PDA

View Full Version : Jobless Romanians to receive government goats

RJ
05-25-2007, 09:43 AM
I suppose this is sensible in an Eastern European, Borat sort of way.

http://sayanythingblog.com/readers/entry/jobless_romanians_get_welfare_goats/

Jobless Romanians are to be given goats instead of welfare benefits as part of a scheme to make them contribute more to the economy.

Under the pilot project, welfare benefits are to be axed from September in the Independenta district, a collection of villages in south-eastern Romania, where unemployed families will instead each receive 10 goats.

They will be expected to milk the animals and sell milk and cheese to earn an income, and when they find work, they will have to return the goats to the local council.

The scheme has been set up by the council’s campaigning mayor, Cristea Gascan, who said: “We have 30 families that are on benefits, and just paying them cash does not help them or us. But with goats they are making a positive contribution to the economy and will be working instead of sitting at home expecting handouts.”

[...]

Suliman Visel, 22, who is unemployed and was the first to sign up for the goats, said: “I want to work and the goats will be good for me and my family. They will help me feed myself and my two children and will bring more than the welfare money we had.”

But Marin Vasile, 28, also out of work, said: “I do not want to hear anything again about any goats. If they give me goats I will take them to the mayor and make him look after them.”

StcChief
05-25-2007, 09:46 AM
send some here to replace our lawn mowers when the tree huggers outlaw them

chagrin
05-25-2007, 09:46 AM
If we could only be as sophisticated as Europe

SNR
05-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Ever hear of Heffer Project? This kind of thinking works.

Hell, we should do this here in America. Give goats to welfare families to weed out those who want to work and just need a bit of government assistance to get on their feet, and those who just want a free lunch.

kepp
05-25-2007, 09:55 AM

Hell, we should do this here in America. Give goats to welfare families to weed out those who want to work and just need a bit of government assistance to get on their feet, and those who just want a free lunch.
Sounds sensible to me.

RJ
05-25-2007, 09:57 AM

I can't help but think that most welfare families here in the US probably don't have a place to keep 10 goats.

Besides, you know they'd just trade the goat cheese for crack.

kepp
05-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I can't help but think that most welfare families here in the US probably don't have a place to keep 10 goats.

Besides, you know they'd just trade the goat cheese for crack.
Democrat? :p

chagrin
05-25-2007, 10:07 AM

Hell, I'm still for donating zippers instead of money

RJ
05-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Democrat? :p

Crackhead.

kepp
05-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Crackhead.
ROFL

KC Jones
05-25-2007, 10:10 AM
nice try... next month when the market is flooded with goats cheese and goats milk they'll find the goats not such a great catch all.

jidar
05-25-2007, 10:27 AM
How is this going to work out when you've just flooded a small market with goat products?

they should have mixed it up.