PDA

View Full Version : Rudy to Get The Harriet Miers Treatment

jAZ
05-27-2007, 08:40 PM
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/2007/05/rudy_to_get_the.html?tr=y&auid=2716596

May 23, 2007
Rudy to Get The Harriet Miers Treatment
Back in 2005, when Harriet Miers was humiliated and forced to withdraw her nomination to the Supreme Court, the Republican Party’s right-wing base was largely responsible. Having torpedoed their own president’s nominee for being insufficiently zealous regarding their social and legal agenda, the Right forced President Bush to send them someone whose ideological commitment could not be doubted, which he did by nominating Samuel Alito.

In the face of what, initially, seemed insurmountable odds, the Right mobilized and managed to torpedo Miers’ nomination in just under a month, achieving arguably their single most significant political triumph of the entire Bush presidency to date.

Now, heading into 2008, the Right is facing what some of them see as an even more ominous threat: the prospect that Rudy Giuliani could win the GOP presidential nomination. And just as they did with Miers, right-wing activists - especially anti-choice Catholic ones – are gearing up to launch an all-out attack in an effort to deny Giuliani the nomination:

Fidelis America, the political-action committee of Fidelis, is arguably the best-established of the anti-Rudy organizations, and it’s certainly the most open about its overall strategy. A Michigan-based Catholic organization cleverly designed to navigate the tangle of federal campaign-spending restrictions, the group’s various arms have been registered as political-action committees, independent-expenditure committees and nonprofits.

The organization, whose executive director previously headed the Ave Maria List, a nonprofit political entity founded by Domino’s Pizza magnate Thomas Monaghan, is perhaps best known for alleging bias when CNN refused to run one of their issue ads featuring Mother Teresa, but later ran a spot by the pro-choice group NARAL. Fidelis promptly launched an e-mail campaign that crashed the network’s servers within hours.

Fidelis also claims credit for spearheading the development of WithdrawMiers.org, a site that registered more than two million hits during the ideologically moderate former White House counsel’s failed bid for a Supreme Court slot.

Mr. Cella says that the organization will try to provide a comprehensive, Web-based “clearinghouse” of issue-based opposition research, and that it will also engage in the distribution of more traditional negative literature, as when the group recruited a handful of volunteers to network and pass out its anti-Rudy materials at the South Carolina debate earlier this month.

A separate effort from another group of Catholic activists—to operate under the admirably straightforward title of Catholics Against Rudy—will also take aim at Mr. Giuliani’s record on social issues. It’s the brainchild of Georgia lawyer Steve Dillard, best known as the formerly anonymous voice of Southern Appeal, a conservative Catholic legal blog that drew a wide-ranging, fiercely loyal audience until Mr. Dillard outed himself and subsequently retired the site five months ago.

Mr. Dillard, along with other bloggers, commentators and activists who are planning to participate in the effort, are modeling their project on the headline-grabbing Catholics Against Kerry site that targeted the Democratic nominee three years ago. (Organizers say that none of the individuals involved in that operation are principals in the new effort.)

“It’s not a vast right-wing conspiracy,” said Mr. Dillard, “but if you’re active on these issues, you build up networks of people who share your concerns, who are very involved, and who have very significant followings. These aren’t just ‘likely voters’—these are very serious, die-hard activists. And they all have readers and supporters.”

Though there has been a steady stream of grumbling from the Right about Giuliani to date, these two initiatives appear to be the first concerted efforts any activists have made to actually try and weaken his campaign chances.

While some on the right are hedging their bets, and even praising Giuliani for his pledge to appoint “strict constructionist” Supreme Court justices, that argument isn’t working with these fervently anti-choice activists.

Considering that both Fidelis and Dillard were instrumental in the successful take-down of Harriet Miers, it looks as if Giuliani’s campaign is about to have quite a fight on its hands.

wazu
05-27-2007, 08:52 PM
He does actually look kind of like Harriet Miers when he wears a dress.

trndobrd
05-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Wow. There is some revisionist history. When did the right-wing torpedo Meirs because she was too left leaning? All manner and persuasion of politicians were against her nomination. Democrats where howling that her nomination was an exercise in Bush cronyism, Republicans didn't like her lack of judicial experience, and Judiciary Committee members were unimpressed with her one-on-one meetings.

There is no doubt that the far-right are going to go after Guiliani, but to formulate a term like "Meirs Treatment" is laughable.

Logical
05-27-2007, 09:28 PM
I am with trndobrd, I don't remember her being ousted due to not being conservative enough.

Taco John
05-27-2007, 10:26 PM
You guys missed the point.

jAZ
05-27-2007, 10:38 PM
While Taco maybe right about the point, I think you guys missed history as well.

