PDA

View Full Version : What is this called?

Phobia
05-31-2007, 01:15 AM
So I've been watching the food network for the past hour or so.

It made me hungry so I searched the pantry and fridge for some stuff to throw together.

The crock pot currently contains a couple lbs of browned ground beef, 10 cloves of garlic, a couple handfuls of cilantro from the garden, some red onion, white onion, arbol and guajillo chiles, jalapenos, lime and grape juice, and canned chopped tomatoes (sorry, I'm lazy and the stuff in the garden isn't ready yet). I figure there's plenty of flavor in there, so I merely threw in a few pinches of sea salt.

I'm making some brown rice with 3 cups of beef broth and a half a beer.

I'll throw the crock pot concoction onto the rice and devour it. The whole while I'll be wondering what it should be called.

I don't think it's a chili. It's some variation of beans and rice. I dub far too much of my stuff as "Cowboy" concoction so I don't wanna call it that.

What does it sound like to you?

Pitt Gorilla
05-31-2007, 01:27 AM
That's chili. Sorry.

Virtua Chief
05-31-2007, 01:30 AM
sounds like chili. sounds pretty good

Phobia
05-31-2007, 01:39 AM
sounds like chili. sounds pretty good

I expected midwesterners to call it chili. I don't put beans in my chili so I need to call it something else. Heh.

It's kinda medicocre tonight. I expect it to improve significantly overnight though.

Douche Baggins
05-31-2007, 01:42 AM
Put it over macaroni noodles and it's Cowboy Goulash.

bringbackmarty
05-31-2007, 01:47 AM
Call it barbara and jims ass bomb stew. Or jim and Barb's Colon Blow, Or Shit on an organic pringle.

ChiefJustice
05-31-2007, 02:04 AM
Rustler's Reward

Amarillo Armadillo Stew

Phobia's Phiasco

Screw it....throw in some beans and call it chili.

ClevelandBronco
05-31-2007, 02:12 AM

Sounds like you're a cook. Ignore these fools.

Tell us how it tastes, eh?

Otter
05-31-2007, 02:25 AM
Sounds almost like a gyro at this point.

ChiefJustice
05-31-2007, 02:38 AM
Sounds like you're a cook. Ignore these fools.

Tell us how it tastes, eh?

I think he was just looking for a creative name for his concoction.

As a chef,I often find myself in this same situation.You can't simply name a dish based just on it's ingredients or what it "resembles".

It requires a name that sizzles and pops.And your servers need at least
19 pieces of flair on their uniforms....or the fabric of society will collapse.

Phobia
05-31-2007, 02:50 AM
Rustler's Reward

Amarillo Armadillo Stew

Phobia's Phiasco

Screw it....throw in some beans and call it chili.

Those are good names. Thanks.

It has beans. But chili doesn't have beans (according to me).

Phobia
05-31-2007, 02:50 AM
I think he was just looking for a creative name for his concoction.

As a chef,I often find myself in this same situation.

Correct.

Are you a professional?

greg63
05-31-2007, 03:18 AM
Rustler's Reward...

I like this one.

SPchief
05-31-2007, 03:33 AM
86 the rice and sub noodles. Add in some corn and it's goolasch(sp)

SPchief
05-31-2007, 03:34 AM
I expected midwesterners to call it chili. I don't put beans in my chili so I need to call it something else. Heh.

It's kinda medicocre tonight. I expect it to improve significantly overnight though.

I'm a midwesterner and I think beans in chili is just wrong.

ChiefJustice
05-31-2007, 05:24 AM
Correct.

Are you a professional?

Yes, i am.I have been for the last 12 years.

Logical
05-31-2007, 05:26 AM
Did you really say grape juice? That really has me confused, cant be chili, but it does not sound like a western goulash either. You have me puzzled with how the grape juice fits.

ChiefJustice
05-31-2007, 06:04 AM
Did you really say grape juice? That really has me confused, cant be chili, but it does not sound like a western goulash either. You have me puzzled with how the grape juice fits.

How can it hurt?

You need some something sweet to compliment the spice.

Pushead2
05-31-2007, 06:07 AM
how bout

"Pie Hole Delight"

Simply Red
05-31-2007, 06:18 AM
:shrug:

"White-Trash Medley?"

ROYC75
05-31-2007, 07:04 AM
Phobia Hash .........

Hoover
05-31-2007, 07:11 AM
grinder

crazycoffey
05-31-2007, 07:19 AM
Bean & Meat soup

KCFalcon59
05-31-2007, 07:31 AM
Slop

edit: I don't mean that the dish is bad. I was a cook for many many years and when we were experimenting with new dishes our name for it was slop.

