PDA

View Full Version : The brisket just came off the smoker...

Stewie
05-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Looks damn good. I was pressed for time so I cooked it at a little higher temperature than normal. It was on the smoker about 12 hours to get to temp. Juicy as heck (cook's taste test). It's wrapped in foil in the cooler to take for dinner.

Weber Bullet with lump charcoal, apple, and hickory.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Nice, hope it's good!

I've got a pot of jambalaya on the stove right now.

Stewie
05-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Nice, hope it's good!

I've got a pot of jambalaya on the stove right now.

I need to learn how to make jambalaya... among about 100's of other things. It is near the top of my list, though.

Phobia
05-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Jambalaya is easy as long as you don't use brown rice. Heh.

cdcox
05-27-2007, 03:51 PM
We bought a crovac "pork loin fillet" (looks like about half of a normal pork loin) that was flavored with garlic and herbs at the factory. I seared it in my iron skillet to lock in the juices, then threw it on the smoker to bring it up to 160. During that time I basted it with olive oil, garlic, parsley, thyme, rosemary and red wine vinegar. It cooked unbeliveabley fast, so it's resting in foil and a beach towel now while the baked potatoes finish.

All day smoked pork butt tomorrow.

Stewie
05-27-2007, 03:54 PM
We bought a crovac "pork loin fillet" (looks like about half of a normal pork loin) that was flavored with garlic and herbs at the factory.

All day smoked pork butt tomorrow.

I think you bought a pork tenderloin if it's that small.

Pork butt is my all time favorite. It's soooo good and soooo little work.

cdcox
05-27-2007, 04:01 PM
I think you bought a pork tenderloin if it's that small.

Pork butt is my all time favorite. It's soooo good and soooo little work.

I think they want you to think it is a tenderloin. They didn't call it a tenderloin and it doesn't taper like a tenderloin. I think it is just a regular loin split down the middle.

Briskett is my favorite, but I opted for the butt because it's a shorter smoke and easier to do. You are right it is gooooooood.

cdcox
05-27-2007, 05:31 PM
We bought a crovac "pork loin fillet" (looks like about half of a normal pork loin) that was flavored with garlic and herbs at the factory. I seared it in my iron skillet to lock in the juices, then threw it on the smoker to bring it up to 160. During that time I basted it with olive oil, garlic, parsley, thyme, rosemary and red wine vinegar. It cooked unbeliveabley fast, so it's resting in foil and a beach towel now while the baked potatoes finish.

Well, that was disappointing. Dang enhanced meat. I'm just not going to buy any meat from hear on out that has been "enhanced with up to xx% by weight with a solution sodium phosphate and other lame chemicals that destroy the taste and texture of real meat." I specifically checked the butts I'm cooking tomorrow, and there is no enhancement involved. What is wrong with people that they ruin meat in this way? Why do people put up with that crap?

OnTheWarpath58
05-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Jambalaya is easy as long as you don't use brown rice. Heh.

ROFL

You're way too hard on yourself.

BTW, I could use your help over in my "I'm a dumbass and wanted to try something different" BBQ thread.......

OnTheWarpath58
05-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Well, that was disappointing. Dang enhanced meat. I'm just not going to buy any meat from hear on out that has been "enhanced with up to xx% by weight with a solution sodium phosphate and other lame chemicals that destroy the taste and texture of real meat." I specifically checked the butts I'm cooking tomorrow, and there is no enhancement involved. What is wrong with people that they ruin meat in this way? Why do people put up with that crap?

Most people probably don't even know about it.

The so-called enhancements are so dumbasses who overcook their pork aren't eating shoe leather.....

Sorry 'bout your dinner.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-27-2007, 05:48 PM
I used a whole grain brown rice and it tasted great... of course, I half-cooked the rice and added it to the jambalaya later. Just finished a bowl... good shit.

CoMoChief
05-27-2007, 07:29 PM
I just cooked me up some Kraft Mac n cheese with some tuna mixed into it, fried me up some fish sticks an d made me a batch of garlic cheese biscuits (like the ones at Red Lobster) that I got off the web.

Washed it all down with a nice tall glass of cherry burst flavored koolaid.

Good shit.

RJ
05-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Just got back from a cookout where I was the cook. I did all the cooking ahead of time, made a brisket Friday night and 9 racks of baby backs last night. Those of you who told me the ribs would re-heat fine were correct. Just brushed on some sauce and let them glaze a bit.

I grilled/smoked the brisket with hickory, did the ribs with cherry. Good stuff all around.

Phobia
05-27-2007, 10:42 PM
I used a whole grain brown rice and it tasted great... of course, I half-cooked the rice and added it to the jambalaya later. Just finished a bowl... good shit.

Heh, yeah that's a pretty good idea. But I'm not sure I'd half-cook rice. I'm pretty sure that's widely frowned upon by chefs who are familiar with all the starchy scientific processes of rice cooking. I could be wrong. If I were desperate to use brown rice again, I'd probably cook it all the way and then mix it in with a jambalaya roux.

