PDA

View Full Version : Boxer Puppy

thebrad84
05-30-2007, 03:47 PM
My fiancee and I are looking at dogs and I was curious if anyone here owns or has owned a boxer before. We would both like a dog that doesn't shed very much and is very playful and loving. We've also heard that some boxers have an issue with drooling. Any and all information on boxers from owners/previous owners would be appreciated.

BIG_DADDY
05-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Good breed. I would prefer an American Bully to it but they are still a good choice. Protective, smart and fairly low maitenance.

MOhillbilly
05-30-2007, 03:49 PM
very good defense against pitbulls.

Bill Lundberg
05-30-2007, 03:57 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=153453&highlight=boxer

Everything you need to know can be found here.

sondevil
05-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Great dogs other than the fact that they have horrible gas. So bad in fact that the pills that we bought for him had a picture of a boxer on the label.

Bill Lundberg
05-30-2007, 06:28 PM
I need some of those pills you mentioned. Tell me more about said pills, do they actually work?

Direckshun
05-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Phenomenal breed. Don't know if I'll ever own another breed.

Delano
05-30-2007, 09:46 PM
High quality food = less gas. My boxer farts often but rarely stinks.

Delano
05-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Also: www.Boxerworld.com (http://www.Boxerworld.com)

thebrad84
05-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Thank you, everyone, for responding with your testimony. This is our first dog, so we want to make sure we get the right puppy for both of us.

thebrad84
05-31-2007, 11:09 AM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=153453&highlight=boxer

Everything you need to know can be found here.

Thank you sir, I have read the entire post. From what i can tell, all previous/current owners seems to think they are the greatest dog out there...of course, their opinions might by slightly skewed. I'm hoping the one we get will make us feel the same way about the breed. Thanks for finding that and posting it.

thebrad84
05-31-2007, 11:11 AM
High quality food = less gas. My boxer farts often but rarely stinks.

Just curious, what kind of "high quality" food are we talking about here? How much does HQ food cost compared to the norm...I know nothing more than the standard bag of Iams or Purina.

Pushead2
05-31-2007, 11:28 AM
I would like a Boxer but I have an apartment. I want a english bulldog but they are too much money.

Delano
05-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Just curious, what kind of "high quality" food are we talking about here? How much does HQ food cost compared to the norm...I know nothing more than the standard bag of Iams or Purina.

There are many threads here that discuss good dog food. I would give Innova, Canidae and Timberwolf a look. Bunnytrdr is an expert in this field, so do a search through his posts for some advice.

As far as cost goes, if you do your research, find a good food that your boxer can eat (some have allergies) and feed the correct ammount listed on the bag, high quality food will be similar in price to grocery store foods like purina or iams. The quality is so much better, you can feed less and in the the long run, you reach a cost equilibrium.

Delano
05-31-2007, 11:36 AM
I would like a Boxer but I have an apartment. I want a english bulldog but they are too much money.

If you have easy access to a park and have the committment to taking a boxer out 3 times a day for a good work out, as well as all the trips to go potty, an apartment is OK (landlord willing). To avoid the housetraining period you can also consider rescuing an adult boxer.

eazyb81
05-31-2007, 11:50 AM

I want an English Bully too, I think that's going to be my next dog.

Delano
05-31-2007, 11:52 AM
Whatever dog you guys want, make sure to do all the research on health issues and special considerations for the breed.

El Jefe
05-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Boxers arent the best dog out there, you want to know what is...........Its the Miniature Schnauzer, a lot of people know my receant loss of my dog (RIP), I just got a puppy last saturday may 26th. We have breed miniature schnauzers, and almost every breeder knows you shouldnt let a puppy go before she is 8 weeks, some let em go at 7-7 1/2 weeks, we held our 8 weeks. I found an AKC registered miniature schnauzer female puppy, tail docked, dew claws removed, 1st shots and everything. We went to see the puppies, she had 3 puppies left all females. I didnt want a male, female mini schnauzers sell really quick, even though the males are cheaper to buy.

