PDA

View Full Version : KC STAR - Harris in a perfect position

Count Zarth
05-24-2007, 11:32 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/122123.html

Harris in a perfect position

Chiefs’ new middle linebacker likes his team and the role he has been asked to play.

By JASON KING
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs acquired more than just a middle linebacker when they signed Napoleon Harris during the offseason.

They also got a control freak.

“Yeah, I guess you could say that,” Harris said earlier this week. “It’s not like I boss people around. I just don’t want to have the clamps put on me to where I can’t do something I’m accustomed to doing.

“That way I can’t control my own destiny.”

Along with his own fate, Harris may end up dictating Kansas City’s, too.

Searching for more athletic ability and playmaking ability at middle linebacker, the Chiefs signed Harris in March to replace Kawika Mitchell, who was lacking when it came to speed and mobility.

Harris, who is 6 feet 2 and 255 pounds, played three seasons with the Oakland Raiders and two with the Minnesota Vikings before becoming a free agent. Harris said he couldn’t be any happier with what he’s seen from the Chiefs during the first week of organized team activities (OTAs).

“This is one of the more athletic groups I’ve played with,” said Harris, who has 333 career tackles and six career sacks. “Hopefully that will translate into some wins.

“It’s always good to put defense at the forefront. If you go back and look at the great teams in history, defense has always been an important part of the team.”

A first-round pick out of Northwestern in 2002, Harris shouldn’t have too much trouble fitting in with the Cover 2 scheme used by Chiefs coach Herm Edwards. He played in a similar system the last two years in Minnesota.

Because of his agility, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Harris on the field on third down — even in passing situations.

Edwards said Harris’ athletic ability — coupled with the signing of outside linebacker Donnie Edwards — could make the Chiefs’ unit one of the most dangerous in the league. Kansas City’s other starting linebacker is Derrick Johnson, a first-round draft pick in 2005.

“They move around very well,” Herm Edwards said. “And our defensive line is very athletic all of a sudden, too. We’ve got some speed over there. We’re trying to do some things to create competition, to maybe push some guys. That’s what you want to do on your football team: You want to make guys compete within your team.”

Slowly but surely, Harris said he’s becoming acclimated to life as a Chief. He getting used to living in a new town and to being around a new group of players — and coaches.

Kansas City defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham is one of the more, uh, vocal coaches for whom Harris has played.

“That goes in one ear and comes out the other sometimes,” Harris said. “When it’s productive, that’s one thing. Other times it’s just his personality. I’m not here to stop anyone from being themselves, and I don’t think he’s trying to make me change the person I am.”

Johnson said Harris has been quick to make his presence felt.

“He’s always wanting to know where everyone is at,” Johnson said. “He’s always like, ‘Let me know what you’re going to do so I don’t have to be indecisive.’ He’s definitely vocal out there.”

Harris said he always has been.

Along with making tackles and forcing turnovers, Harris said he’s always viewed his leadership as one of the biggest contributions he can make to a team. Part of its stems from his character …

“And some of it just comes with the territory (of my position),” Harris said. “I … get guys lined up and take responsibility for the good and bad times the defense has. It comes with playing middle linebacker, which is similar to playing quarterback on offense.

“They wouldn’t have brought me in here if they didn’t think I was a leader. I know I think I’m a leader. It’s not something I’ve had to work hard at.”

Direckshun
05-24-2007, 11:36 PM
In before Mecca's caustic warnings about the oncoming years of Harris sucking away at our cap while breaking a limb every time he plays a down.

Direckshun
05-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Kansas City defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham is one of the more, uh, vocal coaches for whom Harris has played.

“That goes in one ear and comes out the other sometimes,” Harris said. “When it’s productive, that’s one thing. Other times it’s just his personality."
Well if that's not a shining endorsement, I don't know what is...

Direckshun
05-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Three posts in a row.

Direckshun
05-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Four posts in a row.

Direckshun
05-24-2007, 11:45 PM
You guys are boring the shit out of me tonight. :D

wazu
05-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Well if that's not a shining endorsement, I don't know what is...

Yeah, Napolean. Pay no attention to that guy screaming on the sidelines. Just do whatever the hell you feel like. Recipe for success.

Tribal Warfare
05-24-2007, 11:49 PM
That goes in one ear and comes out the other sometimes,” Harris said. “When it’s productive, that’s one thing. Other times it’s just his personality. I’m not here to stop anyone from being themselves, and I don’t think he’s trying to make me change the person I am.

one of the many reasons Gun shouldn't ever be a HC again

Fruit Ninja
05-25-2007, 12:23 AM
one of the many reasons Gun shouldn't ever be a HC again
Gun already said that.

