PDA

View Full Version : RAND: "Pretty good" isn't good enough for Edwards

Count Alex's Losses
06-01-2007, 03:43 AM
It’s a picture that Chiefs coach Herm Edwards hopes will be worth several thousand words.

It hangs in the Chiefs’ indoor practice facility in a spot that every player passes as he walks off the field. The large photo sits inside a bright red frame that looks as if it should house a fire extinguisher. But this display is meant to light a fire, not put one out.

The photo shows the Colts celebrating in the end zone during last season’s playoff game at Indianapolis. The caption reads: “Remember Our Last Game? AFC Wild Card Game. Colts 23 Chiefs 8. It’s Time to Go to Work!”

This photo isn’t just a motivational gimmick. It represents Edwards’ approach to assembling, as well as inspiring, his 53-man roster for this season.

“This team has been together six years,” Edwards said, going back to the start of Dick Vermeil’s regime. “They made two playoff appearances and lost both times, one at home and one on the road.

“We’ve had a good football team, but when we got in the playoffs, we haven’t done well. Those are things you have to look at. You just don’t talk about it.”

Expect Edwards to wear that message out this year. He’s saying that he won’t settle for a team merely talented enough to make the playoffs, then be one and done. He’s saying that even the Chiefs’ best recent performances haven’t met his standards.

If you keep Edwards’ message in mind, every major move that he makes will become easily understood. He’ll take calculated risks to upgrade a 9-7 team to a much higher level.

Why draft a place kicker, Justin Medlock? The incumbent, Lawrence Tynes, was competent enough that the Giants traded a draft choice for him and NFL kickers are notorious for failing with their first teams. Edwards, it’s fair to infer, was willing to draft a kicker who might help win a playoff game rather than one who missed a chip shot at Indianapolis.

Why is Edwards willing to give untested second-year quarterback Brodie Croyle a chance to play as soon as possible? That’s partly because none of his veterans has won a playoff game. Trent Green stands 0-2 for the Chiefs in the playoffs and performed well below his Pro Bowl form last season.

A 38-31 home loss to the Colts in the 2003 playoffs, obviously, couldn’t be pinned on Green or any other offensive player. But to fans who bemoan the disappearance of the offense that led the NFL for two straight years before Edwards arrived, the head coach implies: “Where did the league-leading offense get you?”

That’s why Edwards continues to build mainly from the defensive side. There’s little question that his defense is a season or two away from becoming one of the league’s best.

While Edwards is usually conservative on Sundays, his eagerness to shoot high and play youngsters carries plenty of risk.

There’s a risk that Medlock won’t match Tynes’ 78 percent career accuracy; a chance that Croyle will make so many mistakes when he’s ready to play that fans will be screaming for Green or Damon Huard; and a chance that the Chiefs will lose so many 17-16 games that fans will be screaming for the head coach’s swift departure.

But it’s obvious that Edwards considers the potential reward of a championship worth these risks. Coaches often say that once you make the playoffs, anything can happen, and that certainly was the case when Bill Cowher’s Steelers went from sixth seeds to Super Bowl champions two seasons ago. But a team that merely squeezes into the playoffs more often than not will make the kind of quick exit the Chiefs made in January.

For Edwards, that was proof positive that “pretty good” isn’t good enough for him.

Wendychili14
06-01-2007, 03:44 AM
Thats good to hear, but will it uphold?

Deberg_1990
06-01-2007, 04:43 AM
For Edwards, that was proof positive that “pretty good” isn’t good enough for him.

This from a coach who has never won more than 10 games in a season? Oh the irony.....

I do appreaciate what hes trying to do though. Basically, if you dont perform, your out. Doesnt matter what you did in the past. Green, Tynes, Sims, Hicks, etc.....

Sure-Oz
06-01-2007, 08:05 AM
I think the defense should be pretty damn solid, just hope the offense can hold its own.

Fat Elvis
06-01-2007, 08:16 AM
I absolutely hate the, "It's time to go to work!" rallying cry. Vermeil used something like that, and it made me want to cry every time I heard it. It just isn't something you scream if you are a football player, an insurance claims adjuster, perhaps, but not a football player. You wanna know why we continually field a bunch of losers? Look no further than the team rallying cry. It is probably the brainchild of Carl Peterson since it seems to be passed down successive coaches.

InChiefsHell
06-01-2007, 08:26 AM
I absolutely hate the, "It's time to go to work!" rallying cry. Vermeil used something like that, and it made me want to cry every time I heard it. It just isn't something you scream if you are a football player, an insurance claims adjuster, perhaps, but not a football player. You wanna know why we continually field a bunch of losers? Look no further than the team rallying cry. It is probably the brainchild of Carl Peterson since it seems to be passed down successive coaches.

