PDA

View Full Version : Locker Room Loose Despite Green

Count Zarth
05-26-2007, 09:18 AM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/646811.html

Itís only May and already the fireworks surrounding the Chiefs could light up an entire yearís worth of 4th of July celebrations. These voluntary OTA sessions are about evaluating players, but instead this past week the only thing the media talked about was the Trent Green saga and how it affects team morale. From what I saw in the locker room, Iím not sure itís much of an issue at all.

Distractions are common in the NFL. Players of all varieties of experience do their best to focus on the job at hand. The young guys have a few new bucks in their pockets. Theyíre trying to find their identity on the field and handle their new entourage off the field.

The 2007 season might be the last go around for the next tier of players fighting for a spot on this roster. But the true veterans pushing the prime of their careers have a swagger about them that theyíve earned playing the game between the white lines on Sundays.

When one of their own gets caught up in the middle of a dispute with management Ė as is the case with Trent Green - players respond in different ways. Some outwardly show concern for their comrade. Others couldnít care less. Some view the dispute as a possible preview of their own future.

Most fans love this kind of drama in the offseason. It takes a bite out of the long months between January and September.

But this situation is slightly different. Trent Green and his agent have pled their case on every sports channel around the country. The smallest bit of information is thrown about as fact and Chiefs Nation is left to interpret and separate fact from fiction.

In the locker room this entire week every member of the media asked any Chiefs player who would talk about it if the situation was a distraction. For the most part, all the players supported Green, but also understood itís a business.

But actions speak louder than words.

For those of us who are privileged enough to walk through the locker room after practice, there was a noticeable change in the atmosphere. Yes, Green was a hot topic, but the players were loose, confident and for the most part enjoyed one another.

Punter Dustin Colquitt playfully lobbed verbal barbs at safety Bernard Pollard. Running back Larry Johnson whizzed a sock over my left ear in an attempt to hit linebacker Derrick Johnson as the media interviewed him.

I turned as and LJ yelled something at DJ, who just laughed. The running back flashed a big grin.

This type of behavior was the norm the entire week Ė not the exception.

On the practice field, it was business as usual. There were dropped passes, yelling coaches and sweating players. In the middle of it all, it was clear that one man was in charge - Herm Edwards.

That respect only comes when players believe in a coach. Maybe some donít privately, but based on the fact this roster will have roughly 40 new players on it compared to Dick Vermeilís last team, Iíd say Edwards has the majority support.

Edwards erupted in front of the media the other day, and rightfully so. His integrity and honesty were called into question. Not directly, but the intent was there and he didnít like it. I canít say I blame him. The circus around the Green saga is there because it just is. This isnít exclusive to the Chiefs. It happens in every NFL city. In Kansas City it shouldnít be a surprise. Carl Peterson has been dealing with tough negotiations and unpopular decisions for 18 years.

Every player in the locker room knows that, so this isnít a shock to those who may have sat across from him in a negotiation once or twice. Just ask Tony Gonzalez, whoís been through some battles with Peterson but is still on the roster because itís where he wants to be. With the exception of Green, almost everyone else is content. They have a job to do because they know thatís why they get paid. But despite the madness surrounding this situation, the team is moving on. I donít think itís affecting the players in any way.

And itís definitely not affecting the coaching staff in May. What happens in the early summer months has little impact when the season begins.

The players I talked on and off the record with about this saga all get it. For those not affected by it, they move on. For the players who have never experienced this, welcome to NFL 101.

This locker room is loose, content and busting chops as if theyíve been buddies for decades. But more importantly, to a man this locker room understands Greenís plight and it wonít prevent them from doing their jobs until the regular seasonís final snap. In the end they know Green is just one out of 53, and he wonít be around in September.

Phobia
05-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Cool, more Green articles.

the Talking Can
05-26-2007, 09:36 AM
you have towel fights with the DL?

NewChief
05-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Sweet. WPI has become an extension of kcchiefs.com

Count Zarth
05-26-2007, 09:41 AM

I beg to differ:

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/644249.html

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/639177.html

Deberg_1990
05-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Cool, more Green articles.

I love how everyone says its a non-story, yet continues to write and post columns about it....

cdcox
05-26-2007, 09:42 AM

WPI has always been the propaganda and disinformation branch of the Chiefs organization.

Phobia
05-26-2007, 09:46 AM
WPI has always been the propaganda and disinformation branch of the Chiefs organization.
I know "this guy" who would agree and he would know.

The Bad Guy
05-26-2007, 09:48 AM
If you're going to run a piece like this, you include quotes from players.

Phobia
05-26-2007, 09:49 AM
If you're going to run a piece like this, you include quotes from players.

Nah, just pointing out that you were there is good enough.

htismaqe
05-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Too bad this had to come from WPI. It undermines the importance of the story:

The Trent Green situation is NOT tearing this team apart, as some would have us believe.

Sure-Oz
05-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Team probably wants him gone so this stupid distraction adn wining and bitching can go away

cdcox
05-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Too bad this had to come from WPI. It undermines the importance of the story:

The Trent Green situation is NOT tearing this team apart, as some would have us believe.

