PDA

View Full Version : Hockey in KC: Kansas City Predators?

Marco Polo
05-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Brief mention of KC that it's the fave:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2007/columns/story?columnist=buccigross_john&id=2884769

Nashville, we hardly knew ye.

Owner Craig Leipold bought the Predators for $80 million and could sell the team for $220 million. That's a $140 million profit. A silo full of milk and cheese. Leipold said he lost $70 million during his tenure, so that's a $70 million profit for buying a hockey team in Tennessee and living in Wisconsin.

Imagine not being laughed out of a bar in 1972 if you said, "Someday, a guy who lives in Wisconsin will get an expansion team in Nashville, sell it a few years later and make $70 million." I bet you would have gotten a can of Blatz or Schlitz shoved up your left nostril out of sheer stupidity.

So, as Leipold prepares to leave with his $70 million bag of money, Predators season-ticket holders are out tens of thousands of dollars in tickets, parking, bad beer and hideous uniforms. It's the same old story.

And look who is back in town. Our boy, Jim Balsillie! After agreeing in principal to buy the Predators from Leipold this past week, it is seems likely that he will work hard to get his team and move it to Kansas City, Las Vegas, Winnipeg or Ontario.

He can help his boy Phil Anschutz get his team in Kansas City, get a state-of-the-art arena built for him in Vegas with the huge potential for revenue stream or bring a team to Canada and receive hero worship. One of those things will likely happen, whether it's after next season or in the future. Bet on the Preds leaving after the 2007-08 campaign. That was the plan in Pittsburgh, and now that's the plan in Nashville.

If paid attendance in Nashville does not average at least 14,000 next season, and the city can buy all of those tickets, the Preds can pay an exit fee of $18 million to get out of their arena lease and leave Music City USA. Balsillie has $18 million in his glove compartment. Also, the Preds had fewer than 9,000 season-ticket subscribers despite the success of the team, which amassed 110 points this season (tied with Anaheim for third best in the NHL).

Next season, the Predators will not be the third-best team in the NHL. I would suspect nearly all of their key unrestricted free agents will walk. Paul Kariya, Kimmo Timonen, Peter Forsberg and Scott Hartnell will sell their homes now and look to move elsewhere. Forsberg will just check out of the local Hampton Inn.

There is too much uncertainty with the team. Will they be in Nashville one more season? Two? Three? Will they find a way to leave in July?! Who knows? We do know that losing those four players will change the Predators' place in the standings. The Predators can then bring up the financial losses and shed more payroll by trading existing contracts for draft picks. ( The Preds do not have a first-round pick this June.)

The message will then be clear that the Predators want to move. Neither the fans nor the city will continue to shell out hard-earned money in an attempt to play a game of financial chicken with a billionaire. "Let's all buy Predators tickets, watch them lose to Columbus 5-1 and keep the Preds in Nashville!"

It will be a lost year.

Listen, I don't care what Balsillie does with the team. Nashville has shown it probably isn't an NHL city. Fewer than 9,000 season tickets for a 110-point team might be good for arena football or indoor lacrosse or the WNBA, but the NHL isn't like any of those leagues. There are other markets that will produce much larger season-ticket numbers. I've been writing for years that I'm all for another team moving to Canada. That's where the NFL-like passion is, and certainly Ontario can support another NHL team. Kansas City is the favorite because it has a rent-free arena ready to go and Balsillie can hook up his boys in the Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG).

If the arena in Winnipeg is NHL caliber in terms of amenities and revenue, it has a shot. Otherwise, Balsillie has to get going and get an arena deal soon for it to be built in time for the 2008-09 season. Perhaps, he already has the framework in place. One way or another, things will likely take shape soon.

Whatever the case, turn out the lights Nashville, the party's over.

One more series
Well, after eight months, here we are. The final series. A best-of-seven for the Stanley Cup. Both teams won 48 games during the regular season and both have won 12 playoff games. One team, one coach, one city will be changed (for the near NHL future, anyway). One team will be able to say, for the rest of their lives, I am a Stanley Cup champion. That is huge. Unbelievably huge.

