PDA

View Full Version : I lost my best friend last night.

El Jefe
05-25-2007, 11:03 AM
I typed in a thread that my dog had been having what I thought to be seizures since tuesday night. I took her to the vet yesterday morning, he said her blood work looked ok, and he was gonna treat it as epilepsy. Well she got a lot worse last night so we took her to an emergency vet clinic, told them what was happening. I got the crushing news she had a form of disease that had destroyed her red blood cells, he said if she had a fewer count she wouldnt be alive. He said we could try aggressive treatment, and a blood transfusion fr 3-5k. We just dont have that kind of money, he said her chances with the transfusion and treatment was 40-60. I then proceeded to lose myself in a pit of sadness. So we had to put her to sleep, and I held her in my arms while she died. Having her for almost 11 years, and having to watch her die in my arms was crushing for me. I had her since I was 9 years old, and I loved that little dog with all my heart, and im not gonna lie I balled my eyes out when my dad told him to go ahead and put her down. The only good news is she didnt suffer, she just didnt have energy due to the lack of blood cells, so she wasnt suffering. It made it worse when it happened so quick I mean she developed that in 2 DAYS! I wish I could of had more time with her. I mean she slept in my bed and was a lap dog and she always greeted me at the door with the tail wagging.

If you dont have anything nice to say, PLEASE dont say anything mean. I know they are just dogs but when you have a companion dog its a lot different, they are your best friends. You sit in the chair, they want to sit with you, you go to bed, they come with you. If you have any stories you want to share that would be fine. Im not depressed, just very sad at the moment.

percysnow
05-25-2007, 11:07 AM
i lost my dog last year. . .sux man. . .my house just hasnt been the same. .sorry to hear

RIP Bodog

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/91cd3d73ca.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

The Bad Guy
05-25-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm sorry for your loss.Pets become huge parts of our lives. It's great you had a great 11 years - a lot of pet owners don't get that long.

Donger
05-25-2007, 11:08 AM
That's suck. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I've never been emotionally attached to an animal, so I can't imagine the pain.

Bob Dole
05-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Damn. That really bites.

Sorry for your loss.

Fly O.T. McWall
05-25-2007, 11:09 AM
i'm very sorry for you. these threads always bring tears to my eyes.

ChiefsFan4Life
05-25-2007, 11:11 AM
I typed in a thread that my dog had been having what I thought to be seizures since tuesday night. I took her to the vet yesterday morning, he said her blood work looked ok, and he was gonna treat it as epilepsy. Well she got a lot worse last night so we took her to an emergency vet clinic, told them what was happening. I got the crushing news she had a form of disease that had destroyed her red blood cells, he said if she had a fewer count she wouldnt be alive. He said we could try aggressive treatment, and a blood transfusion fr 3-5k. We just dont have that kind of money, he said her chances with the transfusion and treatment was 40-60. I then proceeded to lose myself in a pit of sadness. So we had to put her to sleep, and I held her in my arms while she died. Having her for almost 11 years, and having to watch her die in my arms was crushing for me. I had her since I was 9 years old, and I loved that little dog with all my heart, and im not gonna lie I balled my eyes out when my dad told him to go ahead and put her down. The only good news is she didnt suffer, she just didnt have energy due to the lack of blood cells, so she wasnt suffering. It made it worse when it happened so quick I mean she developed that in 2 DAYS! I wish I could of had more time with her. I mean she slept in my bed and was a lap dog and she always greeted me at the door with the tail wagging.

If you dont have anything nice to say, PLEASE dont say anything mean. I know they are just dogs but when you have a companion dog its a lot different, they are your best friends. You sit in the chair, they want to sit with you, you go to bed, they come with you. If you have any stories you want to share that would be fine. Im not depressed, just very sad at the moment.

I am sorry for your loss man. I know what you mean. There are people that don't get it, but a pet can be just as much a part of your family as a true son or daughter. You get so used to having them around, they are a part of your life. Just try to remember the good memories with your dog and knowing that she did not suffer is helpful but it will still take a while to get over.

I wish you the best of luck in this difficult time.

KC Jones
05-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Condolences man, I know your pain. When I get home I still expect to see my dog wagging her tails and jumping around pawing the air, and it's been 5 months now.

CoMoChief
05-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Sorry man, I know what it feels like.

I had my dog since I was in first grade (1990) and he's been healthy his whole life. Loved to swim with all of the family in our pool, summer was just so much fun with him. He was swimming until his final days too. But he just got old. 16 years old to be exact. Started getting scared to go outside because his vision was getting bad. Took him into the vet because he started having seizures, vet gave him meds and in about 3 days he was fine again. But then about a month later he developed this really bad eye cancer and it started to hurt him so we had to put him down.

The sad part was that I'm here in Columbia going to school and I just always had this feeling that one day I would get a call from my dad saying that he had to put him down and then it happened, and I just sobbed like a little 4 yr old girl. I was an only child growing up and my parents went through a nasty divorce when I was in grade school and my dog was the only thing around me to really cheer me up. The emotional attachment I had to this dog was just 2nd to none. I dont think I've ever cried harder in my life. It sucks, I still wish he was here.

bdeg
05-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Sorry for your loss man, I know how it feels. I lost my dog of 16 years last Friday. Had him ever since I can remember, but he recently went deaf and blind so we knew he wasn't going to be around forever. Still very difficult...

Donger
05-25-2007, 11:16 AM
This might not be the best thread for this question, but for those with pets, what is their purpose? Primarily emotional support?

