PDA

View Full Version : It's time to clean out my IPOD and reload. Where do you download your music from?

Mr. Flopnuts
05-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I need some new jams. It's necessary. Where do you get your free music from? I used to use Limewire, but I'm sure there's something better out there by now.

milkman
05-26-2007, 10:25 PM
I just listen to the radio.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-26-2007, 10:30 PM
I just listen to the radio.

Does it look like this old man?

milkman
05-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Does it look like this old man?

What, you think I'm made of money and can just buy those new fangled contraptions?

ChiefsCountry
05-27-2007, 01:59 AM
Limewire still works well.

Silock
05-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Why don't you just rob a record store?

I like to use audiojelly, beatport and iTunes music store. Easier to actually pay for the music, IMO.

dtebbe
05-27-2007, 08:24 AM
http://www.allofmp3.com

Demonpenz
05-27-2007, 08:29 AM
i use songs.net there are music for 99 cents out there

BigVE
05-27-2007, 11:32 AM
For me FREE still seems a bit cheaper than 99cents per song, that's just me though. Limewire suits me just fine.

Demonpenz
05-27-2007, 11:35 AM
For me FREE still seems a bit cheaper than 99cents per song, that's just me though. Limewire suits me just fine.

sorry I don't believe in stealing. Pretty soon there will be no incentive to create music.

unothadeal
05-27-2007, 11:35 AM
No reason not to use LimeWire

Bob Dole
05-27-2007, 12:27 PM
No reason not to use LimeWire

Aside from that whole "illegal" thing...

unothadeal
05-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Aside from that whole "illegal" thing...
He's looking for free music.

unothadeal
05-27-2007, 12:39 PM
sorry I don't believe in stealing. Pretty soon there will be no incentive to create music.
Money shouldn't be the only reason people make music.

Silock
05-27-2007, 01:06 PM

So, you're trying to justify stealing music based on that? Sorry, not buying into that.

KurtCobain
05-27-2007, 01:10 PM
I use Bearshare.

88TG88
05-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Artists have to much money as it is.

Limewire works fine but torrents have less of those blank files.

ChiefaRoo
05-27-2007, 01:58 PM
I used Peachware 2222/4.6 with the enhanced gigaphonic T4 broadband spectral transfer protocal.

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
05-27-2007, 02:08 PM
why steal a shitty sounding mp3 file. just go to best buy and steal the actual cd, it sounds alot better.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2007, 05:53 PM
So, you're trying to justify stealing music based on that? Sorry, not buying into that.

I never have understood this. How do you steal music? Once it's created and put over free airwaves via the radio it's pretty available. When cassette tapes were all the rage and people would record songs right off of the radio why did no one cry about it then? Sound quality? That's all I can think of. Here's another one. How is it that it's okay for record companies to steal from consumers for YEARS through price gouging and only have to pay each individual consumer $20, yet if you get caught sharing music files you're liable for hundreds of thousands? **** em. I give a shit. BTW Limewire is far superior today than it was when I used it last.

Mecca
05-27-2007, 06:00 PM
I use Limewire too actually...........I enjoy how this thread has turned into that discussion........

what if you have a big Ipod........you know I'd rather not pay thousands of dollars to fill my Ipod.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2007, 06:02 PM
I use Limewire too actually...........I enjoy how this thread has turned into that discussion........

what if you have a big Ipod........you know I'd rather not pay thousands of dollars to fill my Ipod.

How else are all of those starving musicians going to pay for their 300 cars?

Bob Dole
05-27-2007, 06:02 PM

Oh. Well that makes all the difference in the world. Carry on. :rolleyes:

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2007, 06:04 PM
How else are all of those starving musicians going to pay for their 300 cars?

I shouldn't even pretend like it's the artists that really suffer. If that was the case I could better understand the angst of people who oppose it. Fact is, artists get very little royalty from the proceeds of their own art, most of it goes directly to the Record Label that produced it. Artists make money on their tours. You can't steal those. The cars are safe.

Mecca
05-27-2007, 06:06 PM
We're costing big business record labels money.......damn us.

Whatever happened to fight the power or fight the man........guess that rhetoric is out for "hey man just give in"

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:08 PM
I never have understood this. How do you steal music? Once it's created and put over free airwaves via the radio it's pretty available. When cassette tapes were all the rage and people would record songs right off of the radio why did no one cry about it then? Sound quality? That's all I can think of.

No one cried about it because 1) They don't play the whole album on the radio. If you like the song on the radio, and you want more, you go buy the album. Nowadays, people just steal the whole album. 2) Yes, sound quality is one thing, and stations never play the whole song without some kind of interruption.

