PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports The Official 2007/2008 Soccer thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

CHIEF4EVER
06-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Post all of your soccer related posts here regardless of league or competition. Last season was awesome, this one ought to be even better.

Direckshun
06-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Well I just got done watching England give Brazil everything they had.

They actually had a 1-0 lead late in the second half, but Brazil got the injury time tie-maker.

CHIEF4EVER
06-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I'll go first. The Wizards are playing some excellent football this year as are the Red Bulls. The matchup ought to be great. Manchester United signed Nani, Andersen and Hargreaves which I am excited about. Nani and Andersen are good young talent and Hargreaves gives us the holding midfielder we needed.

Silock
06-01-2007, 11:24 PM
That England game was thoroughly amusing. England played like shit except for about 15 minutes in the 2nd half (around the 60 minute mark to 75) where they dominated. I thought they were going to pull it out, but it's fitting that Brazil tied it up. They deserved at least a tie for outplaying England the entire game.

Silock
06-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Oh yeah, the Wizards are doing awesome this year. Onalfo has them playing extremely well. If they can beat Red Bull tomorrow, they'll be for sure the best team in MLS right now.

Cannon1987
06-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Wizards do look good

WoodDraw
06-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Haven't watched the England game yet, but I'm excited to. The Beckham recall has been pretty damn entertaining to watch. Nothing like watching him play himself back onto Real Madrid and England right after signing with LA. If he keeps up his current production, things will get interesting when he comes to the US.

I'm ready for tomorrow. The China game will probably be boring, but a chance to see some young guys play. The Wizards game will be exciting though. The two best teams in MLS right now playing for first place. Go out and support them. The new owners are doing a good job, but our attendance is pretty pathetic.

Buck
06-02-2007, 12:23 AM
This thread is nowhere near Official. I believe it becomes official w/ either 2 or 3 asterisks before and after the name of the thread (can't remember which).

ex.
***~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~***

Sam Hall
06-02-2007, 12:24 AM
I enjoy watching high school soccer much more than the MLS.

Ultra Peanut
06-02-2007, 01:08 AM
I enjoy watching high school soccer much more than the MLS.Well, that's dumb.

CHENZ A!
06-02-2007, 03:17 AM
This thread is nowhere near Official. I believe it becomes official w/ either 2 or 3 asterisks before and after the name of the thread (can't remember which).

ex.
***~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~***

it has to have 4 stars to be official you dipshit chargers fan :)

CHENZ A!
06-02-2007, 03:19 AM
I enjoy watching high school soccer much more than the MLS.

I enjoy watching girls highschool soccer, because those broads are fine, and fit before they go to college and start drinking too much and getting fa

CHIEF4EVER
06-02-2007, 08:31 AM
That England game was thoroughly amusing. England played like shit except for about 15 minutes in the 2nd half (around the 60 minute mark to 75) where they dominated. I thought they were going to pull it out, but it's fitting that Brazil tied it up. They deserved at least a tie for outplaying England the entire game.

It is time for Mc Claren to go. He is a f*cking disgrace. A buttboy for the FA if you will. If England wants to have any success, they need a foreign coach. A Mourinho/SAF/Cappello type in my opinion. It will be a travesty if England fails to qualify for the European Championship with the talent they have.

Simplex3
06-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Every soccer thread needs one "soccer sucks" post on the front page.

This one was just in time.

CHIEF4EVER
06-02-2007, 08:37 AM

Very well. Now go die in a fire BIAAAAAATTCCCCCCHHHHH!!!!!!!!1111one1

:p

Silock
06-02-2007, 01:05 PM

And it should be responded to with an equally original and witty reply like "But Simplex swallows!"

Whew!

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Spain and Latvia right now on FSC.

0-0 with Spain obviously controlling much of the action.

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Latvia was actually going to close out the first half at a scoreless tie, which was pretty impressive until they scored an own goal in injury time.

el oh el

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Spain scores again. This time from a shot just outside of the penalty box off a deflection.

Latvia's had a chance in every game they've played in the tourney but one, and it's supposedly because they have some pretty tough-nosed defense. I can tell you what, though, their defense is marginal -- they shot themselves in the foot by scoring the first goal of the game against their own keeper, and I didn't catch the game but they actually allowed Leichenstein to score on them.

Not to mention their offense is sad. I don't think they're going to repeat their success from the last ECQ.

That said, Spain's really underwhelming. They're as talented as any other team in Group F but they're getting beat by the good teams and barely creeping by the bad ones. They've scored two goals today but both of them were off fluke mistakes.

WoodDraw
06-02-2007, 02:06 PM
I agree, Spain has looked underwhelming so far. They have one own goal and one goal that was more luck than anything. Plus, Latvia has been unable to finish on a couple chances. Ugly game all around so far.

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure why FSC is showing the Germany-San Marino slaughter, but there you have it.

I guess the bonus is you can see the German Scoring Machine in action.

Stewie
06-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Didn't the tickets for Beckham's visit to KC in September go on sale today? I'll be interested to see how many more tickets the guy sells considering his fame.

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Didn't the tickets for Beckham's visit to KC in September go on sale today? I'll be interested to see how many more tickets the guy sells considering his fame.
I was under the impression those tickets don't go on sale until July.

At least that's what the FAQ at the Wizards' website says.

That said, please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm trying to coordinate 10 people to go with me to the game.

Stinger
06-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Proud Poppa here .... My son scores the winning goal in todays U-10 finale. 18 yard strike to beat the keeper.

PBJ PBJ

WoodDraw
06-02-2007, 02:59 PM
I was under the impression those tickets don't go on sale until July.

At least that's what the FAQ at the Wizards' website says.

That said, please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm trying to coordinate 10 people to go with me to the game.

Nope, they went on sale today. There was a note in the Sports section today about it.

|Zach|
06-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Prob hitting up the Wizards game tonight

Stewie
06-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Proud Poppa here .... My son scores the winning goal in todays U-10 finale. 18 yard strike to beat the keeper.

PBJ PBJ

Very cool Stinger. I hope you're going to take him out for his favorite dinner for that feat.

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 03:05 PM

PBJ PBJ
You should ground him for allowing the game to be that close.

THAT GAME SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUT AWAY BY THEN.

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Wow, they moved the date up an entire month due to demand.

Geez.

Stewie
06-02-2007, 03:14 PM
I checked out the ticket selection for the Galaxy visit and they have some great seats left. Club section, mid-field, $50/each. They don't show tickets for the upper deck, but I bet they will eventually.

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 03:16 PM
I checked out the ticket selection for the Galaxy visit and they have some great seats left. Club section, mid-field, $50/each. They don't show tickets for the upper deck, but I bet they will eventually.
God, they upped the price, too.

Ugh.

Stinger
06-02-2007, 03:20 PM
You should ground him for allowing the game to be that close.

THAT GAME SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUT AWAY BY THEN.

I know my wife blames the coach .... But I tried to tell her I was doing the best that I could. :D

Actually it was a great match both team had their chances we just finished a little better. Proud of all my kids today, they made their coach proud, and very hoarse. :)

Very cool Stinger. I hope you're going to take him out for his favorite dinner for that feat.

Funny he said the same thing kind of jokingly and half serious. I told him I would pay for him if he would pay Jason for the perfect pass that set up his goal. He thought for a moment and said ok but can we just do fast food instead, since he did not have that much monsy. I just smiled even wider I said we will work something out.

Little does he know that I have already asked Jason to join us for dinner tonight at his favorite resturant my treat for both. (Japanese food this evening)

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Well about 45 minutes in on Germany-San Marino, and the game's about as you would expect it to be.

