PDA

View Full Version : Chris Terry off the hook!

Douche Baggins
05-31-2007, 10:38 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/131466.html

Shields may be gone, but the team still expects to have an experienced crew up front.

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

From unwanted drama at quarterback to uncertainty over the futures of Jared Allen and Larry Johnson, the Chiefs have their share of concerns.

But as they begin a three-day minicamp today, their offensive line isn’t one of them.

The Chiefs might have lost their second Pro Bowl lineman in two years with the retirement of Will Shields. They are still quietly optimistic their line, for so many seasons among the best in the league, will improve from last season.

“The cupboard is definitely not bare,” said guard Brian Waters, the remaining Pro Bowl lineman. “We did a good job of finding guys that will be good for us. We’ll be able to do all of the things we like to do. We’re still going to be a very efficient running team.”

Their optimism might be more than just a case of wishful thinking. They are planning to line up five guys who have been accomplished players at some point in their careers.

That includes Waters at right guard and Casey Wiegmann at center, both longtime starters for the Chiefs at those positions.

They added Damion McIntosh, a six-year starter for San Diego and Miami, as the new left tackle. The Chiefs made McIntosh their free-agent priority, bringing him to Kansas City moments after the market opened and signing him before he could move on for another visit.

John Welbourn, a right tackle for the Chiefs in recent years, will shift into Shields’ spot at right guard.

Chris Terry, who started earlier in his career with Carolina and Seattle, is the right tackle.

“For what they had set as far as a standard, we want to come in and add to that,” McIntosh said. “We want to continue that tradition.”

The Chiefs believe McIntosh and Terry will be big improvements at tackle. The Chiefs used the often overmatched Jordan Black on the left side and tried four different starters, mostly without success, on the right.

They don’t expect Welbourn to be as efficient as Shields, a 12-time Pro Bowler. They do expect him to play better for them at guard than he did as a tackle.

Welbourn started at guard for Philadelphia for four seasons before joining the Chiefs. He wasn’t going to win a job from Waters or Shields, so the Chiefs tried him at tackle.

“Guard is a more natural spot for him,” Waters said. “He’ll be a real good player for us there.”

Terry joined the Chiefs at midseason last year but rarely played. He hadn’t played in the NFL since 2004.

“I had been out for a little while, so it was just good to be back again even if I wasn’t playing that much,” he said. “I was enjoying it. I wasn’t disappointed. Now I’ve got the chance to play again, and I’m excited about it.”

There’s no small amount of risk in counting on Terry and Welbourn. Terry had a warrant issued for his arrest this spring in DeKalb County, Ga., after he failed to appear for a court hearing in connection with an alleged altercation between Terry and a woman at a bar.

Terry said the case has been resolved and it won’t cause him to miss any of the season.

Welbourn was twice suspended by the NFL for violations of the steroid policy.

He retired last year but later changed his mind and was reinstated.

“They made some decisions which they would probably like to do differently,” coach Herm Edwards said. “That’s in the past. I coach the guys that are here. It’s just like if a guy gets hurt. We’ve got to get the next guy in. We can’t worry about that stuff.”

The Chiefs are more concerned about depth. Of the backups, only Chris Bober, a center and guard, has significant experience.

“We don’t know about the young guys,” Edwards said. “They haven’t had a lot of playing time. Most of them have been here, and hopefully they will develop into what we think they will be. That’s always the unknown: What step will these guys take? It’s always hard this time of the year because drills are one thing. When you put the pads on at training camp, then you really see what you’ve got. That’s where it gets interesting.”

Bowser
05-31-2007, 10:42 PM
Huh. That is good news.

Have they officially listed Will Svitek as a left or right tackle?

Douche Baggins
05-31-2007, 10:44 PM
Huh. That is good news.

There's no depth chart. It'll get sorted out in training camp.

I'm guessing we go into the season like this:

McIntosh
Svitek

Waters
Bober

Wiegmann
Niswanger

Welbourn
Stallings

Terry
Kevin Sampson/Herb Taylor

Bowser
05-31-2007, 10:46 PM
I completely forgot about Sampson. Wonder if the rookie Taylor will push him off the roster.....