She was opposed by the left as being an unqualified croney. But she was very much opposed by the right for being too liberal. Or more precisely, not demonstrably conservative enough.

jAZ
05-27-2007, 10:50 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/24/AR2005102401744.html

Conservatives Escalate Opposition to Miers
Web Sites and Ad Campaign Seek Nominee's Withdrawal

By Michael A. Fletcher and Charles Babington
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, October 25, 2005; Page A02

Conservative activists intensified their opposition to the Supreme Court nomination of Harriet Miers yesterday, launching two Web sites and planning radio and television advertising aimed at forcing her withdrawal.

The advocacy groups, which had expected to use their vast mailing lists and fundraising networks to support President Bush's Supreme Court nominees, instead are employing those tools to sow concern about Miers's conservative credentials and lack of judicial experience among their constituents outside Washington.

The public effort against Miers is supported by a wide range of well-known conservative figures and organizations, whose individual misgivings about the nomination have now coalesced into a coordinated effort to derail it.

tiptap
05-28-2007, 06:56 AM
Wow. There is some revisionist history. When did the right-wing torpedo Meirs because she was too left leaning? All manner and persuasion of politicians were against her nomination. Democrats where howling that her nomination was an exercise in Bush cronyism, Republicans didn't like her lack of judicial experience, and Judiciary Committee members were unimpressed with her one-on-one meetings.

There is no doubt that the far-right are going to go after Guiliani, but to formulate a term like "Meirs Treatment" is laughable.

The left was going to try and stop the Meirs selection (they were in the minority) but they realized the extreme right was against her (she's a women and might be sympathetic to abortions) and the Left stepped back and let the right torpedo the selection. That got the left the two additions that have change the character of the court. But it was the right that got Meirs and not the Democrats.

Adept Havelock
05-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Ha. Looks like there's been a "purge" of Rudy supporters over at Free Republic. Such tolerant folks...they remind me of meme and her ilk at DU. So much for the "marketplace of ideas". ROFL ROFL

I guess the purge is because Rudy's conservative credentials are so impressive they are too far to the right for the freepers? :p

http://www.observer.com/2007/free-republic-purge-conservative-web-site-bans-giuliani-supporters

recxjake
05-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Ha. Looks like there's been a "purge" of Rudy supporters over at Free Republic. Such tolerant folks...they remind me of meme and her ilk. ROFL ROFL

I guess the purge is because Rudy's conservative credentials are so impressive they are too far to the right for the freepers? :p

http://www.observer.com/2007/free-republic-purge-conservative-web-site-bans-giuliani-supporters

Free Republic.... Ban.... hmm.... Oxymoron?

I respect Rudy more for not pandering to the extreme base and flipping on all his issues just to get elected.... (Mitt Romney)....

Adept Havelock
05-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Free Republic.... Ban.... hmm.... Oxymoron?

I respect Rudy more for not pandering to the extreme base and flipping on all his issues just to get elected.... (Mitt Romney)....

I'm sure you do. After all, you couldn't spread your legs any wider for him.

Curious to see how the campaign responds to what seems to be a serious disconnect between Rudillary and one of the GOP's strongest netroots. It's like DU renouncing Hillary.

Granted, they've lost some mojo since Drudge, etc. left.

Vegas_Dave
05-28-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm sure you do. After all, you couldn't spread your legs any wider for him.

ROFL

jAZ
05-28-2007, 10:19 AM
He flipped and flipped back because it wasn't going to work for him at the polls.

HolmeZz
05-28-2007, 10:22 AM
It's funny to hear Jake talk about people not being consistent on the issues when he's gone from backing George Allen to now Giuliani.

trndobrd
05-28-2007, 10:22 AM
The left was going to try and stop the Meirs selection (they were in the minority) but they realized the extreme right was against her (she's a women and might be sympathetic to abortions) and the Left stepped back and let the right torpedo the selection. That got the left the two additions that have change the character of the court. But it was the right that got Meirs and not the Democrats.

Meirs nomination was torpedoed when she had one-on-one interviews with members of the Judiciary Committee.

Amnorix
05-29-2007, 07:50 AM
I am with trndobrd, I don't remember her being ousted due to not being conservative enough.

I recently read a book about the Supreme Court appointments since the Reagan era. Great book btw.

The Right Wing Republicans definitely torpedoed her.

She was also just not well qualified in THIS day and age to be a SC candidate. It used to be any very good lawyer could be appointed. Now, you MUST be a black belt expert in Constitutional law. Nothing else matters. For the first 225 years of our country, this wasn't true, but it is now. Otherwise, you get killed in the hearings for being a clueless moron.

Cochise
05-29-2007, 08:31 AM
Rudy torpedoed himself.

Amnorix
05-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Meirs nomination was torpedoed when she had one-on-one interviews with members of the Judiciary Committee.

Yes, that was part of it. There was more to it however, than just that.

Ugly Duck
05-29-2007, 09:29 AM
right-wing activists are gearing up to launch an all-out attack in an effort to deny Giuliani the nomination

Dang! A Rudy nomination would be just too good for the left to be true. There's got to be a way for the left to salvage his nomination.... how about a campaign where we encourage Dems everywhere to vote for Rudy in the Republican primaries? Does one have to be a Republican to vote in their primaries?