PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Experts: Question about smoking ribs

OnTheWarpath15
05-27-2007, 05:31 PM
I could use a little help from the 'Que experts here on the Planet.....

Normally, I smoke spareribs, 4-5 hours at about 225.

I decided to try loin backs this time, and I'm reading recipes that say they only need to be smoked for 2-3 hours.

I have 2 racks at about 2.5 pounds per rack.

Suggestions?

My first thought is that these are quite a bit bigger than "baby back" racks, so I'd guess the smoking time would be closer to 3.5-4 hours at 200-225.

Another dumb question......

Anyone ever soak hickory chips in apple cider? If so, how did you like it?

TIA

cdcox
05-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Loin back ribs = baby back ribs.

I use something like 2-2-1 on these: two hours on the smoker as normal; two hrs wrapped in foil with brown sugar, honey, and apple juice; and one hour back on the regular smoker, during which time I glaze them with sauce.

As far as soaking the chips, I doubt you will be able to tell the difference between soaking in apple cider and water. It certainly won't hurt anything to use cider.

unlurking
05-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Loin back ribs = baby back ribs.

I use something like 2-2-1 on these: two hours on the smoker as normal; two hrs wrapped in foil with brown sugar, honey, and apple juice; and one hour back on the regular smoker, during which time I glaze them with sauce.

As far as soaking the chips, I doubt you will be able to tell the difference between soaking in apple cider and water. It certainly won't hurt anything to use cider.
Care to detail the recipe a little more? Never done ribs yet.

Demonpenz
05-27-2007, 05:44 PM
boil em

Fire Me Boy!
05-27-2007, 05:50 PM
boil em
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fire Me Boy!
05-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I'd go about 3 hours, then check 'em. I say screw the temperature. Give it the pull test. Grab two ribs toward the center of the rack, and pull in opposite directions. You want them to separate with a LITTLE resistance.

Demonpenz
05-27-2007, 05:54 PM
i boil them then throw em on the grill

Fire Me Boy!
05-27-2007, 06:02 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cdcox
05-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Care to detail the recipe a little more? Never done ribs yet.

I still developing my rib technique, so you might want to get advice for those who are a little further down the path to nrivana, like Phobia of htis. But here goes:

Buy baby backs or pork spare ribs. AVOID ENHANCED MEAT. Remove the memebrane and trim them according to this link:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/ribselect1.html

The night before, I put a thin coat of plain yellow mustard on the ribs, then my rub. My rub varies every time, but I try to limit the salt to no more than 1/4 of the total volume of rub. I typically use more paprika than anything else For ribs, I'll leave the sugar out of the rub.

The day of the smoke, pull the ribs out of the fridge and let them come to room temp while you are building the fire. Build the fire to 225 to 250 at the grill level. Use your favorite wood for smoke flavor. Smoke for about 2 hours for baby backs, about 3 for spare ribs. Modulate the amount of smoke to match your preferences. Hickory or misquite can get a little harsh, so be careful with those woods.

After a couple hours, take a large sheet of heavy duty foil (enough to wrap your rack) and coat it with brown sugar and honey. Lay the meat side down on top of this. Add 2-3 oz of apple juice or other liquid of choice (beer would work). Wrap tiightly. Wrap with another layer of foil. Put back on the smoker meat side down for another 2 hours at the same temp as before. Here you are basically braising the rib meat to make it very tender. After this period, check to see if the ribs are done. They should be pulling back from the bone a bit, and be tender enough to pull two ribs a part with your fingers. You basically want the meat done at this point.

Unwrap the ribs. Mix the liquid from the foil with your finishing sauce. Put the ribs back on the smoker for about an hour at the same temp. You are trying to dry them out a bit now. The last 20 - 30 minutes glaze with the finishing sauce.

Last time I did them this way they were very good, but not great: two changes I'll make are NO ENHANCED MEAT and leaving them in the foil a little while longer. Some of them could have been a bit more tender.

IMO, ribs are one of the hardest meats to master. Good luck.

Bwana
05-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Just finished my batch of smoked boneless ribs, tasty!

