PDA

View Full Version : Backup MLB?

Direckshun
05-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Harris is going to be a major part of this defensive overhaul, but he does have a history of missing a game or two per season.

What happens, then? Who do we plug in at MLB?

Poll forthcoming.

NY CHIEF
05-29-2007, 09:53 AM
" Scanlon " 3.. 2.. 1....

pikesome
05-29-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm not 100% sure, the move Donnie idea sounds ok but I'd like a MLB who doesn't take piggyback rides. DJ ought to be able to fill in for a bit, I'd hate to do it for more than a game or two. If Nap goes down for half a season we'd have to come up with a different plan.

Direckshun
05-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Say Kawika sucks it up at OLB for the Giants.

He signed a one year thing over there, I believe, for $1 million.

I don't think it'd be a bad idea to acquire him for $1 million in case Harris goes down.

Oregon chief
05-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Isn't Boomer a MLB? I know they want him to play FB.

pikesome
05-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Isn't Boomer a MLB? I know they want him to play FB.

Based on what little we've seen from Scanlon and Boomer I don't see any reason to put Boomer ahead of him. Boomer could be a good blocking FB, probably better than he'd be a Cover2 MLB.

Reerun_KC
05-29-2007, 11:16 AM
who was the MLB, that Mitchell replaced?

I cant think of his name, we picked him up from Washington...

Chiefnj
05-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Wasn't Griffin released?

Direckshun
05-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Oh, shit. He was, wasn't he.

That he were: On May 23, 2007, NFL Network reported that Griffin was released by the Chiefs and the rights for Griffin were picked up by the Cleveland Browns.

noa
05-29-2007, 11:31 AM
who was the MLB, that Mitchell replaced?

I cant think of his name, we picked him up from Washington...

Marvcus Patton

Reerun_KC
05-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Marvcus Patton

Dude thanks!

I went all weekend trying to think of that name...

JBucc
05-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Move Donnie over, but put Fox in instead of Bell.

StcChief
05-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Edwards/Fox

htismaqe
05-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Just go to a nickel with Edwards and DJ.

pikesome
05-29-2007, 12:36 PM

Isn't that begging for some runs up the middle? Part of this question would be how well The Safety Twins turn out. If they do better in run support than coverage, a nickel sounds better. If it's the other way round Donnie might not be the best option at MLB.

Pushead2
05-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Fox , Edwards , Johnson

sedated
05-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Bell has no place in this defense

If he sees the field, we are in deep trouble.

kcchiefsus
05-29-2007, 12:52 PM
How could you not put Nate Harris on the list? He is probably one of the UDFA most likely to make the team.

htismaqe
05-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Isn't that begging for some runs up the middle? Part of this question would be how well The Safety Twins turn out. If they do better in run support than coverage, a nickel sounds better. If it's the other way round Donnie might not be the best option at MLB.

You could always line up with a 5-man line. Turk and Allen at DE with Tamba standing up outside.

el borracho
05-29-2007, 12:55 PM
You could always line up with a 5-man line. Turk and Allen at DE with Tamba standing up outside.
The anti-spinner!

Direckshun
05-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Let's spin some heads and put Pollard in at LB. ;)

chop
05-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Grigsby is listed as #2 on the depth chart.

pikesome
05-29-2007, 02:11 PM

If we had a SS backup, you could do a nickel with an extra SS instead of a CB. You'd need to find another S and be pretty high on Pollard's abilities, however. It could/would be cool to see if we had the people.

Direckshun
07-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Just checked up on Kershaw's 40-time.

4.7. Not going to cut it for a Cover 2 MLB.

kcchiefsus
07-07-2007, 12:48 AM
The backup MLB will be Nate Harris. I believe he was the main backup at MLB at the minicamp open to the fans.

chiefbowe82
07-07-2007, 12:49 AM
I had to vote for Fox..since it's my last name also

Direckshun
07-07-2007, 12:58 AM
The backup MLB will be Nate Harris. I believe he was the main backup at MLB at the minicamp open to the fans.
That would be a major upset of Nate Harris makes the team.

