PDA

View Full Version : Gretz reminds KC residents that they ruined Carl's only shot at a Super Bowl

shaneo69
05-30-2007, 12:17 PM
GRETZ: Just A Little Bit Jealous
May 30, 2007, 9:08:09 AM by Bob Gretz

Lost around these parts in last week’s maelstrom involving Trent Green was the decision by the NFL owners to stage the Super Bowl for the 2011 season at the new, under construction Cowboys stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Last week’s vote came down to a battle between Dallas and Indianapolis and the new football dome they are building right next to the RCA Dome. Only a handful of votes among the 32 teams separated the two cities on the final ballot. There were no officials results announced, but one league source was quoted as saying the final vote was 17-15. That means there’s a very good chance that Indianapolis will soon get the NFL championship game as well.

As I watched from afar, I have to admit I was jealous. For those in the Kansas City area who care about pro football it was a reminder that we had our own Super Bowl in our hands not too long ago and let it get away.

It’s now nearly 14 months after the ballot initiative was defeated that would have provided a rolling roof on Arrowhead Stadium. Although the revenue to create that one of a kind roof was not going to come from the same sales tax that was approved for renovations of the Truman Sports Complex, the voters turned down the roof and the automatic Super Bowl.

The decision by the voters is no more understandable today than it was over a year ago. Poorly written and confusing ballot language is the only logical explanation for the folks of Jackson County to turn down an expenditure they didn’t have to pay for, and one that would have brought so much to the community.

It wasn’t just the Super Bowl; there were other events that would have come with it. Down in the Dallas area, they already know that the Cotton Bowl will move into the Cowboys new stadium as well. How can the Cotton Bowl not be played at the Cotton Bowl? When there’s a brand new spanking stadium with all the new amenities, there really isn’t much of a choice. There’s a lot of history at the Cotton Bowl, just as there’s a lot of history at the Orange Bowl stadium in Miami. But they don’t play that big bowl game there any more; it moved to Dolphin Stadium a decade ago.

Last week, Dallas and Indianapolis sent large contingents of dignitaries to Nashville for the vote. Colts coach Tony Dungy went and spoke on the behalf of Indianapolis, which also provided a top ten list from Indiana native David Letterman. The leader of the Dallas group was Hall of Fame quarterback Roger Staubach.

Kansas City would not have had to do any of that. The game was guaranteed by former Commissioner Paul Tagliabue on the successful vote to add the roof. The Chiefs and local groups would not have had to parade in front of the owners. No dog and pony shows.

Over the last weekend, Dallas was celebrating its Super Bowl. In Indianapolis, they were gearing up for the next vote by the NFL owners on Super Bowls in 2012 and 2013. They’ll get one of those games.

When they do, it will be another tough weekend to think about what might have been right here in Kansas City.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of Carl Peterson.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/05/30/gretz_just_a_little_bit_jealous/

Reerun_KC
05-30-2007, 12:20 PM
BOO HOO... Stop sitting on your ass being a pathetic excuse for a GM and build your team and franchise to super bowl quality...

ChiTown
05-30-2007, 12:20 PM
:deevee:

**** off, Carl, and build us a Super Bowl team already, you fat assed, eye flinching retard.

tomahawk kid
05-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Terrible, terrible, terrible.

You don't, I repeat DO NOT, post an article like this on your website after the county taxpayers ponied up millions to renovate the stadium.

What a disgrace.

:shake:

Claynus
05-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Who cares? I don't give a rat's ass about the Super Bowl being played in Kansas City.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Hey Gretz... you're an idiot supreme. I'll care about where the Super Bowl is played when my team is in it. Let's take care of that first.

RedThat
05-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Ahh screw this!

I'd rather see us play in the SB than host it!

Reerun_KC
05-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Who cares? I don't give a rat's ass about the Super Bowl being played in Kansas City.

I would venture to say that 99% of all chiefs fans would rather the Chiefs play in one, than to watch Carl F*ck countless other people out of $50 parking.....

F*ck off and Die Carl.

Direckshun
05-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Boo hoo, Kansas City didn't pay multi-millions of dollars for a rolling roof for one game.

siberian khatru
05-30-2007, 12:35 PM
http://www.webindia123.com/health/child/baby/images/cry.jpg

MADDOG MIKE
05-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Terrible, terrible, terrible.

