PDA

View Full Version : Fox News calls Moore's Sicko "brilliant and uplifiting?!?"

Pitt Gorilla
05-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Did they fire Friedman yet? :p

'Sicko' Shows Michael Moore's Maturity as a Filmmaker

Sunday , May 20, 2007
By Roger Friedman

Filmmaker Michael Moore's brilliant and uplifting new documentary, "Sicko," deals with the failings of the U.S. healthcare system, both real and perceived. But this time around, the controversial documentarian seems to be letting the subject matter do the talking, and in the process shows a new maturity.

Unlike many of his previous films ("Roger and Me," "Bowling for Columbine," "Fahrenheit 9-11"), "Sicko" works because in this one there are no confrontations. Moore smartly lets very articulate average Americans tell their personal horror stories at the hands of insurance companies. The film never talks down or baits the audience.

"This film is a call to action," Moore said at a press conference on Saturday. "It's also not a partisan film."

Indeed, in "Sicko," Moore criticizes both Democrats and Republicans for their inaction and in some cases their willingness to be bribed by pharmaceutical companies and insurance carriers.

In a key moment in the film, Moore takes a group of patients by boat to the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba because of its outstanding medical care. When they can't get into the U.S. naval base, Moore proceeds onto Havana where the patients are treated well and cheaply.

This has caused a great deal of controversy, with the federal government launching an investigation into the trip, which officials say was in violation of the trade and commerce embargo against the Communist country.

"This administration flaunts the law, flaunts the constitution," Moore said at the press conference, explaining the flap over the trip to Cuba.

Moore now claims the U.S. government says his Cuban footage may be illegal, and Moore said he made a second master copy of "Sicko" and had it shipped it to France immediately just in case of potential government issues.

Logical
05-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Like I said when I heard the subject, this does not seem to be a partisan effort. Unfortunately the Bush administration is going to turn it into one.

Direckshun
05-28-2007, 12:01 AM
The Bush administration doesn't have to do anything to react to this film.

America's already decided on Moore. Very few have no opinion on him, and those people aren't the folks who will be seeing his movie.

KurtCobain
05-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Moore needs to lose weight before I pay to watch this movie.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Moore needs to lose weight before I pay to watch this movie.

He lost a substantial amount of weight. If you actually chose to read anything on that, you'd know that.

KurtCobain
05-28-2007, 01:23 AM
He lost a substantial amount of weight. If you actually chose to read anything on that, you'd know that.

Well, I've been told.

Baby Lee
05-28-2007, 05:37 AM
This unpossible!! Teh Red states hates teh blue states!! General state of alarm!! BLPD!! Boot in yer' ass!! Rosie! Teh French!! Fred Phelps!!!

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-28-2007, 11:29 AM
The bigger question here will be whether it incites the public to argue for changes within a ridiculous health care system, and how traditional conservatives will try and demonize that push.

BigMeatballDave
05-28-2007, 11:12 PM
EVERYONE in DC is too blame for the poor state of healthcare in this country. Along with Clinton, Bush 1, and Reagan. Our lawmakers have failed miserablely.

BigMeatballDave
05-28-2007, 11:13 PM
The Bush administration doesn't have to do anything to react to this film.

America's already decided on Moore. Very few have no opinion on him, and those people aren't the folks who will be seeing his movie.I didnt care for his other stuff, but I wanna see this...

BigMeatballDave
05-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Moore needs to lose weight before I pay to watch this movie.Like that ****ing matters.
:spock:

Logical
05-28-2007, 11:15 PM
EVERYONE in DC is too blame for the poor state of healthcare in this country. Along with Clinton, Bush 1, and Reagan. Our lawmakers have failed miserablely.

LOL I misread this and thought you meant all of us in this forum.

BigMeatballDave
05-28-2007, 11:17 PM
LOL I misread this and thought you meant all of us in this forum.Yes, Jim! Damnit, its all your fault!
ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Like that ****ing matters.
:spock:

It's not even correct anymore. Doubly stupid.