1-0, Germany taking about one shot per minute, with San Marino packing their own box. They're so dedicated to a defensive shut down they're not sending their sole forward any help whatsoever.

Pretty funny moment around 40 minutes, when keeper Jens Lehmann fumbled the ball away to Manuel Marani on the baseline. Marani sends the ball across the middle with no keeper in, but nobody else from San Marino's even past the half-field mark.

Silock
06-02-2007, 03:22 PM

I'm going to laugh if Beckham doesn't even play.

WoodDraw
06-02-2007, 03:23 PM
God, they upped the price, too.

Ugh.

Paper said $35, so I'd check out all the prices before you pay too much. If your having problems, just call or email the front office. They're good about responding and helping out.

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Paper said $35, so I'd check out all the prices before you pay too much. If your having problems, just call or email the front office. They're good about responding and helping out.
Thank you very much. Rep.

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Anybody see Sweden-Denmark?

Apparently the game was in its 90th minute, tied up 3-3, and Sweden was awarded a PK.

Just as they're lining up for the kick, a fan gets on the field and injures the ref, so they had to postpone the game.

First of all, are you honestly telling me they don't have a backup ref on hand in case something like this happens? Second, what the hell happens now? The teams convene at a later date for the PK and the rest of injury time?

WoodDraw
06-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Anybody see Sweden-Denmark?

Apparently the game was in its 90th minute, tied up 3-3, and Sweden was awarded a PK.

Just as they're lining up for the kick, a fan gets on the field and injures the ref, so they had to postpone the game.

First of all, are you honestly telling me they don't have a backup ref on hand in case something like this happens? Second, what the hell happens now? The teams convene at a later date for the PK and the rest of injury time?

I didn't see it, but I heard the report on FSC. I'm assuming they postponed due to the violence, not for lack of a ref. FIFA might just reward the win to Sweden.

WoodDraw
06-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Germany up 3-0 on a goal off a corner kick and PK. San Marino also got a red card. I think this one may be over...

Silock
06-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Anyone going to the Wizards game tonight?

I think I'm going to drag the wife out there.

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Germany up 3-0 on a goal off a corner kick and PK. San Marino also got a red card. I think this one may be over...
Well it's tape delay, so the game was technically over before the game started.

I'm just surprised San Marino held them to one goal at halftime.

After that, it's slaughter.

CHIEF4EVER
06-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Gomez coming on for Kuranyi.

WoodDraw
06-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Well it's tape delay, so the game was technically over before the game started.

I'm just surprised San Marino held them to one goal at halftime.

After that, it's slaughter.

Hah, didn't notice that. Well at least I hit the exact moment the melt down began.

Skip Towne
06-02-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm thinking about becoming a fairy. How can I learn about soccer?

Logical
06-02-2007, 06:37 PM
The Good Fairy or the Tooth Fairy?

CHIEF4EVER
06-02-2007, 06:39 PM

I'm thinking about becoming a morphodite. Please tell me about how hard it is to suck your own cock. LMAO

WoodDraw
06-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Mathis sent off for an elbow to the kneck. Good news for Wizards. Now let's actually finish something..

Skip Towne
06-02-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm thinking about becoming a morphodite. Please tell me about how hard it is to suck your own cock. LMAO
Then you would have both a vag and a dick. Hey! You could go fu*k yourself! :LOL:

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 06:48 PM
The first step involves sucking me off.

I like to keep my boys comfortable while you're at it, so be sure to take care of the entire region as you get to it.

Skip Towne
06-02-2007, 07:00 PM
The first step involves sucking me off.

I like to keep my boys comfortable while you're at it, so be sure to take care of the entire region as you get to it.
Naw, I'm going to start out with straight guys.

Delano
06-02-2007, 07:18 PM

Who needs a new signature line? Anyone?

Silock
06-02-2007, 08:55 PM
WIZARDS FTW!!!!!!!!

What a fantastic game! I took the wife and we sat in the Cauldron. Man, what an experience!

Eddie Johnson with back to back hat tricks. That's just nuts. Sucks that the Wizards are losing him, but it's great news for the Gold Cup team that he and Twellman will be up front.

WoodDraw
06-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Losing Johnson will hurt. Thankfully we have Sealy back, but he didn't look good in limited time today.

Amazing game though. Enjoy EJ while he's still here. If he keeps this play up he'll be headed to Europe. The Gold Cup will be a big test for him.

Silock
06-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Sealy was alright. He just wasn't EJ. If Sealy or Movsisyan can get on point, we'll survive without him. We got Jimmy back, and that's good. He'll probably get called up for Copa America, though.

noa
06-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Here's the ending of the Denmark/Sweden game:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T2cAyIE3KM0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T2cAyIE3KM0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 09:28 PM
So why would Sweden get the win, again?

WoodDraw
06-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Sealy was alright. He just wasn't EJ. If Sealy or Movsisyan can get on point, we'll survive without him. We got Jimmy back, and that's good. He'll probably get called up for Copa America, though.

His shot off that pass from EJ (?) was horrible. We'll survive, but we'll be a different team. EJ has been the league MVP so far though, so that's to be expected.

Silock
06-02-2007, 09:35 PM
His shot off that pass from EJ (?) was horrible. We'll survive, but we'll be a different team. EJ has been the league MVP so far though, so that's to be expected.

I agree, but EJ should have been up there supporting him.

Sealy's shot was bad, but his possession and passing were pretty good. That's about what you expect from a guy that's missed a month (or is it longer?).

WoodDraw
06-02-2007, 09:36 PM
So why would Sweden get the win, again?

For Denmark's inability to control their fans. FIFA and UEFA take that seriously. Apparantly more fans ran on after the ref walked off.

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Ah, forgot the game was not being played on a neutral field.

Skip Towne
06-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Thay!!! This is thwell!!

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Thay!!! This is thwell!!
Aren't you supposed to be watching some syndicated episodes of "Matlock" right now? :p

|Zach|
06-02-2007, 10:22 PM
KANSAS CITY -- Eddie Johnson became the first player in MLS history to register back-to-back hat tricks Saturday, sending the Kansas City Wizards to the top of Major League Soccer's Eastern Conference in a 3-2 win against the visiting New York Red Bulls.

Johnson, playing in his last match before departing for the CONCACAF Gold Cup, scored all of his goals in the second half of the top-of-the-table match. In doing so, he took over the league lead in goals with nine. It was a dramatic win for the Wizards against a Red Bulls side that, coming into the match, had allowed just four goals on the season and had yet to lose on the road.

The Wizards' win, assisted by a red card shown to Red Bulls midfielder Clint Mathis, put them at 19 points, two ahead of the Red Bulls and one ahead of the New England Revolution, who tied Real Salt Lake at home Saturday.

The Wizards starting lineup featured a fully stocked backline one week after the entire unit, save right back Jack Jewsbury, missed Kansas City's 4-3 win at New England. The Red Bulls welcomed back former U.S. international Claudio Reyna to their lineup.

The match started like a top-of-the-table contest should -- with plenty of chances. Off a corner earned by Johnson in the second minute, Carlos Marinelli served a deadly ball in the box that both Sasha Victorine and Jimmy Conrad had a crack at. Victorine's powerful header went straight to New York goalkeeper Jon Conway, who blocked but couldn't hold it. Conrad's follow went over the bar.

Despite another strong Wizards chance four minutes later, the Red Bulls came back with a vengeance in the eighth minute. At the upper right corner of the box, Reyna chipped for John Wolyniec positioned centrally in the box. His flick found an unmarked Juan Pablo Angel at the far post and Angel's sliding volley found the back of Kevin Hartman's net to give New York the lead and put pressure on the home side.

