Silock
05-26-2007, 10:35 AM
http://www.celebsmoking.com/H_Bonham_Carter.jpg

OnTheWarpath58
05-26-2007, 10:48 AM
One of my favorite movies.

Fly O.T. McWall
05-26-2007, 10:49 AM
one of the single most disturbing lines in cinema history.

scott free
05-26-2007, 10:59 AM
I would highly recommend reading the book, theres a lot of great stuff that the movie doesnt get to.

Rain Man
05-26-2007, 11:20 AM
What movie? What book? Who's the woman? What's going on?

CoMoChief
05-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Point of this thread is?

Bowser
05-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Point of this thread is?

You're new here, aren't you?

Thig Lyfe
05-26-2007, 11:31 AM

Fight Club. Fight Club. Helena Bonham Carter. No effing idea.

Silock
05-26-2007, 11:39 AM
I would highly recommend reading the book, theres a lot of great stuff that the movie doesnt get to.

Absolutely. The book is even more brilliant than the movie. Although, as far as book to movie transitions go, you gotta admit that it stayed pretty true to the original concept.

But I couldn't remember if that line was in the book or not. I just finished watching the movie this morning and can't stop laughing at that line.

CoMoChief
05-26-2007, 11:58 AM
You're new here, aren't you?
I guess so.

Frazod
05-26-2007, 12:26 PM
IIRC, the line was originally "I want to have your abortion," but they changed it.

Fly O.T. McWall
05-26-2007, 12:57 PM
IIRC, the line was originally "I want to have your abortion," but they changed it.
isn't that line in the movie too?

convict1983
05-26-2007, 02:10 PM

:shake:

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-26-2007, 02:29 PM

Yup.

Chuck P. actually said he liked the ending of the movie more...and I have to agree with him, although that's no diss to the book, which was phenomenal.

Stewie
05-26-2007, 02:31 PM
The "read the book, it's much better" crowd piss me off. What a bunch of Luzaps.

scott free
05-26-2007, 02:41 PM
The "read the book, it's much better" crowd piss me off. What a bunch of Luzaps.

Oh, you betcha, reading is for dummies.

Take a deep breath & let it out Cletus.

Stewie
05-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Oh, you betcha, reading is for dummies.

Take a deep breath & let it out Cletus.

Dude, I read much more important stuff than some lame-ass book. I don't have time for it, so the movies do just fine.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Dude, I read much more important stuff than some lame-ass book. I don't have time for it, so the movies do just fine.

Just like newspapers are pointless when you can watch Katie Couric, eh?

scott free
05-26-2007, 03:00 PM

OK Cap'n Brain, i'm sure "A Brief History of Time" is as low as your Mensa-Level Intellect will stoop.

Its a great book by a celebrated author, that includes all kinds of little details missing from a hugely popular movie. It would be FAR from lame to anyone who really liked the movie.

jidar
05-26-2007, 03:07 PM
One of my all time favorite movies.

I guess I should read the book but I mostly just read fantasy...

Bowser
05-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Helena Bonham-Carter was super hot as a cracked out ho.

Adept Havelock
05-26-2007, 03:56 PM

Yeah, that bunch of folks who appreciate nuance and internal monologue leading to deeper character development.... :cuss:

How dare they suggest someone might find a richer experience in reading a book as opposed to having someone producers impression of a literary work spoon-fed to them. How dare they!

one of the single most disturbing lines in cinema history.

So much so, I actually felt guilty about the deep belly-laugh it gave me the first time I heard it.

Oregon chief
05-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I read the book and thought is was pretty good. The guy has written some other books that im told are better. Nothing beats the movie though. Great movie top 5 all-time.

Your not your F***ing khakis

Silock
05-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah, that bunch of folks who appreciate nuance and internal monologue leading to deeper character development.... :cuss:

How dare they suggest someone might find a richer experience in reading a book as opposed to having someone producers impression of a literary work spoon-fed to them. How dare they!

But that doesn't mean that the movie is bad :)

If I want to read the book, I will. I own both. But the movie is easier :)

Adept Havelock
05-26-2007, 04:19 PM
But that doesn't mean that the movie is bad :)

If I want to read the book, I will. I own both. But the movie is easier :)

I quite agree. :) "Fight Club" is one of my favorite films, and a fantastic adaption of the novel. Possibly the best since "Bridge On/Over the River Kwai".

