PDA

View Full Version : Didn't take Atlanta long to start shopping did it?

blackhawk
05-31-2007, 04:22 PM
Will Green wind up in Atlanta?
Posted: Thursday May 31, 2007 10:12AM ET
One popular theory Wednesday was that Trent Green could end up in Atlanta, where the Falcons are unsure about the future of starter Michael Vick.
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/5113

Comments (12)

Didn't take Atlanta long to start shopping did it?

Ferrell1 | 05/31/07

Does anybody think Green can lead a team to the Superbowl, fill in for a couple games maybe, that's about it.

SpinachChin | 05/31/07

Besides last year, Green has been overacheiving with an undertalented receiving corps except Tony G since he's been in KC, so I could see him helping any team he goes to for a year or two....that's why he needs to end up in Miami.

True | 05/31/07

This is a fascinating development. It gives Carl Peterson a bargaining chip, although Green has his heart set on Miami (God knows why).

top5design | 05/31/07

Atl will be a better fit than Mia.

JTMeek | 05/31/07

I think Green is in better shape physically than most assume. We're not taking about Culpepper with his knee shattered three different ways, we're taking about a little head trama. If you tried to comeback mid season and play after that hit, you wouldn't be the same either. But Trent has always been a productive quarterback, even with subpar receivers. A training camp will be more than enough to bring him back to his old form. I think he'll be a good addition to Miami and gives them the best chance to win now. I don't think ATL is going to give up on Vick that easy, eventhough I would love to see him get cut or traded.

TheJazz | 05/31/07

Green would be a good fit in Atlanta, but he'll only be a filler until Atlanta could draft/trade for the QB of their future. Remember, Green is old too.

SARGE_78 | 05/31/07

To Sarge-78 - good scenerio, but we all know how the league likes to hang on to old QB's. They even go out of their way every off season to make new rules to insure that they become less like actual football players.

Ferrell1 | 05/31/07

"heart set on Miami"? top5design, what are you thinking? He was looking at Miami as a last resort. And SARGE_78, holy crap my man! You called him old while posting a photo of Bret Favre! He's a quality QB in need of more than just a TE. ATL provides, not just a decent reciever core, but he loses nothing in the TE as well. It's a win, win.

imntymout | 05/31/07

I have to agree with imntymout. SARGE_78, talking bout Green too old, but has a picture of Brent Farve up there, and he's trying to use a old one. Brent farve is as stale as a dried up plant (hint) he will just crumble into ashes when he gets hit, & I hope he gets hit HARD

Diplomatic Immunity | 05/31/07

Atlanta would be a good fit for him.

EJ | 05/31/07

Green is lousy!

pico de gallo | 05/31/07

the Talking Can
05-31-2007, 04:25 PM
Damn you Carl!

blueballs
05-31-2007, 04:30 PM
this could all work in Green's favor in the end
Miami sucks
What about the Vikes

Mr. Laz
05-31-2007, 04:33 PM
the more interest in Green the better

crazycoffey
05-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Go get 'em Carl....

KcMizzou
05-31-2007, 04:36 PM
Two talking heads were on ESPN a couple minutes ago saying that there's nothing to the Atlanta rumors. Said they'd talked to both sides, and it was all just wild speculation.

For whatever that's worth...

Mr. Laz
05-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Two talking heads were on ESPN a couple minutes ago saying that there's nothing to the Atlanta rumors. Said they'd talked to both sides, and it was all just wild speculation.

you make me sad. :sulk:

KcMizzou
05-31-2007, 04:38 PM
imntymout | 05/31/07

I have to agree with imntymout. SARGE_78, talking bout Green too old, but has a picture of Brent Farve up there, and he's trying to use a old one. Brent farve is as stale as a dried up plant (hint) he will just crumble into ashes when he gets hit, & I hope he gets hit HARD
Brett's lesser known little brother?

Baconeater
05-31-2007, 04:41 PM
this could all work in Green's favor in the end
Miami sucks
What about the Vikes
As far as I know, the Vikes are taking their chances with Tarvaris Jackson this year.

Anyong Bluth
05-31-2007, 04:50 PM
After sending Schaub off, Atl may need a QB quick given that he's about two c&nt hairs away from being indicted. This would give great leverage to us w/ both MIA and ATL. Not to mention, there's no rush to move Green, b/c there is a very good chance some starting QB is going to go down between now and the start of the season. Carl is dead on right to let this play itself out instead of giving into a player's b!tching simply b/c he wasn't traded on draft day- which is MIA fault since they decided to not go through w/ the trade they had agreed to in principle. Trent should be talking to Randy Mueller about his lack of faith in getting him down there, not everyone in the media that only further puts Carl's cred on the line.