The ASH line of Daniel Alfredsson, Jason Spezza and Dany Heatley has separated themselves from every other line in hockey. If Ottawa wins this finals series in five games, then it will be an ASH Wednesday. It's hard, however, to believe Anaheim could possibly lose four of five games to anyone.

I'm picking Ottawa in this series because of the big line, and the fact that Anaheim continues to lean on 22-year-old Ryan Getzlaf, which is always dangerous. That's a lot of responsibility for a young player.

Anaheim has the better goalie and two Hall of Fame defensemen. They have a Hall of Famer in Teemu Selanne, who should find some holes in Ray Emery if he can get quality chances. And that's the question. Ottawa has lots of speed, lots of jam and plays terrific defense. Anaheim does not have a prolific offense. That sets up well for the Senators.

But Ottawa has yet to face a scary, physical team this postseason. Pittsburgh, New Jersey and Buffalo are not scary teams. Anaheim is scary. Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson won't have it easy against the Ducks. They will get physically pounded in this series. Chris Neil will enjoy playing the Ducks because he becomes an important figure in terms of responding to their physical play. I also get a sense Mike Fisher is going to do something big in this series. It seems tailor-made for him, too.

These are two great teams. I'd love to see a seven-game series and the thick drama it would provide as players on both teams look for their first Stanley Cup. Anaheim can win this series if Jean-Sebastien Giguere is out of his mind, but I think Ottawa will win because:

The Senators are a very good defensive team that can score.

Their defense is very rugged. More rugged than Minnesota, Vancouver and Detroit.

Ottawa has had easy travel. You could hitchhike to Pittsburgh, New Jersey and Buffalo.

Alfredsson, Heatley and Spezza are top-shelf players, possibly Hall of Famers. They have good size, good reach and are flying right now. They will score power-play goals.

In the end, it's a coin flip. These are two great teams. The games will probably be low scoring and close. I think if Ottawa splits in Anaheim, it will come back home and win two there and control the series. Anaheim will be looking to punch Ottawa in the face, kill some early-series power plays and wear down a Senators team that hasn't had a street fight. How the games are called is a huge factor. If the game is called close, it favors Ottawa. If the refs let them play, it favors Anaheim.

I'll say they call it close and Ottawa wins in six.

chagrin
05-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Would be a good time, prolly a better long term choice than the Penguins.

Pitt Gorilla
05-28-2007, 04:47 PM
I would like to have the Preds, but I'm surprised there isn't more talk about the Sonics.

Ultra Peanut
05-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Kinda sucks. I haven't really been into the NHL for years, but the Preds are sort of 1b to the Coyotes' 1a for me. The fans in Nashville are good, the previous ownership just did a piss poor job of getting a bigger number game in and game out. Those fans are finally getting a really good team to root for and building some rivalries, and then this happens.

Cochise
05-28-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't think the uniforms are hideous. I think they are kind of cool.

Any NHL team >>>> NBA so hopefully, this works out.

keg in kc
05-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Any NHL team >>>> NBA so hopefully, this works out.Hear that.

Silock
05-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Would be a good time, prolly a better long term choice than the Penguins.

Why do you say that?

Predarat
05-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Don't take my team dammit! But if the Preds do have to move KC would be a place I wouldn't mind. But im almost 100% positive if the new owner moves the Preds it will be to Southern Ontario, about 1 hour outside of Toronto. If not to Winnepeg.

Saulbadguy
05-28-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't think the uniforms are hideous. I think they are kind of cool.

Any NHL team >>>> NBA so hopefully, this works out.
I respectfully disagree.

ChiefsCountry
05-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Don't take my team dammit! But if the Preds do have to move KC would be a place I wouldn't mind. But im almost 100% positive if the new owner moves the Preds it will be to Southern Ontario, about 1 hour outside of Toronto. If not to Winnepeg.

Why in the hell would you want to move a team to Canada?