Fire Me Boy!
05-27-2007, 06:17 PM
IMO, ribs are one of the hardest meats to master. Good luck.
I think ribs are pretty easy. I'm pretty good at a brisket, but I had a hell of a time getting good at it.

I still suck at chickens... it doesn't help that I never cook them, so I rarely try to improve.

cdcox
05-27-2007, 06:34 PM
I think ribs are pretty easy. I'm pretty good at a brisket, but I had a hell of a time getting good at it.

I still suck at chickens... it doesn't help that I never cook them, so I rarely try to improve.

The first brisket I made was decent, and they've gotten better since then. Definitely harder to do than a butt, but mostly due to the length of the smoke and managing to get the point done without drying out the flat. I'm not big on chickens either. I'll try one again sometime this year, probably, but to me, there are better meats to smoke and better ways to fix chicken.

KC Jones
05-27-2007, 06:38 PM

disgusting... the only way they taste even half way decent after boiling is if you drown them in sauce. Boiling makes them tender, and loses any chance of having a decent taste.

I'm no expert, but my ribs usually turn out really well. My preferences are:

dry rub (mostly paprika, dry hot mustard, bay leaf, bit of salt, some red pepper, bit of brown sugar and whatever else I might add a dash of on a whim)
4-6 hours at 200-225 (I use a meat thermometer to make sure I get them to 165 internally)

I don't put sauce on them at all... I expect the rub and the smoking to add all the flavor that's needed (but I do but some sauce on the table in case anyone wants it)
I have yet to try the mustard preparation before the rub, but I've never had trouble with my rub sticking. Others swear by this.
Always peel the membrane off before smoking.
if you feel compelled to boil your ribs, you should just get a can of dog food, microwave it, and then cover it in BBQ sauce instead.

KC Jones
05-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Anyone done an all night roast?

It's on my list, but somehow the idea of getting up all night to check the smoker has kept me away.

OnTheWarpath15
05-27-2007, 07:22 PM
I think this is the route I'm gonna take:

Brine for an hour or so in the morning. Bring to room temp and apply the rub.

Brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper.

Take cdcox's suggestion of 2-2-1. Probably put some apple cider in a spray bottle and give them a squirt every 30 minutes for the 2 hours before the foil.

Fire Me Boy!
05-27-2007, 07:24 PM
disgusting... the only way they taste even half way decent after boiling is if you drown them in sauce. Boiling makes them tender, and loses any chance of having a decent taste.

I'm no expert, but my ribs usually turn out really well. My preferences are:

dry rub (mostly paprika, dry hot mustard, bay leaf, bit of salt, some red pepper, bit of brown sugar and whatever else I might add a dash of on a whim)
4-6 hours at 200-225 (I use a meat thermometer to make sure I get them to 165 internally)

I don't put sauce on them at all... I expect the rub and the smoking to add all the flavor that's needed (but I do but some sauce on the table in case anyone wants it)
I have yet to try the mustard preparation before the rub, but I've never had trouble with my rub sticking. Others swear by this.
Always peel the membrane off before smoking.
if you feel compelled to boil your ribs, you should just get a can of dog food, microwave it, and then cover it in BBQ sauce instead.
The mustard isn't to make the rub stick, the vinegar in it helps break down the connective tissue, making for more tender meat. Also adds a VERY subtle tang to the flavor.

Fire Me Boy!
05-27-2007, 07:25 PM

Brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper.

Take cdcox's suggestion of 2-2-1. Probably put some apple cider in a spray bottle and give them a squirt every 30 minutes for the 2 hours before the foil.
The sugar is very nice on ribs. Don't use it on something that takes a long time, though... briskets, butts, etc. the sugar will burn. NOT good eats.

Fire Me Boy!
05-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Next time I smoke something, I'm going to try the "championship" sauce of KC Masterpiece original and honey.

I think it was htis that said this was a "secret" sauce that was used in a lot of BBQ competition circles.

