PDA

View Full Version : Sewer line question..........

ROYC75
05-26-2007, 09:31 PM
OK, our outside sewer line is made up of old clay sewer pipe. Each year, sometimes twice a year we have to have the tree roots cut out. This shit is getting old at 90.00 a pop. Our line is probally 250 ' long to the main line with 4 trees in line with it. It gets hammered each year and other than digging it all up and going with plastic line, Is there some type of treatment to flush down the drain monthly to slow the roots down ?

Salt ? My bathroom, which was added on has plastic drains to the main line , which runs to the clay sewer line.

Will the salt hurt the cast iron pipe as big as main line is. There is only about 5 foot of line before it goes to the clay line.

Anybody ?

Bob Dole
05-26-2007, 09:34 PM
A cup of rock salt a month will help, but probably won't eliminate the problem altogether.

Be thankful it's only running you $90 a pop. :)

ChiefsFire
05-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Crap flows downhill and dont chew your fingernails after working on on it....

Copper sulfate will help with the roots

plbrdude
05-26-2007, 09:40 PM
most root killers are made up of copper sulfate. 3x a year prolly 2 - 2lb container to cover 250'. expect to pay 18 - 30 bucks a container. still no guarentees though.

ChiefsFire
05-26-2007, 09:48 PM
most root killers are made up of copper sulfate. 3x a year prolly 2 - 2lb container to cover 250'. expect to pay 18 - 30 bucks a container. still no guarentees though.

Id say his best bet is to dig it up and replace it if he has plans to stay there long term......root killer is a band aid on a hemorroid..

cdcox
05-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Id say his best bet is to dig it up and replace it if he has plans to stay there long term......root killer is a band aid on a hemorroid..

Yep. Everytime I get a hemorrhoid, I dig that sucker out.

plbrdude
05-26-2007, 09:53 PM

kinda what i was sayin, without comin out and sayin it

ROYC75
05-26-2007, 09:55 PM
I thought of copper sulfate once and couldn't find it here, it works great on pond moss, except a few bluegill it kills.

Rock salt is easy to find.........

ChiefsFire
05-26-2007, 09:55 PM
kinda what i was sayin, without comin out and sayin it

hah...terd herder...

guess im preachin to the choir here...I better leave this thread to the expert

ROYC75
05-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Not sure if I want to keep the house when the wife passes away...... will probally pull up my roots here and move back to KC.

Phobia
05-27-2007, 12:04 AM
$90 a pop is stealing. You should be arrested for that.

ROYC75
05-27-2007, 11:30 AM
$90 a pop is stealing. You should be arrested for that.

I understand this, the cost of living is cheaper here for stuff like this, But it doesn't change the fact that I hate to shell out the cash when times are so tough for us right now.

I'm a tight wad, OK ..........

BigVE
05-27-2007, 11:36 AM
I understand this, the cost of living is cheaper here for stuff like this, But it doesn't change the fact that I hate to shell out the cash when times are so tough for us right now.

I'm a tight wad, OK ..........

That pretty much settles it then, huh? Rock salt is CHEAP as you can get, you KNOW you don't want to sell out the cash it would take to dig up and replace 250ft. of sewer line. Problem solved....Band-aid it is.

ROYC75
05-27-2007, 11:48 AM
But with 4 big trees right in line feeding off it, I'm not convinced the salt will slow it down unless it was flushed just about every day.

Keep inmind that this house sends alot, I mean alot of water down thru that line with 9 people living here.

I'm thinking it isn't going to help to do it once in awhile.... probally a daily dose .

The cost of replacing the line will be great, have to pull up the floor in the added on tool room, across 2 ends of our circle drive and thru 4 sets of tree roots for 250 ' to the city main line.

Any plumbers here have an idea of the cost ?

BigVE
05-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Dang, good luck dude.

ROYC75
05-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Dang, good luck dude.

Reson me thinks if I can slow it down would be best If I decide to move soon.

Last year the plumber's snake broke thru a section about 25' from the city's main line that runs across our property. It cost me $ 300.00 to put in a 4' section. He told me then that we would be running into this alot unless we could slow down the roots.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-27-2007, 12:06 PM
keep using the rock salt or copper sulfate. flush it down just before bed, so it sits in the line all night long and seeps into the roots.

elvomito
05-27-2007, 01:16 PM
why not pull up some roots from the ground and put them in a glass jar, pour some sulfuric acid in there to see how it reacts. i'm talkin the sulfuric acid drain unclogger from the hardware store, next to the copper sulfate. if it totally dissolves them, maybe treat it with a few gallons of that stuff then do a regular maintenence of copper. if there was a way toget it to foam up that'd be even better.
also, this (http://www.sepro.com/default.php?page=spinout) product uses copper hydroxide for a similar effect.