Predarat
05-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Ask Jim Balsillie, if he does I hope it tanks! :cuss:

PunkinDrublic
05-28-2007, 07:55 PM
If they move to KC can they please change the team name. Predators sounds like a team filled with pedophiles.

Pitt Gorilla
05-28-2007, 08:30 PM
If they move to KC can they please change the team name. Predators sounds like a team filled with pedophiles.
http://www.icmtalent.com/lect/images/hansen_chris_2005_sm.jpg

Predarat
05-28-2007, 08:36 PM
May I suggest the Scouts, Comets, Kings or Blades?

BWillie
05-28-2007, 09:27 PM
I would like to have the Preds, but I'm surprised there isn't more talk about the Sonics.

It's pretty evident that Sonics #1 choice is Oklahoma City. If there was some fall out there, then we would have a chance. It looks to me that it will be the Oklahoma City Sonics sooner than KC gets any NBA team. A year ago the Sonics were purchased by a group headed by Oklahoma City businessman Clay Bennett.

Mecca
05-28-2007, 09:29 PM
So why does it seem so many people here are anti NBA?

Direckshun
05-28-2007, 09:30 PM
I've wanted an NBA team in Missouri since I was in middle school.

Silock
05-28-2007, 10:27 PM

I dunno. Doesn't make sense to me. I would rather go to an NBA game than a hockey game.

Mecca
05-28-2007, 10:38 PM
I dunno. Doesn't make sense to me. I would rather go to an NBA game than a hockey game.

My honest opinion is well this is middle america and I think they are overly caught up in the NBA's "black thug" image........so they just assume it's true.

keg in kc
05-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Hockey's a fast-paced violent team sport that's entertaining to watch if you understand what's going on. NBA basketball is generally either 5 guys trying to see who can out-showboat 5 other guys in different colored uniforms, or 4 guys standing around waiting for the team star to do something.

ChiefsCountry
05-28-2007, 11:09 PM

Because the NBA isnt located close at all to us. With KC not having a team in 22 years and no team in St. Louis, makes it very unintresting for alot people coupled with strong college fanbases in KU, MU, MVC schools, etc. is why lots of people dont want NBA.

Personally I like both the NBA and NHL. If we want more pub nationally for our arena and city, then NBA is the route to go. But NHL is a more put butts in the seat type sport traditonally.

Put this as a darkhorse in Sprint Center race - Sacramento Kings. Put the Maloofs and AEG together and you would have Sprint Center as one of the top venues in the nation.

keg in kc
05-28-2007, 11:14 PM
In all fairness, I think either/both the NBA or NHL could work. IF the team is a winner. I think that's the key. People are so desperate for a winner, I can only imagine what it would be like with a playoff team playing a series in this town. Ice or hardwood.

BWillie
05-28-2007, 11:21 PM
I don't want to shit on the Sprint Center, because it's amazing and it cost 276 million dollars compared to Oklahoma City's Ford Center of 90 something million, but why does it only have 18,500 capacity. It would be one of the smallest arenas in the NBA, although still larger than Seattle's Key Arena. I just think that if you are building an arena like that nowadays, why not just make it 20-21K.

BigRedChief
05-28-2007, 11:24 PM
I don't want to shit on the Sprint Center, because it's amazing and it cost 276 million dollars compared to Oklahoma City's Ford Center of 90 something million, but why does it only have 18,500 capacity. It would be one of the smallest arenas in the NBA, although still larger than Seattle's Key Arena. I just think that if you are building an arena like that nowadays, why not just make it 20-21K.Suites my man suites. Thats where the money is nowdays.
http://www.sprintcenter.com/premium_execsuites.php

Bugeater
05-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Owner Craig Leipold bought the Predators for $80 million and could sell the team for $220 million. That's a $140 million profit. A silo full of milk and cheese. Leipold said he lost $70 million during his tenure, so that's a $70 million profit for buying a hockey team in Tennessee and living in Wisconsin.
:hmmm: How in the hell does a business that loses money gain value?

ClevelandBronco
05-28-2007, 11:27 PM

Because so many people are anti-NBA.