He's essentially competing against Kershaw, who's he's faster than but is considerably smaller than -- and Kershaw's already pretty small for a projected MLB (kcchiefs.com says Kershaw's playing for OLB anyway), not to mention the retaining of Bell gives the Chiefs the flexibility to put either DJ or Donnie at MLB and move either Fox or Bell in at OLB.

kcchiefsus
07-07-2007, 03:05 AM
That doesn't change the fact that when the 2nd team defense was in at minicamps Nate Harris was the backup MLB.

Nate Harris is a very talented player who is just a little on the raw side. If you want to understand what kind of player he could be then look no further than the fact that he was originally committed to Miami coming out of High School but he was not able to attend the U because he had a charge of armed robbery. All off the field issues aside, considering Miami's history of pumping out great linebackers Nate Harris could have been a top draft prospects.

arrowheadsoldier
07-07-2007, 03:30 AM
I have to agree with JBucc move Donnie over to the middle and put Fox in rolb, it'd be our best bet.

kcchiefsus
07-07-2007, 03:33 AM
I have to agree with JBucc move Donnie over to the middle and put Fox in rolb, it'd be our best bet.

Why would we mess around with two different positions just to fix one? If we wanted Fox to start at OLB we would not have signed Edwards.

If we did it your way there would be no reason to even carry a backup MLB.

CoMoChief
07-07-2007, 07:30 AM
Move Donnie over, but put Fox in instead of Bell.

Ding Ding Ding, we hava winner.

bringbackmarty
07-07-2007, 10:43 AM
bell is too dumb. they probably will move donnie over, but just for the sake of argument, what if edwards got hurt too, then who do we pick?

Mr. Kotter
07-07-2007, 10:46 AM
bell is too dumb. they probably will move donnie over, but just for the sake of argument, what if edwards got hurt too, then who do we pick?

Fox, outside; Scanlon (or Boomer, if he makes the roster at FB) will be adequate...given the expectations I have for the season.

Mr. Kotter
07-07-2007, 10:48 AM

That's not actually as far-fetched as some might think.

Direckshun
07-07-2007, 11:33 AM
That doesn't change the fact that when the 2nd team defense was in at minicamps Nate Harris was the backup MLB.

Nate Harris is a very talented player who is just a little on the raw side. If you want to understand what kind of player he could be then look no further than the fact that he was originally committed to Miami coming out of High School but he was not able to attend the U because he had a charge of armed robbery. All off the field issues aside, considering Miami's history of pumping out great linebackers Nate Harris could have been a top draft prospects.
Color me intrigued.

Where have you acquired this information?

Direckshun
07-07-2007, 11:34 AM
That's not actually as far-fetched as some might think.
I don't think so either. He's not that much lighter than Donnie and he's not afraid to mix it up.

ROYC75
07-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Heh...... is this a trick question ?

Direckshun
07-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Heh...... is this a trick question ?
How do you mean.

RustShack
07-07-2007, 12:40 PM

That would work if we had a nickleback, Scanlon was NFLE Defencice MVP a couple years ago, and good players can come out of NFLE. If not Scanlon I think Bell could fill in at MLB, he played ILB with the Steelers, and was pretty good there. He's just been having groin problems while he was here, and I know I couldn't play to well if my nuts were screwd up. I'm just going to hope Napolian dosn't get hurt though. If we did keep Wesley, he could play FS, Pollard at SS, and Page at nickle, but last I knew Wesley said he won't play for the Chiefs anymore so who knows.

htismaqe
07-07-2007, 12:42 PM
That would work if we had a nickleback, Scanlon was NFLE Defencice MVP a couple years ago, and good players can come out of NFLE. If not Scanlon I think Bell could fill in at MLB, he played ILB with the Steelers, and was pretty good there. He's just been having groin problems while he was here, and I know I couldn't play to well if my nuts were screwd up. I'm just going to hope Napolian dosn't get hurt though. If we did keep Wesley, he could play FS, Pollard at SS, and Page at nickle, but last I knew Wesley said he won't play for the Chiefs anymore so who knows.

Benny Sapp can play the nickel. The key is to disguise coverages so that he can't be repeatedly picked on one-on-one. We have young, athletic safeties - we should use them.

