PDA

View Full Version : CP Invitation: Sioux Falls JAZZFEST (FREE), July 20-21

Mr. Kotter
06-01-2007, 12:12 PM
It's really more of a BluesFest, but it's become quite a local event.

Several Planeteers have made the 5 hour jaunt up I-29 from KC (and other places) to Sioux Falls to partake of the festivities during the past 3-4 years...it's a good time. Food, friends, and fun....in usually very nice (sometimes hot) summer weather. Best of all there is no admission charge. :toast:

JazzFest has a good website, explaining the weekend:

http://www.jazzfestsiouxfalls.com/index.php

Of course, you can spend money too...on food and drinks, craft booths, and souvenir crap, if you want. They have a great selection of food vendors, some craft booths, kids games, inflatables, and other scheduled activities--even for kids and families (so, no this isn't Woodstock--it's more family oriented, even if there's plenty of carousing going on too.) There are also shuttles to and from the concert site from a few points in the community, which I would highly recommend to avoid the congestion and parking situation at the event.

If you are interested, post in this thread....I'll bump it a few times over the next 6 weeks or so. We'll see if we can get together a group of us.

If Jazz/Blues aren't your thing....that's okay. For me, just hanging out, people watching, taking in a nice summer evening with a couple of cold ones, throwing around the football between acts, and lounging in the lawn chair to some good tunes....is a pretty good time.

It's outside in a large soccer complex, so you can discretely BYOB (no coolers, but flasks are popular.) Bring your sunscreen, bug juice, and a lawn chair--and you're set.

Anyone interested in coming up, I can help with advice for lodging and/or restaurants and other activities or sight-seeing while you are in the area (though in Eastern SD, the list isn't long...heh.) If we have enough people interested, maybe we can do a before/after JazzFest ChiefsPlanet gathering (at say, Old Chicago's or Buffalo Wild Wings) on Friday, or Saturday...depending on the level of interest.

So, who's interested???? :shrug:

Schedule:

Friday, July 20
6:00 Rod Piazza and the Mighty Flyers
7:15 The Lee Boys
8:30 Susan Tedeschi
10:00 Derek Trucks Band
* Scheduled Second Stage acts: Solution and Soulcrate Music

Saturday, July 21
Noon Chris Vadala and the Northlanders Jazz Band
1:30 Doreenís Jazz New Orleans
3:00 Steve Weingart and Mike Miller
4:45 Bonerama
6:30 Jeff Golub
8:15 Jon Cleary and the Absolute Monster Gentlemen
10:00 Robert Cray Band
* Scheduled Second Stage acts: Snakebeard Jackson, Kyle Knutson, Derek Postini, Dakota Jazz Collective and Urban Blues

Saulbadguy
06-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Won't be able to attend this year. :(

Mr. Kotter
06-01-2007, 12:16 PM

Bummer. :(

How 'bout the little lady, though? :hmmm:

:p

Mr. Kotter
06-01-2007, 12:26 PM

Seriously though...what's up? The new job? :hmmm:

Are your folks still coming?

Nzoner
06-01-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm going to try and make it this year,so far it looks like the timing is perfect and I'd love to see the Derek Trucks Band.

Nzoner
06-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Anyone interested in coming up, I can help with advice for lodging and/or restaurants

Isn't there a Valentino's there?

Mr. Kotter
06-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm going to try and make it this year,so far it looks like the timing is perfect and I'd love to see the Derek Trucks Band.Cool, Joe. :thumb:

You should see if you can rope any other of those KC/Omaha/Sioux City Planeteer folks into joining you on the trip up I-29. It really is a good time. Yeah, I think the evening line-ups in particular, look pretty decent.

FWIW, it's really only about a four and a half hour drive from your place... :)
Isn't there a Valentino's there?Yup. Right in the middle of most of the lodging and Festival area too.

COchief
06-01-2007, 01:37 PM
There is usually a couple of recognizable bands for me, not this year. Kotter, do you know of any of these? Who are the bigger acts?