ClevelandBronco
05-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Hockey's a fast-paced violent team sport that's entertaining to watch if you understand what's going on.

Hockey is the ultimate team sport, IMO.

There's a reason that up to three guys (usually half of the team on the playing surface) can be credited with points from a single goal in hockey. When was the last time you saw a third guy get an assist in any other game?

Fastest game in the world, and it takes some time to get used to the pace. I've been watching closely for four seasons and I'm only now seeing the scoring chances develop before they happen.

Logical
05-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Next season, the Predators will not be the third-best team in the NHL. I would suspect nearly all of their key unrestricted free agents will walk. Paul Kariya, Kimmo Timonen, Peter Forsberg and Scott Hartnell will sell their homes now and look to move elsewhere. Forsberg will just check out of the local Hampton Inn.

LOL mark it down they are headed to KC, the city needs another loser for professional sports.

Saulbadguy
05-29-2007, 05:39 AM
My honest opinion is well this is middle america and I think they are overly caught up in the NBA's "black thug" image........so they just assume it's true.
That's a dumb statement.

Ultra Peanut
05-29-2007, 06:28 AM
I don't want to shit on the Sprint Center, because it's amazing and it cost 276 million dollars compared to Oklahoma City's Ford Center of 90 something million, but why does it only have 18,500 capacity. It would be one of the smallest arenas in the NBA, although still larger than Seattle's Key Arena. I just think that if you are building an arena like that nowadays, why not just make it 20-21K.Only 9 arenas in the NBA seat over 20,000, and of those, only 4 were built in the past 10 years.

4 teams are in the 17,000s, 9 teams are in the 18,000s, and 9 more are in the 19,000s.

CanadianChief
05-29-2007, 07:01 AM

cause it's all I got damn it!!! Bring back my Jets to Winnipeg!!!!

chagrin
05-29-2007, 07:13 AM
cause it's all I got damn it!!! Bring back my Jets to Winnipeg!!!!

You live in Winterpeg? :p

OnTheWarpath58
05-29-2007, 07:14 AM

Or it could just be that the pro game sucks when compared to college ball. JMO.

As someone pointed out earler, this area is a college BB hotbed, between the Big 10, 12 and MVC. A lot of the people I know who are big college fans have little to no interest in the pro game.....college ball is more technical and the atmosphere is better, where the pro game resembles a pick-up game.

If you want to watch basketball the way it's meant to be played, watch college. If you want to watch a XBOX game, watch pro.

chagrin
05-29-2007, 07:16 AM
LOL mark it down they are headed to KC, the city needs another loser for professional sports.

You don't watch Hockey do you, The Pred's have built a pretty damn good team.

Saulbadguy
05-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Or it could just be that the pro game sucks when compared to college ball. JMO.

As someone pointed out earler, this area is a college BB hotbed, between the Big 10, 12 and MVC. A lot of the people I know who are big college fans have little to no interest in the pro game.....college ball is more technical and the atmosphere is better, where the pro game resembles a pick-up game.

If you want to watch basketball the way it's meant to be played, watch college. If you want to watch a XBOX game, watch pro.
It's because 99% of the college kids simply can not do what the pros do. There is more talent on a single NBA team than there is in an entire BCS conference.

Coogs
05-29-2007, 08:04 AM
I'd go whole hog for getting the Seattle Sonics in KC if I were in charge. Most likely the Sonics will get to draft Durrant. Having a young marquee player like that to build build around could put KC in the national spotlight in that sport much like LJ has done for Cleveland.

Sully
05-29-2007, 08:09 AM
When I posted about this last week, I mentioned it could be news in some way for KC, but I was pretty unoptimistic about it, as Balsille has always acted that he wanted to move a team to Kitchener. But when you look at where it's centered, it is directly between Toronto, Buffaalo and Detroit. Those teams would (IMO) no way sign off on a team moving that close to all of them, watering down their respective fan bases. So KC, right now, makes a lot of sense.