Right winger Davy Arnaud crossed for and found reigning MLS Player of the Week Johnson open in the box in the 16th minute. Johnson bolted a header that forced goalkeeper Conway the wrong way, but Conway's trailing feet made fortunate contact and took away the would-be equalizer.

Though the Red Bulls looked the sharper side midway through the half, things would look up for Wizards in the 35th minute. First, Marinelli played a ball into space behind the Red Bulls backline for a running Johnson, who rounded Conway and shot for goal. However, three New York defenders had tracked back and ushered the ball away.

Then, hassled by Kansas City midfielder Kerry Zavagnin near midfield while trying to keep possession, Clint Mathis backed into and then elbowed Zavagnin in the neck area. Referee Jair Marrufo arrived quickly on the scene and sent Mathis to the locker room.

Wizards attack, relentless after Mathis' sending-off, leveled the match nearly immediately after the break. Johnson gathered a ball lofted over the top from the midfield and looped a shot over Conway, who saw the ball elude his grasp and bound into the net. Johnson's elation led him to remove his shirt and receive an expected yellow card.

New York continued to absorb the Wizards' pressure and was successful in slowing the match by getting numbers behind the ball. Showing their tactical sense, Kansas City's backs began to push the offense wide. And it was a ball sent out to left back Jose Burciaga, Jr., by playmaker Marinelli in the 59th minute that led to the Wizards taking the lead.

Burciaga's full steam dash toward the end line ended with hard, low cross through the crowded box that found Johnson at the far post. The 23-year-old calmly put the ball home and the Wizards had a reward for their persistence.

The Wizards dominated the rest of the match and got needed insurance in the 86th minute as Victorine had time and space in middle of the Red Bulls' end to play through for Johnson, who made no mistake slotting the ball inside Conway's near post. The goal completed Johnson's hat trick, making him the first in MLS history to score three or more goals in consecutive matches.

The Red Bulls would not go quietly, though, as midfielder Dema Kovalenko struck two minutes later to make the remaining minutes tense. The Wizards survived and succeeded in replacing the Red Bulls atop the conference.

Bob Rusert is a contributor to MLSnet.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

New York Red Bulls (5-2-2) vs. Kansas City Wizards (6-2-1)
June 02, 2007 -- Arrowhead Stadium

Scoring Summary:
NY -- Juan Pablo Angel 4 (John Wolyniec 2, Claudio Reyna 2) 8
KC -- Eddie Johnson 7 (Michael Harrington 3) 46
KC -- Eddie Johnson 8 (Jose Burciaga Jr. 2, Carlos Marinelli 2) 59
KC -- Eddie Johnson 9 (Sasha Victorine 3) 85
NY -- Dema Kovalenko 1 (unassisted) 88

New York Red Bulls -- Jon Conway, Dema Kovalenko, Jeff Parke (Taylor Graham 46), Carlos Mendes, Seth Stammler (Jozy Altidore 81), Claudio Reyna, Dane Richards, Clint Mathis, Dave van den Bergh, John Wolyniec (Sinisa Ubiparipovic 55), Juan Pablo Angel.

Substitutes Not Used: Sal Caccavale, Danny Cepero, Tim Regan, Markus Schopp

Kansas City Wizards -- Kevin Hartman, Jack Jewsbury, Jimmy Conrad, Nick Garcia, Jose Burciaga Jr. (Scott Sealy 72), Davy Arnaud, Kerry Zavagnin, Michael Harrington, Sasha Victorine, Eddie Johnson, Carlos Marinelli (Kurt Morsink 83).

Substitutes Not Used: Aaron Hohlbein, Eric Kronberg, Ryan Pore, Ryan Raybould, Tyson Wahl

Silock
06-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Shots:

KC - 24
NY - 3

LOL

Ultra Peanut
06-02-2007, 10:38 PM
EJ is on an incredible tear right now. Jesus.

The Nats game was fun. Benny's goal was fantastic, and DMB looked great. Beating a half-decent opponent like China 4-1 with an assortment of unproven talent filling up so much of the roster was nice, and it was good to see Davies, Hill, and Nguyen get their first caps.

Direckshun
06-02-2007, 10:51 PM
It was a nice win for the Nats, but lord, China looked awful. Simply awful.

I remember they had a set kick from the left side out of the field from just beyond the penalty kick, and the kick sailed a mile off to the side, completely unplayable by anybody not in a helicopter hovering above the field.

Edit: Good news to anybody staying up late tonight -- they're replaying England vs. Brazil at 1CT on FSC. England evaporates this game except for one ten minute patch in the second half.

WoodDraw
06-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd call China even half-decent. Our U-23s would have a decent shot...

Wizards' attendance was 13,875. Pretty good, all things considered. Watching soccer on a football field just sucks. There is nothing I hate more than turning on a soccer game and seeing football lines. Time for the new stadium...

Silock
06-03-2007, 05:00 AM
Wizards new practice facility

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ps_6NMe6Nto"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ps_6NMe6Nto" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Silock
06-04-2007, 06:16 PM
All hail the Cauldron! Support your Wizards!

Post-game celebration
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wvtRGM9XcD0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wvtRGM9XcD0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

CHIEF4EVER
06-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Nice goal by Dempsey. So far we have looked absolutely miserable against Guatemala, a team we should wipe the floor with. Bornstein is going to struggle against fast wingers. I think we are just a bit flat...nothing to panic about.

CHIEF4EVER
06-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Eddie J about to come in and not a second too soon. Now Bradley needs to get someone in for Bornstein to stop him from getting abused by Avila. Nice game by Clint.

CHIEF4EVER
06-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Gooch just got sent off for his second yellow.

CHIEF4EVER
06-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Well, we escaped 1-0. I hope we don't play this poorly against T & T or El Salvador. Bob Bradley still has some work to do.

carlos3652
06-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Just watched the Libertadores Boca 3-0 over the Colombian side to win 4-3 on agg...

Boca Juniors vs Gremio for the Finals! Woohoo!

Also, Cant wait for the Argentina vs USA game in the Copa America! Hope your team can get it together by then... You played very poor vs a very aggresive yet very beatable Guatemalan side... On a good day, this game would have been 3-0 scoreline...

Silock
06-08-2007, 05:01 AM
Well, we escaped 1-0. I hope we don't play this poorly against T & T or El Salvador. Bob Bradley still has some work to do.

First half was excellent by the US. They were getting everyone into the rhythm of the game, had multiple chances to put shots in the net. It should have been 3-0 at the half, but I'll cut them a break because it's a young squad and this tournament isn't a friendly -- it's the real deal.

Second half, the ref just let the game get out of control. That was absolutely ridiculous on his part. You gotta put an end to that shit before it gets started. Sadly, I think other teams are going to use this as the blueprint for how to keep themselves in a game against the US. I'm proud of our guys. I thought they battled hard, and overcame some adversity in getting this win. We'll see what happens on Saturday. The US has been playing so well as of late, they're entitled to have an off-day. They still got the win, though, and that's what's important. I still think they could have done something in the 2nd half if they hadn't been playing a man down. Their first 2 subs didn't lend themselves very well to playing with 10 guys, yet they were able to get it done for 25 minutes that way.

This game reminded me just how much I ****ing HATE Carlos Ruiz. Every time I see him play, he's playing like a piece of shit assclown. He's always fouling guys, but rarely enough for a single foul to be card-worthy -- he just does it constantly. It's bullshit. He should have gotten a card for his hit on Donovan.