Phobia
05-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Bummer. My ex-wife got my black lab in the divorce a decade ago but everytime I see that dog (6 or 7 times in a decade) she acts like she last saw me the day before. I'll be bummed when she's gone, which could be any week now because she's 15. Other than that dog, I never really cared that much about my animals.

Hog Farmer
I've been through that several times myself, I had a Rottweiller I was really attached to and he developed cancer and had to be put down, watched him die in my arms just like you did. From that point on we have had several dogs but I will not let myself become that attached ever again. Kinda sucks cause dogs are great companions, they just don't last that long. Hang in there, each day will that passes will get better. Think of other things like Hicks, Sims and Bartee are gone. That will make you feel better.

Fly O.T. McWall
This might not be the best thread for this question, but for those with pets, what is their purpose? Primarily emotional support?
just a friend, donger. for me, nothing more. but the longer you're with that friend the more you become attached.

i don't have a dog anymore, but i have two cats. one is very loving, very affectionate, and very much a lapcat. also sleeps with me. she's 8 now, and every now and then she snuggles up in my neck, just like she did the very first night i had her.

any time i've ever got to thinking about the fateful day when one of my cats dies or i have to put her down i have to stop thinking about it before i start crying.

it really is just a strong emotional attachment. and like someone else said, they become very much like children to you. they're dependent on your care. they miss you when you're gone. they're happy when you're there. and most have a sense when you don't feel good, or are sad, and all they want to do is cheer you up.

KC Jones
05-25-2007, 11:22 AM

That's kinda like asking what's the point of having kids or a spouse. Different people will have different answers, but in the end it's all about being happy and getting what you want out of life.

CoMoChief
05-25-2007, 11:23 AM

You could look at it that way, I guess. But if you look at it that way whats the purpose for any friend?

gblowfish
05-25-2007, 11:24 AM
I've lost two of my pets in the last two years, and it's hard to go through. I miss them every day, and think about them often.

Just remember that she had a terrific life, and was lucky to have a loving home. Too many animals are euthanized every year, because there's nobody to care for them. Destruction of all those loving animals is a terrible thing.

After you've had some time, you might consider taking in a stray or pound pooch, to give them a chance at a great life too. Loving homes are all an unwanted dog or cat is looking for. Hang in there.

Donger
05-25-2007, 11:25 AM
That's kinda like asking what's the point of having kids or a spouse. Different people will have different answers, but in the end it's all about being happy and getting what you want out of life.

Yes, I know it's a tricky question. It just seems like some people anthropomorphize their pets.

BIG_DADDY
05-25-2007, 11:25 AM

You're kidding right?

Dogs are the greatest.

1.You come home and it doesn't matter if you punished them just before you left they happier to see you than anyone else ever will be no matter what you did for them.

2. Get the right breed they are fiercly loyal.

3. Protection. Even the scroungiest mutts are usually good alarms or as is the case with mine, you better be coming in with a high caliber weapon. I watch court TV a lot. I can't tell you how many times I have said "wouldn't of happened if you had good dog" like 90% of the time.

4. Love, a good dog will love you to death.

5. Companionship

6. For me mine makes a great exercise partner as well.

I could go on and on but you see how upset people get when losing them. I think that speaks volumes about what they bring to the human element more than anything I could write. That's why I hate, yes HATE dog legislation people.

Donger
05-25-2007, 11:26 AM
You could look at it that way, I guess. But if you look at it that way whats the purpose for any friend?

I don't have any friends.

Donger
05-25-2007, 11:27 AM
You're kidding right?

Dogs are the greatest.

1.You come home and it doesn't matter if you punished them just before you left they happier to see you than anyone else ever will be no matter what you did for them.

2. Get the right breed they are fiercly loyal.

3. Protection. Even the scroungiest mutts are usually good alarms or as is the case with mine, you better be coming in with a high caliber weapon. I watch court TV a lot. I can't tell you how many times I have said "wouldn't of happened if you had good dog" like 90% of the time.

4. Love, a good dog will love you to death.

5. Companionship

6. For me mine makes a great exercise partner as well.

I could go on and on but you see how upset people get when losing them. I think that speaks volumes about what they bring to the human element more than anything I could write. That's why I hate, yes HATE dog legislation people.

I used to rescue Dobermanns, but I can't say that I was ever emotionally attached to them.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't have raised this on this thread. Sorry.

noa
05-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Very sorry to hear about this. Losing a pet is a tough experience. When you love your pets and think you share a mutual understanding of each other, the bond can be profound. I was so compassionate towards my pets, as I think most owners are, that it was physically sickening to watch my dog and cat deteriorate. Witnessing their suffering and death is extremely difficult to deal with because there's only so much you can communicate. I was always surprised how much it ate at my heart, but I also realize how lucky I have been to share those bonds with other animals. Best of luck to you.

noa
05-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Yes, I know it's a tricky question. It just seems like some people anthropomorphize their pets.

Dogs are the most responsive animals on the planet to humans. They react to human behavior in a way that no other species does.
Its actually fascinating to think about their evolution. Dogs originally came from wolves who realized it was a better survival strategy to bond with humans for food and protection. Thus, dogs learned to please us and bond with us, and have been a part of human life for thousands of years.

Simply Red
05-25-2007, 11:38 AM

sorry.

Nzoner
05-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Sorry for your loss man,I've lost many best friends in my life but each time I get another to help ease the pain because they are the most loyal non judgemental friend a person could ever have.

Here's something you might want to check out,to some it may be a little corny but to anyone who's ever lost a best friend it can really help.

Rainbow Bridge Website (http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm)

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Anyong Bluth
05-25-2007, 11:40 AM
My condolences for your loss, I know no matter what type of companion it doesn't make their absence any less real. Hope you are doing okay.

