PDA

View Full Version : Fried Pickles, a KC BBQ specialty item?

Logical
05-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Anyone ever have such a thing at a KC BBQ restaurant or dive?

You can revoke my man card but when Emeril did a show on KC BBQ I felt obligated to watch.

dirk digler
05-31-2007, 07:54 PM
I haven't bought them in KC but in Sedalia, MO there is a good BBQ that has fried pickles. Damn good IMO.

Logical
05-31-2007, 08:34 PM
I haven't bought them in KC but in Sedalia, MO there is a good BBQ that has fried pickles. Damn good IMO.

Interesting, so at least the region has them.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-31-2007, 08:35 PM
One place in town here in Illinois... a bar... has them. Haven't tried one.

Simply Red
05-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Had them in Ga. I forget where, Right now...

keg in kc
05-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Jazz (that's a cajun place for non-locals) has them. I've had them from a barbecue place in the last 5 or 6 years, too, but I can't remember where. It would've been back when I lived close to Raytown, or maybe even when I was in the northland. Thought it might be smokehouse, but it's not on their menu.

Demonpenz
05-31-2007, 08:48 PM
i think they have em at a local fast food place in joetown. Ford's or for nzoner henry's

NewChief
05-31-2007, 08:51 PM
One of our BBQ places has them.

They also have battered fries, which are disgusting. It's basically like wrapping a french fry in funnel cake batter. I'll eat some pretty unhealthy shit, but those things take it too far for even my tastes.

keg in kc
05-31-2007, 08:52 PM
I've always wanted to try friend candy bars, like a milky way. Hear they're brutally good.

DaFace
They used to sell them as a special at Sonic in my home town for a while. I don't think they do it anymore though.

Phobia
I've never made them but I'd had 'em. I wouldn't go out of my way for them.

On a different but kinda related note, I grilled some sweet potato fries tonight. Oh my.

JeromeFedEX
05-31-2007, 08:53 PM
never had them, really dont intend to ever have them either, I also watched the episode and thought WTF?????

keg in kc
05-31-2007, 08:55 PM
I love sweet potato fries.

I haven't been there in several years, but the Lucky Brewgrille in Mission had the best ones I've ever had the pleasure of eating.

Logical
05-31-2007, 08:55 PM
never had them, really dont intend to ever have them either, I also watched the episode and thought WTF?????Pretty much my reaction.

DaFace
05-31-2007, 08:56 PM
They're not bad, but I can only eat a few of them before I get sick of them.

RJ
05-31-2007, 08:56 PM
I'd try one in a heartbeat if I had the chance.

I like pickles, I like fried food.......sounds like a good pairing to me.

jiveturkey
05-31-2007, 08:57 PM
I've always wanted to try friend candy bars, like a milky way. Hear they're brutally good.Indeed they are.

The fried Twinkie treat is another one you should try.

Saulbadguy
05-31-2007, 09:05 PM
They have them around here. They are very tasty.

Phobia
05-31-2007, 09:08 PM
I love sweet potato fries.

I haven't been there in several years, but the Lucky Brewgrille in Mission had the best ones I've ever had the pleasure of eating.

We had some recently at The Majestic in Zona Rosa. Pretty decent eats. I preferred our grilled version, but the fried stuff was good too.

chop
05-31-2007, 09:12 PM
I had them in Tuscaloosa Alabama. They are better than they sound. A little ranch dressing to dip them and you're all set.

Smed1065
05-31-2007, 09:16 PM
I have had them and think they are good but better while hot.

Phobia
05-31-2007, 09:20 PM
It's all about the batter. If the batter tastes good, they'll be pretty good.

grandllama
05-31-2007, 09:36 PM
So here's my one post for the month Jim...

Yeah, I've heard of them, hell I actually kind of enjoy eating them, but I don't think they are isolated to the KC area...

There is a dive bar here in Indy I go to that serves them, and the bar I managed in Warrensburg served them.