I think its the spirit of it that makes sense. Let's get down to business, let's get to work...it projects a calm matter of fact truth. Doesn't sound desperate. I think that's what he's going for. Also, even if it was the same thing that DV would say, it's deffinately coming from a different source, so the message isn't really the same.

What would you rather have as a "rallying cry"?

OnTheWarpath58
06-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Although I'm not a huge fan of "time to go to work" it's much better than the "chopping wood" bit Jack Del Rio came up with a few years ago.

Punters hacking their legs with axes in the locker room?

No thanks.

Nzoner
06-01-2007, 08:34 AM
It’s a picture that Chiefs coach Herm Edwards hopes will be worth several thousand words.

It hangs in the Chiefs’ indoor practice facility in a spot that every player AND COACH passes as he walks off the field. The large photo sits inside a bright red frame that looks as if it should house a fire extinguisher. But this display is meant to light a fire, not put one out.

The photo shows the Colts celebrating in the end zone during last season’s playoff game at Indianapolis. The caption reads: “Remember Our Last Game? AFC Wild Card Game. Colts 23 Chiefs 8. It’s Time to Go to Work!”

There the story reads better now.

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 08:48 AM
But to fans who bemoan the disappearance of the offense that led the NFL for two straight years before Edwards arrived, the head coach implies: “Where did the league-leading offense get you?”

Why all the hate agianst offense Herm? You have to outscore your opponent to win the game, even on the road...

Sad Irony of this all is, He is building his team just like DV felt the Chiefs should be built. This time we will be all Defense and zero offense...

So whats the difference Herm? You might stop the other team from scoring 28 points a game, but your sorry offense wont score 10...

So my question to you Herm is, What is this "high powered defense going to do for you? Will you finally win 11 games in a season?

Redrum_69
06-01-2007, 09:00 AM
THis is straight from the D A show on 610 A.M. this past week.

Why dont you try writing your own material

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 09:02 AM

He does and he gets PAID to do so...

HemiEd
06-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Edwards arrived, the head coach implies: “Where did the league-leading offense get you?”

Now he is finally speaking out of the other side of his mouth. Mission accomplished, the offense is gutted.

StcChief
06-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Whatever works to motivate the team.

tomahawk kid
06-01-2007, 09:19 AM

DA is a tool belt of massive proportions.

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Whatever works to motivate the team.

Motivation will disappear for the offensive players if the offense plays run, run, pass, punt each week.

Fat Elvis
06-01-2007, 09:27 AM
I think its the spirit of it that makes sense. Let's get down to business, let's get to work...it projects a calm matter of fact truth. Doesn't sound desperate. I think that's what he's going for. Also, even if it was the same thing that DV would say, it's deffinately coming from a different source, so the message isn't really the same.

http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/Seven_dwarves_small.jpg

That is a rally cry for these guys.

Professional football is (or should be) a violent activity. It is an exercise in territoriality. It is a manifestation of control and domination. The rally cry should reflect that. Do you see the great defenses of our day with such pedestrian drivel? Heck no. Look at the Ravens. Ray Lewis has a stupid, stupid dance, but he is at the same time saying he owns the field and will kill (perhaps stab?) anyone who tries to take it from him. Albert Haynesworth, who we passed on to trade up and get Ryan Sims, has a trainer punch him in the mouth until he bleeds to get psyched up before a game. You call that work? Heck no; that is psychosis. In professional football, psychosis isn't necessarily a liability. It tends to help win games.

The more I think about it, the madder that poster makes me. It's time to go to work!?! Why the heck didn't you think of that LAST year. Maybe if they showed up to work last year, they wouldn't of been embarrassed by the Colts AGAIN. A-FREAKIN-GAIN!

I don't want to see my football team "Go to work;" I want them to take the field, hit the opposing players so hard that they lay motionless on the grass with a single leg quivering as a pool of urine forms around them after losing control of thier bladder.

What would I suggest as a "rallying cry?" How about, "Hit them till they shit!"?

Nzoner
06-01-2007, 09:38 AM

Professional football is (or should be) a violent activity. It is an exercise in territoriality. It is a manifestation of control and domination. The rally cry should reflect that. Do you see the great defenses of our day with such pedestrian drivel? Heck no. Look at the Ravens. Ray Lewis has a stupid, stupid dance, but he is at the same time saying he owns the field and will kill (perhaps stab?) anyone who tries to take it from him. Albert Haynesworth, who we passed on to trade up and get Ryan Sims, has a trainer punch him in the mouth until he bleeds to get psyched up before a game. You call that work? Heck no; that is psychosis. In professional football, psychosis isn't necessarily a liability. It tends to help win games.