Smed1065
05-31-2007, 10:47 PM
I noticed last week it was out of the computer here in Atlanta.

Good!

Delano
GoChiefs, do you have the proper credentials to interview players yet?

chiefbowe82
16-0

Douche Baggins
I completely forgot about Sampson. Wonder if the rookie Taylor will push him off the roster.....

You might see Sampson at guard, too. And Stallings on the PS.

bdeg
That includes Waters at right guard

John Welbourn, a right tackle for the Chiefs in recent years, will shift into Shields’ spot at right guard.

Might want to fix that.

Great news about Terry though.

Douche Baggins
05-31-2007, 10:48 PM
GoChiefs, do you have the proper credentials to interview players yet?

I'm sure I could swing it, why?

Douche Baggins
05-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Might want to fix that.

Warpaint would never make that mistake.

Delano
05-31-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm sure I could swing it, why?

I havn't read all of your articles, but I am curious how they will read if you are able to do some interviews or ask questions at press conferences.

Douche Baggins
05-31-2007, 10:52 PM
I havn't read all of your articles, but I am curious how they will read if you are able to do some interviews or ask questions at press conferences.

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/634489.html

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/555837.html

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/552755.html

Direckshun
05-31-2007, 10:57 PM
That is fantastic news! Wow, that takes a load off my mind.

So now we're going into a season where we've got a second year QB, young unprovens at RB and WR, and a burgeoning defense, and we'll likely have an OL that won't be particularly strong, but won't be a vastly exposed weakness.

LT -- McIntosh, Svitek
LG -- Waters, Bober/Taylor
C -- Wiegmann, Niswanger
RG -- Welbourne, Bober
RT -- Terry, Sampson/Taylor

Our starting OL is the epitome of stop-gap, with the exception of Waters, but it's experienced and proven. All our backups are young guys with promise, with the exception of Bober.

Hell, it's likely we'll be improved at OL this year. We definitely are at OT.

chiefbowe82
05-31-2007, 11:01 PM
QBOTF
Great young RB
young tough-nosed FB
Hall of Fame TE with 5 years left
1st round WR
sure handed veteran Eddie Kennison
improving Oline......old
great DE's...young
hopefully solid DT'S
Great LB core....young, moderate, old
Great young safetys
Old worn down but reliable cornerbacks

next year focus-
Offensive Line
Cornerback
Wide Receiver

Direckshun
05-31-2007, 11:07 PM
QBOTF
Great young RB
young tough-nosed FB
Hall of Fame TE with 5 years left
1st round WR
sure handed veteran Eddie Kennison
improving Oline......old
great DE's...young
hopefully solid DT'S
Great LB core....young, moderate, old
Great young safetys
Old worn down but reliable cornerbacks

next year focus-
Offensive Line
Cornerback
Wide Receiver
Let's hope Croyle pans out.

If he does, we're a lot closer to where we want to be than just about anybody thought.

keg in kc
05-31-2007, 11:23 PM
A few weeks ago when I was talking about why I didn't think he was in any trouble, it was because I had assumed something like this had happened. An athlete in trouble is news, and the fact that #1, he had a history and #2 the initial local story aired (in Atlanta, not here) but then nothing else happened for weeks told me that it was either settled out of or thrown out of court. Even if the national media didn't bite (and I think they would have) KC media would have been all over it from the first minute if there was any substance to it,

Direckshun
05-31-2007, 11:25 PM
I remember having that conversation with you, kegs.

chiefbowe82
05-31-2007, 11:28 PM
Well if you get right down to it Chris Terry is who they thought he was and they let him off the hook! (Dennis Green)

splatbass
05-31-2007, 11:32 PM
young unprovens at RB and WR

LJ is unproven?

RadeAM
05-31-2007, 11:33 PM
I would like to inquire a chat.

Direckshun
05-31-2007, 11:36 PM
LJ is unproven?
No, but this season will be a great chance for Kolby Smith to get some time at both RB and FB. Maybe Derrick Ross at RB a little. And get Grigsby on the field at FB so we can see whether or not he's worth the roster spot.

