PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibsons "Apocalypto"

Deberg_1990
05-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Mel Gibson may be one sadistic, racist, crazy bastard.......

But hes one Hell of a director!

See this flick. Its brutal to watch at times, but well worth it. For my money, might have been the most entertaining flick ive seen in a year.

I guess if i had to describe it: The worlds best, brutal, art-film action flick of all time.

KurtCobain
05-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Mel Gibsons "Apocalypto"

Sucked ass.

oaklandhater
05-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Sucked ass.

I thought it was a pretty good movie with a real Crap ending.

Deberg_1990
05-27-2007, 12:41 AM
I thought it was a pretty good movie with a real Crap ending.

Really? I liked the ending....the bad guys got theirs, plus it had a little surprise...

chagrin
05-27-2007, 12:42 AM
people forgive talented racists everyday, shouldn't matter what he thinks of Jewish people - the dude is a talented actor and director.

I hope people can forget about that shit when they try to analyze his work.

Or they can just stop watching all movies that ever come out again, there's a whole bunch of stuff released daily, including TV, by people that have offensive views.

Anyway, I am anxious to see this film, thanks for the mention of it dude :)

oaklandhater
05-27-2007, 12:49 AM
Really? I liked the ending....the bad guys got theirs, plus it had a little surprise...

It just seem cheap who would really just stop what they were Doing like that.

Fruit Ninja
05-27-2007, 12:50 AM
I really dont think he's a racist. Hell, i talk shit about all races including mine. I make fun of all races, including mine. Hell, all i ever had was white girls for girlfriends before. lol I dunno, i guess maybe it doesnt bother me like it does other people

Otter
05-27-2007, 02:10 AM
Here's the plot:

Good guy wronged by bad guy
Good guy suffers at hands of bad guy
Good guy gets back at bad guy
Good guy wins and all is welll

I've got nothing against Gibson but taking the same old plot and surrounding it with exotic jungles and civilizations doesn't make it any more original.

Some good movies:

Godfather I and II
The Way of the Gun
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
American Beauty

PM me if you want more, don't support the cookie cutter movies..and yes, Way of the Gun fits in that category.

Otter
05-27-2007, 02:11 AM
I really dont think he's a racist. Hell, i talk shit about all races including mine. I make fun of all races, including mine. Hell, all i ever had was white girls for girlfriends before. lol I dunno, i guess maybe it doesnt bother me like it does other people

Stay away from our women fooker!!!

:D

Demonpenz
05-27-2007, 02:27 AM
trying to give you summer...wish i could make you spring

Bob Dole
05-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Here's the plot:

Good guy wronged by bad guy
Good guy suffers at hands of bad guy
Good guy gets back at bad guy
Good guy wins and all is welll

I've got nothing against Gibson but taking the same old plot and surrounding it with exotic jungles and civilizations doesn't make it any more original.

While it may have been a variation of the same plot we've seen a bajillion times, you've got to admit it was pretty cool from a visual standpoint.

As for the ending: Who would have expected the Spaniards to show up? Wow!

JBucc
05-27-2007, 09:03 AM
I liked it. It was fun and violent and the actors were cool. And it wasn't a cgi overload POS. It's not some all time classic but I'm glad for having seen it. I liked the ending for what it was but I wanted more killing at that point so they could have delayed it a bit.

Deberg_1990
05-27-2007, 11:13 AM
I liked it. It was fun and violent and the actors were cool. And it wasn't a cgi overload POS.

Agreed...perhaps its greatest asset is that its completely unique and not like anything else playing out there in the past several years.....

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-31-2007, 10:38 PM
While it may have been a variation of the same plot we've seen a bajillion times, you've got to admit it was pretty cool from a visual standpoint.

As for the ending: Who would have expected the Spaniards to show up? Wow!

You wouldn't have expected the Spaniards to show up in a movie that was dealing with the decline of the Mayan civilization, which was pretty much eliminated 3 centuries before Cortes arrived.

I also wasn't a big fan of the way they conflated the Mayans with the Aztecs through large scale human sacrifice. If you want to make a movie that's a political allegory about the decline of civilization...fine, but at least be honest to the civilization that you are showing in decline.

The Aztecs practiced large scale sacrifice. The Mayans didn't.

Nzoner
06-05-2007, 10:11 PM

Finally saw it tonight and couldn't agree more.

My biggest problem with Gibson is him using the word focked in a so called historical movie as it was used in Braveheart as well.I have no problem with the word in general but as I recall that word didn't even exist until the late 1800's or early 1900's.Of course if I'm wrong here please someone correct me.

