PDA

View Full Version : Damnit Skip!!

Mr. Laz
05-31-2007, 04:18 PM
so i called Directv and tell them about my massive rain fade issue etc.

they agree to come relocate the dish for the bargain price of $75. :mad:

then i tell them that the guy installed the dish low(4 ft off ground) because he said you can't shoot through the power lines.

then i tell them that "this other guy" that installs them for a living said that power lines don't mean anything because it uses a difference signal. That line-of-sight is the only thing that really matters.

the guy on the phone says that power lines should be avoided because they interfere with the signal.

:banghead: :banghead:

so which is it ....... do power lines block the signal or don't they?

crazycoffey
05-31-2007, 04:20 PM
what does this have to do with skip?

Mr. Laz
05-31-2007, 04:20 PM
skip = "this other guy"

keg in kc
05-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Skip: "I'm not actually a directdv guy, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night. The 'old' part is right on, though. And the pot. Oh damn, hell yeah, the pot."

Donger
05-31-2007, 04:22 PM
so i called Directv and tell them about my massive rain fade issue etc.

they agree to come relocate the dish for the bargain price of $75. :mad:

then i tell them that the guy installed the dish low(4 ft off ground) because he said you can't shoot through the power lines.

then i tell them that "this other guy" that installs them for a living said that power lines don't mean anything because it uses a difference signal. That line-of-sight is the only thing that really matters.

the guy on the phone says that power lines should be avoided because they interfere with the signal.

:banghead: :banghead:

so which is it ....... do power lines block the signal or don't they?

Maybe I'm nuts, but I doubt that DBS signals can pass through power cables. It's just RF.

crazycoffey
05-31-2007, 04:23 PM
skip = "this other guy"

And......

:p

Mr. Laz
05-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Maybe I'm nuts, but I doubt that DBS signals can pass through power cables. It's just RF.
according to skip "i've installed Directv for a living" it can.

crazycoffey
05-31-2007, 04:27 PM
when I had my direct tv installed after the move, the first installer said to use a "Y" connector from the one line coming in to my DVR (so I could record two channels at once) Guess what, it didn't work. I talked them out of the 75 dollar visit to come back out, and the new installer said the first was an idiot, something about different frequencies in the cables, it burned up the "Y" connector.

oh, my point..... I never thought to ask skip's advice. :shrug:

Donger
05-31-2007, 04:28 PM
according to skip "i've installed Directv for a living" it can.

I was under the impression that DBS signals won't even pass through glass.

If so, that'd be a neat trick.

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Skip is the resident cable guy.

crazycoffey
05-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Skip is the resident cable guy.

I know that, but see post #8.

|Zach|
05-31-2007, 04:48 PM
Seems like people I know with DTV have been having lots of troubles these days. It could just be because people talk more when things go wrong but it seems different. I remember having a good experience when my family had it a few years back.

crazycoffey
05-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Seems like people I know with DTV have been having lots of troubles these days. It could just be because people talk more when things go wrong but it seems different. I remember having a good experience when my family had it a few years back.

I love it, but I don't trust any of thier installers....

Bill Parcells
05-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Get Verizon FIOS if it comes into your area. direct TV(in a fiber optic cable)/Phone line/Super high speed internet(twice as fast as cable) all on one bill.

Skip Towne
05-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Power lines do not affect a DBS signal. Unless you have a humongous amount of them in a bundle and I've never seen that. I shoot through them all the time.

Skip Towne
05-31-2007, 05:30 PM
I was under the impression that DBS signals won't even pass through glass.

If so, that'd be a neat trick.
I've never done it but I've read they will shoot through glass depending on the lead content of the glass.

Donger
05-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Power lines do not affect a DBS signal. Unless you have a humongous amount of them in a bundle and I've never seen that. I shoot through them all the time.

I doubt you shoot "through" them. You shoot "around" them.

Skip Towne
05-31-2007, 05:36 PM
I doubt you shoot "through" them. You shoot "around" them.

Semantics.

Donger
05-31-2007, 05:37 PM
Semantics.

Accuracy.

the Talking Can
05-31-2007, 05:39 PM
urine

Coach
05-31-2007, 06:51 PM
urine

poop

Mr. Laz
06-04-2007, 03:26 PM
redemption for skip

1. got Directv to drop the $75 charge by mentioning Dish :)

2. the guy came out and move the DTV up on the roof and said that shooting through the power lines shouldn't be a problem.

fyi the signal strength is now about 5 points higher and sinces it's above the tree line we shouldn't have as much rain fade.

PBJ

Al Bundy
06-04-2007, 03:47 PM
redemption for skip

1. got Directv to drop the $75 charge by mentioning Dish :)

2. the guy came out and move the DTV up on the roof and said that shooting through the power lines shouldn't be a problem.

fyi the signal strength is now about 5 points higher and sinces it's above the tree line we shouldn't have as much rain fade.

PBJ
Name dropping always works... hell I dropped the "Laz" name last year and got free entrance to the KU USF football game.

Lzen
06-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Name dropping always works... hell I dropped the "Laz" name last year and got free entrance to the KU USF football game.

You were at that game, too? I was there with my wife and my 2 boys. Did you see Kawika Mitchell roaming the sidelines? I was like "holy crap, is that KW?" Of course, he didn't get the outcome he was hoping for. :p

Mr. Laz
06-04-2007, 05:53 PM
LMAO

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Damnit Skip :cuss:

Mr. Flopnuts
06-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Get Verizon FIOS if it comes into your area. direct TV(in a fiber optic cable)/Phone line/Super high speed internet(twice as fast as cable) all on one bill.

So if I get FIOS I can order Sunday Ticket? If so, I'm signing up tomorrow.

Logical
06-04-2007, 10:25 PM

ROFL not through power cable like that. The satellite signal down to the dish. Unless they are major power lines which could cause an eleectromagnetic field interference I am with Skip.

Pushead2
06-05-2007, 07:18 AM
So if I get FIOS I can order Sunday Ticket? If so, I'm signing up tomorrow.

Agreed.....I cant have satelite in my apartment complex. I don't think so.