I don't think it's fair to say that the US played "poorly." They were just getting physically beat up on the field, and that never lends itself well to the type of play the US likes to have. They certainly didn't have their best game, but they didn't play "poorly." Also, I don't think you're going to get to see the US WC squad play in Copa America. All signs point to that squad being the younger players.

WoodDraw
06-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Gooch just got sent off for his second yellow.

What a horrible game by him. Say what you want about the ref, but be smart when you are playing with a yellow. He was out of position all day, and made stupid fouls. I'm happy to see him out for the next game.

Overall, ugly game. Can we please get someone other than Donovan to take our set pieces? Donovan played well aside from that. Ref sucked, really sucked.

Silock
06-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Yeah, Gooch sucks.

I think Donovan is the one to take set pieces because he's so short.

WoodDraw
06-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Yeah, Gooch sucks.

I think Donovan is the one to take set pieces because he's so short.

He made a few really nice crosses, but his set pieces were garbage. Others people are just more talented than he is there. Nothing wrong with that...he is still our best player...he just shouldn't be taking them. Guatemala just plays the style we have the hardest time against. They bunker hard and foul as a counter to our tactical and physical strength over them. When the ref lets them get away with it and we have no response, our team has a hard time countering.

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 01:03 PM
If you want to see a compelling match before the USA - T & T match, go to GolTV now. Real Madrid has the chance to clinch La Liga with a win v Zaragoza. Becks is playing today.

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 01:42 PM
WOW. Zaragoza takes a 1-0 lead on a very questionable penalty being given. Espanyol also are 1-0 up over Barcelona. Sevilla could sneak the title lead going into the final week if the first 2 results stay the same and they can win.

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Lionel Messi = Diego Maradonna Part 2. Barca goes level with a "Hand of Go..err...Messi" goal.

Direckshun
06-09-2007, 01:57 PM
CONCACAF Group B -- piece of cake. No reason US can't go 3-0.

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Cheating prick Messi and Van Nistelrooy both score. 2-1 Barcelona and 1-1 Real.

the Talking Can
06-09-2007, 02:18 PM
jesus, there's 100 channels of bs on and no one is going to carry the US National team....

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 02:19 PM
jesus, there's 100 channels of bs on and no one is going to carry the US National team....

FSC @ 4pm.

the Talking Can
06-09-2007, 02:20 PM
FSC @ 4pm.

so of course I don't get that one...I'm assuming it is a relative of FSN, which I do receive...

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 02:24 PM
so of course I don't get that one...I'm assuming it is a relative of FSN, which I do receive...It's a DirecTV channel I got with the Sports Pack along with GolTV. Do you have Broadband TC? If so I will hook you up with a link to a site you can watch it at online.

the Talking Can
06-09-2007, 02:28 PM
It's a DirecTV channel I got with the Sports Pack along with GolTV. Do you have Broadband TC? If so I will hook you up with a link to a site you can watch it at online.

ah, yo no tengo DirccTV, but I do have good broadband

oh yeah....that would be greatly appreciated, even extending to non-threating rep!

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 02:31 PM
ah, yo no tengo DirccTV, but I do have good broadband

oh yeah....that would be greatly appreciated, even extending to non-threating rep!

LMAO

Give me a few minutes to ask a dude I know on the soccer site I am part of what it is. He watches football (soccer) like that all the time.

the Talking Can
06-09-2007, 02:33 PM
LMAO

Give me a few minutes to ask a dude I know on the soccer site I am part of what it is. He watches football (soccer) like that all the time.

sweet...I'm go run for a snack before the game, be back in a sec...

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 02:39 PM
sweet...I'm go run for a snack before the game, be back in a sec...
Try www.live-footy.org (http://www.live-footy.org)

If that doesn't work, you should be able to watch it in Spanish on Univision, Galavision or Telefutura if you get those channels from your provider.

Edit: Just checked the site. They ARE streaming the game.

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Ruud scores again! 2-2 in the Real match! And Espanyol just scored again! 2-2 in the Barca game!

the Talking Can
06-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Try www.live-footy.org (http://www.live-footy.org)

If that doesn't work, you should be able to watch it in Spanish on Univision, Galavision or Telefutura if you get those channels from your provider.

Edit: Just checked the site. They ARE streaming the game.

thanks, looks like a great site....I forgot about Sopcast, installing it now

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 02:58 PM
WOW. La Liga is going to come down to the wire. Most exciting season finish imaginable. Real remains on top by GOAL DIFFERENCE. Sevilla is eliminated from contention for the title. Next weekend it will be decided between Real Madrid and Barcelona. Oh, and Lionel Messi is still a hand ball goal scoring cheating scumbag.

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Good to see Spector and Demerit getting the start in the back 4. Ching and Eddie J are the starting strikers. Looks like Bradley is still trying to figure out the best mixture which is good to see IMO. Nobody is an automatic starter.

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 03:31 PM
This has to be the worlds worst linesman. Both Ralston and EJ were ONSIDE.

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Cha CHING!!!!!!!! 1-0.

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 04:07 PM
By all rights we should be up 4 or 5 to nil right now. We just needed to finish a bit better. The linesman is a complete disgrace. 3 consecutive offside calls that were clearly ONSIDE.

WoodDraw
06-09-2007, 04:08 PM
This has to be the worlds worst linesman. Both Ralston and EJ were ONSIDE.

Yeah, how many calls has he ****ed up so far? Three?

This broadcast is crap too. Why am I watching replays while there are goal scoring chances going on? Too many close up shots too.

the Talking Can
06-09-2007, 04:10 PM
wow...sopcast finally working...some Chinese commercial was playing over and over...then you saw the desktop of some chinese dude while he was resetting his server...watched his mouse move around his desktop on the otherside of the world lol

game on for 2nd half

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 04:18 PM
wow...sopcast finally working...some Chinese commercial was playing over and over...then you saw the desktop of some chinese dude while he was resetting his server...watched his mouse move around his desktop on the otherside of the world lol

game on for 2nd half

Sweet. Well, at least now you know where to go for football any time you want to watch it. Should be a good second half. By all rights we should be up 4-0 AT LEAST right now instead of 1-0. The boys look pretty good.

the Talking Can
06-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Sweet. Well, at least now you know where to go for football any time you want to watch it. Should be a good second half. By all rights we should be up 4-0 AT LEAST right now instead of 1-0. The boys look pretty good.

good to hear, hopefully they'll come out strong for the second...

bookmarked that site, very handy

the Talking Can
06-09-2007, 04:28 PM
sweet cross to Ching... so close

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 04:30 PM
GOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! EJ! Text book counter.

the Talking Can
06-09-2007, 04:32 PM
goooooaaaaaaaalllllllll!

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Silvio Spann has a cannon for a leg.

Ultra Peanut
06-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Simek really impressed me. Good to see Mapp and EJ produce some things, too. Hope the Grown Ass Man is okay.

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Nice showing by our boys all in all. Bear in mind that the T & T team we faced had none of the WC players on it due to a pay dispute. I like the way the back 4 played in particular. Simek and Spector had a great match. Ching looked good but could have finished better than he did. The entire team played a great game as a group.

the Talking Can
06-09-2007, 05:15 PM
hadn't seen them play in a while, looked aggressive but probably wasted too many advantages...hope Johnson is ok...

Silock
06-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Good win. Could have been better, and probably would have if it weren't for those terrible offsides calls in the beginning of the game. That was 3 consecutive calls where it would have been 1v1 vs the keeper.

We need to get better at the forward spot, but as it is now, we're good enough to win the Gold Cup.

That being said, I'd rather win Copa America :(

Silock
06-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Oh yeah, Simek and Demerit were great.