I priced mini's out and they run any where from 700 and up. I found some for 500 dollars but it cost you 300 for the breeding papers! So I found this ad in the Columbus Dispatch for the mini's and it said 300 dollars, I was very much a skeptic at the time. We went and saw they and they had legit papers really healthy and looked great. The problem was it was a very very low income white neighborhood that was about as friendly as a prison. She said she would get people call and when they found out where she was they wouldnt come. Well long story short I bought the puppy come to find out she is only 5 weeks on the day. So we have been feeding her a home made special "gruel" we make that has extra vitamins and they love it. You shouldnt sell puppies at 5 weeks IMO. The funny part is I feed her 5 times a day and she wakes me up crying at 3-5 am anywhere in there and I hate getting up but that what you get into with a puppy that young. I would have liked her at 8 weeks but her enviroment was pretty nast. The lady let them run free while at work, so they pooped and peed at will where ever they were. The smell was awful, so it was the puppies, the mother, and a huge pitbull all running around on their own accord. I love puppies, I just cant believe how many people on here have had a boxer, must be some awesome dogs, good luck with your puppy.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2007, 11:56 AM
I want an English Bully too, I think that's going to be my next dog.

Here in awhile I may be doing the same thing. I have an excellent connection out here and if you want me to look for you when I start looking for mine I will. They are some of the top bullies in the country and are bred in San Jose.

Delano
05-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Here is my boy at three months.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Here is my boy at three months.

Good looking dog. :thumb: Always liked boxers. I would get one myself if I wasn't so hooked on Bully Breeds

The Bad Guy
05-31-2007, 12:10 PM
I have a mini schnauzer and debated getting a boxer.Since my fiance had a schnauzer before, we went with that breed. Great dog, very protective, excellent watch dog. Not big, but full of life and energy. Cons are he doesn't play well with other dogs, barks at everyone he doesn't know. Doesn't shed, which is great.I didn't get his ears cropped because I think that's ridiculous and I won't cut him to look ridiculous like other minis.Overall, great dog. I'm sure we couldn't have gone wrong with getting a boxer either.

Lzen
05-31-2007, 12:13 PM
I have 2 boxers that are now about 7 months old. They are great pets. Very loyal and loving. Very good with the kids. They need to be walked every day if possible because they have a lot of energy. Otherwise, they will get bored and probably tear up stuff.

Oh, the thing with the gas. Yeah, mine had gas for a while. They hardly have it anymore since I switched to better food. Also, I think the lamb makes them fart a lot more than something like chicken.

They are also prone to allergies. There are a couple foods that help with that, though - Natural Balance and California Natural. There may be more, but these are the ones that I know.

I feel bad for my male pup I am on vacation in Florida right now. He has recently become my shadow. He will follow me around the home - upstairs, downstairs, the garage, everywhere. I have been gone for a week now and we had to leave them with my BIL. At least he has a boxer so they have something to keep them busy. I'll be glad to get back home to them on Saturday.

Lzen
05-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Also: www.Boxerworld.com (http://www.Boxerworld.com)

Great site. Lots of good info on there. Do you have a username over there? Mine is Arrowpup.

Delano
05-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Good looking dog. :thumb: Always liked boxers. I would get one myself if I wasn't so hooked on Bully Breeds

I would have picked up a pitbull if not for my wife. She loves boxers.

My dad raised pitbulls and I have many pictures of my little toddler ass sitting around with several of the dogs licking me. I always get a good chuckle out of the clowns that make a big deal out of "vicious" dogs when I think of my childhood. (off tangent before this gets pushed to DC)

IMO, a boxer is a good trade-off.

Lzen
05-31-2007, 12:20 PM
That is good looking pup, Delano. He looks like he is gonna be a stocky dog. He may end up being on the high end up the weight range for boxers. I think my male will be, as well.

Delano
05-31-2007, 12:21 PM

I feel bad for my male pup I am on vacation in Florida right now. He has recently become my shadow. He will follow me around the home - upstairs, downstairs, the garage, everywhere. I have been gone for a week now and we had to leave them with my BIL. At least he has a boxer so they have something to keep them busy. I'll be glad to get back home to them on Saturday.

That is one thing about Boxers, is that they are INCREDIBLY loyal and absolutely MUST be in their owners business. Otto is my shadow.

My wife uses boxerworld, and I generally do not, but I know it is filled with good stuff.

Micjones
05-31-2007, 12:21 PM
I've wanted a boxer pup for a number of years.
Thanks for all the great information.

Delano
05-31-2007, 12:23 PM
That is good looking pup, Delano. He looks like he is gonna be a stocky dog. He may end up being on the high end up the weight range for boxers. I think my male will be, as well.

