PDA

View Full Version : Helping the Royals offense: two words

Oz_Chief
05-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Joey Gathright.

I said it a few weeks ago and I'll say it again. Get rid of Emil Brown and Shane Costa and call up Gathright. Put him in LF and make him bat ninth. Here are some of his current numbers:

AVG .323, OBP.452, SB 17

You can not overstate the value of speed. Pitchers become more distracted when speed is on base. Fielders rush throws, take a step in and lose angles. How is he not in KC?

The cynic in me says that Brown is being held up as home grown and developed talent, even though in reality he is mediocre at best.

With this ballpark the Royals need speed. Oh yeah, don't take German out of the lineup again.

Just my two cents.

Valiant
05-30-2007, 10:13 AM
If he cannot make it to the bases it is all moot anyway... That is the reason why he did not make the club at the start of the season.. If he is not on the basepaths his speed really does not matter..

That and Brown is leaps better then him in the outfield...

Fish
05-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Emil Brown:
06: BA: .287 OBP: .358 SLG: .457

Joey Gathright:

06: BA: .262 OBP: .332 SLG: .328

And Gathright's stats are over fewer games....

Gathright is fast, but other than that he's not stand-out better than Brown or Costa. Just because he's hitting well in the minors, it doesn't mean he'll come up to the big leagues and have the same stats... ask Billy Butler...

Cochise
05-30-2007, 10:22 AM
LMAO... I heard a conversation at the ballpark on Saturday about how if we only had Joey Gathright and Aaron Guiel, all our problems would be over.

The guy cannot hit big-league pitching. Going back 5 years, he's a career .315 hitter in the minors, and a .251 hitter in the majors. This is nothing new, he hasn't figured pitching out. He's doing the same thing he's always done. He's a AAA star and a big league scrub.

There's no need for us to get Gathright a bunch of ABs when we have other guys who may improve someday that we could give the experience to. Guys like Gathright are not a dime a dozen - guys who are better than Gathright are a dime a dozen. We can find hundreds of guys who could come hit for a terrible batting average while being a liability in the field, but give us a home run or an extra base hit once in a great while. Gathright can't do that.

Guiel - same story. Not good in the field, doesn't bring you much of anything. A 35 year old with a .246 career batting average. And yet people think guys like that are the solution to our problems.

Sorry, but... :rolleyes:

It's like the Chiefs' defensive line or secondary syndrome from a couple years ago. The fact that someone is not on our roster right now automatically makes them better than anyone who is.

Cochise
05-30-2007, 10:23 AM
By the way, Brown is not homegrown talent... we picked him up after Pittsburgh gave up on him.

StcChief
05-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Two words: Triple A

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Two words: Little League

Reerun_KC
05-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Two Words: For Sale?

Silock
05-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Two words:

Evict Glass.

beavis
05-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Two words:

Your and idiot.

chiefqueen
05-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Two words:

corked bats

(Our pitchers were still cough up the game so nobody would be the wiser.)

CoMoChief
05-30-2007, 11:21 AM
LMAO... I heard a conversation at the ballpark on Saturday about how if we only had Joey Gathright and Aaron Guiel, all our problems would be over.

The guy cannot hit big-league pitching. Going back 5 years, he's a career .315 hitter in the minors, and a .251 hitter in the majors. This is nothing new, he hasn't figured pitching out. He's doing the same thing he's always done. He's a AAA star and a big league scrub.

There's no need for us to get Gathright a bunch of ABs when we have other guys who may improve someday that we could give the experience to. Guys like Gathright are not a dime a dozen - guys who are better than Gathright are a dime a dozen. We can find hundreds of guys who could come hit for a terrible batting average while being a liability in the field, but give us a home run or an extra base hit once in a great while. Gathright can't do that.

Guiel - same story. Not good in the field, doesn't bring you much of anything. A 35 year old with a .246 career batting average. And yet people think guys like that are the solution to our problems.

Sorry, but... :rolleyes:

It's like the Chiefs' defensive line or secondary syndrome from a couple years ago. The fact that someone is not on our roster right now automatically makes them better than anyone who is.

For some reason Guiel did kick our ass in the WBC.

tyton75
05-30-2007, 11:23 AM
I think the only reason Brown is still on this team is to bump his trade value.. he is not the future by any means

I have no problem with Gaithright moving up to the Royals if he could hit lead off.. but I would rather bring up Butler and let him take his lumps.. not like we are in the pennant race!

Jordan
05-30-2007, 12:47 PM
I think the only reason Brown is still on this team is to bump his trade value.. he is not the future by any means

I have no problem with Gaithright moving up to the Royals if he could hit lead off.. but I would rather bring up Butler and let him take his lumps.. not like we are in the pennant race!

If Gathwright was the short term answer for the Royals why the hell would we put him in LF? If we're gonna take the hitting lump with him in the lineup, I'm pretty sure he'd play CF and DeJesus would move to LF. It just makes sense speed and arm strength-wise.

Also, I'd rather have Butler (as stated before) or Lubanski called up. Lubanski cause he's about ready and Butler because we already started his major league clock (contractually speaking).

...and what the hell happened to Justin Huber? Is he still in the future plans? I always liked him - he was my Aaron Guile post Aaron Guile - a guy I thought could play, but was always right between AAA and MLB. Give him a chance!