Here's another one. How is it that it's okay for record companies to steal from consumers for YEARS through price gouging and only have to pay each individual consumer $20, yet if you get caught sharing music files you're liable for hundreds of thousands? **** em. I give a shit.

Welcome to capitalism. They're not stealing money from you if you choose to pay $20 for a CD. They set their prices, and if you don't like it, you don't buy the album. It's pretty simple.

By your logic, we should all just go steal cars and computers. How DARE the manufacturer charge thousands of dollars for what should be freely available merchandise?

Mecca
05-27-2007, 06:10 PM
So anyone who has connections or a way of getting something cheaper than it's face value is a criminal right?

Bob Dole
05-27-2007, 06:11 PM

Whatever happened to fight the power or fight the man........guess that rhetoric is out for "hey man just give in"

What ever happened to "if you want something, save your money and pay for it"?

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:11 PM

There's a LOT more to it than that. There are many people involved in making a record, and it's not just the record moguls that are affected. There are sound engineers, producers, etc., that rely on the artists coming in to produce a record for their livelihood. Sure, the record company owners make a lot of money. That doesn't give you the right to steal from them. Gas companies make a ton of money, but I don't see many people running around stealing gas. I wonder why... Oh wait, it's because they'll get caught and have to face the consequences.

If you want to make a point, just go to a record store and steal the album physically. But it's much easier to be a "Damn the man!" keyboard warrior hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:12 PM
So anyone who has connections or a way of getting something cheaper than it's face value is a criminal right?

Uhh, not if it's legal.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2007, 06:12 PM
By your logic, we should all just go steal cars and computers. How DARE the manufacturer charge thousands of dollars for what should be freely available merchandise?

Risk vs. Reward is a good explanation to cars, computers, and everything else that isn't media oriented. Capitalism has its risks involved. Here is one of them. Make your shit unaffordable and people find a way to get it for less, or in this case, nothing.

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Risk vs. Reward is a good explanation to cars, computers, and everything else that isn't media oriented. Capitalism has its risks involved. Here is one of them. Make your shit unaffordable and people find a way to get it for less, or in this case, nothing.

Music is very affordable. I don't know what you're talking about. You can buy a whole album for less than $10. The problem is that you can't get the same AMOUNT of music for $10.

The problem is that you want to have music AND everything else. You don't have to make a choice, because you're stealing all the music. Use whatever reason you want to try and justify it, but it's still stealing and it's still wrong.

Mecca
05-27-2007, 06:15 PM
What about Billy Corgan who essentially said record labels will have to find another way to make money because this is just a sign of the times with the advancements of things and will not stop or go away......

Then went onto to say it's just basic evolution and he has no problem with it.

Guru
05-27-2007, 06:16 PM
How many times can this be argued and in how many threads?

HolmeZz
05-27-2007, 06:16 PM
If I can listen to your music for free on the radio, I should be able to listen to it whenever I want. :shrug:

And the artists that complain about piracy are the one's that are wealthy to begin with. The one's who haven't made it big see the filesharing as a means of getting their music out to the public.

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:17 PM
What about Billy Corgan who essentially said record labels will have to find another way to make money because this is just a sign of the times with the advancements of things and will not stop or go away......

Then went onto to say it's just basic evolution and he has no problem with it.

So, one man speaks for everyone and that justifies breaking the law? That's absurd.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Music is very affordable. I don't know what you're talking about. You can buy a whole album for less than $10. The problem is that you can't get the same AMOUNT of music for $10.

The problem is that you want to have music AND everything else. You don't have to make a choice, because you're stealing all the music. Use whatever reason you want to try and justify it, but it's still stealing and it's still wrong.

Ok. If that's your opinion you're more than welcome to it. Lots of things are "wrong" and you're choosing to look at this from 1 angle. I'm ok with that. Eat the rich.

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:18 PM
If I can listen to your music for free on the radio, I should be able to listen to it whenever I want. :shrug:

And the artists that complain about piracy are the one's that are rich. The one's who haven't made it big like the downloading because it gets their music out there.

That's because there's a difference between giving music away and having it taken from you. I give some of my music away on the internet, but if you come up to me on the street and steal my CD, I'm going to be pissed.

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Ok. If that's your opinion you're more than welcome to it. Lots of things are "wrong" and you're choosing to look at this from 1 angle. I'm ok with that. Eat the rich.

It's not my opinion that it's stealing. It's an actual, proveable fact.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2007, 06:19 PM
That's because there's a difference between giving music away and having it taken from you. I give some of MY music away on the internet, but if you come up to me on the street and steal my CD, I'm going to be pissed.