Clarke was a bit inconsistent, but I like him to stay.

Donovan rocks.

I want to see Kenny Cooper up front.

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 11:48 PM
We need to get better at the forward spot, but as it is now, we're good enough to win the Gold Cup.

I think the talent is there but a bit raw. Adequate enough for CONCACAF but we need to finish our opportunities better to play with the big boys.

I agree. We need to be playing more quality teams even if it means we get our asses handed to us a few times by teams better than us. It is the only way we are going to get better. So far, I like what Bradley is doing. He has installed an attacking style of football that appeals to me (being a Man United fan) which is already a HUGE leap over what we did in the past. He also seems to be making each player EARN their spot on the field which is how it is supposed to be done. He isn't afraid to plug young guys in and see what they have in actual competition.

WoodDraw
06-10-2007, 12:46 AM
I want to see Kenny Cooper up front.

He was actually injured in his game today on a hard tackle. Effing Galaxy...

WoodDraw
06-10-2007, 12:51 AM

CONCACAF is trash, but we're stuck with it. I'm just glad we're playing in CA this year. The US had to put its full strength behind the Gold Cup. I don't blame Donovan for not wanting to miss even more of the MLS season. It's a tough situation. CA will be great experience for the young guys though.

Silock
06-10-2007, 01:15 AM
I think the talent is there but a bit raw. Adequate enough for CONCACAF but we need to finish our opportunities better to play with the big boys.

I agree. We need to be playing more quality teams even if it means we get our asses handed to us a few times by teams better than us. It is the only way we are going to get better. So far, I like what Bradley is doing. He has installed an attacking style of football that appeals to me (being a Man United fan) which is already a HUGE leap over what we did in the past. He also seems to be making each player EARN their spot on the field which is how it is supposed to be done. He isn't afraid to plug young guys in and see what they have in actual competition.

We just don't have the players to put in there that some people are clamoring for. I think Bradley has done an excellent job gameplanning with the personnel he has, taking advantage of our fitness and running other teams into the ground. If that's what it takes to win, then so be it. We had 10 new guys starting today. So, we basically have two different teams that are capable of dominating games at this level.

I don't think Bradley is stupid enough to leave out a guy that could genuinely help this team more than any guy currently on the squad. We still have a long way to go before the World Cup. Nothing happens over night, and the fact that we're seeing improvement from our young players, getting them the experience in international competition that they need all while improving the quality of play on the field leads me to believe that we are headed very much in the right direction.

Silock
06-13-2007, 06:19 AM
And yet again, I had to watch the game on DVR.

The only guy I wasn't impressed with this game was Bornstein. He's fast, but holy shit - he loses possession WAY too easily. Michael Bradley is decent, but we could live without him. However, I'm glad he and Feilhaber and Bornstein are getting some international tournament experience. That will certainly help in 2010.

Our backline and midfield is going to be very, very solid for the next WC campaign. Bradley, Feilhaber, Bornstein in the middle, with Simek and Spector in the back. That's a solid core right there. If some of our current U20 guys can step up next year and in '09, we should at least make it past the group stage in the next WC.

I'm also impressed with Bradley. He took a lot of undeserved heat, but he's experimenting with different formations and totally new starting lineups and STILL winning. Haven't lost a game this year, and haven't allowed a goal in the Gold Cup, nor have we lost a game there -- the only team in the Cup to do that.

I'm sold so far.

WoodDraw
06-13-2007, 01:56 PM
The thing with Bradley is he is only 19. He's nothing special right now, but he has plenty of time to develop. Like you said, this is all great experience for the young guys come the next WC.

Dempsey played really well. Donovan was good, the creepy PK warm up aside. The back and midfield are both solid - good depth and play. I just wish we had a better true attacking threat. Beasley didn't impress me much considering his chances. Poor finishing by a number of players in the last few games.

Silock
06-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Just bought some new boots :)

Puma 1.06k.

http://www.soccer.com/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/600/31325.JPG
http://www.soccer.com/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/600/31325.FW18.JPG
http://www.soccer.com/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/600/31325.FW20.JPG
http://www.soccer.com/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/600/31325.FW19.JPG

It's like a pair of socks with cleats on them. They're the lightest shoes I've ever had. They're about as light as my old track spikes. It's insane. They're incredibly soft, too. Now all that's left is to break them in so I can wear them next week :) Plus, carbon fiber soles FTW!

7 oz of pure sex! They make my old 12 oz shoes feel like lead weights.

CHIEF4EVER
06-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Just bought some new boots :)

Puma 1.06k.

http://www.soccer.com/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/600/31325.JPG
http://www.soccer.com/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/600/31325.FW18.JPG
http://www.soccer.com/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/600/31325.FW20.JPG
http://www.soccer.com/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/600/31325.FW19.JPG

It's like a pair of socks with cleats on them. They're the lightest shoes I've ever had. They're about as light as my old track spikes. It's insane. They're incredibly soft, too. Now all that's left is to break them in so I can wear them next week :) Plus, carbon fiber soles FTW!

7 oz of pure sex! They make my old 12 oz shoes feel like lead weights.

How much did those set you back? I am thinking about getting new boots as I am training to play in a league in Springfield. I still have my 13 year old boots here at home that I wore in Germany but the boots seem to be getting lighter and more high tech these days. I'm not sure I am a fan of the cleats on those boots in the picture though. I always like my boots to have detatchable cleats for different pitch types.

Logical
06-15-2007, 07:41 PM
How much did those set you back? I am thinking about getting new boots as I am training to play in a league in Springfield. I still have my 13 year old boots here at home that I wore in Germany but the boots seem to be getting lighter and more high tech these days. I'm not sure I am a fan of the cleats on those boots in the picture though. I always like my boots to have detatchable cleats for different pitch types.

Just curious is this a soccer thing to call those boots? They appear to be what we call cleats?

CHIEF4EVER
06-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Just curious is this a soccer thing to call those boots? They appear to be what we call cleats?
Cleats would be the knobs on the bottom of the soles. I don't plan to wear just the soles with the knobs. The entire product (in football circles - soccer circles to you) are called boots. It's a thing called tradition. :p :D

Just kidding Jim. Yes, it is normal to call them boots.

Logical
06-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Cleats would be the knobs on the bottom of the soles. I don't plan to wear just the soles with the knobs. The entire product (in football circles - soccer circles to you) are called boots. It's a thing called tradition. :P :D

That is cool in football tradition (American football to you) they are called shoes with cleats or just cleats. We do have hightop cleats which would resemble actual boots.

CHIEF4EVER
06-15-2007, 07:56 PM
That is cool in football tradition (American football to you) they are called shoes with cleats or just cleats. We do have hightop cleats which would resemble actual boots.

LMAO

I appreciate good sarcasm.

Touche'

Silock
06-15-2007, 08:03 PM

$175. Not bad, really.

The only really modern boots I've seen with interchangeable studs is the Adidas TUNIT F50.7. I hate the material their uppers are made out of though.

CHIEF4EVER
06-15-2007, 08:09 PM
$175. Not bad, really.

The only really modern boots I've seen with interchangeable studs is the Adidas TUNIT F50.7. I hate the material their uppers are made out of though.

I wish we had a store here in the Springfield area where I could go and try on a few pairs of the new boots from different manufacturers. I was always an Adidas man when I played in Berlin. My old boots are in superb shape and only weigh about 12 or 13 oz and have interchangeable studs but a new set of boots would be nice too. So far I am leaning toward the F 50.7 because I can buy the upper, sole and cleat configuration seperately and build a boot that is custom fitted to my liking but I am open minded. Your boots are SEVEN EFFING OUNCES? that is unreal.