Fly O.T. McWall
05-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Sorry for your loss man,I've lost many best friends in my life but each time I get another to help ease the pain because they are the most loyal non judgemental friend a person could ever have.

Here's something you might want to check out,to some it may be a little corny but to anyone who's ever lost a best friend it can really help.

Rainbow Bridge Website (http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm)

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
why is it that i've read this a million times... and i read it every time it's on the planet... and i cry every time!!!

:cuss:

damn it! i'm at work, here!

Amnorix
05-25-2007, 11:50 AM

You know how 2 or 3 year old kids are cute, can barely communicate, have loads of energy, and constantly surprise you, while loving you unconditionally and always wanting to be near you?

Once they're potty trained, that's basically what a pet is.

siberian khatru
05-25-2007, 11:51 AM
When Should You Put Your Dog Down?
How to make a decision you never want to make.
By Jon Katz
Updated Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2003, at 1:01 PM ET

Jack sells antiques in upstate New York; he's a pretty upbeat guy, but when a vet diagnosed his 12-year-old black Lab, Schuyler, with cancer of the jaw and told Jack the prognosis was grim, he burst into tears, so upset he had to call his girlfriend to come drive him and the dog home.

He called me later that night. Punctuated by sobs and silences, our conversation lasted nearly an hour. "I really don't know what to do," Jack said. "My friends say I should go to Penn or Cornell for chemo. My girlfriend says I should try alternative medicine, maybe something homeopathic. I can't bear to think of it. When do you put a dog down? How do you decide? I can't bear to lose him, but I don't want him to suffer."

We spoke three or four times over the next couple of weeks, Jack agonizing over the many options he was hearing about. The vet had urged him to euthanize the dog before Schuyler's condition worsened, but Jack had clearly decided against that. He was apparently going to put the dog down "when he was ready," and thought he wasn't ready yet. One evening, he said he'd talked to a friend and dog lover who'd told him that Schuyler would tell him when it was time to go, that Jack should watch and listen to the dog for cues. He asked if I thought this was the right course.

To be honest, I couldn't quite say what I was thinking. Each decision about the death of a dog is personal and different, dependent on context and circumstances. But if I had told him what I was thinking, it would have been this: Dogs are voiceless. They can't tell us when it's time to die, even if they were capable of such abstract thought. That's something we have to decide for them, wielding our love, compassion, and common sense as best we can.

I didn't look to my wonderful yellow Labs to tell me when it was time for them to go, one diagnosed with congestive heart failure, the other with colon cancer. The responsibility and decision, it seemed to me, was mine, not theirs. I put them down before they endured any prolonged suffering—my own choice, not a recommendation for others.

In the context of the most personal decision any dog owner ever makes, there are few universal truths. Jack ended up keeping Schuyler alive for two months, until the dog's jaw had swollen to grapefruit size. When he called me again, I told him it seemed time, and he put the dog to sleep. Later, he called this the most wrenching period of his life, so painful he'd decided never to get another dog. I told him that was a shame.

It is the nature of dogs to live much shorter lives than ours—just eight years, on average—and it has always been my belief that to love and own a dog is to understand and accept that along with loyalty, love, and devotion come the ever-present specters of grief and loss. This is as integral a part of the dog-loving experience as going for walks.

There's no Idiot's Guide for this question, no handbook. The many points of view are strongly held. One vet I know says a dog should be euthanized "when it can no longer live the life of a dog—and only the owner knows when that really is." A breeder says she puts her dogs down when "their suffering exceeds their ability to take pleasure in life." A trainer I respect believes her dog should live as long as it can eat.

Another friend and dog lover says she always knows when it's time: "when the soul goes out of their eyes."

I'm not among those who believe dogs have souls, but I know what she means. There is a certain visceral "dogness" about dogs, an interest in people, food, squirrels, passing trucks—whatever—that's part of their individual spirits. When that disappears, it does seem the "soul" of the dog is gone.

But I know other owners—a growing number, according to vets—who fight to keep their dogs alive as long as possible, at all costs.

Researching my last book, I visited an emergency-care clinic that had six dogs on respirators at a cost of nearly a $1,000 per week per dog.

Their owners, the vets said, simply could not bear to lose them. In the context of America's growing love affair with dogs—there are nearly 70 million owned dogs in the United States and nearly 10 million more in shelters—this seems to me a travesty, not only for the dogs but for the humans who've lost sight of the fact that these amazing creatures are animals.

Increasingly, we've come to see our dogs as human, childlike members of our families, companions that sometimes provide us with more emotional support than friends or spouses, more satisfaction than work, more support than we can find elsewhere. As a result, people are increasingly devastated by the loss of their dogs, more uncertain about how and when to put them down, more inclined to spend thousands of dollars on surgery, alternative cures, foods, and treatments that might prolong their lives.

As the owner of three dogs, I spend more than I can truly afford to keep them healthy and vigorous. But as my conversations with Jack reminded me, they are not people. Their lives and deaths ought not be conflated or confused with human losses.

To love dogs is to know death and to accept that there's never a time we are more morally obliged to speak for them than when they face the end of their lives.

Jon Katz is the author of A Good Dog: The Story of Orson, Who Changed My Life. He can be e-mailed at jdkat3@aol.com.

Article URL: http://www.slate.com/id/2090327/

Amnorix
05-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Sorry for your loss kcchiefsfanGoLJ.

Amnorix
05-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Your article, SK, and any event or discussion involving putting down a pet -- which I have had to do and which I acknowledge is a horribly difficult thing to do -- always reminds me of one visit I had to the vet.

