PDA

View Full Version : KC Chiefsí Offseason Round-Up

Smed1065
05-31-2007, 05:03 AM
So the offseason here in Kansas City has been nothing less than exciting. The Chiefs added some new faces, got rid of some very familiar ones, and welcomed back a fan favorite. Just by looking up and down the Chiefsí roster, any one who knows football knows that Kansas City has talent. However, this is the NFL and every team has 53 players with talent.

There are quite a few questions on mind of every fan in KC.

First off, who is going to be the starting quarterback?

After some pre-draft shopping around of Trent Green by the front office, Green still remains a Chief. Iím sure many would like to see Green step back into his starting role. Yet if Green plays like he did in his post injury starts of last season, the 2007 season may as well be flushed. The Chiefsí other options are the career back up Damon Huard and the unproven Brodie Croyle. Herm Edwards must be pulling his hair out over that one.

Another question that should have the Chiefs Nation trembling.

Will Larry Johnson get the ball over 400 times again this year, and if so, how long until he is on crutches?

After the loss of big Willie Roaf last season, the holes for Johnson to run through looked considerably smaller. Now the Chiefs are without Will Shields as well.

Just how effective will Larry Johnson be without those two perennial Pro-Bowlers in front of him?

I donít think anyone will deny that when Johnson runs the ball he looks like man among boys, but every play starts with the offensive line. With the line the Chiefs are working with for the 2007 season it would be tough to pull off an eight rushing touchdown performance like we saw against the Falcons a few years back.

Letís just say that the run game isnít as effective this year, the Chiefs will need to resort to an aerial attack. They do still have arguably the best tight end in the League in Tony Gonzalez, but his numbers have declined. They also have a sure handed veteran in Eddie Kennison.

And who can forget about our first round draft pick Dwayne Bowe?

All receivers with good hands and from film on Bowe it looks like he is by no means scared to go over the middle again and again. The Chiefs have three great possession receivers. Now if only they had someone who when he caught the ball everyone was sure he would not be tackled from behind. You know, a break-away player that can ignite a team in a split-second. Wait, they did, and now Dante Hall is in Saint Louis.

Ok so there are some questions for the Chiefs but as you can see they are all on the offensive side of the ball, which means we are now truly in the Herm Edwards era. The defense should be nothing less than stellar this season thanks to quite a few sensational pick-ups. The linebackers can now be considered a serious unit thanks to the additions of Napoleon Harris and Donnie Edwards who is now back for his second stint in the red and gold. Those two along with Derrick Johnson should be a force to be reckoned with all season long.

Of course with addition must come subtraction, some of the big off season losses for Kansas City were Eric Hicks, Ryan Simms, and Sammy Knight.

As far as Iím concerned the releasing of Hick and Simms just means that he coaching staff expects our second and third round picks Tank Tyler and Turk McBride to step in and contribute right away. Jared Allen will be serving his suspension the first four games of this season. That would be the suspension he got for his second DUI conviction.

Is there any reason for an NFL player to ever get a DUI?

Seriously, Iím no accountant but I think you can afford a cab. Mix in some sense and donít do things that will be detrimental to yourself, others and your team.

Like I said earlier we also lost another veteran in Sammy Knight and once again Iím not sweating over this either. And that is thanks to one man by the name of Bernard Pollard. This kid is about as impressive as they come. Itís almost like he was forced to watch game tapes of John Lynch for about three years straight. He flies around the field showing absolutely no concern for his body and puts a devastating hit on anyone within 15 yards. No receivers will be running routes across the middle against Kansas City for years to come.

If I had to give the Chiefs a grade right now just on paper they get a B- overall. The defense of course gets an A. If they are not one of the top five defenses in the league I will be floored. Gunther Cunningham is probably sitting at his desk in Arrowhead right now drawing up plays that with this defensive staff will make offenses cry.

As far as our offense I give them a grade of incomplete. Thatís right I said it incomplete. Their grade probably wonít be in until halfway through the season. Too many variables not enough constants for the offense. However the way things are looking right now, just keep Dustin Colquitt warm on the sidelines.