The more I think about it, the madder that poster makes me. It's time to go to work!?! Why the heck didn't you think of that LAST year. Maybe if they showed up to work last year, they wouldn't of been embarrassed by the Colts AGAIN. A-FREAKIN-GAIN!

I don't want to see my football team "Go to work;" I want them to take the field, hit the opposing players so hard that they lay motionless on the grass with a single leg quivering as a pool of urine forms around them after losing control of thier bladder.

What would I suggest as a "rallying cry?" How about, "Hit them till they shit!"?

Oh hell yes,I'm ready for the season now!

InChiefsHell
06-01-2007, 09:52 AM

Wow...I like "Hit em till they shit" way better. I see what you are saying.

Also:

Ray Lewis has a stupid, stupid dance, but he is at the same time saying he owns the field and will kill (perhaps stab?) anyone who tries to take it from him

That is just LOL rep baby!

unothadeal
06-01-2007, 09:53 AM

Professional football is (or should be) a violent activity. It is an exercise in territoriality. It is a manifestation of control and domination. The rally cry should reflect that. Do you see the great defenses of our day with such pedestrian drivel? Heck no. Look at the Ravens. Ray Lewis has a stupid, stupid dance, but he is at the same time saying he owns the field and will kill (perhaps stab?) anyone who tries to take it from him. John Henderson, who we passed on to trade up and get Ryan Sims, has a trainer punch him in the mouth until he bleeds to get psyched up before a game. You call that work? Heck no; that is psychosis. In professional football, psychosis isn't necessarily a liability. It tends to help win games.

FYP

Wile_E_Coyote
06-01-2007, 11:25 AM
With Edwards the defense is no longer the red headed stepchild. That does not mean that the offense takes over that role. Vermeil had little talent on his woeful defense. Edwards has talent on his offense. LJ & Gonzo are pretty damn good

htismaqe
06-01-2007, 11:27 AM

There's a gleam men!!!

vailpass
06-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Serious question for Edwards supporters: how hard is it to convince yourself that you are happy Herm is coaching your team?

Wile_E_Coyote
06-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Serious question for Edwards supporters: how hard is it to convince yourself that you are happy Herm is coaching your team?
I support Edwards because he hasn't given me good enough reason not to. The decline of the offense was not his fault. That was because of age & lack of depth

vailpass
06-01-2007, 11:44 AM
I support Edwards because he hasn't given me good enough reason not to. The decline of the offense was not his fault. That was because of age & lack of depth

That makes perfect sense.

htismaqe
06-01-2007, 11:45 AM

I'm not happy Herm is coaching the team.

But he's the coach and I can't change it, so I support him.

vailpass
06-01-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm not happy Herm is coaching the team.

But he's the coach and I can't change it, so I support him.

That is exactly how I think I would feel.

Mr. Kotter
06-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Serious question for Edwards supporters: how hard is it to convince yourself that you are happy Herm is coaching your team?Herm's a good coach. Like any other coach though, he needs players. The D is coming; the O's decline was inevitable....hardly Herm's fault.

Besides, look at who other NFL teams hired this off-season...:shake:

In the next year or two, we'll see if he's risen to the level of elite coaches. By 2008-2009, for better or worse....this will be HIS team. I like the potential I see, and Herm's apparent ability to judge talent....but only time will tell for sure.

Fat Elvis
06-01-2007, 01:28 PM
I have to admit, I like Herm's eye for talent much better than DV's.

Direckshun
06-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Since Herm's arrival, the defense has vastly improved, and the offense's decline has been stemmed by a youth movement.

So I'm not real sure what's to be complained about.

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Since Herm's arrival, the defense has vastly improved, and the offense's decline has been stemmed by a youth movement.

So I'm not real sure what's to be complained about.

No complaints.. Just balance the team Herm... For years it was Marty and his Defenses, then Gunter and his cluelessness, then DV and his offense, now it is Herm and his ????????

It looking like we are heading back to the 3 yards and a cloud of dust era. Championship teams need balance, they need to be able to Pass the ball when needed, run effectively (420 carries for LJ is not effective) and score TD's not settle for FG's because you are scared to take a chance.

Balance wins Championships...

So far this offseason, Herm has kicked ass and taken names.... This is one of the better offseasons in years for KC... Kuddos to Herm for having the balls to cut dead weight.

HemiEd
06-01-2007, 02:03 PM

How so? Did the defense actually rank much higher than the previous year?

People also say the draft choices are better. How do we know that?
People were gushing over Sims and Siavii their first year also. Sims had a pretty good year, his first full season.