I've got the sauce and the honey here, just ready for me to smoke something.

cdcox
05-27-2007, 07:47 PM
The sugar is very nice on ribs. Don't use it on something that takes a long time, though... briskets, butts, etc. the sugar will burn. NOT good eats.

I use a little turbino sugar on butts. Won't burn. Not on briskets though, just becuase the sweet goes good with pork, but I don't care for it with beef.

htismaqe
05-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Most every technique I like has already been mentioned.

1) Mustard, then rub. The vinegar in the mustard is a tenderizer.

2) Rubs with sugar for quicker cuts like ribs or chicken. Rubs without sugar for long cooking meats like large pork roasts or brisket. Sugar will burn and you don't want black meat.

Slick32
05-27-2007, 08:19 PM
I always have had problems keeping them lit and they are a little harsh.

I know it's old, but someone was going to say it sooner or later.

SBK
05-27-2007, 08:35 PM
For good ribs don't use sugar, or boil them.

For good chicken, find a beer can chicken recipe. Those are the best and juiciest chickens you'll ever eat.

the Talking Can
05-27-2007, 09:21 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm....just mustard-ed and rubbed up my ribs...ready for tomorrow...

hadn't used the mustard before, good idea...

Phobia
05-27-2007, 10:32 PM
I don't really follow anybody elses ideas, FWIW but my technique is no secret. It does vary slightly from what has been posted thus far.

I always brine my ribs from 4-36 hours. I can't tell the difference in a rack that's been brined 36 hours from one that has been brined 4 - it's generally a timing thing for me. I know I'm going to smoke up some ribs when I get around to it and sometimes I end up doing it later rather than sooner. Brines don't have to be complicated, most of the time salt and water will do but I alway put plenty of cider vinegar in my brine.

I do my rub first (or sometimes not at all) and then coat with mustard.

I also smoked mine on a little bit lower temp than everybody else - closer to 200 than 250. My ribs wouldn't do well in competition because apparently "jerky" texture isn't desirable. It is in my house. I'm not trying to be boastful, but I've frequently heard "these are the best ribs I've ever had". I don't think I do anything special but I don't vary my technique much these days. My rubs vary the most. I like to experiment around with the rub.

Stewie
05-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Anyone done an all night roast?

It's on my list, but somehow the idea of getting up all night to check the smoker has kept me away.

I normally do for brisket. A good smoker is essential or you'll never get any sleep. For small quantities I use a Weber Bullet because it can maintain a constant temperature for several hours and I can sleep.

ExtremeChief
05-28-2007, 10:04 AM
I wish I had read this yesterday, before I did mine. the taste was phenomenal, but the tenderness wasn't. I've been able to cook everything with great success on my Traeger, except ribs. I'll know next time I guess. :banghead:

mlyonsd
05-28-2007, 11:16 AM
I wish I had read this yesterday, before I did mine. the taste was phenomenal, but the tenderness wasn't. I've been able to cook everything with great success on my Traeger, except ribs. I'll know next time I guess. :banghead:

Something that will always assure fall off the bone ribs is to at some point in the process wrap them in foil and put them back on the smoker for a couple hours. This technique steams the tissue fibers so the non meat fibers break down and help moisten the meat.

I have my own rub recipe which I apply the night before.

I smoke them for 4 hours without taking off the lid. Temperature is about 200. I like pecan wood but everybody has their own preference.

Then I take them off the smoker and wrap to half racks together in foil. I apply a little homemade BBQ sauce at that time. I then put them back in the smoker for at least two hours. This is the steaming part. At the end of the two hours they should be falling off the bone.

You can either baste them with more BBQ sauce or not, your choice. But I like to baste them with the sauce and grill them for a couple minutes over high heat on the grill. I do this because I like mine a little carmalized.

Pork ribs rock.

Phobia
05-28-2007, 11:20 AM
To this day I've no idea why we were unable to organize a charitable BBQ cookoff amongst Chiefs fans. That still blows my mind.

mlyonsd
05-28-2007, 11:21 AM
To this day I've no idea why we were unable to organize a charitable BBQ cookoff amongst Chiefs fans. That still blows my mind.