Link (http://www.seahawkshuddle.com/v1/portal.php?topic_id=15426) ---------------------------------------------------

Eric Hicks, Ryan Simms :)

John_Wayne
05-31-2007, 08:50 AM
I notice that he didn't say anything about the CBs. I wonder if he thinks they are a strength or a weakness?

Direckshun
05-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Optimistic fan. Like it.

Nothing he said was really out of the ballpark, but this clearly isn't a Top 5 defense yet. The DT is deep, but it's unproven. McBride may or may not pan out at DE. Harris needs to stay healthy. DJ needs to develop into a star. The safeties need to get a lot of experience in, and fast.

On paper, though, it looks like a top 10 defense.

Reerun_KC
05-31-2007, 09:00 AM
OUR offseason has been amazing... First time since DV came in have we loaded up on one side of the ball so heavely...

I am stoked about all the new younger faces and glad to see people like Hicks, Bartee and others gone.. Some of these cuts were long over due...

I am impressed with Herm and his desire to make the Chiefs much much younger and more competitive on the Defensive side of the ball. I also am excited about getting our younger offensive talent on the field this year.. But I am very concerned with his lack of desire or knowledge on the offensive side.... His game plans are well non-existent. Herm is a total 180 from DV and Co...

Looking forward to the season. Should be a fun year to watch this team grow... 6-10,7-9 should be real expectations for this team.. The playoffs are a pipe dream unless it takes a miracle of unimaginable sequences of events like last year to get us in... We dont need another face plant this early in a rebuild process... Players must have faith in the coaches and another post season embarrasement wouldnt help much.

Should be a great and exciting year....

El Jefe
05-31-2007, 09:47 AM
Good offseason IMO, we cut a lot of weight and got a lot younger. I am excited to see Turk and Tank this year. Maybe Bowe will just tear it up from the start.

FD
05-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Of course with addition must come subtraction, some of the big off season losses for Kansas City were Eric Hicks, Ryan Simms, and Sammy Knight.

I think he means addition by subtraction.

Count Alex's Losses
05-31-2007, 09:50 AM
There's waaaaaaay too much talent on this team to go 6-10. The only way we go 6-10 is if Brodie Croyle has some kind of Ryan Leaf season.

Count Alex's Losses
05-31-2007, 09:51 AM
BTW, who the **** wrote that? It reads worse than something on Wild Bill's site.

Reerun_KC
05-31-2007, 09:59 AM
BTW, who the **** wrote that? It reads worse than something on Wild Bill's site.

My first thought was you..... ROFL....

Count Alex's Losses
05-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Are you serious?

Reerun_KC
05-31-2007, 10:06 AM
Nope, just f*cking with you.

Buehler445
05-31-2007, 10:08 AM
I too thought this was overall not very good. I hope it didn't take the author longer than 15 min to write.

Count Alex's Losses
05-31-2007, 10:11 AM
I too thought this was overall not very good. I hope it didn't take the author longer than 15 min to write.

I am dumber for having read it. It literally made me angry.

Pushead2
05-31-2007, 10:13 AM
5 wins and I am impressed.

crazycoffey
05-31-2007, 10:14 AM
I am dumber for having read it. It literally made me angry.

welcome to our world.....

:p

Reerun_KC
05-31-2007, 10:17 AM
welcome to our world.....

:p

Damn I cant rep you agian.. But that was some funny Chit!!!!

ROFL

Dicky McElephant
05-31-2007, 10:18 AM

Maybe the guy who posted it?

Count Alex's Losses
05-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Smed wrote that? Jesus.

Reerun_KC
05-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Smed wrote that? Jesus.

I wouldnt throw stones GoChiefs, No offense, but your stuff is hard to read at times aswell...

Count Alex's Losses
05-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Bullshit. The last time I wrote anything approaching that level of illiteracy I was in grade school.