God I hope they get this doen before anyone takes seriously the NBA coming here.

morphius
05-29-2007, 08:24 AM
It's because 99% of the college kids simply can not do what the pros do. There is more talent on a single NBA team than there is in an entire BCS conference.
I think it has more to do with the lax rules of the NBA, constant traveling, switching pivot foot, refs calling games to make the game closer at the end, creating a rule so Shaq can legally knock people around...

OnTheWarpath58
05-29-2007, 08:30 AM
I think it has more to do with the lax rules of the NBA, constant traveling, switching pivot foot, refs calling games to make the game closer at the end, creating a rule so Shaq can legally knock people around...

IMO, you are exactly right.

CanadianChief
05-29-2007, 08:31 AM

That answer depends on if you're a serial killer or not.

CanadianChief
05-29-2007, 08:35 AM

I'd love to have the Preds come to Winnipeg...it would be better than getting Phoenix back.

chagrin
05-29-2007, 08:44 AM
I'd love to have the Preds come to Winnipeg...it would be better than getting Phoenix back.

So, you live in Winterpeg? :p

Saulbadguy
05-29-2007, 08:46 AM
The NFL does the same shit, yet people still love watching it. Alot of college football only fans cite the same reasons as above, albeit slightly modified, for their reasons not to watch the NFL. (Pass interference calls, rules to protect Peyton Manning, blah blah blah)

The main reason most people on this board don't watch the NBA is because we don't have a team, period.

CanadianChief
05-29-2007, 08:48 AM
So, you live in Winterpeg? :p

Yes i do...I need some other form of entertainment damn it. The CFL sucks and I can only afford to drive down to KC once a year to watch a Chiefs game.

chagrin
05-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Yes i do...I need some other form of entertainment damn it. The CFL sucks and I can only afford to drive down to KC once a year to watch a Chiefs game.

Hey, aren't you the actor? Shouldn't you have plenty to do?

morphius
05-29-2007, 09:07 AM
The NFL does the same shit, yet people still love watching it. Alot of college football only fans cite the same reasons as above, albeit slightly modified, for their reasons not to watch the NFL. (Pass interference calls, rules to protect Peyton Manning, blah blah blah)

The main reason most people on this board don't watch the NBA is because we don't have a team, period.
It is NOWHERE as obvious in the NFL as the NBA.

Demonpenz
05-29-2007, 09:15 AM
I would pay money to see labron kobe or see just the sheer size of guys like yao ming or amire stoddlemyer. rather than see gretzky or whoever plays in the nhl

Bearcat
05-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Hopefully in the next couple of decades the NHL can make a comeback (after Gary Bettman is killed, er, dies), and lacrosse will catch on. The college final four was very entertaining.

To me, it's the anti-team league. I see players take ridiculous shots, and under no circumstance would they think about more than one pass per possession. It's not about the difference in rules or fouls or whatever... it's about the differences in concept/gameplay between college and pros. On top of that, last week I remember hearing something about how Lebron didn't try hard enough to draw a foul when he went up for a shot, and I've heard that's more of the game in the NBA, and I hate that crap (college (see: Tyler Hansbrough) or pro).

Part of it is not having a team to follow. Even though KC has no NHL team, the Avalanche were constantly on ESPN/ABC, which is one reason I became a fan. On top of that, I don't have a reason to watch.... the NFL, NHL, college football, and college basketball are all on during part or all of the NBA season.

(and not reseeding after every round of the playoffs... WTF?)

CanadianChief
05-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Hey, aren't you the actor? Shouldn't you have plenty to do?

The only acting I do is around my wife!!!

Saulbadguy
05-29-2007, 09:35 AM
It is NOWHERE as obvious in the NFL as the NBA.
:rolleyes:

Silock
05-29-2007, 09:38 AM
I've heard that's more of the game in the NBA, and I hate that crap (college (see: Tyler Hansbrough) or pro).

If you don't actually watch the game, you'll never know. Plenty of teams play great defense and team basketball. The NBA is a great product.

Part of it is not having a team to follow. Even though KC has no NHL team, the Avalanche were constantly on ESPN/ABC, which is one reason I became a fan.