Heh, I just realized I had taken that picture right after he took a leak so his body is kinda kinked around. He squats instead of lifting a leg. Does Arrow pee with a leg up or squatting?

Delano
05-31-2007, 12:24 PM
I've wanted a boxer pup for a number of years.
Thanks for all the great information.
If you are an active person, they are perfect. If not they are a handful.

edit: My neighbor doesn't take enough time for his boxer and that dog is mean and noone will walk down the sidewalk when he is out. I realized he needs some attention and when they leave him out in the yard I sneak in and give him some good attention.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2007, 12:31 PM
I would have picked up a pitbull if not for my wife. She loves boxers.

My dad raised pitbulls and I have many pictures of my little toddler ass sitting around with several of the dogs licking me. I always get a good chuckle out of the clowns that make a big deal out of "vicious" dogs when I think of my childhood. (off tangent before this gets pushed to DC)

IMO, a boxer is a good trade-off.

I like all the bullies

APBT
American Bulldog
English Bulldog
Bull Mastiff

Hell even the French bullies crack me up. I ahve awesome connections for the top 3 so I will probably always have those breeds as long as I have the connections.

Delano
05-31-2007, 12:35 PM
I like all the bullies

APBT
American Bulldog
English Bulldog
Bull Mastiff

Hell even the French bullies crack me up. I ahve awesome connections for the top 3 so I will probably always have those breeds as long as I have the connections.

That is a nice lineup, add in the Bull Terrier. I want to get that English off Big and Rob named Meaty. That dog cracks me up.

Pushead2
05-31-2007, 12:35 PM
I like all the bullies

APBT
American Bulldog
English Bulldog
Bull Mastiff

How much is a english bulldog from your connect? I am dying to buy one for my apartment.

tyton75
05-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Had 3 boxers over my lifetime, don't think I would get anything else...

I've only had one that had a drooling problem and that was because my parents would feed him from the table, so anytime we ate, he thought it was time for him to eat and would start drooling

JakeT
05-31-2007, 12:56 PM
I've got a 75 pd female - they are great dogs - one thing I'll mention for you though I grew up with Dobermans the wife wanted no part so we settled on a Boxer. I'd say they are equally smart but the Dobies #1 priority was to please the owner where the Boxer's is to please himself. Training can be a little more challenging.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2007, 01:04 PM
How much is a english bulldog from your connect? I am dying to buy one for my apartment.

there is a small group of breeders that all interact so they don't get inbred. They are in San Jose. Last time I checked they were 2k and up but that was a long time ago. They were the last ones to win in the Westminsters and they took top honors. They are great dogs. I was going to call on that this fall but I might as well start checking now. I'll get back to you on it.

eazyb81
05-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Here in awhile I may be doing the same thing. I have an excellent connection out here and if you want me to look for you when I start looking for mine I will. They are some of the top bullies in the country and are bred in San Jose.

Sure, let me know some details when you find out.

Lzen
05-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Heh, I just realized I had taken that picture right after he took a leak so his body is kinda kinked around. He squats instead of lifting a leg. Does Arrow pee with a leg up or squatting?

I don't know that I would call that squatting. My male just kind of leans his body forward and goes. No lifting of the leg. Looks pretty much like what yours is doing in that pic.

Delano
05-31-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't know that I would call that squatting. My male just kind of leans his body forward and goes. No lifting of the leg. Looks pretty much like what yours is doing in that pic.

Yeah, I guess kind of a forward lean. Good to know, thanks.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Sure, let me know some details when you find out.

I'll find out over the next couple days. Can't reach him right now.

Bill Lundberg
05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
They also enjoy car rides...

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2007, 02:01 PM

I say puppy ride and my dog just tards out. Loves going for rides.

Bill Lundberg
05-31-2007, 02:07 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pajpPCGgm4k"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pajpPCGgm4k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

El Jefe
05-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Cons are he doesn't play well with other dogs, barks at everyone he doesn't know. Doesn't shed, which is great.I didn't get his ears cropped because I think that's ridiculous and I won't cut him to look ridiculous like other minis.Overall, great dog. I'm sure we couldn't have gone wrong with getting a boxer either.

