PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a new TV....

pr_capone
05-28-2007, 04:31 PM
... and this is the best deal I have come up with yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889022045

$699.99 for a 42" LCD HDTV.

Thots?

The brand seems to be getting rave reviews all over newegg despite me never having heard of them before. Seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Very wise choice.

I have an Olevia myself, and it's a great TV. They use LG screens and ATI chips, so their components are quality, unlike other value LCDs.

I'd be a might wary of the warranty, but not too much.

I'm sure you know this, but the TV doesn't have a tuner, so you'll be relegated to cable or sat, which is a pain in the ass if you like Free OTA HD channels.

Smart move though :thumb:

JBucc
05-28-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm going to start a used electronics only store, and call it slightlyolderegg.com

Buy it.

Skip Towne
05-28-2007, 04:49 PM
What does recertified mean?

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-28-2007, 04:55 PM
What does recertified mean?

It means refurbished you dumb, decrepit sonofabitch.

;)

Skip Towne
05-28-2007, 05:01 PM
It means refurbished you dumb, decrepit sonofabitch.

;)
Then why didn't they just say refurbished? That TV could have been the demo floor model with thousands of hours on it.

ChiefaRoo
05-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi Skip. Are you done detailing my car yet?

pr_capone
05-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Very wise choice.

I have an Olevia myself, and it's a great TV. They use LG screens and ATI chips, so their components are quality, unlike other value LCDs.

I'd be a might wary of the warranty, but not too much.

I'm sure you know this, but the TV doesn't have a tuner, so you'll be relegated to cable or sat, which is a pain in the ass if you like Free OTA HD channels.

Smart move though :thumb:

This one does come with an HDTV Tuner

HDTV Capability HDTV Tuner Inside

Or does that mean something else?

Smoke
05-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Olevia 3 Series - Quality For Those Who Spend Smart To Live Rich.
The 342i is part of the Olevia 3 Series of LCD TVs designed expressly to deliver outstanding quality at an exceptional value. Vibrant image quality is paired with a sleek tunerless1 design,making the Olevia 3 Series ideal for use with digital cable or satellite set-top boxes. The high-definition (HD)-ready TVs are perfect for home or office viewing in any non-networked entertainment environment. And, as with all Olevia 3, 5 and 7 Series TVs, the 342i features:

From reading this, I'm thinking it does not have a tuner.

Smoke
05-28-2007, 08:10 PM
I should have read the fine print....

Your Olevia 3 Series 27 ", 32", 37", and 42" HDTV- Ready LCD Monitors are designed to display video from any video source that can produce a resolution of up to 1080i. These TV Monitors do not have a tuner built-in

Fruit Ninja
05-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Mine doesnt have a tuner, i have a 32 inch olivea in the room. Its direct tv for me or bust.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-28-2007, 08:26 PM
I've got a 32" Olevia that has an HD-Tuner built in, but most cable or sat boxes have tuners built into them already, so it's not really a big deal, more just a point of clarification.

DMAC
05-28-2007, 09:32 PM

I have been looking at TV's too...

Hamas, does your statement mean that if you dont suscribe to HD channels on Dish or cable, you can still pick up local HD with a tuner?

pr_capone
05-28-2007, 09:37 PM
I have been looking at TV's too...

Hamas, does your statement mean that if you dont suscribe to HD channels on Dish or cable, you can still pick up local HD with a tuner?

I'm talking to a Cox rep as I type. You can pick up OTA HD television but you need a HD GAIN Outdoor Antenna to do it. ABC, CBS, PBS, NBC, & Fox all broadcast locally using HD.

Hamas - do you often have to deal with a grey box around your screen due to resolution issues?

aturnis
05-28-2007, 09:59 PM
42" Vizio High Definition Widescreen Plasma TV w/HDMI Input -
Your Price: $695.99

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=P42HDTV10A-R&cm_mmc=froogle-_-ConsumerElectronics-_-Televisions-_-P42HDTV10A-R

pr_capone
05-28-2007, 10:02 PM
42" Vizio High Definition Widescreen Plasma TV w/HDMI Input -
Your Price: $695.99

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=P42HDTV10A-R&cm_mmc=froogle-_-ConsumerElectronics-_-Televisions-_-P42HDTV10A-R

I don't really want a plasma TV, I really prefer the LCD. Also, Vizio was getting sh!t reviews on most sites I have been lookin at.

Thanks tho!

Guru
05-28-2007, 10:12 PM
That is a decent price even if it is only 720p

Miles
05-28-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm talking to a Cox rep as I type. You can pick up OTA HD television but you need a HD GAIN Outdoor Antenna to do it. ABC, CBS, PBS, NBC, & Fox all broadcast locally using HD.

They are correct. For OTA you need both an outdoor antenna and the TV would need to have an internal tuner. If you are planning to get their HD cable package all of the locals would be included and OTA would be redundant.

Hamas - do you often have to deal with a grey box around your screen due to resolution issues?