I never really thought that it would. A few players, like Brian Waters are going to gripe and take Trent's side, but once the pads go on, something minor like this is going to take back stage.

Deberg_1990
05-26-2007, 09:56 AM

No, but it keeps the team in the headlines...good or bad. Good for the NFL overall....

The Sky is Falling, The Sky is Falling!!!!

Count Zarth
05-26-2007, 09:59 AM
BTW, according to what I've heard, LJ isn't such a moody **** in the locker room anymore.

OnTheWarpath58
05-26-2007, 10:00 AM
No, but it keeps the team in the headlines...good or bad. Good for the NFL overall....

The Sky is Falling, The Sky is Falling!!!!

htismaqe
05-26-2007, 10:10 AM
I never really thought that it would. A few players, like Brian Waters are going to gripe and take Trent's side, but once the pads go on, something minor like this is going to take back stage.

It was brought to my attention the other day that Brian Waters is the Chiefs' representative to the NFLPA.

Waters might be doing his "job" moreso than actually taking Trent's side.

milkman
05-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Team probably wants him gone so this stupid distraction adn wining and bitching can go away

I thought the "wining" left with Dick.

NewChief
05-26-2007, 10:14 AM
It was brought to my attention the other day that Brian Waters is the Chiefs' representative to the NFLPA.

I think Waters will be fine, regardless, because he's not an outspoken guy. He may not be thrilled with things, but he's not going to get vocal and start complaining. I also think team chemistry will be fine as long as they're winning. As I said the other day, though, if the team comes out and sucks it up and if the offense specifically sucks it up, I think there will be locker room issues. That could be said for any team, though, and the issue with Trent has very little to do with it. It has more to do with Herm getting players to buy into what he's selling.

Buehler445
05-26-2007, 10:23 AM

That is a very interesting point. Thanks for bringing it up. I just hope things are going well in the locker room for the Chiefs. Does any one remember if Herm's locker room fell apart when all his quarterbacks got hurt and he went 2-14? If he can hold that one together, I'd think he'd ought to be able to handle the Trent case.

bringbackmarty
05-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Waters is pretty outspoken actually, and my gut tells me that Trent will be the starter on opening day, unless the compensation rises to at least a fourth. Both GM's are too proud to cave any more.

The Bad Guy
05-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Nah, just pointing out that you were there is good enough.

No, it's not.

Just because you were there one day doesn't mean shit. If you are going to report on a locker room setting, you get quotes from players that are in there everyday.

milkman
05-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Waters is pretty outspoken actually, and my gut tells me that Trent will be the starter on opening day, unless the compensation rises to at least a fourth. Both GM's are too proud to cave any more.

I really don't believe pride plays any part in this.

This is about value.

Carl believes that the Dolphins are trying to make a trade for their next starting QB, and feels that a 4th round pick, at the least, is fair value.

He might even feel that's generous.

Randy Mueller believes that he's trading for a guy whose impact on the team's fortunes over the next couple of seasons will be minimal at best.

You don't trade away your future for what amounts to a transition player.

That's how I see it.

I don't believe that this deal gets done, because if either of them budge and meet the other's price, they are crazy.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Edwards had to deal with the NYC media for 5 years. I think he can handle Whitlock and KK & keep the lockerroom together

Mile High Mania
05-26-2007, 11:21 AM
fluff

Mile High Mania
05-26-2007, 11:24 AM
I did think this was valuable... "On the practice field, it was business as usual. There were dropped passes, yelling coaches..."

Easy 6
05-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Edwards had to deal with the NYC media for 5 years. I think he can handle Whitlock and KK & keep the lockerroom together

Good point.

Rain Man
05-26-2007, 11:30 AM
I really don't believe pride plays any part in this.

This is about value.

Carl believes that the Dolphins are trying to make a trade for their next starting QB, and feels that a 4th round pick, at the least, is fair value.

He might even feel that's generous.

Randy Mueller believes that he's trading for a guy whose impact on the team's fortunes over the next couple of seasons will be minimal at best.

You don't trade away your future for what amounts to a transition player.

That's how I see it.

I don't believe that this deal gets done, because if either of them budge and meet the other's price, they are crazy.

Yeah, but a 4th-round pick is a pretty low price in the future. The Dolphins' guy thinks that a 3rd-string linebacker next year year is worth more than a starting quarterback over the next two years?

People can criticize Carl all they want, but the Dolphins are the idiots here. If they want Trent Green as their QB, a 4th-round pick is a huge, huge bargain. If they refuse to pay it, I'd be delighted to have Trent on our roster for the full season. How many times in NFL history has depth at the QB position saved the day for teams? I can think of several Super Bowl teams that wouldn't have won without good backups.

Phobia
05-26-2007, 11:31 AM
No, it's not.

Just because you were there one day doesn't mean shit. If you are going to report on a locker room setting, you get quotes from players that are in there everyday.

I was being a little sarcastic. I spent very little time in the locker room but when I was there, you can be sure I came away with quotes.