You don't, I repeat DO NOT, post an article like this on your website after the county taxpayers ponied up millions to renovate the stadium.

What a disgrace.

:shake:

Yeah, that....^^^

Reerun_KC
05-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Boo hoo, Kansas City didn't pay multi-millions of dollars for a rolling roof for one game.

I am sure the influx of revenue to the city would of been nice, but not at the expense of the already over taxed taxpayers....

If the Hunts want a superbowl? Then the Hunts need to pony up the cash and build them a rolling roof.

Simplex3
05-30-2007, 12:39 PM
I wish this was unbelievable.

You know, I might feel more strongly about the Chiefs if it weren't for the automatic association you have to make with Mr. 20+ years without a ring.

Cochise
05-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Oh man, I'm so sad that we didn't get to see them spend tens of millions throwing a huge trash bag over arrowhead for a game none of us would get to attend :rolleyes:

jidar
05-30-2007, 12:52 PM
What? If it wasn't coming from taxes, who was going to fund the damned thing then?

Christofire
05-30-2007, 12:53 PM
>>Poorly written and confusing ballot language is the only logical explanation for the folks of Jackson County to turn down an expenditure they didn’t have to pay for<<

I'm not a KC resident, so pardon my dumb question: If the taxpayers aren't paying for it, then where is the money to build the roof coming from again?

CoMoChief
05-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Yeah this article was so selfishly stupid I can't even see straight. After the residents of JaxCo. fished up more millions of tax dollars to renovate Arrowhead and Kauffman (when both clubs by professional standards are subpar) should say enough about how we stand by our teams. This really shows how classless Carl can be at times. If he were to fall off the face of the planet, I would probably just throw a party.

The rolling roof IMO was stupid and tacky. Football is supposed to be played outdoors regardless of the temperature whether it's in AUG or in JAN. The rolling roof was tacky looking anyways.

Honestly I don't care if KC never hosts a SB. I probably wouldn't be able to get tix anyways. How about Carl builds a SB team instead of ever so wanting to host one? I mean it's only been year 18 of the 5 year plan with only one playoff win to show for it.

**** YOU CARL!!!!
**** YOU BLOB GRETZ!!!

Reerun_KC
05-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah this article was so selfishly stupid I can't even see straight. After the residents of JaxCo. fished up more millions of tax dollars to renovate Arrowhead and Kauffman (when both clubs by professional standards are subpar) should say enough about how we stand by our teams. This really shows how classless Carl can be at times. If he were to fall off the face of the planet, I would probably just throw a party.

The rolling roof IMO was stupid and tacky. Football is supposed to be played outdoors regardless of the temperature whether it's in AUG or in JAN. The rolling roof was tacky looking anyways.

Honestly I don't care if KC never hosts a SB. I probably wouldn't be able to get tix anyways. How about Carl builds a SB team instead of ever so wanting to host one? I mean it's only been year 18 of the 5 year plan with only one playoff win to show for it.

**** YOU CARL!!!!
**** YOU BLOB GRETZ!!!

we have a couple of wins... 2 of which came in the 94 playoffs, dont forget the Raiders win in 91...

listopencil
05-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Wow. Amazing. "Carl's only shot at a Super Bowl"? What a ****ing moron this writer is. I would think if I were the GM of an NFL franchise that I was specifically hired to try and get my team to a Super Bowl. On the field. By building a winning team.

Otter
05-30-2007, 01:36 PM
I stand corrected...nothing to see here.

ChiefsFan4Life
05-30-2007, 02:33 PM
This is one of the worst articles I've ever read in my life. This had to have been co-written with Elizabeth Weir. It's a whole new level of terrible.

Why the hell would we want a roof on our stadium? Give me a break. Football is meant to be played outdoor. I'd like to see a similar vote go to Green Bay fans and they probably wouldn't want it either even if it meant a Super Bowl.

Let's just get to one with our own team before worrying about playing host to others. Can you imagine if that year the Raiders or Broncos happened to be in the Super Bowl? That would be a terrible couple of weeks in Kansas City.

blueballs
05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
If there is truely money to be made from having a rolling roof
there would be a rolling roof paid for by sponsors

Cochise
05-30-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm not normally one to take part in the front-office-and-friends bashing around here, but this is pretty damned terrible of them.

stevieray
05-30-2007, 02:58 PM
face it bob...the past eighteen years have reassured that our future doesn't have "big time" within sniffing distance.

bobbything
05-30-2007, 03:06 PM
All I can really muster up is "wow."

