PDA

View Full Version : KC STAR - Wild man goes lean and clean (Allen)

Count Zarth
05-27-2007, 12:49 AM
Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen still loves to have a good time, but he has lost weight, hair and alcohol.

By JASON KING
The Kansas City Star

On Halloween he wore a Speedo.

During TV intros he crosses his eyes. Sometimes, after games, the Chiefs’ top pass rusher dresses up like Elvis — the bloated, beer-bellied Elvis — hops into his 1969 powder-blue Caddy and heads out for a night of carousing on the Plaza.

That’s why this doesn’t seem like Jared Allen — or at least not the Jared Allen Chiefs fans know.

Allen has groomed his scraggly whiskers into a well-kept beard. The puffy cheeks that swelled with each trip to the bar have sunken back into form. Squint hard enough as he changes near his locker, and you’ll see a six-pack forming in Allen’s abs.

Someone asks Allen whether he’s shed some weight.

“Fifteen pounds,” he says proudly. “Thanks for noticing.”

Allen has spent the offseason learning jujitsu and kick-boxing. He’s hired a personal trainer and adheres to a strict, high-protein diet. No more pasta. No more potatoes.

No more beer.

“Haven’t had a drink in eight months,” Allen says. “I don’t need any more headaches.”

Neither do the Chiefs, who will be without Allen for the first four games of 2007 because of two DUI convictions. Frustrating as the situation has been, coach Herm Edwards couldn’t have been more pleased with the attitude Allen brought with him to organized team activities last week.

As dependable as he’s been on the field, the carefree Allen finally seems focused off it, too.

“You’ve got to play on the edge to be a great player,” Allen said, “but you don’t have to live on the edge to be one. I’ve always lived and played football the same way. I was playing on the edge and living on the edge.

“Now I can separate work from reality.”

The knee-jerk reaction would be skepticism of Allen’s newfound, mature approach.

The 265-pound Allen signed the one-year tender offer he received as a restricted free agent last week. He knows a strong showing — both on the field and in the community — is pivotal if he has any hopes of receiving a more lucrative contract after the season.

So, yes, Allen is saying and doing all the right things these days. The question is whether it will last.

Allen certainly made believers out of the Chiefs by showing up last week. He initially said he wouldn’t sign the Chiefs’ tender offer until just before training camp, but he changed his mind so he could better himself through on-field work in May and June.

“I’m here to get the rust off and help these young guys get ready for the season,” Allen said. “We’ve got a great team. Someone has to step up. Whether it’s an injury, a suspension or whatever, things happen in football. Someone has to step up. Being a leader on the team, my job is to help get that person ready.”

Judging from his comments, Allen seems more than ready to handle a mentor role. He said his life has changed dramatically since he was arrested for his second DUI eight months ago. The resulting four-game suspension will cost him $552,941.

“You’ve got to pay the piper eventually, right?” Allen said. “It’s all water under the bridge now. That’s the last of it. It’s time to move on.

“There are two ways you can do things in life: You can blame people for holding you back and let someone get the upper hand on you and become what they say you are. Or you can forge forward and use whatever turmoil and adversity has happened in your life and let it drive that to the top.”

Allen said he’s chosen the latter — and it’s not just about giving up drinking.

It’s little things, like going to bed earlier so his workout the next day will be more productive. Or hiring a personal trainer to monitor his exercise and diet. Along with chicken and steak, Allen likes sushi.

“I love my diet,” Allen said. “I’m eating lean, man. Even when I’m out having fun I try to make sure my diet stays clean.

“For me it was all about deciding to do something in life. My hand was forced, sure. It is what it is. I’m a self-driven guy. I started making these changes eight months ago. This is how I live now.”

Allen is hoping his hard work pays off on the field. He led the league in pressures a year ago, but, for him, that’s not good enough. Instead he dwells on the sacks that he narrowly missed, the ones that “slipped through” his hands. If he’d just finished a few of those plays he may have been in Hawaii in February.

“I missed the Pro Bowl again,” Allen said. “I’m trying to get to the Pro Bowl. I’m trying to help our team more, maybe by getting a sack late in the fourth quarter or whatever. There are all sorts of different things running through my mind about how make our team better.”

The only problem is that the Chiefs will have to wait until October to reap the benefits of Allen’s offseason work. As optimistic and bubbly as Allen is now, Edwards said he realizes there could be mood swings during the ensuing months.

“He thinks it’s easy now,” Edwards said, “but when we kick the ball off in Houston and he can’t play … you’re talking about a healthy player that loves to play football. He won’t be able to go out there and help his team win. It’s going to bother him. And it should because he’s a heck of a player who brings a lot of energy to this team. It’s something we’re going to have to help him with.”

Allen insists he’ll be fine, that his positive attitude will help him persevere.

If anything, that’s something Allen hasn’t lost. His approach may be more mature, but deep down he’s still the jokester that may show up in the locker room wearing pajamas, the adventure-seeker who bought an old, beat-up car to use in a makeshift demolition derby in his backyard, the fun-loving guy who’ll buy a drink for everyone at the bar.

Only now, he won’t order one for himself.

“I’m still going out with my friends,” Allen said. “I’m still living my life and having fun. I’m the same guy.”

Except for that tidy, closely cropped haircut, right?

“Actually,” Allen says, “I’m thinking about growing a mullet.”

el borracho
05-27-2007, 12:54 AM
He lost 15 pounds and now weighs 265 or he lost 15 pounds and nows weighs 250?

Count Zarth
05-27-2007, 12:55 AM
Good question...who knows what his weight was last year. There were reports it was up near 275 when the season began.

Sounds like he's going to be absolutely foaming at the mouth for Jacksonville.

