PDA

View Full Version : When Will The Chiefs Get Their New Starting QB?

AJKCFAN
04-18-2001, 03:28 PM
We're talking Green, Dilfer, Beuerlein, Brees, or perhaps a remote chance of either trading up for Vick or trading for Plummer (if the Cards get Green).

It seems like Christmas is when we'll find the Chiefs QB, under our tree, but realistically, it will be when...

Logical
04-18-2001, 03:56 PM
Why would the Chiefs make a move after the draft but before June 1st. To me this makes no sense whatsoever as further Cap casualties may become available after June 1st after teams release QBs for cap reasons but with the intent to minimize the Signing bonus negative effect (1/2 of remainder of signing bonus after June 1st, full hit for remainder of signing bonus before June 1st)

It is not like Beurlein and Dilfer are going to be snapped up, and Beurlein's injury status will be understood much better, and as much as I hate to say this after June 1st is the last magic date on Trent Green. The Rams would be hit with only half of his remaining bonus monies (original signing and the recent 1/2 million) after June 1st with Green's knee status being clear as well.

Sorry folks, for those of you waiting on the QB answer, if we do not know Saturday most likely we will not know until after June 1st.

Now having said that, and as much as I hate this, I feel that we will trade for Green Saturday.

AJKCFAN
04-18-2001, 06:34 PM
Jim:

There's one big reason why...

Mini-camp

Chiefs would have to have their starting QB, whomever that may be, acquire a taste to the Chiefs offensive system.

That's the only reason why I voted for after the draft, before June 1 scenario.

kcred
04-18-2001, 06:45 PM
I, too, voted for after the draft, and before June 1. My reasoning, I don't think either side will budge, and then they will sort things out. Jim, you are right about Bline, no sense doing it til he passes a physical, Dilfer though, could come in go thru mini camps, etc., and one of those is in May. As for Green, it makes no difference, if they trade him, he counts now, and against this years cap, now if they are releasing him, I wish, then they could spread it over two years.

Logical
04-18-2001, 06:58 PM
KCRED,

I am not sure about the Cap implications, but I thought I had read that even in the event of a trade the cap hit works the same as a release after June 1st.

Does anyone know for sure?

AJKCFan,

As it stands today Beurlein and Trent Green probably won't make the mini camps. I suspect that unless Dilfer signs an incentive laden contact that is going to count around $750K against the cap this year we are not going to be signing him as either a starter or backup. If he signs for that amount he will be in position to compete for the starters job but end up as the backup. Just my opinion on Dilfer. He just does not fit my view of our move to the AirSaunders offense based on the old AirCoryell offense.

milkman
04-18-2001, 07:42 PM
With the Chiefs recent raiding of the Rams FAs, (if Tearmeil wanted to coach the Rams so badly, he shouldn't have retired) the deal for Green becomes more difficult, and less likely, IMO.
Any QB released after June 1 will be worse than the rejects and gimps already left on the FA market.
After the draft, the Chiefs will sign Dilfer, Maddox, and Druckenmiller and let them all battle for roster positions.

Logical
04-18-2001, 07:52 PM
Milkman,

Sometimes teams will let go of their prospects at QB after the draft for example the Jets appear to be overstocked as do New England and Tampa Bay. Therefore as they make cap room and sort out who they want to keep a prospect could be released or traded. Do not be so sure it will be a worse gimp etc. You sure are negative this offseason Milkman, why is that?

milkman
04-18-2001, 08:05 PM
Jim,
A couple of things go into it. I really wanted to see CP go elsewhere. And while I got my wish that Magoo, Limp Willie, and the 3 Stooges were sent packing, I just don't believe that Tearmeil is the right guy for this team, and the environment of KC. He seems, as I expected, to be trying to fit players into his (Saunders) system, instead fitting a system to his players, round hole/square peg kinda thing, and only has 3 years to do it, most likely.
In short, the CP/DV combo looks like a formula for continued mediocraty to me, and we had to give up draft picks to achieve that continued mediocraty.

Luzap
04-18-2001, 08:10 PM
Milkman,

I guess that's the reason that I like having DV here ~ we need to change our philosophy and style.

I am, apparently, much more optomistic about our team this year than most of our fan base. I not only think we'll have a winning season, I think we could sneak into the playoffs.

Luz
doesn't see the reason for the doom-n-gloom...

old_geezer
04-18-2001, 08:29 PM
Milkman,
If Dilfer, Maddox,and Druckenmiller are our QB's this year I will put a bullit in my TV now to put it out of its (and my) misery. :eek:

I voted for after the draft and before June 1 because I believe the atmosphere between the Rams and Chiefs right now precludes any trade.

WisChief
04-19-2001, 07:06 AM
I have no freak'n clue!!! :confused:

But my gut tells me that we will swap picks with St Louy and
they will get our 12 and we will get green and their 20.

Well.........

AJKCFAN
04-19-2001, 01:41 PM
Another thing to take into consideration is the Chiefs will feel enormous pressure if they leave the Draft empty-handed and without a solution to the QB problem.

It already has, but it's going to severely damage the Chiefs ability of signing free agents after the draft if they fail to land a QB by weekend's end...

milkman
04-19-2001, 06:22 PM
Luz,
I don't have a problem with the change in philosophy and style, but rather with the feeling that DV and AS are wanting to rush into it, which explains the burning desire DV has for getting Green, and his stated position that he doesn't have time to develop a QB.
What bothers me also is that I believe strongly that the best way to put a team together is through the draft, and losing those picks to sign DV just burns me.
It also irritates the hell out of me that he was the only guy that CP would even consider. That had he not returned to coaching for CP, then Magoo would still be here. Come on CP, you'd rather allow the teamto continue to fall into the crapper than replace a HC that clearly needed to be replaced.
I just don't like the mix. It worked in Philly years ago, but I just don't think it's going to work now. It just doesn't feel right.

AJKCFAN
04-20-2001, 11:43 PM
37 votes were tallied... and not a single one was right.

Not only did the Chiefs get Green, but they get his possible backup too.

We never saw it coming, at least not this soon...