I brought one of my cats in -- soemthing routine. There was a little old lady up at the counter with her cat sitting up there. I was just a young teenager at the time.

This elderly lady was pleasantly telling me about her lovely cat, and how it was about to turn 19 years old.

This poor thing was scrawny, with one eye blind and milked over, and was literally sitting with a significant "lean" to the right. It was holding one paw up in the air -- reason unknown, and had one tooth left if that.

As this pleasant little old lady was rambling on about her cat and how it was "about to turn 19", all I could think of was that the poor cat wasn't really interested in reaching that venerable age, but really was probably much more interested in passing out of this life in peace and quiet.

Frazod
05-25-2007, 11:57 AM
My condolances. It always sucks to lose a pet. :(

siberian khatru
05-25-2007, 11:58 AM
I had to put my dog down a couple of years ago, just shy of his 11th birthday. He was awesome. It devastated me. The memory of it still haunts me.

Several weeks later, even though I had gotten a new dog (still have him, he's a good one), I realized that I was probably clinically depressed, or close to it -- and I am certain it was because of the loss of my dog. It creeped up on me and festered. I was unhappy and kind of sluggish in life. I was performing my work fine, my family life was fine, but I just had something gnawing at me. Once I realized what it was, I confronted it and made changes -- ate better, exercised more. I came out of it pretty quickly. But it was scary -- I'd never gone through that before.

I had forged that intense a bond with my dog. I didn't anthropomorphise him -- I didn't treat him like a child -- but we walked together all the time, he slept on my lap, was always very responsive to me. He was a major part of my life and daily routine. It was a major loss.

siberian khatru
05-25-2007, 12:05 PM
I've seen it said that the domestic dog may be the second most successful of all mammals, after human beings.

Obviously, they're not as intelligent as apes (or dolphins or whatnot). But they are successful because they've forged a great two-way relationship with humans. What other animal willingly gives us so much in return (companionship and service) for so little?

Donger
05-25-2007, 12:06 PM
What other animal willingly gives us so much in return (companionship and service) for so little?

chiefs4me?

Dartgod
05-25-2007, 12:10 PM
That sucks. Dogs are good people. Sorry for your loss.

My advice is to allow some time to grieve and then go get a puppy to replace the void.

BIG_DADDY
05-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Your article, SK, and any event or discussion involving putting down a pet -- which I have had to do and which I acknowledge is a horribly difficult thing to do -- always reminds me of one visit I had to the vet.

I brought one of my cats in -- soemthing routine. There was a little old lady up at the counter with her cat sitting up there. I was just a young teenager at the time.

This elderly lady was pleasantly telling me about her lovely cat, and how it was about to turn 19 years old.

This poor thing was scrawny, with one eye blind and milked over, and was literally sitting with a significant "lean" to the right. It was holding one paw up in the air -- reason unknown, and had one tooth left if that.

As this pleasant little old lady was rambling on about her cat and how it was "about to turn 19", all I could think of was that the poor cat wasn't really interested in reaching that venerable age, but really was probably much more interested in passing out of this life in peace and quiet.

I don't know why people keep their pets past the time where they are living a quality life. When I found out my English Bully had cancer I only kept her until she reached the point of no longer being comfortable. I gave her one day of pain killers so she could do whatever she wanted and eat whatever she wanted then put her down. She know exactly what was happening when it went down too and she got to leave happy, painless and with her bully dignity fully in tact. Others would have opted for 6 months to 1 year of pain and misery and a 5k vet bill. I don't get it.

Nzoner
05-25-2007, 12:15 PM

Personally,I opted not to have children but I do have 3 dogs and 1 cat who are my kids.They're the doctor that can make me feel better,the psychologist I can tell my problems to,the clowns that make me laugh harder than I ever had but most of all just great companions who only ask for a little food and water and love in return.

We have a cat that's getting ready to turn 18,the mrs and I have been married 21,to say she's a part of the family is an understaement.

pr_capone
05-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Sorry to hear about your pup man. I have a 1 year old Heeler that I have become extremely attached to.... I cannot imagine her not being around putting random toys on my lap for me to throw to her. I get misty just thinking about it.

We also have a Daschund that wont be around for much longer.... 9 years old and is acting like she is 20. :(

My most sincere condolances.

siberian khatru
05-25-2007, 12:19 PM
When my first dog was a pup, really within two weeks of getting him, he developed a terrible viral infection that almost killed him. It would've, too, were it not for my decision to give him a blood transfusion. It must've cost about $1,000 (I don't remember). I'd only had the dog a couple of weeks, but I was already close to him, and I felt it was worth it.

I got nearly 11 years of fabulous companionship from him. Yet, when he was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor that had wrapped around his spinal cord and was making it increasingly difficult for him to walk, I was told I could transport him 2 hours away for cancer treatments at a vet hospital in Charleston, S.C., that would cost thousands of dollars. There was no guarantee they would cure him, and even if they did they might extend his life a couple of years.

I put him down. I felt he had lived a great life, and I would put him out of his misery. Intellectualy, I don't regret the decision. It was right. But emotionally, I remember when he came out to see me for the last time, with his tail wagging, thinking he was going home. I got him up on the table and held him while they administered the injection. BAM -- he was gone. It took 2 seconds. THAT is what still pains me -- I feel like I let him down, that I betrayed his love.

KC Jones
05-25-2007, 12:24 PM
THAT is what still pains me -- I feel like I let him down, that I betrayed his love.

You didn't, you did the right thing to spare him the misery.

Redrum_69
05-25-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

I have a write-up for this thread, but I'm sure it will get blasted.