Are you referring to the bars on the sides when watching non-HD programming? If so, they will be there on any channel or signal that is non-HD. You can turn them to black which keeps them from being distracting or you can set your TV to stretch the SD signal to take up the whole screen. Its a matter of preference. Some like the stretch mode but I can't stand it since it distorts the picture.

chiefbowe82
05-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Awhile back I got a Magnavox LCD TV, and it was fine for the first week then is started to get vertical fuzzy lines running up the tv, we took it in and got it fixed, we later received the tv, and were not impressed with the picture quality, and took it in again, I paid around $800 dollars for it and I have not had it long to enjoy, its been mostly a headache.

Valiant
05-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Awhile back I got a Magnavox LCD TV, and it was fine for the first week then is started to get vertical fuzzy lines running up the tv, we took it in and got it fixed, we later received the tv, and were not impressed with the picture quality, and took it in again, I paid around $800 dollars for it and I have not had it long to enjoy, its been mostly a headache.

You had the tv a week and had problems with it??? Why did you just not return it??? What made you wanted to get it fixed instead of getting a new one???

TinyEvel
05-28-2007, 11:39 PM
I have one of those. Best Buy? 27"?

It's in our guest room, but that;'s where I sneak off on Sundays to watch the game. No complaints on HD channels,. but regular broadcast channels are very grainy and the contrast is low.

I bought it based on glowing value recommendations on the consumer review websites.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-28-2007, 11:46 PM
I have one of those. Best Buy? 27"?

It's in our guest room, but that;'s where I sneak off on Sundays to watch the game. No complaints on HD channels,. but regular broadcast channels are very grainy and the contrast is low.

I bought it based on glowing value recommendations on the consumer review websites.

You should calibrate it. Use Avia Home Theater Guide or DVD essentials....or have someone you trust come by and do it by eye.

And to the aforementioned poster....if you have an ATSC (HD) tuner in your TV, then you can hook up a conventional antennae to it and pull in HD channels, (provided they are in range).

Logical
05-29-2007, 12:04 AM
I always recommend Mitsubishi, always fantastic picture and no service needed.

pr_capone
05-29-2007, 12:25 AM

That was your first mistake. lol

Magnavox is a gigantic piece of shit.

Guru
05-29-2007, 12:31 AM
That was your first mistake. lol

Magnavox is a gigantic piece of shit.

Hell, I have a 27" Magnavox that has been going for 10 years.

Miles
05-29-2007, 01:13 AM
Hell, I have a 27" Magnavox that has been going for 10 years.

That was probably about the last time they were a relevant manufacturer of TV's. As CRT sets have been fazed out Magnavox has pretty much disappeared. That could have something to do with the marketing of the Phillips brand since HD sets started showing up.

MeaTy The Pimp
05-29-2007, 04:15 AM
I just purchased a Samsung DLP set recently and have been quite happy with it. It has 2 HDMI ports for 1080p goodness (now I guess I need to get a HD DVD/Bluray player to fully enjoy it.) The Xbox360 Elite over HDMI looks really goo though...

Guru
05-29-2007, 04:49 AM
I just purchased a Samsung DLP set recently and have been quite happy with it. It has 2 HDMI ports for 1080p goodness (now I guess I need to get a HD DVD/Bluray player to fully enjoy it.) The Xbox360 Elite over HDMI looks really goo though...

Back to baby speak huh?

Stryker
05-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Back to baby speak huh?

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

That was hilarious! :thumb:

DMAC
05-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Does Polaroid make good LCD's?

Stewie
05-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Does Polaroid make good LCD's?

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtvreviews/polaroid-lcd-television.shtml

DMAC
05-29-2007, 10:02 AM
WOW...that site is going to help me very much. Thanks!

KC Kings
05-29-2007, 10:09 AM

Cox is full of crap. There is no such thing as an HD antenna. An antenna is just a piece of metal used to be responsive over a range of UHF and VHF frequencies. All broadcast are made over the same UHF/VHF frequencies, and the only thing that makes it HD is the way the signal is modulated. Any UHf/VHF antenna will pick up UHF/VHF signals. http://www.antennaweb.org has been around for a long time, and I used it to get my HD box up and running before cable or satalite companies offered HD programming.

Local stations all have to broadcast in HD, and most broadcast in 1080i. Local Time Warner cable here shows most HD content in a lower resolution so most OTA HD signals over an antenna are superior to getting them from your cable provider, but there are no standards for signal strength. When I lived a mile from the stadiums, I had a hard time picking up FOX4's HD signal and I was only 10 miles from the tower using a 60" antenna on a 10' mast.

Paying $60 to get 20 HD channels over cable that I can DVR is better than buying and mounting an antenna to get 5 channels for free, IMO.

MeaTy The Pimp
05-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Back to baby speak huh?

HAHAHA... Whoops, I guess, i should run a spell checker on my posts... :)

yeti
05-29-2007, 10:33 AM
check this site out www.fpdl.nist.gov/tips.html

KC-TBB
05-29-2007, 01:03 PM
hmmmmm my set sucks... :banghead: