PDA

View Full Version : Tim McViegh's execution

Archie F. Swin
04-19-2001, 03:18 PM
This was inspired by "Talkback Live" April 19, 2001

old_geezer
04-19-2001, 03:33 PM
Personally I think that anyone who wants to watch an execution is more than a little sick themselves.
There are people who deserve to be put to death and I believe in the death penalty, but I have no desire to watch. Just flip the switch and get it over with.

keg in kc
04-19-2001, 03:35 PM
I don't think he should be put to death because I'm not convinced that he did it.

Archie F. Swin
04-19-2001, 03:37 PM
This poll may give more interesting results than I figured

keep 'em coming!

1punkyQB
04-19-2001, 03:53 PM
Kyle
I don't know much about the case. Have you read something that led you to believe that?

Baby Lee
04-19-2001, 03:54 PM
I am quite conflicted on the whole death penalty issue. but I do feel that if a country, state, etc., has the judicial will to execute those among them who have forfeited their right to life under color of law, that country, state, etc., should have the political will to do so in full view of its citizens.

cjderby
04-19-2001, 04:04 PM
I'm not against the death penalty, but in this case I would say don't put him to death because that, like with the audience choice, is exactly what he wants, more fuel for his martyr status. Let this one rot....

Phobia
04-19-2001, 04:11 PM
I won't personally get a charge out of viewing his death nor do I intend to watch it. However, I believe it should be REQUIRED viewing for all persons with criminal history or potential. Gang bangers, hate groups, anti-government, juvenile offenders, etc should all be sentenced to watch it on their first offense.

Incidentally, I was in OKC 4 days after the bombing and in Denver the day McVeigh's trial began. Both were coincidental business trips. However, my emotions run very high on this case because I've seen the carnage & pain firsthand. I drank myself silly with many of the rescue workers. Not a fun time in American history.

keg in kc
04-19-2001, 04:14 PM
Punky, there's a lot of things that don't add up about the whole OKC bombing: Things that were reported during the week following the bombing that were never heard again after that point. Evidence that the bomb could not have been made with fertilizer. More evidence that the building may have been demolished from the inside, and not just bombed from the outside, including US Geological Survey reports that there were two separate blasts recorded by quake detection devices. The fact that when people asked to have the demolition of the building delayed to allow more study of the scene, the request was not only denied, but the demolition was moved up two weeks. The fact that no terrorist organization has ever taken credit for the bombing and that it can't be tied to anyone, be it militia groups or foreign - I don't believe in the "lone nut" scenario.

A lot of questions, and I'm not yet convinced the answers all add together to equal Tim McVeigh. Not that it matters, he'll be executed in May anyway, and this whole thing will then be eventually (and maybe conveniently) forgotten.

Mark M
04-19-2001, 04:50 PM
By giving this douche bag all of this media attention, McVeigh has gotten everything he wants ... whether or not he did it (although I believe he had a ton to do with it, I just don't think he's bright enough to have pulled this off on his own). He, like Waco and Ruby Ridge, will just be fuel to the fire of hate some militia groups have towards the government.

And public executions are just a bad idea, IMO. It won't stop anyone from comitting capital crimes, and talk about desensitizing. Sure, the first few will be shocking and pretty sedate, but what happens when Fox buys the rights? I can just see it: "This Friday, the 11th hour will chime for Ken Dierberg. But will the Governor call and stay his execution? Find out this Friday as our exclusive Death Meter will take you inside the action, showing what it's really like to strapped to the electric chair. Blah blah blah ... " It could get awfully scary. :eek:

MM
~~Has little faith in the masses.

JohninGpt
04-19-2001, 05:36 PM
I don't know if it should be televised, but I do think the punishment should fit the crime. To be specific, he killed 168 people with explosives, he should be executed with explosives. I say we start with fire crackers in the groin area...

John
- Unforgiving Okie

Raiderhader
04-19-2001, 05:46 PM
I for one do not care to see an execution (unless it is me blowing some guys brains out for some terrible thing he has done to my family), but there are those who feel that it brings a close to things. For that reason I believe the families of the victims have the right to watch if they so desire. I can't say that I am against public viewing (I would love to go back to public hangings), but in this case it would just make a martyr out of the guy and that is what he wants, so deny him.

John,
I agree with you that the punishment should fit the crime. Some body cuts up a person(s) with a chain saw, do the same to them.

Logical
04-19-2001, 05:58 PM
The only way I would want the execution dropped is if a weekly torture session (for the remainder of his life) was set up and accomplished live for the world to view (viewings could be dropped after a couple of month with just a ceremonial once a year broadcast dedicated to the memory of those who died at his hands).

Now that would be an effective deterrent.

Frazod
04-19-2001, 06:24 PM
I don't exactly agree with any of the options - I think McVeigh's execution should be broadcast on PPV to a mature audience, with proceeds going to a victim's fund.

However, I don't agree with the method of execution. I don't think he should be tortured to death or anything like that, but I think this lethal injection thing is a bunch of crap. How much closure will it bring to watch what looks like someone going to sleep? I sure wouldn't pay to see that. He should be executed by more conventional methods - either hanging, electrocution or a firing squad (a good beheading would suffice, too) - something that would be quick, but also very clearly show that he's instantly no longer alive.

I don't like the idea of the festive, bring-the-kiddies atmosphere executions once were, but I think they should be public, for viewing by mature citizens. I also think they should be used for far more crimes, like rape, child molestation, and repeat offenders. I don't think execution in its present form is much of a deterrent, but if it was publicly visage and more common, it would be.

And I'm all for that.

Storm
04-19-2001, 08:12 PM
I think this pile of worthless crap should be deported to a mexican prison where we pay $2.00 per week for his food (coming from a ryder van charity to clear up their image as the terroist transport of choice) and let him rot away and not be able to talk to anybody and get all this attention that he craves! He should be put away for life of solitude in a cell that is under ground (although up to geneva "standards" or whatever) and all he sees is concrete and the bottum of mean stinky mexican feet. Death by IV is not punishment, not for "it" .. he isnt worthy of the tax money to pay for the medication much less the life led in american prisons.

I once thought his execution should be televised as part of the whole free speech schpeil but this would just be another (albeit final) victory for it . . although he forgets that life in hell is no victory who gets the last laugh now smirk now little crapheap???

Archie F. Swin
04-19-2001, 09:43 PM
nice to see that goose egg in the undecided catagory