Mr. Plow
05-25-2007, 12:32 PM
I wish I felt that I had enough strength to hold my dog as they put them down, but I just don't think I could.

My parents both me a dachshund when I was 6 years old. I had her until I was 20. That dog never left my side. Slept by me. Followed me around the house. She was the greatest dog. One day, I was having some work done at my apartment so I took her to my parents house for the day. She ended up having a seizure and falling into the pool. I buried her in my parents back yard.

I was so heart broken for a long time. Until one day my wife gave me a book that she had made. It was 20-25 pictures of me and Alf that she found and made into a nice album. I still look at it from time to time. Seeing the pictures makes me cry and laugh at the same time. I still miss her.

Donger
05-25-2007, 12:34 PM
This thread is depressing.

BigCatDaddy
05-25-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure if you are a believer or not, but I stumbled across this article the other day.

Where do pets go after they die? One local pastor says they will join Christians in heaven

They're loving, they're comforting, and their loss can be devastating. But when pets die, is it really the end?

The love between a mother and her child is something you can't describe. Jean Kirkland says that's exactly the kind of bond she shares with Blossom, her 14 year old Westie dog.

"Blossom is my family," Jean says. "She's been through so much with me, my husband's death, my stroke."

The thought of losing Blossom is heartbreaking, but the little dog is very ill. After fighting a battle with cancer, now she has kidney failure.

Five days a week, Jean brings her to the UT College of Veterinary Medicine. The vets give Blossom the treatment she needs, and they also help pet owners like Jean make important decisions. Part of that process is helping them through the grief of losing a pet, or the anticipation that their pet could soon die.

UT's pet loss support group doesn't answer questions about the future of pets when they die, but they do provide pet owners information about pet cemeteries and crematories. Jean finds comfort in the belief that if Blossom dies, one day she'll see her again.

"I think I will," she says. "She [Blossom] just loved my husband and she still grieves for him; she still wonders where he is."

If anyone understands the special companionship between humans and animals, it's Ed King. His dog Maggie became part of his family during a time when he had suffered the loss of a family member.

"It started me on a process of really researching heaven, and I began to do a series of teachings on that subject," King says.

King is the pastor at Redemption Church International in Knoxville and has a PhD in theology. During his research on heaven, he says it was a natural process that led him to interesting Biblical scriptures relating to animals on Earth and in heaven.

"We see animals were initially created for companionship to man," King says. "God put a relationship between animals and humans that's very special."

Remember the story in the Bible about Noah and the flood, and how God saved the animals two by two? And what about the role animals played in the birth of Jesus?

"We find at the very birth of Jesus, he was born in a stable with the animals," King says. "We see when Jesus comes back in his triumphant reign, he comes back on a white horse and his army is with him on white horses. So we know horses are in Heaven."

King also says the Bible refers to beasts around the throne of God in Heaven.

"The word 'beast' in some translations is translated 'living creature'," he says. "That word beast comes from the Greek work 'zoon,' and it's the word we get zoo from."

King says it's without question that animals are in heaven. The big question is whether or not our pets will make it to heaven. After much research, King believes he's found the answer. It surrounds that glorious resurrection day in which Christians believe.

"We find evidence from the book of Romans, beginning in verse number 19 chapter 8, it says, 'for all creation is waiting patiently and hopefully for that future day when God will resurrect his children.' So that's talking about the resurrection of the saints of God," King says. "And the world around us will share in the glorious freedom from sin which God's children enjoy, for we know that even the things of nature, like animals and plants suffer sickness and death as they await this great event."

King adds, "So the scripture seems to indicate that the animals actually are going to be resurrected when the humans are, and it's all going to happen simultaneously. And so I have to believe if some animals are going to be resurrected, I would have to believe why would mine be excluded?"

Based on Biblical scripture, King says the simple answer to the question of whether our pets go to heaven is yes. King says he shares this theology with many other great Bible scholars.

"There are many theologians, Jack Van Impe and Billy Graham that all agree one of these day, those pets will find the resurrection just like we as believers will enjoy," King says.

The UT College of Veterinary Medicine Pet Loss Support Group has several meetings planned for the summer. June 12, July 10, August 14, at 6:30 8:00 p.m. If you are interested contact 865-755-8839 or visit THEIR WEB SITE.

Ugly Duck
05-25-2007, 12:38 PM
This might not be the best thread for this question, but for those with pets, what is their purpose? Primarily emotional support?I dunno if this counts as "purpose," but I'll tell you how I see it. It ain't just a guy and his dog - its more like the two become a symbiotic organism. Dogs have evolved to be supremely attuned and psychologically bonded a person. They are far more attentive to every nuance of motion, scent and sound of their bonded one than any human could ever be. For example, my dog sniffs my eyeballs every morning. If he keeps sniffing and won't leave my side, that means I caught a virus and will soon come down with a cold. Some dogs alert their owners that an epileptic attack is imminent. There is no being that bonds so completely and is so dedicated to a human. The sum is much greater than the mere addition of two parts.

And when you are conditioned to being a symbiotic organism rather than just a solitary human, you feel a devastating loss and emptyness when your partner is gone. You're just a guy all of a sudden when the near-telepathic connection is broken. It hurts bad.

Inspector
05-25-2007, 12:39 PM
My condolences.

They are part of the family.

chagrin
05-25-2007, 12:41 PM
That takes courage to have held her, big time. Sorry for your loss man.

Fishpicker
05-25-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm sorry to hear that KCCFGLJ. I'm sure your dog was glad you were there to hold her while she passed.