Maybe the focus of Gretz's anger should be on the inability of this team to get to the Super Bowl; rather than the Super Bowl coming here.

When was the last time you heard him call out the Chiefs for not getting the job done? Instead, he puts blame on the taxpayers for something that nobody cares about.

And what's with the "Cotton Bowl" reference? Stupid. If there was any event that was on par with the Cotton Bowl that might come to KC because of a rolling roof, why was it not mentioned in Gretz's article??

Smed1065
05-30-2007, 03:08 PM

In addition to not being able to afford to even go to the game/or anywhere in town for a week.

ChiefsCountry
05-30-2007, 03:12 PM
I think alot of you are pissed about the team but being able to host events 365 days a year at the Sports Complex would have been a better investment from the tax payers IMO.

Simplex3
05-30-2007, 03:25 PM
I think alot of you are pissed about the team but being able to host events 365 days a year at the Sports Complex would have been a better investment from the tax payers IMO.
The roof was stupid. The fact of the matter is the ends would have never sealed up properly. Also, football stadiums aren't built for basketball, concerts, etc. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember KC MO is getting an arena that might work for those types of events.

hawkchief
05-30-2007, 03:42 PM
In actuality, Carl has ruined KC's chance of winning a Super Bowl for the past 18 years. Suck it Carl.

GoHuge
05-30-2007, 04:03 PM
I think alot of you are pissed about the team but being able to host events 365 days a year at the Sports Complex would have been a better investment from the tax payers IMO.Well they said it could cost upwards of $1,000,000 to move it and properly seal it each time. There is a big glass building that Kansas City is putting downtown for that. It is scheduled to open in November 07......The Sprint something :drool:

Reerun_KC
05-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Well they said it could cost upwards of $1,000,000 to move it and properly seal it each time. There is a big glass building that Kansas City is putting downtown for that. It is scheduled to open in November 07......The Sprint something :drool:

And who would foot that bill? Sure wouldnt be the Hunts or Glass....

If you said taxpayers, then you would be correct!

StcChief
05-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Gretz forgets Carl would be gone by that time even If the Rolling roof was in place.

JohnnyV13
05-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Rejecting the roof was stupid.

The roof would have been paid for by taxes on the hospitality industry, which would not hit local taxpayer's pocket books. Do you get that....NO INCREASE ON KC TAXPAYERS. That tax would have been passed on to people who travel to KC. A Super Bowl would have brought enough revenue into the KC area to more than pay for the stadium upgrades, while paying back the hospitality industry with increased revenue during the event.

The hospitality industry didn't like it because the "payback" would come later while the increased taxes would come up front (in business, you always want to defer taxation). Unfortunately, the Chiefs didn't make it clear to taxpayers that the roof wasn't coming out of their pocket. THey said it, but did not convey it in a way that taxpayers believed it. You can see how the marketing failed by the reactions here.

To tell you how out of touch the Chiefs were, the team was afraid the roof issue would pass and the stadium improvement portion would fail. This sort of disconnect makes sense when you realize they were business types who quite logically thought taxpayers would be more likely to approve something that didn't cost them anything. Taxpayers, however, viewed the roof as an extra burden to them.

Phobia
05-30-2007, 05:49 PM
The hospitality industry can only bear so much tax burden. Why increase the tax burden for something few people want when we can reserve any future increases for something that benefits the city in more than a rolling roof for filthy rich owners? I'm a huge fan of football but even I don't care if the superbowl is played in KC. Call me shortsighted or whatever, but I don't really care. Whether the roof was practical, viable or otherwise the taxpayers voted it down and I hope they do again.

JohnnyV13
05-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Phil,

As I understood it, the tax would be a value added tax on hospitality industry sales. Not on their corporate profits, but essentially an added sales tax. Its very unlikely a percentage point added to sales tax would seriously impact their business. Its not like KC is a huge tourist destination. I suspect the KC hospitality industry comes mostly from local midwest states for short term trips, and business travel. Both of those are relatively captive markets that are unlikely to be deterred from such a tax.

Now, the law only would have applied to Jackson county, so those businesses feared a competition gap with surrounding counties. However, the extra tax would not show up on quoted sales prices, so would have less detrimental impact than you might think.