I had a feeling there was an ulterior motive for your argument.

HolmeZz
05-27-2007, 06:20 PM
That's because there's a difference between giving music away and having it taken from you. I give some of my music away on the internet, but if you come up to me on the street and steal my CD, I'm going to be pissed.

You aren't having your music taken from you. You're the one putting it out there. If you don't want people listening to your music, don't put it out there!

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:20 PM
I had a feeling there was an ulterior motive for your argument.

And you have an ulterior motive for yours as well: You want something for nothing.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2007, 06:21 PM
It's not my opinion that it's stealing. It's an actual, proveable fact.

Feel free. It's available for free download on the intraweb. I'm not walking into someone's P.O.B and taking merchandise. It is a sound file. It's ENTIRELY debatable. Again though, your ulterior motive explains your position. Sorry you may be forced to get a real job like the rest of us. LMAO

Demonpenz
thieves are some of the worst criminals out there.

Mr. Flopnuts
And you have an ulterior motive for yours as well: You want something for nothing.

Yeah, a sound file. Down with the intraweb.

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:22 PM
You aren't having your music taken from you. You're the one putting it out there. If you don't want people listening to your music, don't put it out there!

See if you can follow the very clear distinction:

I put one song on the internet available for anyone to download and listen to as they wish.

I sell one CD to a person so they can listen to it whenever they wish for personal use. That person then rips the CD and puts it on the internet for anyone to download whenever they wish and they don't have to pay for the CD.

There's a HUGE difference.

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Feel free. It's available for free download on the intraweb. I'm not walking into someone's P.O.B and taking merchandise. It is a sound file. It's ENTIRELY debatable. Again though, your ulterior motive explains your position. Sorry you may be forced to get a real job like the rest of us. LMAO

I don't make money as a musician. Sorry to burst your bubble. I have a real job and have no aspirations or ill-conceived notions that I will ever be famous.

It's illegally available for free download on the internet. There is no debate about it, except among those that wish to justify greed.

Guru
05-27-2007, 06:24 PM
I just wish CDs were priced more affordably. $17.99 for a CD is stupid. I pay that for movies. All CDs should be 10 bucks or less. I mean the CD. I know you can get an entire CD from Itunes for 10 bucks. I want the CD that goes with it. And, NO, I don't think the CD, liner notes and plastic case are worth the extra 8 bucks when it only costs the record label about 60 cents to make those.

Mecca
So, one man speaks for everyone and that justifies breaking the law? That's absurd.

I'm just saying not every person in the music industry acts like "OMGZ downloading is bad"

Mr. Flopnuts

I put one song on the internet available for anyone to download and listen to as they wish.

I sell one CD to a person so they can listen to it whenever they wish for personal use. That person then rips the CD and puts it on the internet for anyone to download whenever they wish and they don't have to pay for the CD.

If it makes you feel better, I never download entire albums. Just individual songs. If an album is good enough, I buy it entirely. Downloading singles doesn't effect how much music I purchase. All it does is eliminate my need for the radio.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2007, 06:26 PM
I just wish CDs were priced more affordably. $17.99 for a CD is stupid. I pay that for movies. All CDs should be 10 bucks or less. I mean the CD. I know you can get an entire CD from Itunes for 10 bucks. I want the CD that goes with it. And, NO, I don't think the CD, liner notes and plastic case are worth the extra 8 bucks when it only costs the record label about 60 cents to make those.

The problem is the production. I don't have a problem with the price of CD's. I have a problem with the price of downloading music. .99 a song is retarded. When they realize the cost effectiveness of having people download music legally because it's not worth stealing they will realize the profits that come with volume downloads. Hit songs should go from .10 to .25 a pop. Somehow I think 10 million downloads at that price will produce a profit. More so than the one they make at .99 a song now, because more people like myself will find the risk vs reward factor to swing the other way.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2007, 06:28 PM
It's illegally available for free download on the internet. There is no debate about it, except among those that wish to justify greed.

I think this statement fits on both sides of the fence. If you're an artist to be an artist good for you. If you're trying to rake in millions for it though, I don't have sympathy for it. I never have, I never will. I could LIVE without any of it. Point is, I don't have too.

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:29 PM
The problem is the production. I don't have a problem with the price of CD's. I have a problem with the price of downloading music. .99 a song is retarded. When they realize the cost effectiveness of having people download music legally because it's not worth stealing they will realize the profits that come with volume downloads. Hit songs should go from .10 to .25 a pop. Somehow I think 10 million downloads at that price will produce a profit. More so than the one they make at .99 a song now, because more people like myself will find the risk vs reward factor to swing the other way.