Deberg_1990
06-05-2007, 11:19 PM

My biggest problem with Gibson is him using the word focked in a so called historical movie as it was used in Braveheart as well.I have no problem with the word in general but as I recall that word didn't even exist until the late 1800's or early 1900's.Of course if I'm wrong here please someone correct me.

Gibson does have a few quicks about his directing style. He seems to have a weird sense of humor which leads to some goofy scenes.

But as a purely visual and action director, hes about as good as it gets.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-06-2007, 03:32 AM

**** has been around for 100's of years. There are latin verbs which can loosely translate to f*ck, but the use of f*ck in text dates back to the 15th century.

seclark
06-06-2007, 08:17 AM
**** has been around for 100's of years. There are latin verbs which can loosely translate to f*ck, but the use of f*ck in text dates back to the 15th century.
and people were f*cking a long time before that.
sec

LOCOChief
06-06-2007, 08:36 AM
It just seem cheap who would really just stop what they were Doing like that.

If aliens in their spaceship rolled up on your hood would you continue mowing your lawn?

Pushead2
06-06-2007, 08:38 AM
If aliens in their spaceship rolled up on your hood would you continue mowing your lawn?

Word Homie.

NewChief
06-06-2007, 08:43 AM
I liked it. Historical inaccuracies aside, it was a visually arresting interpretation of an under-depicted society.

Molitoth
06-06-2007, 08:50 AM
I liked it. Historical inaccuracies aside, it was a visually arresting interpretation of an under-depicted society.

I agree. This movie does not say "TRUE STORY" on the cover... its simply just a story "trying" to portray what times back then could have been like with the Mayans. I think it was a very unique film that was very well directed and did the job of keeping the audience interested through unique action scenes.

There were a few parts that drove me kinda crazy though...
For example, it shows Jaguar Paw running all the damn time, and the bad guys stopping all the time.... wouldn't you think Paw wouldv'e outran them a bit further then he did? Also, In a jungle where you grew up, wouldn't you think you could ditch some people chasing you? expecially in the dark?

Amnorix
06-06-2007, 08:55 AM
It's too bad. I like him as an actor and as a director.

But that guy will never get another nickel out of me, directly or indirectly.

Not that it matters to him, of course. He oculd never get another nickel out of anyone ever again, and would still retire richer than any of us, but it's the principle.

JBucc
06-06-2007, 09:02 AM
The only part I didn't like was the part with the actual jaguar or black panther or whatever. It was just silly that he outran the thing. And it looked awfully fake in some parts.

BIG_DADDY
06-06-2007, 10:57 AM
It's too bad. I like him as an actor and as a director.

But that guy will never get another nickel out of me, directly or indirectly.

Not that it matters to him, of course. He oculd never get another nickel out of anyone ever again, and would still retire richer than any of us, but it's the principle.

I have heard of that before, it's called the Michael Moore principle. I did watch this in the theatre, well worth it. I have probably seen Braveheart more than any other movie ever. That and Scarface.

Bob Dole
06-06-2007, 12:07 PM

If there were cats buried neck-deep in a row, you're damned right Bob Dole would!

MOhillbilly
06-06-2007, 12:15 PM
i liked it better than 300.

noa
06-06-2007, 12:19 PM
I thought it was a very good movie. Entertaining from start to finish, good acting, and great camera work IMO.

chagrin
06-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Okay - just star6ted watching this and the first few minutes are pretty good. Although I think I am desensitized by the ball eating alway shown on Fear Factor - so far, the parallel between dudes now and then are pretty accurate. I am talking about the general hazing they put each other through.

Anyway, I hope the rest is as good as it's supposed to be.

Frazod
06-24-2007, 07:07 PM
You wouldn't have expected the Spaniards to show up in a movie that was dealing with the decline of the Mayan civilization, which was pretty much eliminated 3 centuries before Cortes arrived.

I also wasn't a big fan of the way they conflated the Mayans with the Aztecs through large scale human sacrifice. If you want to make a movie that's a political allegory about the decline of civilization...fine, but at least be honest to the civilization that you are showing in decline.

Perhaps Mel is trying to tell us that those nasty Mayans had it coming when the Catholics showed up and slaughtered them all in the name of God. :thumb:

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 07:13 PM
It was a good movie but it didn't really have anything to do with Gibson's "civilizations rot from the inside" message at the start.

DMAC
06-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Don't rain.

DMAC
06-24-2007, 07:21 PM
I am a hunter. This is my forest. And my sons will hunt it with their sons after I am gone.