I think many people are on the honeymoon period with the new coach.

Hali was a good pick by a guy that knows what he is doing, but DJ was a lucky choice that fell to Vermeil? LMAO

chagrin
06-01-2007, 02:15 PM
It should have a picture of our OC and say "Do you know this man?"

OnTheWarpath58
06-01-2007, 02:16 PM

People were gushing over Sims and Siavii their first year also. Sims had a pretty good year, his first full season.

Hali was a good pick by a guy that knows what he is doing, but DJ was a lucky choice that fell to Vermeil? LMAO

I'd like to meet ONE person who was "gushing" over the pick of Siavii.

I also wish I could figure out why people care about the style of ball we play.

This so-called "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense will be just fine by me. All I care about is winning games, and I'd rather win a game 13-10 than lose a game 35-31 like the previous regime. To me giving up 30+ points a game on defense is equivilent to the offense averaging less than 10 points a game.

This team wasn't shut out ONCE last year, was playing without their Pro Bowl LT and QB, had a revolving door at RT and a converted TE at FB.

They also averaged 20 points a game, which is more than enough when you have a Top 10 defense, which I think we'll have.

This team isn't THAT unbalanced.

JMO.

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 02:16 PM
It should have a picture of our OC and say "Do you know this man?"
or "Have you seen this man, missing since pre-season! If you find him please return him to One Arrowhead Drive.:

R&GHomer
06-01-2007, 02:19 PM

I must have been on vacation or something, because I never remember that shit bag Sims ever having a decent season let alone a good one. DJ was a good pick, but I'll be damned if I'll totaly rule out luck. DV did draft Sims and Siavii and those two go into the history books of suck, suck, SUCK

Valiant
06-01-2007, 02:21 PM
This from a coach who has never won more than 10 games in a season? Oh the irony.....

I do appreaciate what hes trying to do though. Basically, if you dont perform, your out. Doesnt matter what you did in the past. Green, Tynes, Sims, Hicks, etc.....

Yeah but he has won how many more playoff games then us in the last 5 years???

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 02:22 PM
This so-called "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense will be just fine by me.
It is great when you have the lead and are trying to run the clock out. If you are powerful enough to do that... I take you missed alot of the late 80's and early 90's MartyBall? Bad part is, when you are behind you have to be able to throw the ball, make big plays and score TD's. That is not what the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" is all about.

All I care about is winning games, and I'd rather win a game 13-10 than lose a game 35-31 like the previous regime. To me giving up 30+ points a game on defense is equivilent to the offense averaging less than 10 points a game. Who wouldnt? But you better be able to put the ball in the endzone, you wont always hold people to 10 points or less week in and week out...

This team wasn't shut out ONCE last year, was playing without their Pro Bowl LT and QB, had a revolving door at RT and a converted TE at FB.They also averaged 20 points a game, which is more than enough when you have a Top 10 defense, which I think we'll have.

This team isn't THAT unbalanced.

JMO.

Solid points!

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Yeah but he has won how many more playoff games then us in the last 5 years???

Playoffs? Playoffs?

Which coach won a superbowl in the last 5 years?

htismaqe
06-01-2007, 02:24 PM

Statistics aren't everything. Sometimes you have to see the changes in the actual play on the field.

Hali was a guy that was supposed to go somewhere 5-10 picks AFTER the Chiefs picked. DJ was supposed to be gone 5-10 picks BEFORE the Chiefs picked. If Detroit wouldn't have passed on Mike Williams, Vermeil wouldn't get to count DJ as one of his draft picks.

Valiant
06-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Playoffs? Playoffs?

Which coach won a superbowl in the last 5 years?

Babysteps

I have not seen us win a playoff game since I was in Jr. High...

OnTheWarpath58
06-01-2007, 02:29 PM
It is great when you have the lead and are trying to run the clock out. If you are powerful enough to do that... I take you missed alot of the late 80's and early 90's MartyBall? Bad part is, when you are behind you have to be able to throw the ball, make big plays and score TD's. That is not what the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" is all about.

Who wouldnt? But you better be able to put the ball in the endzone, you wont always hold people to 10 points or less week in and week out...

Solid points!

I think 20 points a game would qualify as "getting the ball in the endzone."

About 3 times, actually.

The team is much more balanced now than it was 2 years ago.

We went from a defense that gave up 30+ a game to a defense that gave up 19 last year.

We also went from an offense scoring 30+ per game to an offense scoring 20.

In past years, you went into a game KNOWING the offense had to score 30 to win. Now, both sides of the ball is capable of picking up the slack when the other is struggling.

beer bacon
06-01-2007, 02:31 PM

Our defense went from 25th in total defense and 16th in scoring d in 2005 to 16th in total d and 11th in scoring d in 2006.