Hog Farmer
05-25-2007, 06:46 AM
Three Pro Bowl Linebackers ......yeah baby!

Coogs
05-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Now this is the type of reporting I want to read with regards to the OTA's. Stuff that makes me want to start polishing up my homer glasses. I can't wait until we can start reading these type of articles on both sides of the ball.

Chiefnj
05-25-2007, 07:43 AM
"I know I think I’m a leader."

tyton75
05-25-2007, 07:45 AM
It would be nice if they did an article like this on each of the new comers.. like Boone, McGraw, MacIntosh.. etc

ChiTown
05-25-2007, 07:48 AM
I have to admit, I'm pretty excited about the prospects of this years LB corp.

InChiefsHell
05-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Isn't it ironic that we (or at least I) am not as worried about the defense as the offense? How quickly shit changes...

the Talking Can
05-25-2007, 08:27 AM
I've never paid much attention to him, I'm very curious to see how he plays...

contrary to the article, Kawika's problems were not speed and athleticism, it was his 2 cent head and inability to fight off blocks...

Easy 6
05-25-2007, 08:55 AM
This guy has a lot to prove before i jump on the hype-wagon, he couldnt stick with the fade or vikes, his career numbers are far less than impressive & to the best of my recollection, he's pretty much been considered a disappointment from day 1.

That 1st rounder status has lost its luster IMO, hopefully he can bust-out here...but...a good initial step would probably be to not start tuning out his DC by the first mini-camp.

This guy showed up here 'On The Bubble' as far as i'm concerned.

chiefsfan1963
05-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Isn't it ironic that we (or at least I) am not as worried about the defense as the offense? How quickly shit changes...

You are absolutely right our D is going to level of what DV got our O at.
Unfortunately, our O is going where Herm's Jet's O hung out.

Big questions on QB and OL spells mediority on O, and probably 8-8
season. I just hope for our sakes we have a rebuilding year and we are
4-12 or 5-11. I really want a Top 10 or 12 pick next year. We have all our draft picks next year plus some extras, I really want us to get some decent picks next year. Does anyone know if next year's draft class of players rated high?

InChiefsHell
05-25-2007, 09:09 AM
This guy has a lot to prove before i jump on the hype-wagon, he couldnt stick with the fade or vikes, his career numbers are far less than impressive & to the best of my recollection, he's pretty much been considered a disappointment from day 1.

That 1st rounder status has lost its luster IMO, hopefully he can bust-out here...but...a good initial step would probably be to not start tuning out his DC by the first mini-camp.

I don't recall him being a dissapointment, but I agree, he has a lot to prove. I like his attitude though, he seems like an upgrade over Mitchell on that aspect alone. Hopefully, that will translate into performance on the field. We'll see, but like I said, I'm less worried about the defense than the offense...

InChiefsHell
05-25-2007, 09:14 AM
You are absolutely right our D is going to level of what DV got our O at.
Unfortunately, our O is going where Herm's Jet's O hung out.

Big questions on QB and OL spells mediority on O, and probably 8-8
season. I just hope for our sakes we have a rebuilding year and we are
4-12 or 5-11. I really want a Top 10 or 12 pick next year. We have all our draft picks next year plus some extras, I really want us to get some decent picks next year. Does anyone know if next year's draft class of players rated high?

Heh. Already thinking about next year's draft...that's putting the proverbial cart before the horse... :p

I'd like to see us perform well this year, have a winning record. But I agree, we need to rebuild so I'm willing to take some ugly this year if it means better draft picks. We havent had a truly abyssmal season in a long time, I guess we are probably due.

As long as we see some light at the end of the tunnel. I'm going to try to make my annual pilgrimage to Mecca (Arrowhead) for an early home game, I hope I don't waste all that gas for an embarassment...

Stinger
05-25-2007, 09:17 AM

contrary to the article, Kawika's problems were not speed and athleticism, it was his 2 cent head and inability to fight off blocks...

Not to mention all the wiffs on opposing QB's with no one in front of him. :banghead:

FD
05-25-2007, 09:17 AM

Im MUCH more confident in our D this year than our O

chiefsfan1963
05-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Heh. Already thinking about next year's draft...that's putting the proverbial cart before the horse... :p

I'd like to see us perform well this year, have a winning record. But I agree, we need to rebuild so I'm willing to take some ugly this year if it means better draft picks. We havent had a truly abyssmal season in a long time, I guess we are probably due.

As long as we see some light at the end of the tunnel. I'm going to try to make my annual pilgrimage to Mecca (Arrowhead) for an early home game, I hope I don't waste all that gas for an embarassment...