I was primarily remarking on the (IMO) foolish attitude of being pissed off simply because someone else might suggest the book could offer a deeper experience than the film.

Silock
05-26-2007, 04:53 PM
I'll drink to that.

Demonpenz
05-26-2007, 07:06 PM
that line is great

listopencil
05-26-2007, 08:02 PM
The book is always better than the movie. Always.

keg in kc
05-26-2007, 08:05 PM
The book is always better than the movie. Always.But...what about Dune?

(that there's what we call Frazee bait)

listopencil
05-26-2007, 08:30 PM
But...what about Dune?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

That movie sucked.

Bowser
05-26-2007, 08:34 PM
mwahhhhDEEEEEB

scott free
05-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

That movie sucked.

That movie sucked SO bad, that at one point, the President & NASA considered sending Bruce Willis & a rag-tag team of misfits up there to blow it to smithereens...before it sucked our solar system into an impenetrable hole of suck.

Adept Havelock
05-26-2007, 09:04 PM
But...what about Dune?

The Lynch version had decent casting, but largely sucked. The Sci-Fi minseries was much closer to the novel (except for the combining of the characters of Margot Fenrig and Irulan Corrino), but the costuming gave the impression of "Dune: The High School Play".

Children of Dune (mini) was a fantastic adaption of the books Dune:Messiah and Children of Dune. Alec Newman made a decent Paul Atrides, and a passable Muad 'Dib, but he was brilliant as "The Prophet".

That movie sucked SO bad, that at one point, the President & NASA considered sending Bruce Willis & a rag-tag team of misfits up there to blow it to smithereens...before it sucked our solar system into an impenetrable hole of suck.

Armedunein?

The book is always better than the movie. Always.

I respectfully disagree. Exhibit A: Pierre Boulle's original novel "Planet of the Apes" compared with the 68' sci-fi Classic.

Often, but not always.

ClevelandBronco
05-26-2007, 09:23 PM
To hell with books, newspapers, magazines and movies. If it isn't available on an anonymous Internet football forum it's worthless crap anyway.

listopencil
05-26-2007, 09:27 PM
I respectfully disagree. Exhibit A: Pierre Boulle's original novel "Planet of the Apes" compared with the 68' sci-fi Classic.

You think so? I love those movies. I've loved them since I first saw them on TV as a kid in the ealry 1970's. But I haven't read the original English translation of the book, so I can't disagree with you on this one. I'm going to have to go dig up a copy.

ClevelandChief
05-26-2007, 09:29 PM
OK Cap'n Brain, i'm sure "A Brief History of Time" is as low as your Mensa-Level Intellect will stoop.

Its a great book by a celebrated author, that includes all kinds of little details missing from a hugely popular movie. It would be FAR from lame to anyone who really liked the movie.

Green Eggs and Ham bitches.

FD
05-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Apparently Helena BonhamCarter didnt know how bad that line was until much later, in the UK grade school means up through high school. I cant believe they thought that was better than the abortion line.

Third Eye
05-27-2007, 01:21 PM
My favorite line is "on a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

And Forward Dante, I love the Galifinakis quote. At least, I'm pretty sure that was him, wasn't it?

FD
05-27-2007, 02:01 PM
My favorite line is "on a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

And Forward Dante, I love the Galifinakis quote. At least, I'm pretty sure that was him, wasn't it?

Sure is, his one-liners rival mitch hedberg in my view

beavis
05-27-2007, 02:24 PM
I read the book after the movie, and the only thing I can remember that was really different was the ending. I remember thinking at the time that it was like reading the movie screenplay.

That being said, I thought the movie ending was a lot better than the book.

"His name was Robert Paulson."

KC Jones
05-27-2007, 02:49 PM

Often, but not always.

I'm sure this will be considered outrageous by the literati...

but I thought Apocalypse Now was a better film than Heart of Darkness was a book.

Adept Havelock
05-27-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm sure this will be considered outrageous by the literati...

but I thought Apocalypse Now was a better film than Heart of Darkness was a book.

As much as I love the novel, I may have to agree on this one as well. Apocalypse now was a fantastic variation on the theme.