PDA

View Full Version : Defending The King

Count Zarth
05-24-2007, 11:25 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/646541.html

Some people are enjoying raking Chiefs GM Carl Peterson over the coals for the way heís handled this Trent Green situation. Given Petersonís history, I realize some Chiefs fans may enjoy piling on, but itís not really appropriate.

Carl is doing the right thing. Heís holding his ground in a deal where he has almost nothing to lose Ė except that ground itself. If Green gets lost in the scuffle, so be it.

When you sign a large contract, as Green did in 2003 when he inked a 7-year, $50 million deal, youíre not just getting compensated for playing the high-risk sport of professional football. Youíre signing over your rights as a marketable commodity around the league.

Thatís what Green is. Maybe itís a harsh way of looking at it, but the stark reality of the situation is that to the Chiefs, Green is a pork belly. Heís gold, wheat, coffee and frozen orange juice (donít you love Trading Places?). Heís got value right now, and thereís at least one team willing to buy.

Green is not being treated unfairly. Had it not been for the Chiefs trading a first-round pick for him in 2001 and assembling a wealth of offensive talent around him, heíd be a footnote on the landscape of NFL history. His NFL bio would read like that of a Vietnam POW (career killed while attempting to escape from Rodney Harrison).

Trent Green has value today because he worked hard, yes. But the Chiefs gave him that opportunity.

And now heís complaining about it? Sorry Trent, but the Chiefs owe you nothing Ė apart from $7.2 million. And letís be honest, here. Millions of Americans would gladly accept that kind of payout to watch football games with their butts planted firmly in a seat. Heck, Iíd stand up Ė I already pay the Chiefs for that honor.

So criticize Carl all you want, but heís doing the right thing for the Chiefs. He wasnít hired to do the right thing for one player, and that isnít his job at present. This is a business, and Carl has to do the right thing for all 53 players on the roster and his coaching staff.

Remember the Priest Holmes situation following the 2002 season? Carl had to make sure Holmes could carry the load before paying him. He had to make sure his orange crop (Holmes) wasnít damaged by a passing freeze (the hip injury). He was doing the right thing for the football team (drafting Larry Johnson), even if it was woefully unpopular at the time.

And contrary to what some people might say, the extension of this standoff isnít going to hinder Brodie Croyleís development or create drama and distraction in the locker room. Itís May. Training camp doesnít start for well over a month. Herm Edwards understands that.

ďWeíre talking about the offseason,Ē said Edwards at Wednesdayís practice. ďAre you kidding me? This is the offseason and weíve had one practice, and all of a sudden we think itís a distraction? This is not a distraction in any stretch of the imagination.Ē

No, Carlís going to sit tight, sip some cool lemonade of leverage out on his patio of negotiation, and enjoy his KC summer of draft picks (the Chiefs could have as many as 12 or 13 picks in the next draft). Thereís no reason to rush things Ė not yet.

So donít vilify Carl over this. Green isnít Terrell Owens, but heís orchestrating almost the exact same scenario TO did when he vetoed a trade to the Baltimore Ravens a few years ago Ė it was Philadelphia or bust for Owens, who had already worked out a contract with the Eagles. Isnít that almost exactly what Green did with the Dolphins?

And itís not just about this deal. If that was the case, Iím sure it would already be done. If Carl caves now, he lets everyone around the league know he can be had in future negotiations. Look what happened to Daniel Snyder in Washington. Has there been an offseason since he bought the Redskins where he hasnít been taken for all heís worth in the trade market?

If Green really wants to play football sooner than later in 2007, maybe he should seek out an NFL team other than the Miami Dolphins Ė one that values him more than Enron stock.

Hold your ground, Carl.

Phobia
05-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Who wrote it, Clayton?

Phobia
05-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Okay, since it's your article, I'll participate.

I agree with everything that was said. In fact, I don't know why Carl isn't holding out for a 3rd.

Direckshun
05-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Well reasoned, well written. Good job.

Fishpicker
05-24-2007, 11:59 PM
agreed. I used to think of Green as the epitome of class. negotiations got held up and Trent started with this martyr-in-the-spotlight BS. Miami hasnt really shown that they are serious about this trade. Green should be pleading with Miami to get this deal done, not Carl.

Jayhawkerman2001
05-25-2007, 12:24 AM
What the ****!!! I do not get it when people are hating on trent green now... The guy wants to ****in start, and every single position on this team has gotten younger, meaning at the age of 37 with a quarterback at the age of 24 or 25 on the team, he's not really going to get the chance to start.

I don't understand how when trent has been the epitomey of class and good sportsmanship(taking pay cuts for us before, being offered a shit ton less in miami than he is here) fans jump down his throat in this situation. Everybody bitches when an athlete asks for umpteen millions of dollars and is a dick like a Terrell Owens, which is a warranted bitch offense. Everybody wants athletes to be how trent has been in his career here, yet they piss and moan when they want to beable to play instead of sit...

Somebody that wants to be a starter and thinks he can be the starter elsewhere isn't somebody that needs to be bagged on, because if stuck in that situation, nearly 90% of you would do the same

Luzap
05-25-2007, 12:33 AM
GoChiefs,

I will let you know that I agree with this article ~ but why did it take you so long to voice this position?

Luz
are you riding the winds of fate???...

AustinChief
05-25-2007, 12:48 AM
The fact is... Carl has his job because he is good at it... none of us are close to what he is at this positiion... it is way too easy to second guess... but I will bet CP does right by the Chiefs in this regard.

Fishpicker
05-25-2007, 12:53 AM
What the ****!!! I do not get it when people are hating on trent green now... The guy wants to ****in start, and every single position on this team has gotten younger, meaning at the age of 37 with a quarterback at the age of 24 or 25 on the team, he's not really going to get the chance to start.