Reerun_KC
05-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Bullshit. The last time I wrote anything approaching that level of illiteracy I was in grade school.

Well one thing GoChiefs, you are always provide a good chuckle, good or bad. Your a good sport.

Count Alex's Losses
05-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Well one thing GoChiefs, you are always provide a good chuckle, good or bad. Your a good sport.

"You're."

And you have an extra "are" in there.

crazycoffey
05-31-2007, 10:36 AM

What? Last year?

Reerun_KC
05-31-2007, 10:41 AM
"You're."

And you have an extra "are" in there.

ROFL You didnt?

Jesus GoChiefs, if anyone should be correcting someone's grammer, It shouldnt be you....

Hell just us MS Word on you next article, press F7 when you are done and let the computer correct it for you...

Dont do that agian, you are just opening yourself up....

htismaqe
05-31-2007, 10:43 AM
But I am very concerned with his lack of desire or knowledge on the offensive side....

I would agree with the lack of knowledge argument.

But do you REALLY think Herm lacks the desire to field a good offense?

Dicky McElephant
05-31-2007, 10:47 AM

You didn't know? He hates the offensive side of the ball. His goal is to win games 3-0.

Reerun_KC
05-31-2007, 10:48 AM

No sir I don't, I also don't think he will take the risk or surround himself with the people that are not in his line of thinking about the offense.....

That is why Saunders wouldn't or couldn't of been retained as the OC...

You are only as good as the people you have around you... You can always use the argument that the Big Tuna hasn't won without Belichik....(spelling)

htismaqe
05-31-2007, 10:51 AM
No sir I don't, I also don't think he will take the risk or surround himself with the people that are not in his line of thinking about the offense.....

That is why Saunders wouldn't or couldn't of been retained as the OC...

You are only as good as the people you have around you... You can always use the argument that the Big Tuna hasn't won without Belichik....(spelling)

Saunders couldn't have been retained as OC because of SAUNDERS. It had nothing to do with Herm. Saunders wanted to be head coach.

You identified the problem with Herm -- risk.

He won't take risks in the playcalling. And he wont' surround himself with people that will.

That DOES NOT equal the desire to field a mediocre offense. You can bet your ass Herm WANTS to field the best offense in the NFL. He just doesn't have the know-how, or the intestinal fortitude, to take the risks necessary to build the NFL's number 1 offense.

bdeg
05-31-2007, 10:52 AM
You didn't know? He hates the offensive side of the ball. His goal is to win games 3-0.
"Let's not get this twisted... If ya got a good defense, all ya need's 3 points! If I tell ya it's Christmas, go start buyin me presents!"

Reerun_KC
05-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Saunders couldn't have been retained as OC because of SAUNDERS. It had nothing to do with Herm. Saunders wanted to be head coach.

You identified the problem with Herm -- risk.

He won't take risks in the playcalling. And he wont' surround himself with people that will.

That DOES NOT equal the desire to field a mediocre offense. You can bet your ass Herm WANTS to field the best offense in the NFL. He just doesn't have the know-how, or the intestinal fortitude, to take the risks necessary to build the NFL's number 1 offense.

Holy Chit? Did the sun not come up this morning? We actually agree on something...

Saunders is not headcoach material. He is more like a mad scienctist working and changing his invention to beat the other scienctist... Saunders will never make a solid headcoach...

Your last paragraph sums it up completely... That should be your signature line...

crazycoffey
05-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Herm is going to led us to a superbowl birth....

...it's part of his five year plan.

htismaqe
05-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Saunders is not headcoach material. He is more like a mad scienctist working and changing his invention to beat the other scienctist... Saunders will never make a solid headcoach...

See also: Mike Martz

Reerun_KC
05-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Herm is going to led us to a superbowl birth....

...it's part of his five year plan.

Not out of the realm of possibility, but he has to stop being Marty Jr and take a risk/chance.... Hell, if we can call the predectable plays, WTF do you think an NFL DC is doing watching Herm and Co try and operate a NFL offense on Sunday?