BIG_DADDY
05-25-2007, 12:48 PM
BTW this was Cleo for those that don't know.

elvomito
05-25-2007, 01:01 PM
best wishes to you.
i lost mine a year ago today.
sorry for your loss... grieving is a hard process

cdcox
05-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Sorry for your loss, GoLJ.

It's funny how some animals really click with you. I had a dog growing up and four cats during the time we've been married. I've enjoyed all the animals, but one of the cats we have now is just on a whole different level. He's very affectionate and just can't get enought of people. When someone new comes in the house, within 15 minutes he'll jump up on their lap to get to know them. He's partial to my wife, but makes an effort to interact with all the family members each day. I've never thought I could feel so strongly toward a cat, it just happened.

Chief Chief
05-25-2007, 01:19 PM
When my dog dies, I'm going to honor her and work through my grief by immediately getting a pup and try to give my new dog a better life somehow.

BIG_DADDY
05-25-2007, 01:20 PM
When my dog dies, I'm going to honor her and work through my grief by immediately getting a pup and try to give my new dog a better life somehow.

I'm going to get another English Bully before too long. I think I should work through the new arrival first.

Oxford
05-25-2007, 01:24 PM
How could I ever say anything bad! We have 3 dogs, and have had to put one other one down. Each one of them is a unique individual. I can't imagine not having one around. After we had to put the "big guy" down, my wife went over to a Pet rescue day at PetSmart. She saw a scroungy, thin, smelly pup named Jackson. I can say on that day both our lives and his got better. So go, change a dogs life (and yours), adopt a orphan. Love him/her as much as your last one!

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-25-2007, 01:27 PM

That's terrible. I lost one of my dogs last year. He was almost 17. I'd had him since I was 7.

In many ways, dogs are incomparable.

Sorry.

The Red Sea
05-25-2007, 01:35 PM
My wife & I had to put down a 16 yr old Lab two years ago & Last yr we put down a 15 yr old Mainecoon cat.
Both with us for as long as we could remember..needless to say even though we now have two little rug rats at home it was Very weird to be without our two friends..it took major time to get thru it especially with two animals that lived well past the average age for both.

Our Cat out lived the age of many cats but supposedly that had a ton to do with the fact it was a mainecoon.
As far as the dog went..we got him 6 months old from the pound & The Vet told us he wouldnt see one yr old...he lived to 16!!...knowing that some how helped us get past it.

Were thinking about giving our kids a dog next X-mas morning as a surprise.
I do not want my two boys growing up without a cat or a dog in my opinion having pets helps sculpt a person into a much more caring & understanding human being.

Sure we have Fish a hermit crab & a Freakin guinea pig..lol..but a cat or dog of course is a true companion.

Good luck getting thru it I for one would Certainly not laugh at your loss.
Those that would even think about it generally are the angry grumbly dont want kids type.
You know anal whinny yuppie ME comes first people.

Again sorry for your loss I am out of here!

Al Czervik
05-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Sorry for your loss KCChiefs.....

Try to remember the good times and not let the last few days cloud those memories!

ILikeBigTiddys
05-25-2007, 01:43 PM
This thread is a real bummer. I cant even imagine losing my dog and I am damn near tearing up thinking about it.

bringbackmarty
05-25-2007, 02:28 PM
My condolences and godspeed to you and yours. Hope you feel better soon. Try and remember the good times.

El Jefe
05-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Man, I appreciate everyone who has offered their condolences. I honestly cant tell you how much I appreciate it. Uh a little background, my mom bought her schnauzer and had it bread (all AKC papers), then I picked my puppy from the litter, so I really was there for her since she was born. I think the saddest part of the process, is we went in expecting the best and came out with the worst. When my dad told him we were gonna put her down, the Dr. handed me her collar and I lost it. It was a chiefs collar that I bought from kcchiefs.com. She was a big fan of the Chiefs.

It made me feel really good when the Dr. told me she hadnt suffered at all, and he said he would of done the same thing too. I held her in my arms and she looked at me and I was crying, and I kissed her and was petting her for about 5 minutes before they came in. Then to see her not breathe anymore is tuff.

You know I think the reason its so tuff, is you have invested in her life and tried to make it best for them. They love you no matter what you do, and its tuff thinking about the times you were mean to them after they are gone.

vailpass
05-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Based on Biblical scripture, King says the simple answer to the question of whether our pets go to heaven is yes. King says he shares this theology with many other great Bible scholars.

"There are many theologians, Jack Van Impe and Billy Graham that all agree one of these day, those pets will find the resurrection just like we as believers will enjoy," King says.

OMFG, how desperate do you have to be to believe this hoodoo voodoo?

Discuss Thrower
05-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Sorry for the loss of your buddy man. Pets are family, as well as domesticated animals in general. I loathe the idiots like, for example, the trailer trash and overrated quarterbacks that raise dogs to be killers and use them for sport. They deserve some kind of divine retribution (Sounds hypocritical on my part, as I'm friends with a guy who's dad is a cockfighter.. )

Just as my parents were dating, my mom took in what she originally thought was a baby thrown from a car on a San Antonio highway. It turned out to be an abused white and tanned Persian cat, with cigarrette burns all over. For some time, the cat refused to be seen, and was usually cowering under furniture. Finally, he became trusting of people and became a friendlier kitty. Mom dubbed him "Frank", after Sinatra, because they both had handsome blue eyes.

When I came along, Frank became my protector. He'd manage ways to get into my crib, and when he couldn't, he'd sleep under it. Whenever I was out toddling around. Being a young kid, I'd maul the poor kitty, yank it's tail, the usual overbearing kid thing to do. But Frankie put up with me, and was the best cat you could ever imagine. (His hair gave my allergic mother loads of problems, however)

But just as my parents got divorced when I was around 6-7 years old, Frankie became terribly sick, and IIRC, flea infested. Mom put him down, and cremated. Don't know what happened to his ashes.