Sonic Drive Ins used to serve them... they were called Pickle-O's... battered in the same stuff that we battered the onion rings in...

I've never seen them at a BBQ joint though....

Baconeater
05-31-2007, 09:40 PM
I know I've seen them around here, but I've never tried them.

Brando
05-31-2007, 09:40 PM
Wesport Flea Market has some outstanding ones. I must be pregnant because I'm craving pickles all of a sudden.

NewChief
06-01-2007, 04:59 AM
I've never made them but I'd had 'em. I wouldn't go out of my way for them.

On a different but kinda related note, I grilled some sweet potato fries tonight. Oh my.

I can't remember the last time I used a regular potato for anything. We eat sweet potatoes probably twice a week, though. Baked, grilled, fried, boiled, cubed, sliced, mashed; it's hard to go wrong with them. On top of that, they're about 20 times better for you than regular potatoes.

Mile High Mania
06-01-2007, 06:32 AM
I've had fried pickles .. it's definitely a southern thing. If done right with sweet pickles, they rock.

tomahawk kid
06-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Hayward's BBQ in OP makes a mean sweet potato fry......

Simply Red
06-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Okay I remember where I had them, Smoke-Jack BBQ on the square in Alpharetta, Ga.

InChiefsHell
06-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Dundee Deli here in Omaha introduced them a few years back...they're actually pretty damn good.

Simply Red
06-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Okay I remember where I had them, Smoke-Jack BBQ on the square in Alpharetta, Ga.
http://www.smokejackbbq.com/

dirk digler
06-01-2007, 07:54 AM
On a side note about pickles, why does every BBQ joint give you a pickle on the side? It is one of those things I have yet to understand and was curious if there was a reason for it.

tomahawk kid
06-01-2007, 07:57 AM
On a side note about pickles, why does every BBQ joint give you a pickle on the side? It is one of those things I have yet to understand and was curious if there was a reason for it.

Cause it takes good with the Q, man.

gblowfish
06-01-2007, 09:08 AM
I don't think any of the top drawer BBQ places in KC have "fried pickles" on the menu. It's kind of a novelty thing, certainly not the kind of thing you'd want to eat every day. Sometimes you see them at the Missouri State Fair. It's more a southern thing.

Gates BBQ has Yammer 'sweet potato" pie, and I think there's a couple of BBQ places here in town that have offered sweet potato fries. Some BBQ places here in town have unusual stuff.

Gates does mutton, which is chopped lamb. Fiorella's Jack Stack does BBQed fish. Several of the BBQ joints offer burnt ends, which are the charred end pieces of brisket. Burnt ends are actually pretty popular, although they're usually pretty greasy.

gblowfish
06-01-2007, 09:11 AM

I asked one of the BBQ owners here about that once. It's so you can "cleanse the palette" between different dishes. Example, eat some BBQ beans, have a pickle chip, then tear into the ribs. Plus they're just a nice tasty side. I think Gates has the best dill slices. Zarda gives you a limp dill spear, not very good.
Bryant's has good dill slices too.

Stewie
06-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Gates does mutton, which is chopped lamb.

Mutton is actually from the full grown sheep. It's much tougher, and nasty tasting in comparison to lamb... IMO.

StcChief
06-01-2007, 09:31 AM
meh. I was underwelmed

dirk digler
06-01-2007, 09:59 AM
I asked one of the BBQ owners here about that once. It's so you can "cleanse the palette" between different dishes. Example, eat some BBQ beans, have a pickle chip, then tear into the ribs. Plus they're just a nice tasty side. I think Gates has the best dill slices. Zarda gives you a limp dill spear, not very good.
Bryant's has good dill slices too.

Ok that makes sense I guess. Thanks

KC Kings
06-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Wesport Flea Market has some outstanding ones. I must be pregnant because I'm craving pickles all of a sudden.
I heard that Go Chiefs craves the pickle also.
NTTATWWT