PDA

View Full Version : ***Official 2007 Supplemental Draft Thread***

Cave Johnson
05-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Ok, jacka$$es, let's talk about this year's supplemental draft, not 2006.

The only top prospect I know of Paul Oliver, CB, Georiga. 6' 210.

The honor of top rated senior corner…. now belongs to Paul Oliver. An elite recruit coming out of the prep ranks who had to wait his turn before finally getting a chance to start, Oliver really emerged as a junior in 2006 and there is no telling how high his draft stock could soar if he can build on that momentum this fall. From a size/speed standpoint Oliver has everything you look for and his best football is still ahead of him so remember his name because you will be hearing it a lot the next 12 months.

Paul Oliver, CB, Georgia - Oliver has ideal size for a corner and has the ability both to play off coverage and press coverage. He had an outstanding junior campaign, regularly matching up against the top receiver on the other team. He held Calvin Johnson to only 13 yards and Sidney Rice to 31 yards receiving. He needs to display more consistency in his game, but he has the physical tools to be the top corner in the 2008 class.

2007 Top Returning DB's: The term "shutdown corner" is thrown around with abandon. Georgia intends to put it to the test this season, hoping Oliver can become a pass-crippling one-man show. Oliver enters his senior season as one of the SEC's better cover corners. The plan is to ask him to cover one side of the field by himself, leaving the Bulldogs flexibility to devote more manpower in other areas.

Georgia CB Paul Oliver, who had been considered a potential first-day pick at the 2008 draft, has left school and will reportedly make himself eligible for this summer’s NFL supplemental draft. Oliver reportedly had been declared academically ineligible for the upcoming season. Oliver is listed at 6-0, 210 and reportedly runs the 40 in the low 4.4s; in 2006, he had 57 tackles and picked off three passes.

http://www.lionsredzone.com/showthread.php?p=221079

kcchiefsus
05-29-2007, 04:11 PM
OT Jared Gaither is also a possible entrant into the supplemental draft.

TRR
05-29-2007, 04:46 PM
The CB position behind Ty Law and Pat Surtain is cause for concern. I was glad to see Benny Sapp come back for another, hopefully healthy, season. Hopefully the June 1st cuts will allow KC to sign another decently young CB to compete at the nickel spot.

I thought Lenny Walls had a decent season last year. It wasn't great, but he was better than McCleon at the nickel position, and played better than Sapp as well. I was suprised to see him walk.

NJ Chief Fan
05-29-2007, 04:48 PM
If we were to take the CB out of Georgia, what round pick would we lose next season? If its anything but a 1st, I think I would take my shot at him. Considering that he is suppose to be a 1st rounder next season, and because of his poor academics or whatever it is that isnt allowing him to return to school next season, it would give him a year head start of learning the NFL.

TRR
05-29-2007, 04:55 PM
If we were to take the CB out of Georgia, what round pick would we lose next season? If its anything but a 1st, I think I would take my shot at him. Considering that he is suppose to be a 1st rounder next season, and because of his poor academics or whatever it is that isnt allowing him to return to school next season, it would give him a year head start of learning the NFL.

You wouldn't lose a first rounder normally in the supplemental draft. However, the supplemental draft is far from a sure thing when it comes to talented players. Most teams will pony up a 4th or 5th round pick for a supplemental draft player.

Hopefully Marcus Maxey can step up and earn some minutes at the CB position as well.

NJ Chief Fan
05-29-2007, 04:59 PM
You wouldn't lose a first rounder normally in the supplemental draft. However, the supplemental draft is far from a sure thing when it comes to talented players. Most teams will pony up a 4th or 5th round pick for a supplemental draft player.

Hopefully Marcus Maxey can step up and earn some minutes at the CB position as well.

If we could give up a 4th or 5th for first round talent, I think thats a good deal. That would be like having two first rounders next season.

Direckshun
05-29-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm not completely versed on the Sup Draft, so somebody fill me in.

Let's say we're interested in Oliver, which we should be.

If we wanted him, we submit a bid to the NFL for that player, telling them what round we'd take him in. Let's say the Chiefs tell the NFL they'd take him with their fifth.

If any team who's higher than the Chiefs on the Draft board (i.e. every non-playoff team in the league) said they would take Oliver with the 5th, they win. However, any team lower than the Chiefs (let's say the Colts) would have to say they'd take Oliver with a 4th in order to win him from us.

Right?

So let's say we win Oliver with a 5th. That means we have to forfeit our 5th in the 2008 NFL Draft -- who takes that pick? Anybody?

Direckshun
05-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Maxey's not going to pan out, btw.

Smed1065
05-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Breaking news: Paul Oliver was ruled academically ineligible in early May 2007 and has decided to enter the NFL's supplemental draft. If he runs good during workouts he could be selected in the 3-4th round and the NFL team that decides to select him will lose their pick for the following year. The supplemental NFL Draft will be held sometime in July 2007.

Article (http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/paul_oliver.htm)

Direckshun
05-29-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm not completely versed on the Sup Draft, so somebody fill me in.

Let's say we're interested in Oliver, which we should be.

If we wanted him, we submit a bid to the NFL for that player, telling them what round we'd take him in. Let's say the Chiefs tell the NFL they'd take him with their fifth.

If any team who's higher than the Chiefs on the Draft board (i.e. every non-playoff team in the league) said they would take Oliver with the 5th, they win. However, any team lower than the Chiefs (let's say the Colts) would have to say they'd take Oliver with a 4th in order to win him from us.

Right?

So let's say we win Oliver with a 5th. That means we have to forfeit our 5th in the 2008 NFL Draft -- who takes that pick? Anybody?
Help.

TRR
05-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Maxey's not going to pan out, btw.

I'll cross him off the roster then.

kcchiefsus
05-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Oliver is a guy that most likely would have been a 1st rounder next year and possibly the first cornerback taken. He is supposedly the best cornerback out of Georgia since Champ Bailey. Georgia was going to put alot of trust in him this year by letting him lock down one side of the field on his own. He is a big loss for them.

I would offer a 2nd or 3rd round pick in the supplemental draft. We need the depth badly and it would be a steal to get him in the 2nd or 3rd.