Well, that won't be happening any longer, so no worries there.

Saulbadguy
05-29-2007, 09:40 AM
If you don't actually watch the game, you'll never know. Plenty of teams play great defense and team basketball. The NBA is a great product.

I doubt anyone who says these asinine things actually watch any NBA games. (much more traveling, ballhogs, no defense, etc).

morphius
05-29-2007, 09:42 AM
:rolleyes:
Just because you are blind, doesn't mean that everyone else is. Sure there are bad and questionable calls in the NFL that everyone talks about, but you almost never see the BS you do in the NBA where a team is up by 15 and suddenly has 4 quick calls against them to get the other team close, then 10 minutes of no call, team pulls away, more fouls getting called only on one side of the ball... I swear this is where the WWE refs go after perfecting their skills.

Saulbadguy
05-29-2007, 09:45 AM
Just because you are blind, doesn't mean that everyone else is. Sure there are bad and questionable calls in the NFL that everyone talks about, but you almost never see the BS you do in the NBA where a team is up by 15 and suddenly has 4 quick calls against them to get the other team close, then 10 minutes of no call, team pulls away, more fouls getting called only on one side of the ball... I swear this is where the WWE refs go after perfecting their skills.
I watched an NFL game last season where the Denver Broncos received 0 penalties the entire game. Come on.

As far as college games go, watch any game where a BCS team plays a mid-major team in their home arena. It doesn't happen that often, but the BCS team will always get hosed by the bush league officials that that conference fields. Bitching about the refs is no reason not to watch a sport.

morphius
05-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Bitching about the refs is no reason not to watch a sport.

LMFAO!!! Just because you can look past it, doesn't mean everyone else should.

Saulbadguy
05-29-2007, 10:24 AM
LMFAO!!! Just because you can look past it, doesn't mean everyone else should.
It's just a stupid reason which is not even true. I only hear it from people who don't even watch the NBA. How could they come up with that if they don't watch it?

morphius
05-29-2007, 10:27 AM
It's just a stupid reason which is not even true. I only hear it from people who don't even watch the NBA. How could they come up with that if they don't watch it?
I see it 4/5's of the time I try and watch the damn sport, so don't even try that tired line.

Saulbadguy
05-29-2007, 10:29 AM
I see it 4/5's of the time I try and watch the damn sport, so don't even try that tired line.
Probably because you are trying to look for it. It happens in college too, especially with the more talented teams, for obvious reasons.

Cochise
05-29-2007, 10:51 AM
The NBA has a bad image. Obviously, look at what happened in Las Vegas on All-Star weekend. People don't want that in their backyards.

But anyway, we've already got basketball saturation here during the winter months. And due to the college game, people around here are used to seeing a more exciting style of basketball. I don't think people like me who like college basketball but can't bear to watch the NBA would buy in. There's a better product in the market already.

I know that if an NHL team came here I'd buy at ticket package, but if it were an NBA team, I probably would barely even notice.

eazyb81
05-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Here I am all pumped to become a big Predators fan now that I am moving to Nashville in two months, and now a new owner is going to move them, probably to KC of all places.

Such is life I guess, but color me disappointed.

Saulbadguy
05-29-2007, 12:06 PM
The NBA has a bad image. Obviously, look at what happened in Las Vegas on All-Star weekend. People don't want that in their backyards.

But anyway, we've already got basketball saturation here during the winter months. And due to the college game, people around here are used to seeing a more exciting style of basketball. I don't think people like me who like college basketball but can't bear to watch the NBA would buy in. There's a better product in the market already.

I know that if an NHL team came here I'd buy at ticket package, but if it were an NBA team, I probably would barely even notice.
Why do people watch the NFL when there is college football in this area to watch?

Logical
05-29-2007, 12:26 PM

You did not read the quote I posted when I said this did you. All the good players are planning on leaving after this season.

Cochise
05-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Why do people watch the NFL when there is college football in this area to watch?