After that, mom got her boyfriend a golden retriever pup. Well, 11 and change years later, we still have Lauren.. But after getting hit by two cars, surviving a mastif / pit bull attack in our back yard, obesity, and now an allergic reaction to something, I notice that Lauren isn't the same puppy she used to always be...

CosmicPal
05-25-2007, 02:48 PM
As a current dog owner, I can truly sympathize with what you must be going thru. My heart goes out to you. Dogs rule...and it's tough when you lose one. Damn tough.

El Jefe
05-25-2007, 02:57 PM
I am interested in hearing where you guys got your puppies from. Mine was from a litter my moms dog had and they are AKC Registered. What are your thoughts on pet store pups. I dont think I can wait for the breeders puppies, they can take a while.

BigCatDaddy
05-25-2007, 03:02 PM
OMFG, how desperate do you have to be to believe this hoodoo voodoo?

Thanks for the nice contribution to the thread.

I'm pretty sure God is powerful enough to raise pets to Heaven if so desired. In fact dogs have many of the attributes that Christians should try to be (Loving, Obedience). Got made dogs as our best friend here on Earth, I see no reason to seperate us in Heaven. Not that I'm trying to turn this into a religious thread. Just please don't hate on others beliefs, especially at a time of loss such as this. You don't have to be a Christian to show compassion for others.

Donger
05-25-2007, 03:04 PM
I am interested in hearing where you guys got your puppies from. Mine was from a litter my moms dog had and they are AKC Registered. What are your thoughts on pet store pups. I dont think I can wait for the breeders puppies, they can take a while.

Isn't it a little soon to find a replacement?

siberian khatru
05-25-2007, 03:05 PM

I got the first one from an AKC breeder out in the country because I wanted a pure-bred golden retreiver.

His replacement is a lab-chow mix we got from the shelter.

I've never heard anything good about pet store pups.

siberian khatru
05-25-2007, 03:06 PM

It's a personal choice. I replaced my dog and the cat who died the year before right after they died -- within a month. I found it helpful. Others may want more time to recover.

Frazod
05-25-2007, 03:07 PM

Probably not. Losing a dog or cat totally sucks, but the next one will love you as much. And having a new puppy or kitten to take care of will take your mind off the sadness.

El Jefe
05-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Probably not. Losing a dog or cat totally sucks, but the next one will love you as much. And having a new puppy or kitten to take care of will take your mind off the sadness.

Thats exactly my thinking. I just want to move forward, and I absolutely love dogs, so I just want to delve into the next puppy.

Joie
05-25-2007, 03:33 PM
kcchiefsfanGoLJ,
I'm so sorry for your loss. The poodle we'd had since I was 11 died a little over a year ago. He had a massive heart attack and Mom made the choice to end his suffering. I was not there, I moved out 3 years ago and my parents live 2 hours away. I hadn't seen him alot in the last few years of his life, and that breaks my heart. He was always there for me. God, I'm crying even as I type this. He was seventeen when he passed away, and was a member of my family since he was a year old. A full bred poodle, we could have had papers but chose not to.

A few months after Taffy's death another little dog came into my Mom's life. This little girl needed a home and fits in perfectly. She's his exact opposite, oddly enough. She's hyper where he was content to just cuddle up in your lap. He'd pick up his own toys and hers are scattered all over their house. You get the idea. It still hurts for a little while when I go to their house and Taffy's not there. His ashes sit in Mom's china cabinet along with photos and his favorite toy.

You'll never forget your girl. You may have another dog, but that pet won't be a replacement at all. You can't replace your best friend, but you can let others into your life to love.

~Joie

Frazod
05-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Thats exactly my thinking. I just want to move forward, and I absolutely love dogs, so I just want to delve into the next puppy.
Good for you. :thumb:

Stewie
05-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Find a cute mutt at the animal shelter and save them... or a not-so-cute mutt.

Archie F. Swin
05-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Back in '02 our dog got out of our back yard and was hit by a car in front of our house. The driver didn't stop. My wife was home. The dog tried to crawl back onto our driveway...she had to be put down that afternoon.

I was devastated for at least a week.

Dartgod
05-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Find a cute mutt at the animal shelter and save them... or a not-so-cute mutt.
I agree. Please consider rescuing a pet from the shelter or other animal rescue group. What breed are you looking for? Whatever it is, there is most likely a rescue group trying to place dogs of that specific breed.

We have one mutt (corgi-chow-??? mix) and one full blooded minature schnauzer that we rescued and they are both great dogs. Especially the mutt.

ChiefsFan4Life
05-25-2007, 04:25 PM
All dogs I've ever had have been from rescue shelters.

Sully
05-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Although I want a bulldog more than anything right now, once we move, I'm probably going to have to give in and do the right thing and go to a shelter for our next dog.

Joie
05-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Taffy was rescued from an abusive family. He had belonged to one of my friends and her Dad was seriously mean to him. To the point it was years before he trusted my Dad.

Daisy, Mom's new dog came from a lady that was going to have to give her away. It was either find a family or the shelter.

Smokey, Dad's dog however is a spoiled rotten black lab that was picked from the litter.

Ugly Duck
05-25-2007, 05:11 PM
What are your thoughts on pet store pups.