I agree with most of what you said, I havent had any problems with our mini schnauzers playing with other dogs, we had our schnauzers with different mixed labs and a few other breeds and havent had too much a problem, but havent experimented with it in great detail. My mom has had mini schnauzers for years and loved them and I got started on them also. I am with you though and I think getting their ears cropped looks ridiculous also. I was debating on buying another mini schnauzer, bull dog, and a boxer believe it or not. Bull Dog pups were selling for 1300 and up in Columbus. But there was only one place selling them and I guess they had pure blood lines for like 40 years. Thats how long that place had been breeding them.

Frosty
05-31-2007, 02:25 PM
My folks have a mini Schnauzer and must have gotten a lemon. The thing is smart as a box of rocks and about as trainable (at least the box will sit and stay if told). It also barks at every noise and attacks my grandpa's daschaund. They love the thing but I couldn't deal with it. :shake:

I much prefer my Aussie.

Lzen
05-31-2007, 02:27 PM

Definitely.

Fish
05-31-2007, 02:28 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pajpPCGgm4k"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pajpPCGgm4k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

That's awesome....

I don't know boxers very well though... do they drool?

I've got a friend with a Mastif, and when he takes that dog for a ride, there's always 5 ft. strings of slobber running down the side of the SUV... pretty funny....

Baby Lee
05-31-2007, 02:36 PM
I need some of those pills you mentioned. Tell me more about said pills, do they actually work?
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/customavatars/avatar2540_8.gif
My bad!!

ROFL ROFL

Bill Lundberg
05-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Mine has a dry mouth. The one I had before him was a bit of a drooler, I think it was due to a bigger problem. He had some major digestive issues after having a piece of wood lodged in his intestine. We had a surgery to have it taken out and he was never completely healthy from that point forward.

Pushead2
05-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Mine has a dry mouth. The one I had before him was a bit of a drooler, I think it was due to a bigger problem. He had some major digestive issues after having a piece of wood lodged in his intestine. We had a surgery to have it taken out and he was never completely healthy from that point forward.
:(

Bill Lundberg
05-31-2007, 02:59 PM
:(

RIP my boy...

El Jefe
05-31-2007, 03:07 PM
My folks have a mini Schnauzer and must have gotten a lemon. The thing is smart as a box of rocks and about as trainable (at least the box will sit and stay if told). It also barks at every noise and attacks my grandpa's daschaund. They love the thing but I couldn't deal with it.

Yeah must of got a bad egg there. I showed my miniature schnauzer in dog 4-h as soon as I could get in 4H, and that was when I was 9. I took her to the State Finals 3 times, I got 1st Place at the Hartford Fair Grounds Dog show 3 Times and won best of show. I showed her in all categories, including no leash at all, and she was hands down the smartest dog there. Of course I spent countless hours training her. Just to let the number speak for themselves, I showed in a class of 55 different dogs, and the best in show was won in a group of 100 or so dogs, so it wasnt a easy field. I showed her in all kinds of "fun shows", where you win stuff like pooper scoopers, dog toys, free dog food, and all sorts of stuff. I thought it was a blast showing in 4-H, although you spend a lot of time training, I was the record keeper for our dog 4-H for my entire career in 4H until I was too old to show anymore. Our 4H was called "Pups and Pals", ROFL.

jynni
05-31-2007, 03:55 PM
My folks have a mini Schnauzer and must have gotten a lemon. The thing is smart as a box of rocks and about as trainable (at least the box will sit and stay if told). It also barks at every noise and attacks my grandpa's daschaund. They love the thing but I couldn't deal with it. :shake:

I much prefer my Aussie.
A friend of mine had a mini Schauzer that was the same way. It barked non stop - there didn't have to be anything for it to bark at and it would still bark. Horrid little dog.

That said, prior to that terror, they had another mini Schauzer that was a perfect angel. They were both from the same breeder too.

El Jefe
05-31-2007, 04:00 PM
We have a schnauzer like that, its a dumb dog, my sister kept her, she was the runt of the litter. She will go out at midnight and just start barking for no reason at all. But we have had 6 schnauzers that arent anything like her, so I guess it just depends. But dont buy the runts of the litter.

Delano
05-31-2007, 04:20 PM
I've got a 75 pd female - they are great dogs - one thing I'll mention for you though I grew up with Dobermans the wife wanted no part so we settled on a Boxer. I'd say they are equally smart but the Dobies #1 priority was to please the owner where the Boxer's is to please himself. Training can be a little more challenging.