Asking why the football works in a major city is like asking why soccer works in England. The public in this country is crazy about football. It works everywhere. The TV ratings are good. Teams stay put. The game has a broad appeal. The NFL works everywhere. Football works everywhere. Just about everyone who is a sports fan is a football fan. It's not the same with basketball.

Plus with football I already have ~16 games of NFL and ~12 games of college ball to watch every year. And it's just Saturday and Sunday for those two. Then there's college basketball with about 30 games. If you add the NBA that's 80 more games plus however many for the playoffs, on all different nights of the week and opposing my other teams on a lot of those nights. When would I sleep if I tried to follow all of this?

And that's even if I suddenly started liking watching the NBA for some reason.

Saulbadguy
05-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Asking why the football works in a major city is like asking why soccer works in England. The public in this country is crazy about football. It works everywhere. The TV ratings are good. Teams stay put. The game has a broad appeal. The NFL works everywhere. Football works everywhere. Just about everyone who is a sports fan is a football fan. It's not the same with basketball.

Plus with football I already have ~16 games of NFL and ~12 games of college ball to watch every year. And it's just Saturday and Sunday for those two. Then there's college basketball with about 30 games. If you add the NBA that's 80 more games plus however many for the playoffs, on all different nights of the week and opposing my other teams on a lot of those nights. When would I sleep if I tried to follow all of this?

And that's even if I suddenly started liking watching the NBA for some reason.
That's just like the NHL, you'd have to add an extra 80 games to your game watching schedule.

I agree though, it's not the same as basketball. However, it would work HERE because this is a basketball crazy region. Hell, the Missouri Valley Conference tournament outdrew the Pac-10 and SEC tournament in terms of attendance, that's insane! I think the NBA would work great here just because of the basketball support that is already in place. Bring in the Sonics and I guarantee you the JoCo KU dorks would phlock to the place just because of Nick Collison. Hell, walk around the mall and count all the NBA jerseys you see (people wearing, not on sale) , and then the hockey jerseys. I'm not saying the NHL wouldn't work, but the NBA has improved its product greatly.

I look at a place like Indianapolis and compare it to KC. They have a historic college program right down the road, and a good NFL football following, and they have a basketball team that they support very well. Why can't KC do the same?

(this coming from someone who really doesn't follow the NBA that much)

Mecca
05-29-2007, 03:06 PM

Are you really saying that a college team is more exciting than a team with Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis and Kevin Durant?

Saulbadguy
05-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Are you really saying that a college team is more exciting than a team with Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis and Kevin Durant?
At the moment, it is to me. I'd rather watch KSU play than any NBA team - because there is no NBA team in KC. If there was an NBA team in KC that might change, i'd still like the college game better but my interest in the NBA would go up quite a bit because I would have a team to follow and games to go to.

Mecca
05-29-2007, 03:29 PM
At the moment, it is to me. I'd rather watch KSU play than any NBA team - because there is no NBA team in KC. If there was an NBA team in KC that might change, i'd still like the college game better but my interest in the NBA would go up quite a bit because I would have a team to follow and games to go to.

Well I used that as an example because that team could move......if that team played in this market....would the college team still be more exciting?

Saulbadguy
05-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Well I used that as an example because that team could move......if that team played in this market....would the college team still be more exciting?
That depends. Bill Walker and Michael Beasley will be pretty exciting. ;)

To the casual fan who has no loyalties, of course the NBA team "should be more exciting" because there is more talent on that team.

Ultra Peanut
05-29-2007, 06:43 PM
One of the rumors I've heard is that Balsillie is buying the Predators on a sort of "trial" basis, with the agreement that he becomes owner of a Southern Ontario expansion team in 2010.

Whatever the situation, even if he goes in fully intending to move the team, it'll be a few years before he can wriggle out of Nashville.

At this point, I'd have to guess that the Magic and maybe the Hornets are the most likely teams to end up in KC over the next couple of years.

Silock
05-29-2007, 06:50 PM
BTW, if anyone wants to see some team NBA basketball, there's a playoff game tonight.