I don't understand how when trent has been the epitomey of class and good sportsmanship(taking pay cuts for us before, being offered a shit ton less in miami than he is here) fans jump down his throat in this situation. Everybody bitches when an athlete asks for umpteen millions of dollars and is a dick like a Terrell Owens, which is a warranted bitch offense. Everybody wants athletes to be how trent has been in his career here, yet they piss and moan when they want to beable to play instead of sit...

Somebody that wants to be a starter and thinks he can be the starter elsewhere isn't somebody that needs to be bagged on, because if stuck in that situation, nearly 90% of you would do the same

Undermining management and coaches is low-brow regardless of what trent has done in the past. I havent seen anyone hate on trent. anytime somebody brings up a legitimate complaint they always include the classy caviat.

everybody knows it is just business but trent wanted to turn this around on Carl. He's just doing what he has to do. Trent can still make it to Miami in time for pre-season. I could empathize if Carl was deliberately antagonizing Green but, he isnt. As far as I know, Carl has been fair in terms of what is good for the team vs. what is good for trent.

penguinz
05-25-2007, 06:13 AM
I agree.

DenverDanChiefsFan
05-25-2007, 07:52 AM

What in this article is hating on Green? CP is doing his job - negotiating in the best interest of the Chiefs. I like TG, he did a good job for us but I am a Chiefs fan - not a TG fan.

HemiEd
05-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Good job Clayton, except for the part about Daniel Snyder. He was not hired, he bought the team and is trying to out Jerry Jones, Jerry Jones.

Count Zarth
05-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Good job Clayton, except for the part about Daniel Snyder. He was not hired, he bought the team and is trying to out Jerry Jones, Jerry Jones.

Ouch. Good point. I'll change that.

Fly O.T. McWall
05-25-2007, 09:47 AM
ROFL

rodney harrison = vietcong

crazycoffey
05-25-2007, 09:56 AM
good job Gochiefs.....
F the Carl Haters, Trent should Shut the F up and get prepared to play in what ever role he can, and forget thinking about the color of his helmet.

Miami is the bad guy in this, don't let anyone be fooled, they want trent, they need to pay for him. Hell I want a Porsche, but I can't just go steal one, I have to pay for it if I want it. Until then I'm stuck in my old nissan. I know of no Porsche dealer that will trade me straight up, if it were possible, then I would say F Carl, but it's not that way.

shrek6849
05-25-2007, 09:59 AM
The fact is... Carl has his job because he is good at it

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

penchief
05-25-2007, 11:35 AM

Somebody that wants to be a starter and thinks he can be the starter somewhere else should know that he's worth more than a sixth round pick. He knows it. The dolphins know it. And the chiefs know it.

Hell, everybody knows it. Trent should be pleading with the dolphins, not bagging on the chiefs. The chiefs don't owe Trent anything more than he owes us.

Donger
05-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Chiefs fans

Sigh.

Buehler445
05-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Nice job GoChiefs. Good points, and a bonus for the Trading Places :).

I especially like how you stuck to topic (Defending Carl), and stayed away from the popular perception (F Trent).

Nice Read

kc rush
05-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Pretty good article GoChiefs. I do believe that Carl is trying to do the right thing for the team now. Unfortunately, he is not blameless and hindsight is 20/20.

The way I see it, Carl and Herm should have told Trent that there would be an open competition for the QB job (not a weighted competition). They should have explained that they want to run all QBs with the first team to see what they all could do. At that point, if Trent stated that he wanted to explore other options, the Chiefs should have spoken with multiple teams and set up trade parameters then let Trent negotiate with the teams to get the financial offer he wanted. By letting Trent explore the opportunities, he has painted the team into a bit of a corner.

Since that isnít the way things played out, Carl is doing what is right for the team. It only makes sense for Carl to hold on to Trent until Miami ups their offer to what the Chiefs feel is fair, or to wait until another team comes into the picture (due to injury or suspension) that would be willing to make a reasonable offer and to pay Trentís current contract.

Of course Trent shares a lot of the blame by being willing to negotiate with Miami and not pushing them to up their offer. I heard Trentís agent on the radio yesterday saying that Trent had too much integrity to negotiate with Cleveland only to force Miami to up their trade offer or act more quickly (to benefit the Chiefs). If he had so much integrity he would do what it takes to help the team who holds his contract, and he would also shut up about not playing for the Chiefs again. The Chiefs own him and he would have to honor that contract if the Chiefs were to hold onto him. He would also do well to shut his agent up about flexible offers from Miami that donít really exist. Miami can call KC if they are willing to be flexible.

Miami is being stubborn and is not willing to up their trade offer to something reasonable, therefore they are the biggest culprit in the hold up. If they donít think that Trent is worth a 4th round pick, then they should just tell Trent and his agent that they donít value the QB that much and that he should look for other opportunities. If they are hoping that the Chiefs will cut Trent, they can wait for his services until the season starts if or when the Chiefs decide to let him go.

Uncle_Ted
05-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Not to nitpick, but it was frozen concentrated orange juice - FCOJ.

CoMoChief
05-25-2007, 02:49 PM
The fact is... Carl has his job because he is good at it...

No he still has this job because we as fans go to the games, fill up Arrowhead and spend our money and Carl fills up the Hunt's bank account. Carl keeps this team at 7-9,8-8,9-7 season after season and we as fans come back the next season with much hope thinking we are going to be playoff bound or take the next step. If Carl had records like we did in the 80's, the stadium wouldn't be full, fans wouldn't spend money, Carl wouldn't make Lamar any money, and eventually Carl would get fired.

We as fans are to blame why Carl is still around.