KCChiefsMan
06-24-2007, 07:31 PM
I watched that and I was impressed! I really enjoyed this movie, I especially loved the "rambo" scene at the end

chagrin
06-24-2007, 08:03 PM

Ahh geesh dude, it's a movie, not a documentary. everyone has read the wiki about the inaccuracies; I suppose you don't watch many movies at all, since 100% of the directors/writers take liberties; it's Hollywood for pete's sake. :rolleyes:

Guru
06-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Ahh geesh dude, it's a movie, not a documentary. everyone has read the wiki about the inaccuracies; I suppose you don't watch many movies at all, since 100% of the directors/writers take liberties; it's Hollywood for pete's sake. :rolleyes:
God forbid we watch anything for entertainments sake.

If you want facts watch Discovery or History channels.

FAX
06-24-2007, 08:10 PM
I read somewhere that they didn't have subtitles back in those days, either.

FAX

Logical
06-24-2007, 09:25 PM

Sort of boring if you ask me, violent for violence sake lost my interest quick. So if it is not historically accurate what value does it have?

listopencil
06-24-2007, 09:58 PM
I enjoyed the story on several levels.

Fishpicker
06-24-2007, 09:59 PM
I thought it was a good movie. the sets were really cool and they had alot of unique artwork. the jade jewelry and masks were awesome. there wasnt much for story but I wasnt expecting a whole lot. I wish I had seen this in the theater.

chagrin
06-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Sort of boring if you ask me, violent for violence sake lost my interest quick. So if it is not historically accurate what value does it have?

Well, okay - I watched it and here's what I thought. It was sort of boring, not that I didn't "get it" I was moved by his love for his "wife" and children and desire and passion to return to save them. I was bored with the running after a while.

In my opinion, you guys are over analyzing it. It wasn't supposed to be a historical review of the Mayan civilization; it was advertised as "a story about a man..." not "a historical account of the fall of the Mayan civilation"

That's the problem I think people have with it; I think ya got caught up in the Mel Gibson thing/Passion Of The Christ thing, and this was a different film than that, so you unrealistically expected something that you didn't get.

It was a good film, I think Jaguar Paw played his part very well, and I enjoyed the gladiator type little game there when he escaped.

I saw strong similarities to Braveheart, with the cutting of Flint Sky's throat (actually I was let down by that) and I thought he could have tried alot harder, but it wasn't fully his film anyway. I think the guy who really wrote most of it, wasn't it his first film?
Anyway, it was visually wonderful and I liked it but like I said I agree with you about parts being boring.

I hope I answered your question, the value was in the entertainment, not any historical accuracy.

FAX
06-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Good analysis, Mr. chagrin.

I had mixed feelings about this film. Perhaps it was due to my expectations of an "epic" based on the advertising.

It was good movie-making, in my view. But, it would have been better if there had been more than one plot line. Maybe if, during the eclipse, Jaguar Paw had accidently come into possession of some secret amulet that caused the high priest to lose his powers and, after discovering the loss, the high priest sent guys after the mercs, or body snatchers, or whatever they were, and the high priest's guys thought that Jaguar Paw had great powers due to the amulet and so they decided to side with him at the end, or something like that, would have been cool.

FAX

Nzoner
06-25-2007, 09:50 AM
I read somewhere that they didn't have subtitles back in those days, either.

FAX

Bada Bing

Focker :D

FAX
06-25-2007, 09:52 AM
... Focker :D

Hey! Simmah! Simmah down nah!

FAX

chagrin
06-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Good analysis, Mr. chagrin.

I had mixed feelings about this film. Perhaps it was due to my expectations of an "epic" based on the advertising.

It was good movie-making, in my view. But, it would have been better if there had been more than one plot line. Maybe if, during the eclipse, Jaguar Paw had accidently come into possession of some secret amulet that caused the high priest to lose his powers and, after discovering the loss, the high priest sent guys after the mercs, or body snatchers, or whatever they were, and the high priest's guys thought that Jaguar Paw had great powers due to the amulet and so they decided to side with him at the end, or something like that, would have been cool.

FAX

Yeah, another thing I just recalled - the dude that was sitting down on the throne at the top of the sacrifice temple thingy, him and that whole scene actually reminded me of "the cell".

Frazod
06-25-2007, 10:02 AM
I enjoyed it. It wasn't great, but it was good. Definitely overhyped.

booger
06-25-2007, 10:11 AM
i liked it better than 300.
Anyone know when 300 comes out on DVD?

Frazod
06-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Anyone know when 300 comes out on DVD?

July 31.

booger
06-25-2007, 10:18 AM
July 31.
cool thanks!