SoCalBronco
05-27-2007, 12:56 AM
“Actually,” Allen says, “I’m thinking about growing a mullet.”

Heh. What a surprise.

cdcox
05-27-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm encouraged about the new attitude, but concerned about the weight loss and too much focus on stregth training. If he's down 15 from 270, that is a little too small to hold the line against the run, especially with Donne "Drag 'em down" Edwards backing him up. Also, these workout freaks end up getting injured.

ChiefaRoo
05-27-2007, 01:10 AM
He's too light, cut him.

Direckshun
05-27-2007, 01:45 AM
the adventure-seeker who bought an old, beat-up car to use in a makeshift demolition derby in his backyard,
Holy shit. We should be lucky he's only missing 4 games and not the rest of his life.

ChiefaRoo
05-27-2007, 01:47 AM
Holy shit. We should be lucky he's only missing 4 games and not the rest of his life.

He's a big dumb cowboy but he's our big dumb cowboy. As long as he can figure out that he can't drink all the whiskey in KC he'll be fine. That being said he's not going to do well in celebrity jeopardy.

htismaqe
05-27-2007, 06:07 AM
He's a big dumb cowboy but he's our big dumb cowboy. As long as he can figure out that he can't drink all the whiskey in KC he'll be fine. That being said he's not going to do well in celebrity jeopardy.

Until he gets suspended again for doing something else stupid.

Or gets killed.

Then he's just dumb.

Lzen
05-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Sounds like he's finally realizing that he has to grow up a little. Of course, he could always relapse and go back to his old ways. Hopefully, that does not happen. For now, Jared is saying(and doing) the right things.

Tribal Warfare
05-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Also, these workout freaks end up getting injured.

If" these workout freaks" have any talent they usually have long and prosperous careers. The ones who don't have good offseason workout programs are the ones who get injured

Mr. Laz
05-27-2007, 08:54 AM
hopefully this is a positive sign that won't come to a screeching halt as soon as he gets a new contract.

noa
05-27-2007, 09:10 AM
I never thought he needed to lose weight. Hope it doesn't make it easier to push him around.

Hog Farmer
05-27-2007, 09:17 AM
The first team he faces coming back is gonna have ONE CRUSHED QUARTERBACK!

Mr. Laz
05-27-2007, 09:27 AM
I never thought he needed to lose weight. Hope it doesn't make it easier to push him around.
hopefully he will add the weight back on with muscle instead of beer gut.

Easy 6
05-27-2007, 10:10 AM
No drinks in 8 months, saying things that demonstrate he has a grip on this deal...THATS what i've been waiting to hear, keep up the great work Jared.

Hopefully that huge weight loss wont affect his run stopping too much, i do think it will help him be even greasier coming off the edge on pass downs.

Dark Horse
05-27-2007, 12:03 PM
If all weight was "good weight" these guys would be on an ice cream and doughnut diet. 15 lbs of excess beer and burgers will only make him better . Now its up to the strength and conditioning staff to put some rip on him.

htismaqe
05-27-2007, 12:05 PM
hopefully this is a positive sign that won't come to a screeching halt as soon as he gets a new contract.

IF he gets a new contract.

It's obvious that Jared has done quite a bit of soul searching. It's good that he's well on the road to recovery. And it's great that he's trying to remain positive.

The problem is that he STILL hasn't acknowledged the fact that signing a long-term deal is a RISK for the CHIEFS. To him, it's all in the past and the Chiefs should see it exactly as he does.

Dark Horse
05-27-2007, 12:12 PM
IF he gets a new contract.

It's obvious that Jared has done quite a bit of soul searching. It's good that he's well on the road to recovery. And it's great that he's trying to remain positive.

The problem is that he STILL hasn't acknowledged the fact that signing a long-term deal is a RISK for the CHIEFS. To him, it's all in the past and the Chiefs should see it exactly as he does.

It would not be in Allens best interest to admit he is a risk.

htismaqe
05-27-2007, 12:14 PM
It would not be in Allens best interest to admit he is a risk.

Is it in Allen's best interest to say it's definitely NOT a risk and he's gonna ask for a trade if the Chiefs insist on saying it is?

I know what recovery is like.

If Allen is willing to overlook that minor detail in order to "get paid" he's not gonna be on the wagon long.

Demonpenz
05-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I bet he paces like a caged tiger on friday and saturday nights especially when it's nice out. You know he wants to hit the town.

Dark Horse
05-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Is it in Allen's best interest to say it's definitely NOT a risk and he's gonna ask for a trade if the Chiefs insist on saying it is?

I know what recovery is like.

If Allen is willing to overlook that minor detail in order to "get paid" he's not gonna be on the wagon long.

You are right from the stand point of his recovery but he would be crazy to admit to management that he is at risk to fall off the wagon. If I were him I would be doing just like he is and saying and doing all the right things to try and convince everyone that its behind me.

KurtCobain
05-27-2007, 12:25 PM
WINE 'EM! DINE 'EM! SIXTY-NINE 'EM!

keg in kc
05-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Make it another 7 months and I'll be convinced that JaredUI Allen can at least behave himself during a contract year. God knows what he'll turn into with millions in his pocket. But it would be a first step in the right direction. If he can make it that long.

Frazod
05-27-2007, 12:43 PM
What's that I smell.... damage control?

This idiot's going to have to do more than conjure up a happy-happy-joy-joy story about living right to get back in my good graces after all the shit he's pulled.

SNR
05-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Sounds believable.... NOT!

He's going to play at least 12 more games for us this season. We'll see how his new self has translated onto the field and if he can refrain from late-night parties after a big win or before a game in Pittsburg. If everything goes well, I could see Carl reaching up his butthole for extra dimes to pay Jared, which I wouldn't mind if everything went well this season.