Pestilence
05-31-2007, 05:00 PM
After sending Schaub off, Atl may need a QB quick given that he's about two c&nt hairs away from being indicted. This would give great leverage to us w/ both MIA and ATL. Not to mention, there's no rush to move Green, b/c there is a very good chance some starting QB is going to go down between now and the start of the season. Carl is dead on right to let this play itself out instead of giving into a player's b!tching simply b/c he wasn't traded on draft day- which is MIA fault since they decided to not go through w/ the trade they had agreed to in principle. Trent should be talking to Randy Mueller about his lack of faith in getting him down there, not everyone in the media that only further puts Carl's cred on the line.

They have Joey Harrington. You didn't know he was a God?

Anyong Bluth
05-31-2007, 05:10 PM
They have Joey Harrington. You didn't know he was a God?

I did, that's why Carl was looking at him. Joey Harrington just looks like a confused tard out there and ATL are going to file out of that stadium ASAP if he's the starter. Blank will flip his chit!

Sam Hall
05-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Miami is the only team Trent wants to play for.

Mr. Laz
05-31-2007, 05:54 PM
if another team was offering a starting job to trent, and the chiefs were ready to trade, Green would go imo.

Anyong Bluth
05-31-2007, 07:09 PM

MIA is the only team at THIS point Trent has agreed to restructure his contract should he be traded.

If, Atl cuts Vick or moves him (unlikely) or there is a clause in his contract based upon his off field conduct (also unlikely), Atl could have the cap room to take Trent's contract, as is, but I doubt they will. With the new off field conduct rules, Vick could be looking at a very long suspension would would mean the team would effectively not have to pay him, though it would count against their cap.

I don't know their (ATL) cap room, but I think if there is a workable deal for him to be traded to be a starter in Atl, and Trent says to Carl he won't redo his deal unless it's MIA, you're going to have one very spiteful CP. Carl's a smart man, no matter people's personnel feelings about him on here, but this could be a total Al Davis / Marcus Allen, bury him on the bench, situation.

That being said, at the end of the day, even if Carl wouldn't blink and take on Trent's salary just to prove a point, I know he'd be hearing it from the Hunts b/c it ultimately is a pretty steep price. However, unlike Lamar, Clark is a bit more ambitious in making his own name in the NFL, and his youth may serve to stand by this hardline decision much easier than his father.

Trent loses all goodwill anyone would have by his media stunts if he refuses to go to ATL, b/c he is being offered a chance to start for a team that has a greater shot of going to a super bowl than MIA would since its in the NFC, and MIA is not going to sneak up and pass a loaded AFC.

Sam Hall
05-31-2007, 07:17 PM
Trent really wants to be in Miami right now playing for Cam Cameron and learning their offense.

Brock
05-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Trent really wants to be in Miami right now playing for Cam Cameron and learning their offense.

Wow, we didn't know that.

Sam Hall
05-31-2007, 07:28 PM

don't be a douchebag

JohnnyV13
05-31-2007, 07:49 PM
Well,

Trent WOULD have to learn a new offense in Atlanta.

Sam Hall
05-31-2007, 07:54 PM
I'll believe Trent will be traded to Atlanta when I see it. It's going to take a wild scenario for that to happen. I'll leave it at that.

FringeNC
05-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Speaking of the Vick situation, I saw this comment after an article about the dog-fighting, and thought I'd share a laugh.

By REMEMBER, VICK IS AN EMPLOYEE OF THE NFL

May 31, 2007 1:37 PM | Link to this (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportstalk/entries/2007/05/31/are_vicks_days_numbered.html#comment-1279986)

The NFL can, and will, fire his black a*.

They don’t have to prove ANYTHING in a court of law.

The NFL is no more than rich plantation, why do you think the Jews that run the place hire Blacks to do all the hard work?

One of the “field hands” got out of line, and now he’s gonna get whipped.

Sorry to use the slavery/plantation metaphor, but that’s all the NFL is, and if you’re Black and a fan of professional sports you ought to be ashamed of yourself for supporting a continuation of slavery.