Silock
06-15-2007, 08:14 PM
I wish we had a store here in the Springfield area where I could go and try on a few pairs of the new boots from different manufacturers. I was always an Adidas man when I played in Berlin. My old boots are in superb shape and only weigh about 12 or 13 oz and have interchangeable studs but a new set of boots would be nice too. So far I am leaning toward the F 50.7 because I can buy the upper, sole and cleat configuration seperately and build a boot that is custom fitted to my liking but I am open minded. Your boots are SEVEN EFFING OUNCES? that is unreal.

I wore them playing yesterday. They're incredible.

The only bad thing about the F.50 is that the uppers are too thick for my taste. And they're synthetic leather. I prefer real K-leather on my boots. The synthetic just doesn't have the right flexibility or touch, IMO.

CHIEF4EVER
06-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Check this site out Silock. This is what I am talking about. The stuff on this site is a bit pricey but you can get nearly anything you want.

The Adidas Footwear portion of the site:

http://www.worldsoccerdailyshop.com/departments-footwear-adidas--f50-tunit-soccer-shoes.html

Silock
06-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah. You can also try soccer.com.

I have a Goal Club membership with them, so if you're looking at both sites and find something cheaper with teh soccer.com Goal Club pricing, you can use my membership and order something. I don't mind.

CHIEF4EVER
06-15-2007, 08:23 PM
I wore them playing yesterday. They're incredible.

The only bad thing about the F.50 is that the uppers are too thick for my taste. And they're synthetic leather. I prefer real K-leather on my boots. The synthetic just doesn't have the right flexibility or touch, IMO.

How are the soles on your boots? Are they so thin that you get pain in the balls of your feet or are they adequately cushioned? What about the uppers? Are the uppers so thin that you get pain from striking a ball hard or a collision? How is the grip of the cleats? Just curious.

CHIEF4EVER
06-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Yeah. You can also try soccer.com.

I have a Goal Club membership with them, so if you're looking at both sites and find something cheaper with teh soccer.com Goal Club pricing, you can use my membership and order something. I don't mind.

Cool. Thank you.

BTW, do you playin a local league there in Olathe or just pickup matches? What position do you play?

Silock
06-15-2007, 09:06 PM
How are the soles on your boots? Are they so thin that you get pain in the balls of your feet or are they adequately cushioned? What about the uppers? Are the uppers so thin that you get pain from striking a ball hard or a collision? How is the grip of the cleats? Just curious.

They're cushioned enough. They have foam inserts in them. I also wear a little thicker socks (Adidas Climacool socks), so I haven't noticed anything.

The uppers are thin, but there's no pain from striking the ball. It definitely would hurt to get stepped on, though.

Grip is amazing. That could be because my feet feel so light, though. It doesn't feel like I'm wearing them at all.

Silock
06-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Cool. Thank you.

BTW, do you playin a local league there in Olathe or just pickup matches? What position do you play?

I play in an indoor league at All-American Indoor Sports. Or at least, I used to. I think indoor hurts my knees too much, so I might have to quit. I always play D there.

For outdoor, I play on Tuesday and Thursday nights at a local park in pickup games. The guys I play with are from Turkey, Colombia, Iran, Peru, Scotland, England, and a couple of Americans. There's not really any set positions there, so I usually end up playing midfield, because I like making runs for the attack, but I also have to help out on defense, because people are usually too tired to run back and defend, except me lol

CHIEF4EVER
06-15-2007, 09:22 PM
I play in an indoor league at All-American Indoor Sports. Or at least, I used to. I think indoor hurts my knees too much, so I might have to quit. I always play D there.
I hear ya. When I played, we only trained indoors in a gym type facility during the winter. That hard surface can wreak havoc with your joints if you play league matches regularly on it.For outdoor, I play on Tuesday and Thursday nights at a local park in pickup games. The guys I play with are from Turkey, Colombia, Iran, Peru, Scotland, England, and a couple of Americans. There's not really any set positions there, so I usually end up playing midfield, because I like making runs for the attack, but I also have to help out on defense, because people are usually too tired to run back and defend, except me lol
I always loved pickup matches. You just outlined the downside....people getting back to defend. No matter where you go it is always the same with pickup matches.....only about 3 or 4 ever run back to play D. Everyone else gets caught up in ball watching with their hands on their hips until the next attack. LMAO

By the way, if you like good football discussion, here is a good board:

http://s9.invisionfree.com/WSW/index.php?

It is the Message Board for World Soccer Daily. WSD is a daily show on Sirius Channel 125. Outstanding program and good chat on the board as well.

Silock
06-15-2007, 10:05 PM
I hear ya. When I played, we only trained indoors in a gym type facility during the winter. That hard surface can wreak havoc with your joints if you play league matches regularly on it.

Yeah. It's not the usual surface, though. It's the same kind of surface that the Chiefs use at the Arrowhead indoor practice facility. Long artificial turf with rubber pellets to further soften the turf. It's still not outdoors, though.

I always loved pickup matches. You just outlined the downside....people getting back to defend. No matter where you go it is always the same with pickup matches.....only about 3 or 4 ever run back to play D. Everyone else gets caught up in ball watching with their hands on their hips until the next attack. LMAO

Heh... yeah. I'm pretty much a lock-down defender, though, so I don't mind. Hardly anyone can get by me, and I'm usually the one that starts the counter-attack. Makes me feel important lol

By the way, if you like good football discussion, here is a good board:

http://s9.invisionfree.com/WSW/index.php?

It is the Message Board for World Soccer Daily. WSD is a daily show on Sirius Channel 125. Outstanding program and good chat on the board as well.

I'll have to check that out. I usually hang out at BigSoccer.com on their boards and chat with local Wizards fans and guys that come out to the pickup games.

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Only 15 minutes until the US v Panama quarterfinal match.

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Looks like Gooch is getting the start at Center Half. Donovan, Mastroeni, Bradley and Beasley in midfield. Dempsey and Twellman striking.

the Talking Can
06-16-2007, 02:16 PM
arrgh..so close

the Talking Can
06-16-2007, 02:31 PM
christ they are dirty whiners...the soccer equivalent of Rasheed Wallace

and twellman has missed twice

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 02:32 PM
That was close by Twellman.

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 02:32 PM
christ they are dirty whiners...the soccer equivelant of Rasheed Wallace

LMAO

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 02:34 PM
He got the ball first. Bad yellow card call on Hejduk.

the Talking Can
06-16-2007, 02:36 PM
lol...as soon as I say that Hejduk takes someone out

the Talking Can
06-16-2007, 02:40 PM
so many missed/wasted opportunities...

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 02:41 PM
BULL EFFING SHIT! THAT WAS NOT A FOUL ON GOOCH YOU BLIND WANKER!

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Time to put Simek in for Hejduk.

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Malloy should have goten his second yellow for that intentional handball. Should have been sent off.

the Talking Can
06-16-2007, 02:49 PM
this ref suks coconuts

the Talking Can
06-16-2007, 02:50 PM
great play by Heyduke....get up you faker

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 02:54 PM
this ref suks coconuts

No shit. Too bad CONCACAF has such lame ass refs and linesmen. FIFA should do something about the quality of officiating in CONCACAF but they don't.

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Tim Effing Howard Baby!

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Simek and Spector in for Bornstein and Hejduk NOW!!!!!

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 03:22 PM
PENALTY! FINALLY THE REF WIPED HIS EFFING GLASSES OFF!

the Talking Can
06-16-2007, 03:23 PM
here we go!

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 03:23 PM
1-0!

the Talking Can
06-16-2007, 03:25 PM
yeah!

sweet set up....