StcChief
06-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Robert Cray would be good.

bringbackmarty
06-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Bonerama is awesome, their former bass trombonist Brian O'neill used to be my boss at Harrah's New Orleans.
Sadly he passed away from a heart attack while on a gig
in New Orleans after the storm. Julian Garcia, Loren Pickford and I speak of him often on our gigs together as we all used to work in the same band with Brian. I actually have a picture of my friend Leigh Harris performing at Jazzfest 2005 with Bonerama on my website.
www.micahherman.com I can't really explain the sound of four trombones blasting funk. It's kind of like a tugbout and a train getting it on, not always pleasant but very funky and danceable. They will kick everyone's ass at the festival. I guarantee it.

I probably won't be able to attend. We are really making an effort to save money, and get out of debt right now. Sucks, but such is life.

Mr. Kotter
06-01-2007, 02:09 PM
There is usually a couple of recognizable bands for me, not this year. Kotter, do you know of any of these? Who are the bigger acts?Here are their bios (Click on their names, and most have links to their websites):

http://www.jazzfestsiouxfalls.com/performers.php

In brief....Tucks tours with the Allman Bros, and recently Clapton. He's supposed to be killer, live. Cray has been around for awhile, and is well-respected in the community--which is more the Blues and Soul communities. I personally like a lot of his stuff though. Weingart had a pretty good solo album a couple of years back, IIRC. He is actually currently part of the Nu Jazz Alliance, and used to be in the Dave Weckl Band. He'll be playing with some accomplished locals. Golub (with Billy Squier, Rod Stewart, etc.) and Cleary (Bonnie Raitt) been around for awhile. Golub's 2002 solo album Dangerous Curves did well. Cleary is considered on of the genre's best keyboard musicians...with roots in New Orleans jazz piano. Tedeschi sounds like she had a couple of hits in the 90s, but live performances are her bread and butter. I think Doreen's New Orleans Jazz and Bonerama sound interesting....but less widely know perhaps. JMHO on what I've heard, and read on the JazzFest site.

Nzoner
06-01-2007, 02:10 PM
There is usually a couple of recognizable bands for me, not this year. Kotter, do you know of any of these? Who are the bigger acts?

Derek Trucks uncle was a founding member of the Allman Brothers band and Derek has played with them as well.

Here's a video if you're interested (http://youtube.com/watch?v=eC01c7VuYjM)

Mr. Kotter
06-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Bonerama is awesome, their former bass trombonist Brian O'neill used to be my boss at Harrah's New Orleans.
Sadly he passed away from a heart attack while on a gig
in New Orleans after the storm. Julian Garcia, Loren Pickford and I speak of him often on our gigs together as we all used to work in the same band with Brian. I actually have a picture of my friend Leigh Harris performing at Jazzfest 2005 with Bonerama on my website.
www.micahherman.com (http://www.micahherman.com) I can't really explain the sound of four trombones blasting funk. It's kind of like a tugbout and a train getting it on, not always pleasant but very funky and danceable. They will kick everyone's ass at the festival. I guarantee it.

I probably won't be able to attend. We are really making an effort to save money, and get out of debt right now. Sucks, but such is life.

Hitch a ride with Joe, and crash on the floor in my basement. :shrug:

Nzoner
06-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Yup. Right in the middle of most of the lodging and Festival area too.

If I make it that's without a doubt the Sunday brunch stop before hitting the road.

Nzoner
06-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Robert Cray would be good.

Yeah,I'm assuming most everyone has heard Smoking Gun

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mTxIgyqT4z4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mTxIgyqT4z4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mr. Kotter
06-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Bonerama is awesome...I can't really explain the sound of four trombones blasting funk. It's kind of like a tugbout and a train getting it on, not always pleasant but very funky and danceable. They will kick everyone's ass at the festival. I guarantee it....

http://<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9eKjH72McFo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9eKjH72McFo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object> (http://<object width=)

JimNasium
06-01-2007, 03:03 PM
That Friday schedule will end up blowing the Saturday performance away. Also, I'm not a huge Robert Cray fan. Jon Cleary has the potential to make him look really mediocre. All in all that's a really quality festival.

