PDA

View Full Version : WW1 Museum

cookster50
05-29-2007, 06:11 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed before, BUT I DON'T CARE!!!

Went to the WW1 Museum at the Liberty Memorial yesterday. They did a really good job with it. I recommend the experience. Excellent museum if you ask me, excellent even if you don't ask.

gblowfish
05-29-2007, 09:15 AM
I've been there too. If you ever went to the museum before the new construction, it's a thousand times better now, with lots more stuff on display. The battlefield simulations are excellent. Everyone should go see it. Very state of the art stuff, and if you don't know anything about WWI, this will get you up to speed. Trench warfare was nasty nasty stuff.

Phobia
05-29-2007, 09:22 AM
I've been and loved it. Haven't been since the new stuff opened. Been intending to for 6 months.

WW's 1, II, Vietnam, and some of the stuff the boys are going through now in Iraq are the reason I don't spend any time talking about Desert Storm. That war was a picnic by comparison.

HemiEd
05-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Where is it located, please?

Phobia
05-29-2007, 10:04 AM

At the Liberty Memorial - up the hill from Union Station.

HemiEd
05-29-2007, 10:25 AM
At the Liberty Memorial - up the hill from Union Station.

Thanks, I know how to find Union Station. They used to serve a pretty good steak in there.
I will have to check it out.

Frazod
05-29-2007, 10:48 AM

Have you ever been to the Cantigny First Division Museum in Wheaton? It's at the corner of Winfield and Roosevelt Roads. Not the biggest of museums, but the grounds are beautiful and they do have some pretty interesting stuff, including lots of old tanks and artillery pieces.

And it's much closer than the Liberty Memorial. :)

Phobia
05-29-2007, 10:51 AM

Well, since Ed was a participant in WWI, I can understand why he wants to see Liberty Memorial.

Frazod
05-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Well, since Ed was a participant in WWI, I can understand why he wants to see Liberty Memorial.

Ow. :D

gblowfish
05-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Here's a website for those outside KC who'd like to check it out:

http://www.libertymemorialmuseum.org/

The Liberty Memorial is just south of the Union Station (right across the street), and just West of Crown Center. The monument has an observation deck, which gives a spectacular view of downtown KC.

HemiEd
05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Have you ever been to the Cantigny First Division Museum in Wheaton? It's at the corner of Winfield and Roosevelt Roads. Not the biggest of museums, but the grounds are beautiful and they do have some pretty interesting stuff, including lots of old tanks and artillery pieces.

Heck, maybe the four of us should go sometime? The Barracuda goes to Kansas in a couple weeks. Things will calm down then, well after my grandsons go home. We are bringing them both back with us for a while. I am pretty excited about that, should be fun.

HemiEd
05-29-2007, 11:55 AM

ROFL My Grandpa was though.