As for what benefit there could be for taxpayers...uhhhh...Super Bowls bring in over 1/2 billion to the host city. That money helps stimulate all kinds of small businesses, and puts money into the pocket of KC workers. (As in, gosh lots of people would be getting overtime gearing up for the SB). Of course, the "windfall" is somewhat erratic, but helps replace the money consumers invested for the stadium issue.

The NFL brings its circus to one league city every year. Why not have them dump their 1/2 billion in KC when we are already building the stadium.

greg63
05-30-2007, 06:14 PM
I wish this was unbelievable.

You know, I might feel more strongly about the Chiefs if it weren't for the automatic association you have to make with Mr. 20+ years without a ring.
Exactly, with King Carl as GM the only way that Kansas City will ever be associated with the Super Bowl will be to host one.

Phobia
05-30-2007, 06:19 PM
I understand there are financial benefits to hosting a SuperBowl. Then tax the hooha out of the event itself. Dump another $200 tax per ticket for the event - a 20% hospitality tax for the week before and after the superbowl, it's not like it will make a lick of difference to the wealthy who can afford to attend. Better yet, tax the crap out of the owners who are making a killing from having a team. Make them pay for it. I don't feel sorry for billionares when they can't get everybody else to pay for their toys. Not one iota.

htismaqe
05-30-2007, 06:28 PM
It's interesting to see all the anti-Carl sentiment in this thread while everybody ignores the REAL villain in this.

EDIT: I take that back. Phil mentioned it, without naming names.

JohnnyV13
05-30-2007, 07:01 PM
I understand there are financial benefits to hosting a SuperBowl. Then tax the hooha out of the event itself. Dump another $200 tax per ticket for the event - a 20% hospitality tax for the week before and after the superbowl, it's not like it will make a lick of difference to the wealthy who can afford to attend. Better yet, tax the crap out of the owners who are making a killing from having a team. Make them pay for it. I don't feel sorry for billionares when they can't get everybody else to pay for their toys. Not one iota.

That whole "sympathy" angle that Gretz uses IS really messed up. And its really bad persuasion.

Your idea is interesting, but I doubt it could be financed in that way. The roof has to be financed now, and needs a revenue stream NOW to pay for it. The team couldn't finance it that way, because they have no power to impose a tax such as you mention. IThe city couldn't do it on their behalf, either. (Meaning, the city can't impose a tax then simply funnel the revenue to a private party. The city CAN build the stadium with public money b/c the chiefs "rent" it from Jackson county). The city (and taxpayers) could finance it like that, BUT would have to take out a loan from some lending institution or a municipal bond issue. BUT, that loan would have to be paid in the mean time, so we would be in the same place (an immediate tax used to pay the loan).

I guess the hospitality industry fears that some future city official will continue the tax on their industry when the roof is paid for, simply because the system would be "used" to it by then.

I suspect if the chiefs could do it with a positive expected value, they already would have. Remember, there are league shares for the ticket revenue and the team doesn't capture the majority of the economic stimulus. THe teams' cash flow is much smaller than the city, and trying to finance a deal like this could really hinder its available operating cash to get free agents between now and the SB.

BY now, its pretty clear KC taxpayers simply won't go for the roof idea and further attempts are just hurting their public image.

gblowfish
05-30-2007, 07:41 PM
I can only say one thing about Gretz.
When you Google Images for "Bob Gretz Chiefs"
This is what you get:

ChiefsCountry
05-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Sprint Center cant have alot of the events that Arrowhead with a roof could. Look at all the events St. Louis has gotten with their crap dome. That and Savvis is filled all the time with events.

SNR
05-30-2007, 08:27 PM
I shot Gretz an e-mail to let him know how dumb he is. I even toned down the language, so I hope he posts it next time and tries to worm his way out of his dumbassery.

Demonpenz
05-30-2007, 08:32 PM
the villian is lamar

Valiant
05-30-2007, 08:51 PM
I am sure the influx of revenue to the city would of been nice, but not at the expense of the already over taxed taxpayers....

If the Hunts want a superbowl? Then the Hunts need to pony up the cash and build them a rolling roof.

I hear that... We would have to spend millions in local taxpayer money(mostly from homes) to foot the bill on the stadium and the only people to see that money back would be the businesses built for it, local businesses (who get tax breaks anyway) and the team...

The average person would get nothing out of spending the extra money for a stadium addition(roof) that they will not even be able to get tickets to or afford the tickets in the first place...