Sure-Oz
05-26-2007, 11:34 AM
People can criticize Carl all they want, but the Dolphins are the idiots

Some of us tend to forget this is the same team that passed over Brady Quinn to draft an injured Tedd Ginn Jr....eff the dolphins.

milkman
05-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Yeah, but a 4th-round pick is a pretty low price in the future. The Dolphins' guy thinks that a 3rd-string linebacker next year year is worth more than a starting quarterback over the next two years?

If a 4th round pick is such a low price, then why is Carl even haggling?

Because, the fact is, it's not as low as you would try to make it out to be with this post.

People can criticize Carl all they want, but the Dolphins are the idiots here. If they want Trent Green as their QB, a 4th-round pick is a huge, huge bargain. If they refuse to pay it, I'd be delighted to have Trent on our roster for the full season. How many times in NFL history has depth at the QB position saved the day for teams? I can think of several Super Bowl teams that wouldn't have won without good backups.

I'm not critisizing Carl.
I think he's doing exactly what he should be doing.
He can not give the Dolphins the '07 (and possibly '08) starting QB for less than a 4th.

But on the other side, I think that Mueller is alos doing exactly the right thing for the Dolphins.
He'd be foolish to give up a 4th round pick for a QB that will only be there for a couple of years, at best, especially considering that team is not even likley to finish ahead of the Jets in their division in those 2 seasons, and equally likely to miss the playoffs.

There's just no value in that for the Dolphins.

milkman
05-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Some of us tend to forget this is the same team that passed over Brady Quinn to draft an injured Tedd Ginn Jr....eff the dolphins.

Some people think that Brady Quinn is overrated, and isn't terribly accurate.

And accuracy in the Coryell offense is a must.

htismaqe
05-26-2007, 12:39 PM
That is a very interesting point. Thanks for bringing it up. I just hope things are going well in the locker room for the Chiefs. Does any one remember if Herm's locker room fell apart when all his quarterbacks got hurt and he went 2-14? If he can hold that one together, I'd think he'd ought to be able to handle the Trent case.

I don't know about Herm's stint in New York, but the KC lockerroom hasn't been harmonius since 1997 or so. The players quit on Gunther in 2000, and Vermeil's locker room was full of tension from the day he arrived.

htismaqe
05-26-2007, 12:40 PM

If Trent Green is starting for the Chiefs on opening day, either Mike Solari or Gunther Cunningham will be roaming the sidelines as "interim" head coach.

keg in kc
05-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Waters is the team's NFLPA rep.

Of course he's outspoken....

tmax63
05-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Maybe LJ can send a box of Pampers over to Trent's locker since LJ has definately proved he don't need them anymore.

BigMeatballDave
05-26-2007, 03:03 PM
my gut tells me that Trent will be the starter on opening dayIf this happens, I will be ****ing furious!

htismaqe
05-26-2007, 03:05 PM
If this happens, I will be ****ing furious!

As I stated earlier, if Trent Green is starting for the Chiefs on opening day, either Mike Solari or Gunther Cunningham will be roaming the sidelines as "interim" head coach.

Mecca
05-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Who was the radio guy Herm chewed out........anyone know?

OnTheWarpath58
05-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Who was the radio guy Herm chewed out........anyone know?

DA......

BigMeatballDave
05-26-2007, 03:08 PM
As I stated earlier, if Trent Green is starting for the Chiefs on opening day, either Mike Solari or Gunther Cunningham will be roaming the sidelines as "interim" head coach.
:) Yeah, I just read that...

Mecca
05-26-2007, 03:10 PM
DA......

DA was probably just upset that his buddies Dante Hall and Lawrence Tynes have both been traded...

milkman
05-26-2007, 05:30 PM

Can you expand on that?

Direckshun
05-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Can you expand on that?
I think he means that Green starts on opening day over Herm's dead body.

milkman
05-26-2007, 05:38 PM
I think he means that Green starts on opening day over Herm's dead body.

If that is the case, then I disagree.

Herman ****ing Edwards is going to play the guy that gives the team the best chance to win.

If Green isn't traded (and I really don't think that he will be) , and he is that guy, then Herman ****ing Edwards is going to start him.

Mecca
05-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Ugh if Green is on the team when the season starts this is going to be a long season of Green stories and ESPN every day........

Welcome to the TO circus.

htismaqe
05-26-2007, 07:41 PM
If that is the case, then I disagree.

Herman ****ing Edwards is going to play the guy that gives the team the best chance to win.

If Green isn't traded (and I really don't think that he will be) , and he is that guy, then Herman ****ing Edwards is going to start him.

Nope.

Herm doesn't want him and he doesn't want Herm. That bridge has been burned.

If Trent Green starts day 1, it's because Carl Peterson got involved.

milkman
05-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Nope.

Herman ****ing Edwards doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut.

Bridges have been burned in the NFL many times, and yet they find ways to cross those ravines when it matters.

Direckshun
05-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Nope.

My in depth knowledge of Peterson only goes so far.

Has there ever been a time in his tenure where he's gotten involved like that, exerting one player to start over another?

Given the dramatic shifts in the Chiefs' personality to fit that of its HCs, I don't think so.