Fish
05-31-2007, 07:54 AM

I agree...

Not challenging your cooking abilities Phob... I know better.... but how the hell do 10 cloves of garlic and any amount of grape juice go together?

Nzoner
05-31-2007, 09:19 AM
How can it hurt?

You need some something sweet to compliment the spice.

Sorry,I know you're a professional but I couldn't disagree more,personally if I want spice I want spice,no sugar or anything sweet to help compliment it.

BCD
05-31-2007, 09:29 AM
If it has rice in it, it ABSOLUTELY cannot be called Chili. Just my rule, but whatever...

crazycoffey
05-31-2007, 09:38 AM
If it has rice in it, it ABSOLUTELY cannot be called Chili. Just my rule, but whatever...

Mexican Chili?

Nzoner
05-31-2007, 09:48 AM

Seeing I just noticed you started this after 2a.m. it sounds like you're drinking heavily again.

Fish
05-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Seeing I just noticed you started this after 2a.m. it sounds like you're drinking heavily again.

after 2am.... and he's been watching the Food Network for a few hours??

I think Phil is growing more in that garden than he's letting on....

tooge
05-31-2007, 10:03 AM
I make something similar with browned ground beef, cilantro, diced green chilis, soaked New Mexico dried chilis, diced tomato, onion and garlic. I add beef stock and not grape juice, and I call it green chili soup. It is mainly green in color. So yeah, green chili soup sounds good to me.

Stewie
05-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Melange

crazycoffey
05-31-2007, 10:10 AM
after 2am.... and he's been watching the Food Network for a few hours??

I think Phil is growing more in that garden than he's letting on....

maybe he visited a certain type of doctor in Mexico and now his outtie is an innie.....

damn jarheads.

Phobia
05-31-2007, 10:30 AM
I agree...

Not challenging your cooking abilities Phob... I know better.... but how the hell do 10 cloves of garlic and any amount of grape juice go together?

I was looking for a little sweet balance. I don't subscribe to all the "rules". I don't even know the rules, which is why I make some interesting stuff.

The garlic is a little strong this morning. I'm regretting so much garlic but I've never been a huge garlic fan anyway.

Phobia
05-31-2007, 10:30 AM

Well, I did drink half of the beer I used in the rice.

Phobia
05-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Another reason I threw the grape juice in was because it's time to go to the grocery store. If I'd had more lime juice, I'd have simply used that. But I only had a couple splashes of lime juice so I grabbed the grape juice too.

I'm surprised at the backlash to grape juice. I realize it's a unique element, but whats the huge difference between that and lime or apple juices which are used frequently for cooking?

jidar
05-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Judging by my wifes cooking the only thing that comes out of a crockpot that's worth eating is chili, so if it's good it must be chili.

Jilly
05-31-2007, 10:41 AM
you should just call it "stuff"...or "Phobe's Stuff"

Phobia
05-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Judging by my wifes cooking the only thing that comes out of a crockpot that's worth eating is chili, so if it's good it must be chili.
That's a shame. The crockpot is an invaluable kitchen appliance. When in doubt, dump half a bottle of Frank's on it.

jidar
05-31-2007, 10:43 AM
That's a shame. The crockpot is an invaluable kitchen appliance. When in doubt, dump half a bottle of Frank's on it.

A lot of it looks and smells good, but it all tastes so bland once it's been sitting in there all day.

Nzoner
05-31-2007, 10:46 AM
That's a shame. The crockpot is an invaluable kitchen appliance.

Yep and if in need for something simple yet delicious put in some pork chops,a can of mushroom soup and a little milk and let simmer all day.

Now I'm hungry.

Jilly
05-31-2007, 10:50 AM
starving...i want some of phobia's "Stuff"

Phobia
05-31-2007, 11:13 AM
All the names are pretty good. Except for the White Trash Medley suggestion. This is a sophisticated dish. I didn't use minute rice and a seasoning packet.

RJ
05-31-2007, 11:21 AM
That would be closest to carne guisada, I believe, though traditionally you would throw in some small diced potato.

NewChief
05-31-2007, 11:24 AM
That would be closest to carne guisada, I believe, though traditionally you would throw in some small diced potato.

I was thinking that it should have a spanish name as well. Definitely reminds me of a mexican dish. Should have pieces of steak in it instead of ground beef to qualify as a carne dish though, no?

RJ
05-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Here's a basic carne guisada recipe, though like most foods of this type there are many variations.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Carne-Guisada-I/Detail.aspx

BCD
05-31-2007, 11:29 AM
I love Chili, but I HATE kidney beans. They seem to be a popular choice around here. Some dipshits around here ask me what I use instead of kidney, I say, "Hmmm, I don't know, maybe CHILI BEANS!"

