pepperoni and mushroom is my absolute favorite pizza! I haven't had pepperoni in forever.

And my local purveyor, Sal-E-Boys, makes a kick- ass pepperoni and mushroom. It was worth the pound I will likely gain back from my previous loss.

DomerNKC
05-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Weight alone is not a problem. fat is a problem. This gets overlooked on the BMI chart as well as in articles. I have a 41 rating on the BMI. I am a professional mover. I move large objects every day. At 40 yrs old, i have more of a "front porch" than i would like, but i don't feel as though i am more "obese" then the average guy.

Mecca
05-26-2007, 05:44 PM
When Doctors bust out those weight charts I laugh so hard.........I couldn't weigh what that thing says I'm suppose to weigh if I was anorexic it doesn't take into account how you're built or anything like that.

Skip Towne
05-26-2007, 08:46 PM
I've always had problems with the "glandular condition fatty". I've seen hundreds of pictures of Auschwitz and Dachau and not a glandular fatty anywhere.

KChiefs1
05-26-2007, 09:56 PM
The BMI thing is way off....they don't take body frame into account at all.

DanT
06-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Ever since that bus accident at the end of November, I've been on a diet and exercise kick that has moved by body mass index from over 37 to close to under 31, a loss of over 50 pounds. The timing was good because it helped me look pretty healthy for my mid-May commencement ceremony in Chicago (for the Ph.D. in math I finished last summer) and for my first overseas trip, which was last week to Greece. Fifty-five pounds of a human takes up about a cubic foot of volume, so that's a lot of extra room on a long airplane ride. I have a pretty big frame--my chest is still over 46 inches and is more than 5 inches bigger than my (new) waist--so I'm inclined to want to consider the BMI guidelines to be somewhat dubious. On the other hand, it's hard for me to accept that having a BMI over, say, 28 is a good thing. Having that much weight pretty much means you're going to have a good chunk of fat tissue and all the problems it can cause to your health. Anyway, I'm gunning for somewhere in the merely overweight BMI range, 25 to 30. I'll be happy to be out of the obese range, which is typically defined as a BMI over 30, and I'll be especially happy if I can get my weight below the abdominal obesity threshold of 40 inches. I'm pretty close on both of those two standards. If I do make it, then the trick will be trying to maintain the loss. I've been a jogger all my life, so I've had big weight loss spurts a few times in the past, but my giant appetite usually comes back and I don't keep the weight off.

Here's a link to an article about the Waist-to-Hip ratio and BMI as risk factor measures:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14483512/

Simplex3
06-02-2007, 08:16 AM
I have a pretty big frame--my chest is still over 46 inches and is more than 5 inches bigger than my (new) waist--so I'm inclined to want to consider the BMI guidelines to be somewhat dubious. On the other hand, it's hard for me to accept that having a BMI over, say, 28 is a good thing. Having that much weight pretty much means you're going to have a good chunk of fat tissue and all the problems it can cause to your health.
First, congrats. It feels great, doesn't it?

Second, BMI is a s**t measurement. Some of the fittest people in the world have high BMIs. If we all strived for a perfect BMI we'd all look like the Dali Lama. You should worry about your body fat percentage and your overall cardiovascular health (Vo2 Max, resting heart rate, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VO2_max
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate#Resting_Heart_Rate_.28RHR.2C_HRrest.29

DanT
06-02-2007, 10:58 AM
First, congrats. It feels great, doesn't it?

Second, BMI is a s**t measurement. Some of the fittest people in the world have high BMIs. If we all strived for a perfect BMI we'd all look like the Dali Lama. You should worry about your body fat percentage and your overall cardiovascular health (Vo2 Max, resting heart rate, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VO2_max
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate#Resting_Heart_Rate_.28RHR.2C_HRrest.29

Yeah, it does feel pretty good being less big. It's nice being able to wear my old clothes and being more comfortable on airplanes and in office furniture. You lost a big amount of weight, recently, right? Congratulations!

With regard to BMI, I agree that there are some exceptional cases where the BMI isn't applicable. On the other hand, I think some of the musclebound folks that are cited as exceptional cases aren't necessarily that fit from a heart health perspective: guys with huge amounts of mass, whether it's muscle or fat are pushing the limit of what the human cardiovascular system and metabolic system is evolved to handle for the long haul, in my opinion. I do agree with you that measures derived from the heart rate and/or based on respiration give a more reliable indicator of cardiovascular health.

I do use my resting heart rate as a crude measure of my overall health: in periods of my life when my jogging is going well, my resting pulse is well below 60--I've clocked it in the low 40's at night; when my jogging isn't going well and I'm eating badly, I am in the 70's. Heuristically, I suppose this to be a simple function of how easy it is for the heart to be the demands placed on it. When I drop a bunch of weight, the heart has to pump blood through less of me than before and it's more efficient at its job, hence the dramatic decrease in the resting pulse rate.

Thanks for the links. Those were interesting reading!

greg63
06-02-2007, 11:05 AM

Atkins???

Bowser
06-02-2007, 11:14 AM
When Doctors bust out those weight charts I laugh so hard.........I couldn't weigh what that thing says I'm suppose to weigh if I was anorexic it doesn't take into account how you're built or anything like that.

True. A 5'9 male is supposed to weigh something like in the 155 range. I'm 5'9, and if I weighed around 155, people would think I had a terminal disease or something.

Coach
06-02-2007, 11:29 AM
The real problem of the weight gain is....

You ready for this?

TV Commericals.

Yes, the commercials are getting longer, which enables us Americans to raid the fridge.

:D