Groves
05-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Look at it this way. Underground directional boring will run you about $70 per foot, and maybe for 250 feet they will bring the price down to $50. So on the bright side, at MOST, you'll spend $13,000 to replace that line.

I really know how to make a tightwad's day. I have practice here at home.

PS. I fogot to add the cost of the line, but it shouldn't add more than $3000 to the bill.

elvomito
05-27-2007, 04:22 PM
i heard outhouses are pretty cheap these days

plbrdude
05-27-2007, 06:24 PM
But with 4 big trees right in line feeding off it, I'm not convinced the salt will slow it down unless it was flushed just about every day.

Keep inmind that this house sends alot, I mean alot of water down thru that line with 9 people living here.

I'm thinking it isn't going to help to do it once in awhile.... probally a daily dose .

The cost of replacing the line will be great, have to pull up the floor in the added on tool room, across 2 ends of our circle drive and thru 4 sets of tree roots for 250 ' to the city main line.

Any plumbers here have an idea of the cost ?

wild guess---assuming your drive is not asphalt or cement.or the sewer is not exceptionaly deep. 4-6k. oh. why tear up the floor if the trees and roots are out from the house. find the line near by the house and start from there.

ROYC75
05-27-2007, 09:51 PM
wild guess---assuming your drive is not asphalt or cement.or the sewer is not exceptionaly deep. 4-6k. oh. why tear up the floor if the trees and roots are out from the house. find the line near by the house and start from there.

Where the clean out trap is that we put in, there is 15' of tile left under the added on tool room on the back of the house. It's as old as the latteral line is going out.

We have an asphalt circle drive that goes over the top of this line...

We were lucky where the plummer broke thru the line last year, past the set of 3 trees. I'm just sure the more he cuts thru each year, eventually he will continue to destroy this old tile around the joints.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Isn't the clay sewer pipe a larger diameter than the PVC pipe you would be laying? You could run the PVC through the clay tile under the drive. With out having to tear it up

ROYC75
05-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Isn't the clay sewer pipe a larger diameter than the PVC pipe you would be laying? You could run the PVC through the clay tile under the drive. With out having to tear it up

With a very large soft maple tree right next to the line, which set between the circle drive, I don't think a pipe would slide thru it. Pus redusing the size of the line would trouble me with my group of kids and adults.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-27-2007, 10:17 PM
With a very large soft maple tree right next to the line, which set between the circle drive, I don't think a pipe would slide thru it. Pus redusing the size of the line would trouble me with my group of kids and adults.

The maples' roots have prolly made the tile to crooked to feed the line through any way

'Hamas' Jenkins
Try some antifreeze.

ROYC75
I'm thinking of maybe redoing the line myself, just adding a new line 5 ' over and tieing in both ends if I redo it.

Just not sure I want to do this of if I can get by. I know for the last 7 years, we have to have it done each year, last year 2 times and one of them he broke thru the tile.

We had a shitty mess in the yard ..........

ROYC75
05-27-2007, 10:18 PM
The maples roots' have prolly made the tile to crooked to feed the line through any way

It's a very large tree, probally 10' around ....

Wile_E_Coyote
05-27-2007, 10:26 PM
& I've been bitching because I need to replace the culvert at the end of my gravel drive. I feel foolish now

ROYC75
05-27-2007, 10:32 PM
I know that there is very little room between the tree and the line for another line, the tree roots from that tree alone is going to be a major pain in the butt.

The other 3 trees are 2 cottonwoods and 1 elm. The elm will have some very tough roots to go thru.

The other option is gpoing to the north side of the house and riding down along the property next door, far away from the trees.

But to keep things in mind here, along theie property to the north is a fence row with alot of trees, so we are talking about running parallel with the fencew row, approx. 50 ' away. Probally less large roots to deal with from the large maple tree and the 3 amigos on the west end of the property.

The good thing is the land does run doenhill to the main city line........

plbrdude
05-28-2007, 07:32 AM
if you have clay tile i doubt the plumber is breaking the tile. past experience with this has shown me that the roots find the bell of the pipe and start in fom there. they will eventually crack the bell for more room and allow the joint to start leaking. this in turn can allow the joint to shift.
there are a few processes that say they only require two holes to replace the line. one is a relining process with a machine that injects a resin of some sort in the pipe. another is a "pipe bursting" meathod where a tool is hydralically pulled thropugh the line. then you pull back a flexible pipe through the broken enlarged line. no personal experience with either though. but from the reading on it i've done i'm not sold on them. looks good on paper, real world could be quite different.

Hog Farmer
05-28-2007, 09:00 AM
The mighty Scanlon could blow the tree roots out with one puff.

Skip Towne
05-28-2007, 09:12 AM
The mighty Scanlon could blow the tree roots out with one puff.
He could just order the roots to get out of the pipe.

Stewie
05-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Bringin' it back...