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 03:26 PM
BO CA NEG RA! 2-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the Talking Can
06-16-2007, 03:28 PM
2-0!

nice, now get out with no injuries...going to get ugly

the Talking Can
06-16-2007, 03:48 PM
wow Dempsey blew that

we should be up 5-0

the Talking Can
06-16-2007, 03:50 PM
keystone cops D

CHIEF4EVER
06-16-2007, 03:58 PM
US v CANADA in the Semis!

|Zach|
06-16-2007, 04:15 PM
What a bunch of manginas on that team.

Holy shit.

Silock
06-17-2007, 01:07 AM
US took their foot off the gas this game. I wasn't impressed with Heydude -- his crosses were piss poor, but he did do a good job making runs. I thought Spector would have been much better there. I thought the back line gave up way too many chances and had too many lapses, especially when three guys mobbed one attacker who still finished his shot. Pathetic.

Bornstein was much better. Bradley was just "meh." Dempsey has GOT to strike that ball. Pull back? WTF was that? He shoots, he scores. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Maybe this performance will scare the US a little. It should, because even though we dominated, Panama was never really out of it. Allowing a 10-man squad of their caliber to score on us was totally unacceptable.

P.S. Twellman isn't quite the quality we need up front.

CHIEF4EVER
06-17-2007, 03:44 PM
I think we need to play the following:

--------------Howard--------------

Simek------DeMerit----Gooch----Spector

Donovan---Mastroeni----Feilhaber---Beasley

---------Ching------------Dempsey------

Silock
06-17-2007, 04:01 PM
I could see that. Maybe Mapp in for Beasley, but after his performance yesterday, I don't know if you can take DMB out.

CHIEF4EVER
06-17-2007, 04:16 PM
I could see that. Maybe Mapp in for Beasley, but after his performance yesterday, I don't know if you can take DMB out.

Things are beginning to sort themselves out. The cream is rising to the top. That is the benefit of playing meaningful competitions IMO. Now we need to use the Copa America to weed out the 'also rans' from the real players.

Silock
06-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Our Euro players won't be going to Copa America, though.

They have to get back for preseason.

Silock
06-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Canada may have been hosed. The player was clearly NOT offside when the first pass was made. However, I'm waiting to make my final judgment until I see the replay on my DVR. Apparently, there was a clear handball by Canada before the pass and there was another touch by Canada before Onyewu touched it.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 01:13 PM
USA vs. Mexico, CONCACAF final. 7 minutes in.

Mexico's looking great. Some great chances. We look slow.

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 01:17 PM
man, great tackle by Bocanegra...and he got carded...

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 01:23 PM
GOLDEN opportunity for the US. Donovan pushes a brilliant cross through the middle to a darting Beasley.

Keeper anticipates it, great save.

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 01:24 PM
oh that was pretty

we should have scored....

Logical
06-24-2007, 01:25 PM
What network is the game on?

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 01:26 PM
What network is the game on?
FSC

Fruit Ninja
06-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Have to watch the game on univision here. but i am mexican so its ok. lol

Fruit Ninja
06-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Uh oh, cornerkick for Mexico

Fruit Ninja
06-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Ya know, the more i watch Soccer the more i am starting to like it. I wish ic ould say the same for Hockey. lol

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Holy smoke that was a hell of a shot.

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Have to watch the game on univision here. but i am mexican so its ok. lol

i'm watching on a Chinese feed....

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Ya know, the more i watch Soccer the more i am starting to like it. I wish ic ould say the same for Hockey. lol
Now I'm a soccer guy, so I'm the last dude who should say "I just don't get that sport" in regards to anything, but hockey?

Meh.

:shrug:

Fruit Ninja
06-24-2007, 01:35 PM
So far this game is pretty damn good.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 01:36 PM
It's been 30 minutes, and Mexico is clearly making the most of their opportunities.

The U.S. is controlling things still, but they are not going for the jugular on their attacks. I'm surprised we've had the ball in their third as much we have with only one real opportunity on the goal.

Credit it to good defense maybe, but I think we're playing toothless.

Corner kick, Mexico.

Fruit Ninja
06-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Now I'm a soccer guy, so I'm the last dude who should say "I just don't get that sport" in regards to anything, but hockey?

Meh.

:shrug:
I am just a sports guy in general. I can watch, football, baseball, basketball, Nascar, Tennis, Golf and Soccer, but for some reason i just cannot do Hockey. lol

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Bocanegra's playing a hell of a game.

Great defense and just juked a Mexican forward into an injury. lol Geez.

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 01:45 PM
lol that guy just blew out his groin trying to jump...

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 01:46 PM
we're very good at making 3 out of 4 passes...but that last one...

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 01:47 PM
arrggghh!

Fruit Ninja
06-24-2007, 01:47 PM
wow, talk about a missed opportunity.

Fruit Ninja
06-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Goal Mexico

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Mexico has just attacked better. Geez. I'll give my thoughts at halftime.

But that was just sorry ass defense that resulted in an easy farside goal.

1-0, Mexico. Blah.

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 01:51 PM
our defense is pretty stupid looking

Fruit Ninja
06-24-2007, 01:52 PM
The Momentum was shifting the last 5-10 min as well.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Well if there ever was a game that encompassed the contrasting styles of America vs. Mexico, this is it.

The U.S. is faster, taller, and stronger. They have smart defenders, ball hawks in the midfield, and darting forwards to setup those quick passes up top that the U.S. loves running. But they are conservative, play ball-control with occasional opportunities, and don't seem to be particularly adept at creating opportunities out of thin air. That and they just haven't been any threat in the air against the Mexicans, who are shorter and weaker. (In their defense, Sanchez is having a hell of a game in goal.)

The Mexicans are losing time of possession, but they're quicker. They fastbreak, they have people fill up lanes that, for some reason, the American defenders aren't covering, and they have the ability to somehow dribble circles around our midfielders. They aren't shy to attack, and they've been the aggressor in this half against a stagnating, slow American attack.

Mexico's had more opportunities than the U.S. has, and considering how often we've had the ball that's not a pretty statistic.

Ugh. Here's to a faster, smarter, more aggressive second half?

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Group C in the Copa America 2007. Grouped with Paraguay, Colombia, Argentina.

Tough bracket but it'll be a better challenge than the creampuff teams we've been yawning through. The way we're playing now, we'll be lucky to win more than one, but if we play up to our potential there's no reason we can't go 2-1 or better.

Spicy McHaggis
06-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Here's an idea, watch the overlap/backdoor run USA.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:12 PM
****ing Sanchez.

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 02:13 PM
fark

we should have scored again

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Mexico is so dangerous every time they attack. Every time, they make something out of it.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Complete ****ing joke of a 4 on 2 thanks to Dempsey.

Edit: Castillo's had our number all day.

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 02:19 PM
that was lame

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Mexico clearly has us on our heels right now.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:24 PM
How is Mexico killing us in the air?

How is this possible? Both ends of the damn field.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:25 PM
TERRIBLE CALL.

BUT A PK FOR US. ****ING OPPORTUNITY.

Edit: Replay shows that it was a good call, but it looked like incidental contact to me.

Holy poop. If we make this, it's a game.

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 02:25 PM
our D seems really slow of foot....

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Donovan cans it.

They need to fire the soccer announcer on FSC. "YEEEEeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh......"

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:27 PM
1-1. Time to start anew.

But we have to do it again, folks. And Mexico's got their 7th corner coming up.

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 02:28 PM
bo-yaa

1-1

i'll take it

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Even in the middle of the field, Mexico is just killing us in the air.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:31 PM
God damn Mexico is making every corner count.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Yet another corner for Mexico.