RJ
05-31-2007, 11:32 AM
I love Chili, but I HATE kidney beans. They seem to be a popular choice around here. Some dipshits around here ask me what I use instead of kidney, I say, "Hmmm, I don't know, maybe CHILI BEANS!"

Those are pinto beans.

ChiefJustice
05-31-2007, 11:34 AM
Another reason I threw the grape juice in was because it's time to go to the grocery store. If I'd had more lime juice, I'd have simply used that. But I only had a couple splashes of lime juice so I grabbed the grape juice too.

I'm surprised at the backlash to grape juice. I realize it's a unique element, but whats the huge difference between that and lime or apple juices which are used frequently for cooking?

Exactly.

In the end product,the grape juice will not even be noticed by most people.

But,like wine,when you taste it your palette wonders where that
sweetness came from before the heat of the chilies kicks in.

It's all about balancing flavor.

BCD
05-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Those are pinto beans.Yeah, I know. I was just trying to show the idiocy of some of the people I work with. Some people in Ohio actually disagree with me that beef from Iowa/Kansas/Nebraska, isn't is good as it is here.

RJ
05-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I know. I was just trying to show the idiocy of some of the people I work with. Some people in Ohio actually disagree with me that beef from Iowa/Kansas/Nebraska, isn't is good as it is here.

Do they eat the Cincinnatti chili over the spaghetti? I know kidneys were often served on top of that. I liked that stuff. It wouldn't be at the top of my chili preferences but it's still quite edible.

StcChief
05-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Southern and Texas style doesn't have Chili Beans

http://enhanced-recipes.tastingmenu.com/index.php?search_string=texas+style+chili

Pink should know this :)

Phobia
05-31-2007, 11:50 AM
I was thinking that it should have a spanish name as well. Definitely reminds me of a mexican dish. Should have pieces of steak in it instead of ground beef to qualify as a carne dish though, no?

I'd have loved to put some steak in this. I'm guessing the texture would be vastly improved. But, it's time for the grocery store. This dish was another of my garbage pail concoctions - just used what I had on hand, which is how it gets frequently.

Phobia
05-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Southern and Texas style doesn't have Chili Beans

http://enhanced-recipes.tastingmenu.com/index.php?search_string=texas+style+chili

Pink should know this :)

Hence my reluctance to call it chili.

RJ
05-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Carne guisada can be made with beef cubes or ground beef. The ground version makes a kick ass soft taco.

RJ
05-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Lastly, it is also close to a dish called picadillo.

Phobia
05-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Carne guisada can be made with beef cubes or ground beef. The ground version makes a kick ass soft taco.

Throwing this into a shell had crossed my mind as had putting it on a bun. I only have about 6 lbs of it so we'll probably do a little of both by the time it's gone. Heh.

stevieray
05-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Build a Turd

ROYC75
05-31-2007, 01:45 PM

Future bowl movement.

Nzoner
05-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Future bowl movement.

That would be an epic explosion.

88TG88
05-31-2007, 02:18 PM
:shrug:

"White-Trash Medley?"
ROFL ROFL

HemiEd
05-31-2007, 02:25 PM

the grape juice makes me want to call it "Wildcat Stew."

Logical
05-31-2007, 07:48 PM

Lime, lemon and orange juices are used for acidity. I don't know of any main courses that use apple. That is not to say there are none.

Logical
05-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Throwing this into a shell had crossed my mind as had putting it on a bun. I only have about 6 lbs of it so we'll probably do a little of both by the time it's gone. Heh.

Six pounds, hell call it Refrigerator Stew. Man that is a lot of leftovers.

Phobia
05-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Lime, lemon and orange juices are used for acidity. I don't know of any main courses that use apple. That is not to say there are none.
We use apple juice a lot in BBQ.

Logical
05-31-2007, 08:26 PM
We use apple juice a lot in BBQ.

I can see that working.

keg in kc
05-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Indigestion stew.

Phobia
05-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Indigestion stew.
It's really not rough at all. Most my stuff usually has significantly more kick.

Brando
05-31-2007, 09:42 PM
Has anyone suggested "Tasty Diarrhea?"

Manila-Chief
05-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Phobia's enhanced too good to be called chili special

or

Phil's clean out the frig dish

or

Phobia's Grape Delight

Phobia
06-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Build a Turd

Okay, I just discovered that's a pretty accurate name. I swear my colon is cleaner than it's ever been.