DJ was an easy pick. Like Brady this year, he was a guy that fell farther then he should have. Hali was a guy, that while rated highly by some teams, the Giants for instance, went just about where he was expected, or maybe a bit earlier. They were both good picks, but for different reasons.

Nzoner
06-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Babysteps

I have not seen us win a playoff game since I was in Jr. High...

and there it is,it's been so long that if we do win one play-off game Carl will be King again and the shit will start all over.

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 02:33 PM
I think 20 points a game would qualify as "getting the ball in the endzone."

About 3 times, actually.

The team is much more balanced now than it was 2 years ago.

We went from a defense that gave up 30+ a game to a defense that gave up 19 last year.

We also went from an offense scoring 30+ per game to an offense scoring 20.

In past years, you went into a game KNOWING the offense had to score 30 to win. Now, both sides of the ball is capable of picking up the slack when the other is struggling.

Very well said... I cant argue or disagree with that...

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 02:35 PM
and there it is,it's been so long that if we do win one play-off game Carl will be King again and the shit will start all over.

We watched the 1994 playoff games over Memorial day weekend...

Kind of fun to go back and watch some of the old classics... Oh and how can you forget the Montana/Elway in Denver on Monday night....

Get goose bumps just thinking about it...

ChiefsCountry
06-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Ahh playoff victories. Man I was in 3rd grade then. Now I graduate college in the fall.

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Ahh playoff victories. Man I was in 3rd grade then. Now I graduate college in the fall.

I was serving in the USAF stationed at Eglin AFB in FL.....

Nzoner
06-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Oh and how can you forget the Montana/Elway in Denver on Monday night....

Get goose bumps just thinking about it...

Yeah,I was there with Chiefs Travel,my one and only trip to Mile High and when I exited I was more than a mile high.

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah,I was there with Chiefs Travel,my one and only trip to Mile High and when I exited I was more than a mile high.

We were talking about how cool that game would of been to attend...

You lucky bastard! :hail:

HemiEd
06-01-2007, 02:46 PM
I'd like to meet ONE person who was "gushing" over the pick of Siavii.

Hi, my name is Ed I am an .....................idiot. Actually, the magazines (ESPN etc.) were full of articles about Siavii and the feel good story he represented. Hell I had never heard of him before.

I must have been on vacation or something, because I never remember that shit bag Sims ever having a decent season let alone a good one. DJ was a good pick, but I'll be damned if I'll totaly rule out luck. DV did draft Sims and Siavii and those two go into the history books of suck, suck, SUCK

I was just trying to make a comparison, not intending to defend Sims. He had 3 sacks his second year, which was his first full season. That turned out to be 60% of his total career production. What kind of numbers should we expect from a DT?

Our defense went from 25th in total defense and 16th in scoring d in 2005 to 16th in total d and 11th in scoring d in 2006.

DJ was an easy pick. Like Brady this year, he was a guy that fell farther then he should have. Hali was a guy, that while rated highly by some teams, the Giants for instance, went just about where he was expected, or maybe a bit earlier. They were both good picks, but for different reasons.

I didn't remember the numerical ranking spread being that different, I stand corrected.

Nzoner
06-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi, my name is Ed I am an .....................idiot.

How you doin' you fockin' idiot :D

HemiEd
06-01-2007, 02:50 PM
How you doin' you fockin' idiot :D

Honestly, I have never had it so good! How about you Joe?

Nzoner
06-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Honestly, I have never had it so good! How about you Joe?

Getting ready for a garage sale tomorrow :banghead:

trying to move some crap out so we can move fireworks in.

HemiEd
06-01-2007, 03:00 PM

That could be entertaining! Got any good Nascar stuff for sale, I am guessing it will be a HOT commodity. :D

Did I ever tell you about my buddy that gave everything away to the first person that showed up? LMAO His wife was pissed when she got back, but he got to go do what he wanted.

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 03:01 PM

Maybe you should help the wife and stop dicking around on the internet?

Nzoner
06-01-2007, 03:12 PM
That could be entertaining! Got any good Nascar stuff for sale, I am guessing it will be a HOT commodity. :D

Did I ever tell you about my buddy that gave everything away to the first person that showed up? LMAO His wife was pissed when she got back, but he got to go do what he wanted.

heh,if I could only sell all that cr...er stuff.

No,but that's a great idea.

Nzoner
06-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Maybe you should help the wife and stop dicking around on the internet?

speaking of wife you sound just like her

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 03:19 PM
speaking of wife you sound just like her
Ouch