Baconeater
06-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Cool, Joe. :thumb:

You should see if you can rope any other of those KC/Omaha/Sioux City Planeteer folks into joining you on the trip up I-29.
Is that a hint? :)

Actually, Mrs. Carlson the Bugeater has friends in Sioux Falls that she hasn't seen for quite some time, and we're not really planning a major vacation this year because of the ridiculous gas prices so you can put us down as a possibility.

Stewie
06-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Bonerama and Robert Cray are good. Is this in the United States?

Mr. Kotter
06-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Is that a hint? :)

Actually, Mrs. Carlson the Bugeater has friends in Sioux Falls that she hasn't seen for quite some time, and we're not really planning a major vacation this year because of the ridiculous gas prices so you can put us down as a possibility.Actually, you were one of those I was thinking of...I hope it works out for you. :thumb:
...Is this in the United States?
Yeah, yeah....:p

Mr. Kotter
06-01-2007, 07:18 PM
That Friday schedule will end up blowing the Saturday performance away. Also, I'm not a huge Robert Cray fan. Jon Cleary has the potential to make him look really mediocre. All in all that's a really quality festival.I think Cray will appeal to more of a MoTown/Soul faction of the audience. But, I see your point...

As for Friday night, it appears Trucks and Tedeschi work together a bit. I did some searches for Tedeschi...she seems quite good too.

http://<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zu3ZDXmAWDI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zu3ZDXmAWDI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object> (http://<object width=)

Skip Towne
06-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Damn the luck!! I'm scheduled to clean out my rain gutters that weekend. Maybe next year.

Mr. Kotter
06-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Damn the luck!! I'm scheduled to clean out my rain gutters that weekend. Maybe next year.

Well, that's a damn shame.... LMAO

Phobia
06-01-2007, 10:40 PM
You should just leave 'em plugged ... for the next fire.

KcMizzou
06-01-2007, 10:45 PM
You should just leave 'em plugged ... for the next fire.In my experience, they do seem to come in pairs.

(might be the meth lab thing)

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Mr. Bugeater? You figured out if you are gonna make it, or not? :shrug:

Nzoner
06-06-2007, 11:45 PM
I told the mrs about this tonight,I'm lookin forward

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2007, 11:46 PM
I told the mrs about this tonight,I'm lookin forward

Is it gonna both of you, or are you flying single that weekend?

Baconeater
06-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Mr. Bugeater? You figured out if you are gonna make it, or not? :shrug:
Eh, we're still in deliberation mode here. I should know for sure in the next week or so.

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Eh, we're still in deliberation mode here. I should know for sure in the next week or so.

Good enough.

Nzoner
06-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Is it gonna both of you, or are you flying single that weekend?

I'm hoping a buddy of mine and me,he's got an awesome little sports car convertible that i cannot think of the name of and it would be a helluva road trip in it

Nzoner
06-17-2007, 11:32 PM
What time do the shows usually get over and more importantly what time do the bars close?

Mr. Kotter
06-17-2007, 11:33 PM
What time do the shows usually get over and more importantly what time do the bars close?

Shows finish around 11, or shortly after. Bars are open til 2 AM. :)

Baconeater
06-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Speaking of this, the family thing probably isn't going to work due to conflicting schedules. I may still come up solo, but it'll be a gametime decision.

Nzoner
06-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Shows finish around 11, or shortly after. Bars are open til 2 AM. :)

Awesome,can't wait.

Mr. Kotter
06-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Speaking of this, the family thing probably isn't going to work due to conflicting schedules. I may still come up solo, but it'll be a gametime decision.
Fair enough; if you are going on the cheap....and don't mind crashing on the basement floor (with fouton, or airmattress)....I THINK my family will be at the lake that weekend (that's the current plan)...you'd be welcome to it.