If all goes as we hope, we've got the backfield set. The only update left would be to replace Bennett if/when that guy bites it, and Ross may just yet be that guy. Who knows.

ChiefsCountry
05-31-2007, 11:37 PM
I still think we need to draft a OT next year. Barry Richardson out of Clemson is probally be in our slot more than likely.

Direckshun
05-31-2007, 11:40 PM
I still think we need to draft a OT next year. Barry Richardson out of Clemson is probally be in our slot more than likely.
We can (and should) literally draft anywhere on the OL. There is no position that cannot be updated with a good first-round stud, except for Brian Waters at LG.

McIntosh can play OG if we draft a stud LT. Welbourne can play OT if we draft a stud OG. We can find a stud OC, or Wiegmann will give us another year if we let him.

Rebuilding the OL got a looooot easier with Terry getting off the hook.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-01-2007, 12:50 AM
I'd pretty much guarantee that Boomer won't make the squad as a FB. With Smith's versatility and an emerging Bigfoot, he's camp fodder.

RadeAM
06-01-2007, 12:51 AM
BEEN STANDIN' AROUND SUCKING ON MY BIG OL' CHILIDOG!

Douche Baggins
06-01-2007, 12:51 AM
I'd pretty much guarantee that Boomer won't make the squad as a FB.

He was on the cover of Warpaint. He's doomed.

RadeAM
06-01-2007, 12:52 AM

Direckshun
06-01-2007, 12:53 AM
I'd pretty much guarantee that Boomer won't make the squad as a FB. With Smith's versatility and an emerging Bigfoot, he's camp fodder.
I haven't seen enough from Bigfoot to determine that he's a good goal-line mauler that we'll need.

Smith might be that guy, I don't know a whole lot about him. But unless he fits the bill to a T in training camp, I'm willing to bet Boomer's on the squad.

RadeAM
06-01-2007, 12:53 AM

Phobia
06-01-2007, 12:56 AM
He was on the cover of Warpaint. He's doomed.

Truth.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-01-2007, 12:56 AM
I haven't seen enough from Bigfoot to determine that he's a good goal-line mauler that we'll need.

Smith might be that guy, I don't know a whole lot about him. But unless he fits the bill to a T in training camp, I'm willing to bet Boomer's on the squad.

With a 53 man roster, why waste a spot on a converted FB project when you already have LJ, Bennett, Smith/Ross at RB and Bigfoot/Smith at FB, and Dunn, Tony, Bigfoot at TE??

Unless he shows a lot of promise on ST (has he??), he's simply not worth a spot.

RadeAM
06-01-2007, 12:57 AM
STFU HOE

Direckshun
06-01-2007, 12:57 AM
You need a mauler FB for the i formation, which if I remember correctly, oh yeah that's a pretty big part of our offense.

Tribal Warfare
06-01-2007, 06:37 AM
You need a mauler FB for the i formation, which if I remember correctly, oh yeah that's a pretty big part of our offense.

Yeah, who said on here that FBs will become obsolete in this offense *cough* Parker*cough* *cough* Parker*cough* :D

ct
06-01-2007, 06:42 AM

McIntosh
Svitek

Waters
Bober

Wiegmann
Niswanger

Welbourn
Stallings

Terry
Kevin Sampson/Herb Taylor

I'm guessing Taylor will be PS this year.

StcChief
06-01-2007, 08:04 AM

Don't count the young tough athletic Boomer out at FB and ST stud

Kclee
06-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Great news for the Oline. I'm becoming more optimistic for this season.

HemiEd
06-01-2007, 08:14 AM
So Welbourn and Waters are going to both be playing Right Guard. Who is going to play where Waters used to play, LG?

That includes Waters at right guard and Casey Wiegmann at center, both longtime starters for the Chiefs at those positions.....................................

htismaqe
06-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Yeah, who said on here that FBs will become obsolete in this offense *cough* Parker*cough* *cough* Parker*cough* :D

I never said they'd be obsolete. And what I did say was said before Herm decided to move away from a Coryell-type offense to more of an I-formation offense. We didn't use a FB a whole lot last year, not like alot of I-formation teams do.