Herm has the talent at selecting players that produce... We will have the talent to win a championship in a couple of years with Herm drafting, but will he have the leadership to get them there is the question.

Buehler445
05-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Not out of the realm of possibility, but he has to stop being Marty Jr and take a risk/chance.... Hell, if we can call the predectable plays, WTF do you think an NFL DC is doing watching Herm and Co try and operate a NFL offense on Sunday?

Herm has the talent at selecting players that produce... We will have the talent to win a championship in a couple of years with Herm drafting, but will he have the leadership to get them there is the question.

I have heard, I don't remember who or where, that Herm buttoned up the offense because Green got dead, and Bennett broke himself, and he didn't think that the 1st year OC could hold himself together. While I can understand that line of thinking, I can't understand why he didn't open it back up much after Huard came into his own.

Hopefully that is the case, and he won't run LJ up the middle EVERY TIME this season. It's not a very valid excuse, but its all I got.

htismaqe
05-31-2007, 11:53 AM
I have heard, I don't remember who or where, that Herm buttoned up the offense because Green got dead, and Bennett broke himself, and he didn't think that the 1st year OC could hold himself together. While I can understand that line of thinking, I can't understand why he didn't open it back up much after Huard came into his own.

Hopefully that is the case, and he won't run LJ up the middle EVERY TIME this season. It's not a very valid excuse, but its all I got.

One word:

FEAR

Buehler445
05-31-2007, 12:05 PM
One word:

FEAR

Herm's or mine??

htismaqe
05-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Herm's or mine??

Herm's.

Buehler445
05-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Herm's.

That's what I thought, but I have a significant fear that the playcalling will not get better :sulk:. As far as Herm goes, I can't blame him for buttoning up the offense in the Denver game. I don't think anyone knew what he was capable of. But when everyone realized he had some game, they definitely should have taken the training wheels off. There were very few drives last season that seemed natural and not ultra conservative. The offense looked nice in Cleveland, before...heck I still don't know what happened in that game, and the last drive at Arrowhead against the Raiders, when Trent came out and made some nice throws down the field. Most of the rest of them seemed like they were forcing conservative plays.

What I want to know is who is responsible for the ultraconservative approach. Is it Solari's inexperience at OC, or is it Herm telling him to do so?

Reerun_KC
05-31-2007, 12:45 PM
That's what I thought, but I have a significant fear that the playcalling will not get better :sulk:. As far as Herm goes, I can't blame him for buttoning up the offense in the Denver game. I don't think anyone knew what he was capable of. But when everyone realized he had some game, they definitely should have taken the training wheels off. There were very few drives last season that seemed natural and not ultra conservative. The offense looked nice in Cleveland, before...heck I still don't know what happened in that game, and the last drive at Arrowhead against the Raiders, when Trent came out and made some nice throws down the field. Most of the rest of them seemed like they were forcing conservative plays.

What I want to know is who is responsible for the ultraconservative approach. Is it Solari's inexperience at OC, or is it Herm telling him to do so?

Funny thing, if you go back and watch the first game of the 05/06 season at Arrowhead vs the Jets and watch any of the Chiefs 06/07 season... You could swap that years Jets and our Chiefs and noone would know the difference... Their offenses were exactly the same.

Now you tell me, how could Solari call the same type of game plan that Herm has ran for years, when he was coaching with some of the brighter offensive minds in the league... Solari didnt become stupid overnight... Herm threw him under the bus in the pre-season.... Solari caved in and you saw the results...

Herm's offense hasnt changed nor will it... You could have Jesus himself as the OC and you will still have the same results with Herm...

Sucks, but just the way it is... Herm hasnt changed it in 6 years, he isnt about to start now...

Count Alex's Losses
05-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Jesus GoChiefs, if anyone should be correcting someone's grammer, It shouldnt be you....

This is a joke, right? You can't be serious. You're talking to someone who gets PAID to correct other people's grammar.