As long as it's available for free, people will save their 25 cents per song and opt to steal it, unless the penalty for doing so is much, much harsher than it already is.

Mecca
05-27-2007, 06:29 PM
I buy CD's of the bands I like........

I own every Sevendust album...why? Because I enjoy them they are one of my favorite bands so I feel they are worth my money support.....

I don't buy many CD's unless I feel that band is really good and deserving of my support as a fan, such as I buy Pearl Jam CD's also.

Mecca
05-27-2007, 06:30 PM
As long as it's available for free, people will save their 25 cents per song and opt to steal it, unless the penalty for doing so is much, much harsher than it already is.

People should rot in prison with murderers and rapists for downloading music........... :rolleyes:

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2007, 06:30 PM

I disagree. Kids will. Adults won't. We're realists. It really does come down to risk vs. reward.

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:32 PM
I think this statement fits on both sides of the fence. If you're an artist to be an artist good for you. If you're trying to rake in millions for it though, I don't have sympathy for it. I never have, I never will. I could LIVE without any of it. Point is, I don't have too.

How is it greed if they make money from things that people are willing to spend their money on? Capitalism. Don't like it, don't buy it. But that doesn't mean you should steal it.

They're not hacking into your bank account and taking money out of your paycheck. But that's the net effect of what you're doing to them.

And the ethical argument doesn't care if they already have enough money. Some people in this world would argue that YOU have enough money. Does that make it okay for a poor person to come take your stuff? Of course not.

HolmeZz
05-27-2007, 06:32 PM

I don't agree with the premises, but if you're hung up on people having to pay to hear your music, you aren't in it for the right reasons anyway. Therefore, I'm not going to feel bad that you aren't making the amount of money you'd like.

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:33 PM
People should rot in prison with murderers and rapists for downloading music........... :rolleyes:

I never said that. But they should be subject to the same penalties that any other thief is.

Mr. Flopnuts
Sorry you may be forced to get a real job like the rest of us. LMAO

This was a childish thing for me to post. I regret it.

Mecca
This is all Lars fault.

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:35 PM
I don't agree with the premises, but if you're hung up on people having to pay to hear your music, you aren't in it for the right reasons anyway. Therefore, I'm not going to feel bad that you aren't making the amount of money you'd like.

So, a musician is only a worthwhile musician if they give their music away for free? :rolleyes:

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2007, 06:36 PM
This is all Lars fault.

Ahh yes. I'll never forget the last day I EVER listened to a Metallica song. I haven't heard one for more than 5 seconds since the day that greedy son of a bitch came out with all of that shit. Talk about sell out...........

Mecca
05-27-2007, 06:37 PM
So, a musician is only a worthwhile musician if they give their music away for free? :rolleyes:

I think his point is most of the artists bitching about this.......are the ones that already have millions of dollars and they are bitching that they don't have more......

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:39 PM
I think his point is most of the artists bitching about this.......are the ones that already have millions of dollars and they are bitching that they don't have more......

But the point has already been made that they make the vast majority of their money off of tours and concerts. So, which is it? Do they want their millions from their concerts, or the millions from CDs that they don't actually get?

It's about the principle.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2007, 06:39 PM

Hence, the ones who aren't TRUE artists anymore. Another thing. If I download music from CD's that I've bought in the past but were stolen, lost, or broken do I have to repurchase the license? It's bullshit that "artists" think that's the case. You only wrote the song once. Why should I pay for it more than that?

Mecca
05-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Yea I'm losing sleep that Lars and Metallica are upset....

HolmeZz
05-27-2007, 06:41 PM
But the point has already been made that they make the vast majority of their money off of tours and concerts.

Then why do they bitch about people listening to their music?

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2007, 06:42 PM

Real artists don't. They are thrilled to have the exposure.

Mecca
05-27-2007, 06:43 PM

Someone downloading thier music and hearing them would probably make them more apt to buy a concert ticket........

I wanna hear the response to this.......Obviously the bands have some money to be made in CD's or they wouldn't be flipping out.

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Hence, the ones who aren't TRUE artists anymore. Another thing. If I download music from CD's that I've bought in the past but were stolen, lost, or broken do I have to repurchase the license? It's bullshit that "artists" think that's the case. You only wrote the song once. Why should I pay for it more than that?

If my TV gets stolen, I don't get to go steal a new one to replace it. If I break my TV, I don't get to steal a new one to replace it. If I lose my TV, I don't get to steal a new one to replace it.

Man, I should REALLY start taking better care of my shit.

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Someone downloading thier music and hearing them would probably make them more apt to buy a concert ticket........

