PDA

View Full Version : Team cancer to receive Inspiration To Youth award.

Direckshun
05-27-2007, 10:11 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/05/25/larry_johnson_to_receive_inspiration_to_youth_award_at_pop_warners_47th_annual_allamerican_scholar_b anquet/

LARRY JOHNSON TO RECEIVE INSPIRATION TO YOUTH AWARD AT POP WARNER'S 47TH ANNUAL ALL-AMERICAN SCHOLAR BANQUET
May 25, 2007, 11:52:40 AM

Kansas City Chiefs Pro Bowl RB Larry Johnson will be awarded with the Glen S. Pop Warner Inspiration to Youth Award by Pop Warner Little Scholars, Inc. (PWLS). That organization is the largest national youth football and cheerleading organization in the United States with more than 400,000 participants worldwide. Johnson will receive the award on Saturday night at the 47th Annual Pop Warner Scholar All-American Banquet in Anaheim, CA.

The banquet honors the most academically advanced student-athletes from the Pop Warner program, as well as several individuals and public figures for their commitment to academics, athletics, community and the betterment of young people across America.

Johnson will receive the Glen S. Pop Warner Inspiration To Youth Award not only for his commitment to playing the game right, but for what he does off-the-field in the community through “LJ’s Legacy and Growth Youth Foundation,” in recognition of his work with the NFL’s Junior Player Development Program and his commitment to promote academics through the 2.7 GPA program in Kansas City schools.

“Larry’s commitment to sportsmanship and his dedication to both his team and the surrounding community truly make him stand out as an inspiration to youth,” said Jon Butler, Executive Director, Pop Warner. “Through his actions, Johnson leads by example and is a role model for today’s youth,” he continued.

Johnson set a single-season franchise record for rushing yards in just nine starts in 2005 and followed that up with a remarkable 2006 campaign. Starting all 16 games a year ago, Johnson broke his own club record with 1,789 rushing yards and posted an NFL single-season record 416 carries, breaking the previous mark established by Atlanta RB Jamal Anderson (410) in ‘98. Johnson joins L.A. Rams Hall of Fame running back Eric Dickerson (’83-84) and Denver running back Terrell Davis (’97-98) as only the third player in NFL history to produce 1,750 or more rushing yards in back-to-back seasons.

“This is a great award that I am very thankful and honored to receive. Pop Warner has been a big part of my life ever since I started playing football. I had heard of the award before and this is a great recognition that I am very proud of,” said Johnson.

Johnson established the “LJ’s Legacy & Growth Foundation” in 2005 as a result of his previous work with at-risk middle school students. There are several activities that the Penn State alum has backed in an attempt to touch the underprivileged of Kansas City. He has spent time with the Kansas City, Missouri School District, as a local representative for the NFL’s Junior Player Development Program, and worked with charitable organizations such as ReSTART.

Johnson joins a list of NFL greats and becomes the third Kansas City Chiefs player to receive the Inspiration to Youth Award including, Kansas City Chiefs RB Priest Holmes (2002) and LB Derrick Thomas (1997).

Douche Baggins
05-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Sweet. All the haters can lick my sweaty nut sack.

Direckshun
05-27-2007, 10:14 PM
The guy's a locker room cancer.

He definitely hates being in Kansas City.

luv
05-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Does nearly every NFL player start a charitable organization?

Douche Baggins
05-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Johnson joins L.A. Rams Hall of Fame running back Eric Dickerson (’83-84) and Denver running back Terrell Davis (’97-98) as only the third player in NFL history to produce 1,750 or more rushing yards in back-to-back seasons.

BTW, I did not know this. If he breaks off another 1,750 yards in the NFL's ass next year there will be no doubt as to his greatness.

pr_capone
05-28-2007, 12:23 AM
Sweet. All the haters can lick my sweaty nut sack.

Can they bite your ass too?

SPchief
05-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Can they bite your ass too?

Are requesting this?

KurtCobain
05-28-2007, 12:27 AM

It's either do that or sell 'roids in the locker room.

Discuss Thrower
05-28-2007, 01:03 AM
Sadly, my first thought when reading this was, "Trent Green got an award huh?"

SNR
05-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Larry Johnson doesn't care about black people

the Talking Can
05-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Larry Johnson is so upset about Trent Green that he doesn't have the heart to use his brand new Playstation.

Phobia
05-28-2007, 11:04 AM
These awards are great. It means LJ donated plenty of time, effort, and money to a worthy cause. None of those things make you a great person or a good teammate but it helps. Good for LJ.

wazu
05-28-2007, 11:34 AM

I believe the Chiefs actually do require it of all players as part of the "communty involvement" portion of their jobs. What's great is to see how many players really embrace it and become passionate about it rather than approaching it as a mere obligation.

pr_capone
05-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Are requesting this?

Nah, what I quoted from GC is from Adam Sandler.... I was just finishing it up for him.

SNR
05-28-2007, 01:53 PM
I believe the Chiefs actually do require it of all players as part of the "communty involvement" portion of their jobs. What's great is to see how many players really embrace it and become passionate about it rather than approaching it as a mere obligation.So what did Ryan Sims do? Take a van of kids to McDonald's a few times?

wazu
05-28-2007, 06:41 PM
So what did Ryan Sims do? Take a van of kids to McDonald's a few times?

No idea, but I'll bet you that a "Ryan Sims Foundation" or something actually does/did exist in some form.

the Talking Can
05-28-2007, 07:03 PM
So what did Ryan Sims do? Take a van of kids to McDonald's a few times?

He bought donuts and ate them in front of the kids.

Taught them patience and that life is really really really ****ing unfair.