And you're STILL going to see quite a bit of H-back work instead of true FB's.

Bowser
06-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I never said they'd be obsolete. And what I did say was said before Herm decided to move away from a Coryell-type offense to more of an I-formation offense. We didn't use a FB a whole lot last year, not like alot of I-formation teams do.

And you're STILL going to see quite a bit of H-back work instead of true FB's.

Agreed. I think they FINALLY found a place for Wilson at H-Back to make him a credible threat.

But if what Herm says about the backs catching more passes is true, we could see a ton of I-Form and offset I with a true FB (Smith).

milkman
06-01-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm guessing Taylor will be PS this year.

I'm guessing that Sampson will get a sandy scatch on his gina again.

Ebolapox
06-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Huh. That is good news.

he's listed at IR

guess it's due to the sneeze that I just let out--apparently it went into a northward direction, struck him from 250 miles away, and he's out for two years with a broken neck from falling over his dog due to the severe force of the sneeze

SNR
06-01-2007, 10:42 PM

McIntosh
Svitek

Waters
Bober

Wiegmann
Niswanger

Welbourn
Stallings

Terry
Kevin Sampson/Herb TaylorYep. I suspect we'll also be seeing a bit of Niswanger at guard, depending on how well he performs in camp.

SNR
06-01-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm guessing that Sampson will get a sandy scatch on his gina again.I agree. He's been dead weight to this football team for a long time now. With how long we've been keeping him on the team, it's almost like he played like Priest at RT and we're just in denial that he's seriously injured and can't play in the NFL anymore.

Which of course, is completely false. He's sub-mediocre. The only good thing about him as a player is that he's better than Jordan Black. And that's not saying much.

Direckshun
06-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Yep. I suspect we'll also be seeing a bit of Niswanger at guard, depending on how well he performs in camp.
The only part of GoChiefs' OL depth chart that I'd consider faulty is Stallings. We've heard absolutely nothing from him since the day we drafted him. He's not going to pan out.

SNR
06-01-2007, 11:18 PM
The only part of GoChiefs' OL depth chart that I'd consider faulty is Stallings. We've heard absolutely nothing from him since the day we drafted him. He's not going to pan out.And Svitek, Sampson, and Niswanger have? The only one of those guys with real game time experience is Sampson, and he's a giant glass vagina who was never any good to begin with any way. He's just like Eric Hicks, only this time his career has been made out of a few good things said by Dick Vermeil. Using that logic, he's even more weasely than Hicks.

The backup guys will be made up largely of unprovens. Stallings is one of them and the coaches like him. He has as good of a shot to tag along on this team as any of the other previously mentioned above.

Direckshun
06-01-2007, 11:47 PM
There's been talk surrounding all of those guys. Niswanger's reportedly been promising. Svitek played well in NFLE and has reportedly made a serious run at RT. Sampson did play well last year, although being injury prone hurts.

Stallings? Nothing. Not a word from anywhere about anything concerning him.

bdeg
06-01-2007, 11:56 PM
I mentioned this before, but if you check out the kcchiefs.com roster Stallings has apparently been moved to tackle.

Who knows

CupidStunt
06-02-2007, 02:27 AM
So Waters is switching to RG... and Welbourn is playing RG... WTF is playing LG?

Dumbazz media.

Rain Man
06-02-2007, 04:00 PM
he's listed at IR

guess it's due to the sneeze that I just let out--apparently it went into a northward direction, struck him from 250 miles away, and he's out for two years with a broken neck from falling over his dog due to the severe force of the sneeze

Gesundheit.

scott free
06-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Terry being in the clear is fantastic, he looked great in the limited time i watched him in there. He was making a block on his primary guy & moving up to the next one. RT should be locked down for awhile.

If McIntosh can come close to replicating 06, we're back in business.

Ebolapox
06-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Gesundheit.

oh, thanks... it wasn't particularly powerful, sampson is just that much of a puss