Skip Towne
05-31-2007, 08:21 PM
:LOL: Noobs

Skip Towne
05-31-2007, 08:23 PM
Speaking of the Vick situation, I saw this comment after an article about the dog-fighting, and thought I'd share a laugh.

By REMEMBER, VICK IS AN EMPLOYEE OF THE NFL

May 31, 2007 1:37 PM | Link to this (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportstalk/entries/2007/05/31/are_vicks_days_numbered.html#comment-1279986)

The NFL can, and will, fire his black a*.

They don’t have to prove ANYTHING in a court of law.

The NFL is no more than rich plantation, why do you think the Jews that run the place hire Blacks to do all the hard work?

One of the “field hands” got out of line, and now he’s gonna get whipped.

Sorry to use the slavery/plantation metaphor, but that’s all the NFL is, and if you’re Black and a fan of professional sports you ought to be ashamed of yourself for supporting a continuation of slavery.
I'd sure like to be one of their slaves.

Skip Towne
05-31-2007, 08:25 PM
I was close to playing in the NFL once. I only lacked one thing. Talent.

Ari Chi3fs
05-31-2007, 08:27 PM
He is going to Miami, Terry Shea is his gay lover. NTTIAWWT.

bigbucks24
05-31-2007, 08:58 PM
MIA is the only team at THIS point Trent has agreed to restructure his contract should he be traded.

If, Atl cuts Vick or moves him (unlikely) or there is a clause in his contract based upon his off field conduct (also unlikely), Atl could have the cap room to take Trent's contract, as is, but I doubt they will. With the new off field conduct rules, Vick could be looking at a very long suspension would would mean the team would effectively not have to pay him, though it would count against their cap.

I don't know their (ATL) cap room, but I think if there is a workable deal for him to be traded to be a starter in Atl, and Trent says to Carl he won't redo his deal unless it's MIA, you're going to have one very spiteful CP. Carl's a smart man, no matter people's personnel feelings about him on here, but this could be a total Al Davis / Marcus Allen, bury him on the bench, situation.

That being said, at the end of the day, even if Carl wouldn't blink and take on Trent's salary just to prove a point, I know he'd be hearing it from the Hunts b/c it ultimately is a pretty steep price. However, unlike Lamar, Clark is a bit more ambitious in making his own name in the NFL, and his youth may serve to stand by this hardline decision much easier than his father.

Trent loses all goodwill anyone would have by his media stunts if he refuses to go to ATL, b/c he is being offered a chance to start for a team that has a greater shot of going to a super bowl than MIA would since its in the NFC, and MIA is not going to sneak up and pass a loaded AFC.
Maybe I don't understand how the conduct clause fits with the salary cap. My understanding is that if Vick is cut/traded/contract voided/sent to prison, the remainder of his pro-rated signing bonus is charged against the cap. If it is done after June 1st, the charge is spread over 2 years. So, Mike signed a 10 year contract with a $37 million signing bonus. The salary cap is charged $3.7 million per year for that bonus. He has 7 years remaining on that contract, si if he were cut today, the cap hit would be $26.9 million. That's without paying him a dime in salary. That's just the cap hit for the reaminder of the signing bonus. If he is cut in 1 hour (June 1st), the hit is taken over 2 years, or $12.95 million per year. I doubt that a team taking a $13 million cap hit for someone not there would be able to take on a $7.2 million contract--for someone playing the same position as the guy that is not there.

That's my understanding anyway.

bigbucks24
05-31-2007, 09:01 PM

OK. How about this trade scenerio:

Miami gets Trent
Atl gets Daunte
KC gets Atl's 4th rounder.

Daunte is not a great fit for the Miami offense and Trent is. Daunte might be a better fit for the Atl offense, though I don't know what that is at this point. KC gets it's coveted 4th, Carl looks like a King and the KC fans scream, "I TOLD YOU SO!"

pikesome
05-31-2007, 09:09 PM
OK. How about this trade scenerio:

Miami gets Trent
Atl gets Daunte
KC gets Atl's 4th rounder.

Daunte is not a great fit for the Miami offense and Trent is. Daunte might be a better fit for the Atl offense, though I don't know what that is at this point. KC gets it's coveted 4th, Carl looks like a King and the KC fans scream, "I TOLD YOU SO!"

Daunte is damaged goods, Atlanta would have to be fairly sure he could play well to want in on this deal. Culpepper probably won't play for Miami why would Atlanta think he could play there?

Ultra Peanut
05-31-2007, 09:44 PM
THANK DOG