Awesome,can't wait.

Should be fun. I don't know if I still have the stamina to pull a Friday & Saturday night.....marathon. We'll see though. Heh.

Baconeater
06-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Fair enough; if you are going on the cheap....and don't mind crashing on the basement floor (with fouton, or airmattress)....I THINK my family will be at the lake that weekend (that's the current plan)...you'd be welcome to it.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. My wife has an uncle who lives in Brandon (where ever that is, it's somewhere around SF I guess) that I could probably stay with, but he's kind of a dickhead and I don't really like him too much.

Nzoner
06-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. My wife has an uncle who lives in Brandon (where ever that is, it's somewhere around SF I guess) that I could probably stay with, but he's kind of a dickhead and I don't really like him too much.

Dave and I got a room as well but you'd need a sleeping bag because you sure as hell won't be invited into either one of our beds.

Baconeater
06-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Dave and I got a room as well but you'd need a sleeping bag because you sure as hell won't be invited into either one of our beds.
LMAO I'm fine with that.

Nzoner
07-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Bring your sunscreen, bug juice, and a lawn chair--and you're set.

We have a small problem in that the car we're bringing has enough room for 2 small bags in other words is there any possibility in you helping us out with a couple of chairs?

Adept Havelock
07-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Damn. Sounds like a blast, but there's no way I can make it.

Thanks for the tip, MK. Maybe next year.

Baconeater
07-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Not looking good for me right now Kotter. I just started a new job and still have side projects to do so this month's schedule is pretty rough. We'll see what happens.

Nzoner
07-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Not looking good for me right now Kotter. I just started a new job and still have side projects to do so this month's schedule is pretty rough. We'll see what happens.

That's not going to work,you still ain't sleeping with one of us. :)

Baconeater
07-16-2007, 10:43 PM
That's not going to work,you still ain't sleeping with one of us. :)
:spock:

Mr. Kotter
07-16-2007, 10:47 PM

Sorry, I missed this....Bugeater.

I gave up bumpin' the thread, as Joe and his bud looked to be the only interested parties. It'll be fun, nonetheless.

We'll think of you, though. :toast:

Mr. Kotter
07-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Damn. Sounds like a blast, but there's no way I can make it.

Thanks for the tip, MK. Maybe next year.

Hell, I'd love to meet you in person, dude. You and I would probably become so engrossed in conversation....that we'd lose our buzz though.

Look ahead for next year.

Nzoner
07-16-2007, 10:50 PM

I gave up bumpin' the thread, as Joe and his bud looked to be the only interested parties. It'll be fun, nonetheless.

I do my best to try and hook up with planeteers when at all possible,it's just too bad more of us don't don't do it when the opportunity presents itself,I've met some damn good people in my 3 years here and proud to call alot of them friends.

Baconeater
07-16-2007, 10:57 PM

It just a tough time of the year, there's so much going on. There's still a slight chance I can make it if I get my side project done and I don't have to work that Saturday at my real job. That's asking a lot right now though.

Mr. Kotter
07-16-2007, 11:17 PM
I do my best to try and hook up with planeteers when at all possible,it's just too bad more of us don't don't do it when the opportunity presents itself,I've met some damn good people in my 3 years here and proud to call alot of them friends.

We might run into a couple unexpectedly....Kclee, mylonsd, oldandslow, Delano (who works at the event, usually).....but none seemed to express real interest---maybe their schedules were already fillled.

But, yeah, I agree about meeting people though. I've sure enjoyed it.

Some people just take the board too seriously, IMO. :shrug:

Mr. Kotter
07-16-2007, 11:19 PM
It just a tough time of the year, there's so much going on. There's still a slight chance I can make it if I get my side project done and I don't have to work that Saturday at my real job. That's asking a lot right now though.

That's understandable, man. Life can be busy. I'm shipping the wife and kids off to our lake cabin on Friday morning; otherwise....I'd have obligations too.

If you can make it though, PM me your cell phone number....and I'll do the same.