I only want a winning record if we truly worthy of making the playoffs and advancing to at least AFC Championship and beyond. If not I want a Top 10 draft choice. What type of players would we have gotten if we had a Top 10 choice this year? I don't see us creating any noise this year. Our D will improve and our O will continue to drop from the their mediorce ranking last year.

htismaqe
05-25-2007, 10:47 AM
I only want a winning record if we truly worthy of making the playoffs and advancing to at least AFC Championship and beyond. If not I want a Top 10 draft choice. What type of players would we have gotten if we had a Top 10 choice this year? I don't see us creating any noise this year. Our D will improve and our O will continue to drop from the their mediorce ranking last year.

Ryan Sims was a top 10 choice.

Tamba Hali and Derrick Johnson were drafted after mediocre seasons where we neither made the playoffs nor garnered a top 10 pick.

Mr. Laz
05-25-2007, 10:49 AM
i could of sworn people were talking about gooda draft pick Kawika Mitchell was because of his speed.

wha happen?

htismaqe
05-25-2007, 10:50 AM
i could of sworn people were talking about gooda draft pick Kawika Mitchell was because of his speed.

wha happen?

The author is mistaken.

Kawika was very fast for a 250-lb. man. He just wasn't very football smart...

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-25-2007, 10:51 AM
The author is mistaken.

Kawika was very fast for a 250-lb. man. He just wasn't very football smart...

Kawika was a phenomenal athlete with a brain that was 10 pounds of monkey shit stuffed in a 5 pound bag.

the Talking Can
05-25-2007, 10:52 AM

wha happen?

he's just wrong....he had rare speed for his size, just had no football sense and was easy as hell to ride out of plays...

chiefsfan1963
05-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Ryan Sims was a top 10 choice.

Tamba Hali and Derrick Johnson were drafted after mediocre seasons where we neither made the playoffs nor garnered a top 10 pick.

That may be true, but I will still like a higher draft pick nonetheless. If we aren't going to playoffs and advancing I don't want another season like last year. Play Croyle play the young players I don't want to win 7 games and be way down on the draft board. I want a crack at the better players in the later rounds. We have all our choices and possible will get more I want a Top 10 draft pick. I would like to see what Herm and his team can do in this situation. It seems to be his strength. Let's give the best position to shine here.

htismaqe
05-25-2007, 10:59 AM
That may be true, but I will still like a higher draft pick nonetheless. If we aren't going to playoffs and advancing I don't want another season like last year. Play Croyle play the young players I don't want to win 7 games and be way down on the draft board. I want a crack at the better players in the later rounds. We have all our choices and possible will get more I want a Top 10 draft pick. I would like to see what Herm and his team can do in this situation. It seems to be his strength. Let's give the best position to shine here.

Winning 7 games might actually get you a Top 10 pick - we were 6-10 the year we picked Ryan Sims. It would most certainly be Top 15.

Furthermore, this team is living proof that WHERE you draft in the 1st round isn't NEARLY as important as WHO you draft.

CoMoChief
05-25-2007, 11:07 AM

Kawika wasn't quick enough to play a cover 2.

the Talking Can
05-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Kawika wasn't quick enough to play a cover 2.

i think he was, he just wasn't smart enough...always out of position or taking bad angles...

Chiefnj2
05-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Kawika was drafted in the GROB read and react. Just as he was getting used to it, Gunther's aggressive-whatchamacallit scheme was implimented and Kawika looked like he was finally picking it up. Then Herm comes in with the cover 2 and Kawika was back to square one.

Kawika was not slow, he and the cover 2 just didn't seem to click. Hopefully Nap can stay healthy and the DT's start to carry their own weight. Those poor DT's will make any MLB look bad.

RedThat
05-25-2007, 12:24 PM
I hope Napolean Harris becomes a ROCK for us at MLB

milkman
05-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah, Napolean. Pay no attention to that guy screaming on the sidelines. Just do whatever the hell you feel like. Recipe for success.

That is exactly the recipe for success when the DC is just an overrated loudmouth named Gunt.

htismaqe
05-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Kawika was drafted in the GROB read and react. Just as he was getting used to it, Gunther's aggressive-whatchamacallit scheme was implimented and Kawika looked like he was finally picking it up. Then Herm comes in with the cover 2 and Kawika was back to square one.

Kawika was not slow, he and the cover 2 just didn't seem to click. Hopefully Nap can stay healthy and the DT's start to carry their own weight. Those poor DT's will make any MLB look bad.

Kawika is more suited to Gunther's blitz-type attack. He's not instinctive enough to play zone coverage.

Dark Horse
05-25-2007, 08:56 PM

I remember Harris being the Raiders best young defensive player at the time he was traded.