RustShack
07-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Benny Sapp can play the nickel. The key is to disguise coverages so that he can't be repeatedly picked on one-on-one. We have young, athletic safeties - we should use them.

Last I knew Tyrone Brackenridge was the leading canidate to play the nickle.

Ebolapox
07-07-2007, 12:48 PM
How do you mean.

heh, you weren't around long enough for the scan-fan love-fest. here, I'll bump a thread for ya.

htismaqe
07-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Last I knew Tyrone Brackenridge was the leading canidate to play the nickle.

that works too

Direckshun
07-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Sapp's the NCB.

If Brackenridge, Maxey, Bragg, or the assortment of other nameless marginally talented guys have challenged him, it's a surprise to me.

RustShack
07-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Sapp will be lucky to make the team again

htismaqe
07-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Sapp will be lucky to make the team again

He's a favorite of the coaches. They all love him because he plays with heart and fire and never takes plays off. He's not going anywhere.

Mecca
07-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Color me intrigued.

Harris was a two-way standout at Edison High School in Miami. He was rated the fourth-best outside linebacker prospect in the nation by Rivals.com and a member of that recruiting service's Top 100 list. He added all-county and all-State honors his last two seasons. As a senior, he received Riddell Footwear All-American first-team accolades.

As a junior 200-pound linebacker, he recorded 138 tackles and 20 quarterback sacks as he made tackles all over the field. His speed and relentless pursuit to the football is what had all of the college coaches drooling to get him in for a visit.

He enrolled at Dodge City Community College in 2003, as his academics prevented him from accepting a scholarship to Louisiana State after Miami pulled its offer. The 200-pounder saw action at safety and linebacker in 2003 before playing linebacker in 2004.

kcchiefsus
07-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Color me intrigued.

What information?

It is well known to everybody that Nate Harris was originally committed to play linebacker at the University of Miami. He had to go to JUCO though because of an armed robbery charge. Obviously he wasn't charged with the crime because he still finished his college career and is not in jail. I wanted us to draft Nate Harris because he is a very talented player who is solid in coverage and would be a good fit at MLB.

And regardless of who anybody thinks will be the backup at MLB, it doesn't change the fact that Nate Harris was the main backup at MLB in the minicamp open to the public. Nate Harris is #98 and he was the ILB in with the second team defense.

kcchiefsus
07-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Harris was a two-way standout at Edison High School in Miami. He was rated the fourth-best outside linebacker prospect in the nation by Rivals.com and a member of that recruiting service's Top 100 list. He added all-county and all-State honors his last two seasons. As a senior, he received Riddell Footwear All-American first-team accolades.

As a junior 200-pound linebacker, he recorded 138 tackles and 20 quarterback sacks as he made tackles all over the field. His speed and relentless pursuit to the football is what had all of the college coaches drooling to get him in for a visit.

He enrolled at Dodge City Community College in 2003, as his academics prevented him from accepting a scholarship to Louisiana State after Miami pulled its offer. The 200-pounder saw action at safety and linebacker in 2003 before playing linebacker in 2004.

He is now up to 230 pounds.

RustShack
07-07-2007, 08:31 PM
He's a favorite of the coaches. They all love him because he plays with heart and fire and never takes plays off. He's not going anywhere.

Your thinking of when Dick was the Coach, the only thing Benny is good at is blitzing.

htismaqe
07-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Your thinking of when Dick was the Coach, the only thing Benny is good at is blitzing.

No, I'm not.

He is one of Gunther's favorite players.

RustShack
07-07-2007, 11:21 PM
He could still make the team especially if we keep 5 CB's, but I don't think he will play the nickel, but it is possible I guess.

Short Leash Hootie
07-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Say Kawika sucks it up at OLB for the Giants.

He signed a one year thing over there, I believe, for $1 million.

I don't think it'd be a bad idea to acquire him for $1 million in case Harris goes down.
Mitchell wouldn't have signed on with the Chiefs to be a backup...he was a free agent...

He signed that contract in New York because they promised him a starting spot...if he has a solid year he'll be looking at a big contract come next offseason.