KcMizzou
05-27-2007, 10:53 PM
I just cooked me up some Kraft Mac n cheese with some tuna mixed into it, fried me up some fish sticks an d made me a batch of garlic cheese biscuits (like the ones at Red Lobster) that I got off the web.

Good shit.Ghetto fabulous. LMAO

/I'd eat it.
//and love it.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Heh, yeah that's a pretty good idea. But I'm not sure I'd half-cook rice. I'm pretty sure that's widely frowned upon by chefs who are familiar with all the starchy scientific processes of rice cooking. I could be wrong. If I were desperate to use brown rice again, I'd probably cook it all the way and then mix it in with a jambalaya roux.
I haven't done a lot of jambalaya and haven't seen a lot on Food Network about it, so I don't really know about the starchy scientific processes of rice cooking.

But it tastes good. :thumb:

I did it that way intentionally, though -- thinking along pasta ideas, I wanted the rice to soak up some of the jambalaya flavors, much like cooking pasta in its sauce for the last couple of minutes.

cdcox
05-28-2007, 07:27 AM
I haven't done a lot of jambalaya and haven't seen a lot on Food Network about it, so I don't really know about the starchy scientific processes of rice cooking.

But it tastes good. :thumb:

I did it that way intentionally, though -- thinking along pasta ideas, I wanted the rice to soak up some of the jambalaya flavors, much like cooking pasta in its sauce for the last couple of minutes.

Ever made Risotto? The rice cooks the entire time in its cooking liquid. I've got a mushroom risotto that is just out of this world.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-28-2007, 08:12 AM
No, I haven't, but I've wanted to.

Phobia
05-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Ever made Risotto? The rice cooks the entire time in its cooking liquid. I've got a mushroom risotto that is just out of this world.In trying to prove/disprove my half cooking theory last night I found a Risotto recipe which talked about half cooking the rice. But nothing else.

cdcox
05-28-2007, 09:49 AM
In trying to prove/disprove my half cooking theory last night I found a Risotto recipe which talked about half cooking the rice. But nothing else.

I wouldn't do that with risotto. In that dish, the whole idea is the infuse the rice with the flavor of the cooking liquid, while at the same time using the soluble starch from the rice to thicken the liquid.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-28-2007, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't do that with risotto. In that dish, the whole idea is the infuse the rice with the flavor of the cooking liquid, while at the same time using the soluble starch from the rice to thicken the liquid.
Which is exactly why I put the rice in while the jambalaya was cooking, to infuse the rice with the liquid flavor.

cdcox
05-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Which is exactly why I put the rice in while the jambalaya was cooking, to infuse the rice with the liquid flavor.

So in that case, maybe add the raw rice directly to the jambalaya 20 to 25 min be for its done, along with enough additional liquid to cook the rice? I've never made jambalaya, so I really don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

Phobia
05-28-2007, 10:42 AM
So in that case, maybe add the raw rice directly to the jambalaya 20 to 25 min be for its done, along with enough additional liquid to cook the rice? I've never made jambalaya, so I really don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

The rice is the ingredient which takes longest to cook in jambalaya. Somebody was telling me that he doesn't put rice in his jambalaya on here. I'm no cajun expert, but I spent a decade in Houston and plenty of time consulting in neighboring LA so I think I'm fairly well versed in cajun. Never seen jambalaya without rice....

RJ
05-28-2007, 12:16 PM
The rice is the ingredient which takes longest to cook in jambalaya. Somebody was telling me that he doesn't put rice in his jambalaya on here. I'm no cajun expert, but I spent a decade in Houston and plenty of time consulting in neighboring LA so I think I'm fairly well versed in cajun. Never seen jambalaya without rice....

Some cook the rice in the jambalaya, some on the side. If I were using brown rice I'd likely do it on the side because of the time involved with the brown rice.

But since half of cooking is trial and error you've probably found a solution by now.

And no, I've never seen the dish served without rice either.

RJ
05-28-2007, 12:20 PM

Good shit.

Dude, that's quite a feast. All you're missing is a can of cream of mushroom to make a gravy for those biscuits.

And of course, it should be finished off with a couple of Little Debbies topped with Cool Whip.......use the real Cool Whip, not that fake stuff.

Simply Red
05-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Looks damn good. I was pressed for time so I cooked it at a little higher temperature than normal. It was on the smoker about 12 hours to get to temp. Juicy as heck (cook's taste test). It's wrapped in foil in the cooler to take for dinner.

Weber Bullet with lump charcoal, apple, and hickory.
Nice Stewie. My Step-Father is bringing over ribs which were smoked w/ a mesquite, hickory blend. Can't wait...

Predarat
05-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Im a begginer at BBQ but I had a go at some Brisket today and its just about done. Ummm good!!