Yea, my bro and I feel bad about that. Might have been because it was us that were trying to put it together.

We're both pricks.

cdcox
05-28-2007, 11:21 AM

Hold it in East TN and I'm there.

Phobia
05-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Yea, my bro and I feel bad about that. Might have been because it was us that were trying to put it together.

We're both pricks.

Nah, it doesn't have anything to do with you guys - or me. It was just a timing and marketing thing, I guess. I didn't think we'd have any trouble finding "competitors".

But I agree, you guys are pricks. At least a little bit. Heh.

Fire Me Boy!
05-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I'd enter... I don't think I was around the last time (or maybe I hadn't gotten into smoking yet).

mlyonsd
05-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Nah, it doesn't have anything to do with you guys - or me. It was just a timing and marketing thing, I guess. I didn't think we'd have any trouble finding "competitors".

But I agree, you guys are pricks. At least a little bit. Heh.

Well, the good thing for you is it didn't happen. My BBQ would have made yours look like a McDonald McrRibb. :p

Phobia
05-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Well, the good thing for you is it didn't happen. My BBQ would have made yours look like a McDonald McrRibb. :p

If I had all the revenue generated from the sale of the McRib in this country, I guess I could probably handle that.

Blair Thomas
05-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Never been so hungry in my life after reading this thread.

It's a keeper, I'm going to check back on this when I can get more than 750 sq. feet and the time to grill!

OnTheWarpath15
05-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Just put 'em in foil with brown sugar, honey and apple juice.

I'll report the results later tonight.

Thanks to everyone for their input/suggestions.

RJ
05-28-2007, 12:17 PM

I've never brined ribs, but would you want to have salt in your rub after soaking them in a salt solution?

Other than that your plan sounds good.

BTW, I've been using cherry wood chips for ribs, it's a nice flavor and doesn't overpower the meat.

OnTheWarpath15
05-28-2007, 12:22 PM
I've never brined ribs, but would you want to have salt in your rub after soaking them in a salt solution?

Other than that your plan sounds good.

BTW, I've been using cherry wood chips for ribs, it's a nice flavor and doesn't overpower the meat.

I go pretty light on salt in my rubs regardless of whether I brine or not.

My next batch is getting smoked with cherry. Hickory chips were the only kind I had around.

Of course, if SOMEONE wanted to mail a large envelope full of apple chunks/chips, it wouldbe greatly appreciated.....

:p

the Talking Can
05-28-2007, 01:57 PM
just wrapped mine in foil and put in the oven at 225....3-4hrs...char on gas range top with a bit of sauce, mmm...

I'd don't have any room for a grill/smoker.

Fire Me Boy!
06-15-2007, 09:57 AM
How long for baby back ribs? I don't normally do them, preferring to go for spare ribs. But I've got family coming into town tomorrow and they prefer baby backs. So I'm smoking baby backs tomorrow.

Three hours? Is that overdoing it? My spare ribs normally take about 4 hours.

cdcox
06-15-2007, 10:07 AM
How long for baby back ribs? I don't normally do them, preferring to go for spare ribs. But I've got family coming into town tomorrow and they prefer baby backs. So I'm smoking baby backs tomorrow.

Three hours? Is that overdoing it? My spare ribs normally take about 4 hours.

That sounds about right for planning purposes. Smoke 'em till they're done: meat pulling back from bone, etc.

Stewie
06-15-2007, 10:10 AM
I do baby backs for about three hours at 225. I then turn the heat up to about 250-260, turn the ribs, and go about another hour.

Fire Me Boy!
06-15-2007, 10:13 AM
That sounds about right for planning purposes. Smoke 'em till they're done: meat pulling back from bone, etc.
Knowing when they're done isn't a problem. This is planning purposes only.

Lzen
06-15-2007, 10:49 AM
The Surgeon General warns that smoking ribs can cause lung cancer.

But you will probably drown first from the bbq sauce in your lungs.

MOhillbilly
06-15-2007, 10:54 AM
i do ribs probably once a week. i start my fire, let it get right, put abit of hot sauce on the ribs and smoke for 2.5-3 hours.