I wanna hear the response to this.......Obviously the bands have some money to be made in CD's or they wouldn't be flipping out.

Of course there's money to be made. It's money they rightfully earned. Forget the argument about whether or not they're really artists, because that's irrelevant to the discussion.

They are putting a product on the market. Whether or not you choose to buy it is your decision. But it's not right to just steal it because you don't want to pay for it or you don't think it's worth paying for. If it's not worth paying for the music, why steal it and listen to it? Why would you WANT to listen to music that you don't like?

They're people, just like you and me. They're doing a job, just like other people are. If you don't want to support it, then don't. But it's not your right to steal it.

Mecca
05-27-2007, 06:48 PM
If my TV gets stolen, I don't get to go steal a new one to replace it. If I break my TV, I don't get to steal a new one to replace it. If I lose my TV, I don't get to steal a new one to replace it.

Man, I should REALLY start taking better care of my shit.

That argument to me doesn't make sense because.........They don't make blank TV's for you to copy shit too......

I'm not walking into a store and stealing anything, I bought the blank CD I burned it on...or the Ipod or MP3 player.

HolmeZz
05-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Is taping a TV show stealing?

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:51 PM
That argument to me doesn't make sense because.........They don't make blank TV's for you to copy shit too......

I'm not walking into a store and stealing anything, I bought the blank CD I burned it on...or the Ipod or MP3 player.

I'm sure if TVs cost only $10, they'd find a way to let you copy the TV's functionality.

Silock
05-27-2007, 06:52 PM

That depends on what you do with it.

Bob Dole
05-27-2007, 06:53 PM

In case you've been living in a cave: the advertisers pays for your television shows.

HolmeZz
05-27-2007, 06:53 PM

Like what? Watch it whenever you want? Let your friends come over and watch it?

Mecca
05-27-2007, 06:56 PM
There are torrent sites to download porn movies......should the porn industry be coming after people for sharing porn?

There are also sites and download/torrent sites that have TV shows like the Office on them for downloads/view is this also illegal?

Demonpenz
05-27-2007, 06:57 PM
people are always bitching about the lack of new good music. Yet there is less and less incentive to pick up an guitar these days.

Guru
05-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Oh shit. Let's not go there now.

Mecca
05-27-2007, 06:59 PM
I'll be concerned if the porn industry ever comes after people....

Bob Dole
There are torrent sites to download porn movies......should the porn industry be coming after people for sharing porn?

There are also sites and download/torrent sites that have TV shows like the Office on them for downloads/view is this also illegal?

If they are placed there by someone other than the copyright owner, yes.

HolmeZz
In case you've been living in a cave: the advertisers pays for your television shows.

I know. It's free to access. Just like a song on the radio.

But apparently listening to the song is stealing and watching the show isn't?

Mecca
05-27-2007, 07:00 PM
If they are placed there by someone other than the copyright owner, yes.

So then why isn't the porn industry coming after people? There are tons of sites where you can download movies.......including the torrents like I mentioned before.....

Bob Dole
05-27-2007, 07:03 PM
So then why isn't the porn industry coming after people? There are tons of sites where you can download movies.......including the torrents like I mentioned before.....

Your question would be more appropriately addressed to the copyright holders.

Perhaps you should note the production company and distributor of each video you've obtained for free, and send them a quick email telling them that you got it for free and asking them why they haven't sued you.

Mecca
05-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Your question would be more appropriately addressed to the copyright holders.

Perhaps you should note the production company and distributor of each video you've obtained for free, and send them a quick email telling them that you got it for free and asking them why they haven't sued you.

Oh yes that would be brilliant.............don't make me tell them of Bob Dole's porn collection.

rad
05-27-2007, 07:42 PM
This has worked well for me:

http://downloadmusicinc.com/?st=11

It's like 30 bucks or so for lifetime unlimited downloads. Never had a problem with it. I've found everything I've looked for with it.

Guru
05-27-2007, 07:53 PM
This has worked well for me:

http://downloadmusicinc.com/?st=11

It's like 30 bucks or so for lifetime unlimited downloads. Never had a problem with it. I've found everything I've looked for with it.

I just don't see how that is any more legal than what everyone else is discussing here. Just because that website claims to be legal does not make it so.

rtmike
05-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Dumb question...could I use ITunes for a generic MP3 player, not an Apple?

Mr. Flopnuts
05-27-2007, 11:04 PM

But if they skip the commercials they're stealing from the advertisers who paid for the spot while you watched the show. At least by your logic they stole.

TinyEvel
05-27-2007, 11:08 PM
I crush earwigs with a spatula.

That's all the music I need.