Nzoner
07-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Just wanted to say thanks Rob for being such a great host,Dave and I had a great time at the festival and the cd's we bought are excellent.

We'd also like to say thanks again for the use of the chairs and we'll be checking the line-up from here on out as we're talking about making Jazzfest an annual trip.

Mr. Kotter
07-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Just wanted to say thanks Rob for being such a great host,Dave and I had a great time at the festival and the cd's we bought are excellent.

We'd also like to say thanks again for the use of the chairs and we'll be checking the line-up from here on out as we're talking about making Jazzfest an annual trip.

Hey, Joe...you're welcome--glad you enjoyed it. Dave seemed like a great guy. It's too bad we didn't have others join us, but that didn't detract from another good weekend of shows. I honestly think it seems to get better every year. Unofficial attendance for Friday and Saturday combined was 95,000 folks (I suspect that's somewhat inflated, but it was a great weekend nonetheless.)

Sorry I missed connecting with you this morning, I was between mini-crises with the fam (nothing major, just the usual chaos.) Anyway, we'll keep you posted for next year too. I'm still hopin' to swing the Opening weekend fundraiser at your place, but I need to see for sure how that will pan out. Later, dude. :thumb:

Count Alex's Losses
07-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Jazz is the most overrated form of music in the history of mankind.

Mr. Kotter
07-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Jazz is the most overrated form of music in the history of mankind.

Eh, to each his own. I'm not a huge fan really either; however, it can be KILLER live....because of the passion of the musicians. And, FTR....they really ought to change the name to BluesFest...because it's definitely Blues heavy (which is good, IMO.)

Whatever floats your boat, Clayton. :shrug:

:p

luv
07-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Eh, to each his own. I'm not a huge fan really either; however, it can be KILLER live....because of the passion of the musicians.
I feel the same way about Blues.

And, FTR....they really ought to change the name to BluesFest...because it's definitely Blues heavy (which is good, IMO.)
Sounds like an outstanding time.

Nzoner
07-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Dave nor I either one can say enough good about the festival,the entermainment was not just good but in some instances great.Derek Trucks especially,man can that dude play a guitar.

For anyone reading I have to mention Bonearama as well,4 trombones and a tuba with drums and a guitar and bass and holy shit what a sound.Did a fantastic job on Sabbath's War Pigs,I'm still not believing what i heard.

Saulbadguy
07-23-2007, 06:36 AM
Sure, the only time I don't come the weather is great. Last few times i've gone it's been ****ING HOT.

Bob Dole
07-23-2007, 07:11 AM
For anyone reading I have to mention Bonearama as well,4 trombones and a tuba with drums and a guitar and bass and holy shit what a sound.Did a fantastic job on Sabbath's War Pigs,I'm still not believing what i heard.

You can never have too many trombones. :)

Mr. Kotter
07-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Sure, the only time I don't come the weather is great. Last few times i've gone it's been ****ING HOT.

I thought about that and you both days, heh.

It was really nice....very comfortable both days, even the humidity was tolerable....especially with the nearly constant cool breeze. :D

Skip Towne
07-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Bonerama huh?

Nzoner
07-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Bonerama huh?

WAR PIGS(sample)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yfLP38UpZcQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yfLP38UpZcQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Nzoner
07-23-2007, 03:34 PM
That Friday schedule will end up blowing the Saturday performance away. Also, I'm not a huge Robert Cray fan. Jon Cleary has the potential to make him look really mediocre. All in all that's a really quality festival.

All in all I'd say you nailed this,Friday was awesome,in fact Piazza that kicked off the festival was incredible.They had a piano/drum solo that I know went for 10 minutes plus then Piazza ended the show with a good 10 minute plus harmonica solo that found him in the crowd and up on the camera stand etc. just playing to no end.

If anyone reading likes good piano and harp you owe it to yourself to spend 7 minutes checking this out.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FGf5XLoRyKY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FGf5XLoRyKY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>