That is not my experience at all. :(

El Jefe
05-31-2007, 10:21 PM
How can I just take a picture from my pictures on my computer, and put it on here. I cant figure it out?

Delano
05-31-2007, 10:33 PM
How can I just take a picture from my pictures on my computer, and put it on here. I cant figure it out?

When you post a reply, click on "Manage attachments" link that is just above the "Submit Reply" button. Then when the new window opens up, click on "Browse" and find the path to your picture. It will probably be My Documents/My Pictures and then select the picture. After you select the file, press the "Add this File" button and then wait until it is uploaded. When the file name appears on a new line, you can press the "All Done" button and then Submit your reply.

thebrad84
06-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Thank you everyone for posting your comments. My fiancee and I decided to get a male fawn boxer. He is 6 weeks old and is a complete ball of energy for half a hour, then is a nothing more than a bump on a log for half a hour. Pictures to follow..if i can figure out how to post them.

thebrad84
06-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Chiefsplanet...meet Tyson

El Jefe
06-01-2007, 12:30 PM
He is 6 weeks old and is a complete ball of energy for half a hour, then is a nothing more than a bump on a log for half a hour. Pictures to follow..if i can figure out how to post them.

Boy that is a young puppy, mine is gonna be 6 weeks on saturday.Your puppy get you up early in the morning, whining?

Direckshun
06-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Chiefsplanet...meet Tyson
Fawn with a black mask.

Excellent choice, dude. Enjoy. Keep us updated with pictures.

thebrad84
06-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Boy that is a young puppy, mine is gonna be 6 weeks on saturday.Your puppy get you up early in the morning, whining?

Did you get a boxer as well? If so, what kind did you get and where?

Yes he did...he got us up about 5 separate times last night whining to be let out...did his thing, then wanted to play around for a bit. It was all to be expected for his first nights in a new home.

Yesterday he would be up for half a hour to play, then take a nap for 45 minutes to a hour. He is currently running around like a chicken with his head cut off, so im expecting a long nap to follow.

He whines every now and then when he's up and about, i think because he is looking for his brothers and sisters. We are getting ready to take him to the vets to get him checked out, we are a little concerned with him pooping so much and the consistancy of it (very liquidy). We talked to the vet on the phone and she is just worried about him becoming dehydrated.

Other than that, everything is to be expected with a new family member. We couldnt be happier with our selection so far.

Pushead2
06-01-2007, 01:16 PM
How much do Boxers for the most part cost?

thebrad84
06-01-2007, 01:26 PM
How much do Boxers for the most part cost?

He cost us $300 (breeder was asking $350) and he was the "runt" of the liter. I say "runt" because he wasn't that much smaller than the rest of the puppies, but you could tell he was a little smaller.

The breeder, whos been breeding boxers for 18 years, was asking $350 for the brindles, $400 for the female fawn, and $500 for the male fawn "champion" of the liter. Both parents were AKC registered pure breds.

I'd say between $300 and $400 is the average for a boxer pup.

Pushead2
06-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I wish I can find one like that around here in NYC, anyhelp anyone?

Rooster
06-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Thank you everyone for posting your comments. My fiancee and I decided to get a male fawn boxer. He is 6 weeks old and is a complete ball of energy for half a hour, then is a nothing more than a bump on a log for half a hour. Pictures to follow..if i can figure out how to post them.

Great looking pup. He looks so much like my dog Chase did when he was a puppy it is scary. My boxer is almost two years old and still thinks he is a baby. Mostly because he is spoiled rotten though. :) You will have so much fun with him. Good luck.

Oh, how are those puppy teeth? Sharp aren't they. :)

El Jefe
06-01-2007, 02:14 PM
He whines every now and then when he's up and about, i think because he is looking for his brothers and sisters. We are getting ready to take him to the vets to get him checked out, we are a little concerned with him pooping so much and the consistancy of it (very liquidy). We talked to the vet on the phone and she is just worried about him becoming dehydrated.

Other than that, everything is to be expected with a new family member. We couldnt be happier with our selection so far.

Are you using a different food than the people you bought him from? Sometimes that happens to them when they are adjusting to new food. Um to answer your question, my puppy is a miniature schnauzer, the other two puppies I looked at were boxers and bulldogs, but I have had some great schanuzers. Yeah puppies are funny running around all crazy and then they crash so hard, and sleep it off lol.