NEVER get a pup from a pet store unless it is a ward of a rescue organization. If you buy a pup from a pet store, it came from a puppy mill. No reputable breeder would ever send its pups to a pet store. Ever. If you want a specific breed, contact the rescue organization for that breed. There's plenty of purebreds out there that someone paid lots of cash for, and now they are not wanted anymore.

tmax63
05-25-2007, 05:48 PM
I join you in your sadness as I had to bury my dog last Saturday. Bubba was a 10 yr old dachshund. He was fine Friday morning and then was uncomfortable Fri evening with belly pain. Saturday morning he walked out on the porch with me and I helped him down the steps and by noon he had found a quiet place and died. Knew he wasn't feeling good but didn't think he was dying. My condolences on the loss of your friend.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-25-2007, 05:56 PM
www.petfinder.org

Great site for finding rescue dogs, cats, or other animals.

Dunit35
05-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Sorry for your your loss man.

My chihuahua is 13 and was diagnosed with cancer three weeks ago (can't remember the name), vet said it could get worse anyday. Said it could be two weeks or two years but doubtful on more then two months. She had two tumors removed in the same spot one month apart. Vet said if she got one in the wrong spot (spinal cord) she would die pretty quick. We are hoping for the best but know that when it's time to let her go, we will. It'll be extremely sad when she passes. Slept with me for 10 years.

A story, I could be by myself downstairs and she would be upstairs, the second my fiance would come over and go downstairs my dog would be laying in the middle of us in no time. She can get quite jealous.

Old Dog
05-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Sorry for your loss. We had to put down one of our huskies when she had a kidney disease the vet said she would never recover from. It was a hard decision, but the right one for her.

Mojo Rising
05-25-2007, 06:53 PM
I am sorry for your loss. My lab died 4 tears ago and I posted to CP and the planet feedback really helped. I kept him alive an extra day and that still bothers me. It's hard to know when the time is right.

We ended up replacing him with a dog from the Lab Rescue. We adopted a 18 mo. old Lab. He was very spirited and un-socialized.

He attacked a couple of dogs at the dog park. I then had to keep him on-leash at the dog park and warn other dog owners who had their dogs off leash of the potential danger.

I was disappointed that I became "That Guy." The person that takes an agressive dog to a off leash dog park.

We sent him to a professional trainer to no avail. After his return he got out of the garage and attacked an innocent dog on the street in front of my house.

At the time our daughter was 4 months old so there were many concerns. We contacted the rescue and they said they would have to put him down unless they were able to place him in the Sherriff's Drug Dog program.

The Sherriff was excited when he met him because of his spirit (as I was when I adopted him.)

My last report is that he has been through 3 handlers and still has not mellowed. My hope was that with all day companionship and activity he would thrive. He didn't

Be careful with a rescue.

We are currently dogless and plan on getting 2 dogs in the future.

bogie
05-25-2007, 07:06 PM
I've said this before. I had an Australian Shepherd buddy that had epilepsy. We had him on medication but it turned him into a zomby and he still had seizures. The medication really didn't help. The vet recommended we put him down. I held him when he died and it broke my heart. I cried. I'm so sorry you lost your best friend. I understand the sorrow.

Old Dog
05-25-2007, 07:09 PM
This reminds me of "Nikki" (The Husky I mentioned above). Another "author unknown".

Warning: don't read it if you don't want to get misty eyed.

Dogs Don't Have Souls, Do They?

I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur.

You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ars flopping. Once in a while you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this is your territory.

Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion, and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes, as if to say, "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you're not watching."

As you got older you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging, just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." You never had a bad day, and I could always count on you to be there for me.

When I sat down to watch the paper and read TV, you would hop on my lap, looking for attention. You never asked for anything more than for me to pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.

As you got lder, you moved around more slowly. Then, one day, age finally took its toll, and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knealt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up to me as if to say that you were old and tired and that after all these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one favor.

With tears in my eyes, I drove you one last time to the vet. One last time you were lying next to me. For some strange reason, you were able to stand up in the animal hospital; perhaps it was your sense of pride.

As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say, "Thank you for taking care of me."

I thought, "No, thank you for taking care of me."

Discuss Thrower
05-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Jeezus, how many times in a day can one get choked up over a damn message board?

Joie
05-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Jeezus, how many times in a day can one get choked up over a damn message board?
So far? Three times. Reading the OP, typing my post, and that damn post with the disclaimer I should have listened to. Where the hell are my tissues?

El Jefe
05-25-2007, 09:12 PM
You can't replace your best friend, but you can let others into your life to love.

Wow I could not of said it any better. That is exactly my thinking, you cant replace them, you choose to have another dog to share and start a relationship with.

El Jefe
05-25-2007, 09:22 PM
You know I have been asked, why get another one if you know this can happen again? I simply reply because the time you have with them is great and you cant beat the love you get for them. But it is so very sad to see them go, but if you gave them a great life, you have something to feel good about.

Joie
05-25-2007, 09:32 PM
You know I have been asked, why get another one if you know this can happen again? I simply reply because the time you have with them is great and you cant beat the love you get for them. But it is so very sad to see them go, but if you gave them a great life, you have something to feel good about.
If you fear getting hurt, you never truly love. The reason it hurts so much is because she meant so much. You'll give another dog a great home, just as soon as you're ready.

El Jefe
05-25-2007, 09:45 PM
If you fear getting hurt, you never truly love. The reason it hurts so much is because she meant so much. You'll give another dog a great home, just as soon as you're ready.

You know it might sound corny, but I had no idea so many people have gone through this also (on this board). You cant beat the real sincerity of people on this board and I would like to thank everyone who has gone out of their way to offer encouragement, advice, and just wisdom so to speak on the situation at hand.