They've had essentially 10 if you want to count free kicks from the corner, and have turned like 7 of them into opportunities on goal.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:36 PM
U.S. is just zero threat in the air.

HAHAHAHA JUST AS I SAY THAT, GUESS HOW WE SCORE.

RIGHT off a corner. Gorgeous by Feinhaber, who corrals a clear off of a corner and strikes it to the upper V.

2-1 USA. 73 minutes.

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 02:39 PM
GOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:40 PM
CHING OFF THE POST.

DAAAAAAMN. Almost 3-1. Momentum in this game has swung violently towards the US.

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 02:41 PM
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

lmao so close!

great play

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 02:43 PM
we have more energy all the sudden

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:47 PM
we have more energy all the sudden
Absolutely. Mexico looks slow and uncreative now and the U.S. has kicked into second gear.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Was that a yellow card on Beasley?

WTF for?

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:53 PM
WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE SAVE BY HOWARD.

2-1, 88 minutes.

WOW.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:54 PM
AND HOW THE **** DOES BEASLEY MISS ON THAT COUNTERATTACK.

POINT BLANK. NO KEEPER.

SHIT.

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 02:55 PM
ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME!!!

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Last chance for Mexico, gobbled up by Howard.

Great recovery by the boys in blue, but god that was an ugly 60 minutes before it.

Edit: That is a dangerous Mexico team, though. They are fearless, they are aggressive, and they make a serious contention on your goal every single time they attack you. Even that opportunity at the end was scary.

the Talking Can
06-24-2007, 03:00 PM
whew....our D kinda sucks

but we won

Silock
06-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Gooch needs to go. Simek, DeMerit, Boca and Spector need to be our starters on the back line.

2nd half was much better. Clark changed the whole complexion of the game.

WTG, US! Confederations Cup, here we come!

Copa America starts next week.

Silock
06-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Actually, scratch that... Conrad in hte middle, not DeMerit. I keep forgetting about Jimmy "The Groin" Conrad.

Silock
06-24-2007, 03:07 PM
BTW, the Wizards are now playing on Metrosports.

And what did they do to Arrowhead's field??? It looks . . . good.

Ultra Peanut
06-24-2007, 05:49 PM
http://i17.tinypic.com/61nkz0l.gif

mylittlepony
06-25-2007, 02:56 AM
Banging goal,

Quick question Charlie Davies has been selected for the US squad in the copa america what are his chances of actaully seeing the field. Now he plays for my team in Sweden (Hammarby) and I would like to see him play, but if it means staying up in the middle of the night I kinda wanna know what his chances of starting are. And to be quite honest I dont know a whole lot about MLS.

Ultra Peanut
06-25-2007, 03:46 AM
The Copa squad is bizarro-land, so I'd say he's got as good a shot as any. He'll be competing with EJ and Twellman, as well as the uncapped Hercules Gomez, for time, but considering how young and inexperienced the roster is, he should get a start at the very least.

I hope/expect to see Davies, Mapp, Benny Bambino, Nguyen, and Pearce get a lot of time.

By the way, if you have any insight you could share regarding Davies, I'm sure no one would complain.

mylittlepony
06-25-2007, 05:48 AM
Alright, I would love to help out. He has been struggeling since he got to the team. He is clearly very talented but seem to waste alot of quality opportunities. He is learning the somewhat different game then in the states and is coming along quite nicely (we play more English style of football with a high level of fitness with somewhat more lacking ballskills). He's got great speed on and off the ball and has a good touch. He is as tough as you would like a striker to be but personally I think he is somewhat to much of a teamplayer. He gets down between midfield and defense and picks up to many balls and passes to much in crucial areas of the field. Getting a shot of sometimes can create alot more then a low margin pass.

He was in the papers quite alot for a game in the Swedish cup where we lost 1-2 and Davies created 6-10 opportunities by himself and manage to miss every single one, in quite extravagant manner I might add. In the press conferance everyone who was dissapointed by his inability on the field was equally or more impressed by how professional, calm and curtious he was. The papers had headlines about what a standup guy Charlie is almost as big as about the actual game.

Right now he is in a big slump and hasnt scored a goal yet in the league he just recently scored one in the International InterToto cup (for 3-4 place in Swedish and alot of minor leagues across europe (winner advances to the uefa cup)). He's confidence is sapped at the moment but with a change of scenery as with the copa america he could possibly get back some of his grove and come back here and start scoring some goals.

the Talking Can
06-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Hooligans swing pipes, throw rocks in deadly riot
Associated Press

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina -- One man was killed and 14 injured as rival soccer fans swinging metal pipes and throwing rocks clashed Monday after a match between Argentine clubs.

At least 78 arrests were reported in the fighting, which spilled out onto a busy rush-hour freeway after Tigre defeated Nueva Chicago 2-1, which was relegated from Argentina's first division.

"We regret to announce one death," said Dr. Alberto Crescenti, director of paramedics services for Buenos Aires. He said a 41-year-old man died from head wounds.

Police, who appeared initially overwhelmed by the fighting, were backed up by reinforcements firing tear gas and rubber bullets as rock-throwing fans scattered from the stadium in the Mataderos section of the capital.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=441580&cc=5901

Silock
06-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Yeah, that's f'd up.

On a good note, Copa America starts... now!

the Talking Can
06-26-2007, 03:55 PM
brazil/mexico play tomorrow...

Silock
06-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Brasil/Mexico about to kick off.

Don't tell me what happened in the first game... I didn't watch it yet. Just this one :)

the Talking Can
06-27-2007, 06:56 PM
is Brazil at full strength a la Argentina?

the Talking Can
06-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Brasil/Mexico about to kick off.

Don't tell me what happened in the first game... I didn't watch it yet. Just this one :)

i only saw parts, but it was a very entertaining match...

CHIEF4EVER
06-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Diego is one of my favorite players. Plays for Werder Bremen.

Ultra Peanut
06-27-2007, 07:15 PM
i only saw parts, but it was a very entertaining match...With a horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible -- did I mention HORRIBLE -- play-by-play guy.

Ultra Peanut
06-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Nery Castillo is amazing.

CHIEF4EVER
06-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Holy shit. Castillo lobs the goalkeeper. 1-0 Mexico.

the Talking Can
06-27-2007, 07:21 PM
incredible goal by Mexico....

WoodDraw
06-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Feilhaber's goal was just incredible. Probably the best goal I've ever seen from the US.

Copa America could get ugly. I'm hoping we advance out of group play, but I'm not counting on it. It's good experience for the young guys though. Not easy putting a team together for a tournament like this. Too bad, because our A team could use the experience against some quality teams outside of the US.

the Talking Can
06-27-2007, 07:22 PM
With a horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible -- did I mention HORRIBLE -- play-by-play guy.

all my feeds are chinese...

CHIEF4EVER
06-27-2007, 07:25 PM
No effing way! 2-0 Mexico!

the Talking Can
06-27-2007, 07:27 PM
holy shitake

2-0 Mexico

does Brazil have their stars?

Ultra Peanut
06-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Hahahaha, holy shit. Dos a cero Mexico. Doni looks horrible.

Brazil does have Robinho, Gilberto Silva, Diego, and Alex. Pretty much B-team vs. B-team.

WoodDraw
06-27-2007, 07:29 PM
does Brazil have their stars?

No. Still a good team though.

WoodDraw
06-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Bazil Mexico feed (Span.)

http://www.univision.com/contentroot/uol/30deportes/content/jhtml/copa_america/NOMETA_partidosEnVivo.jhtml

CHIEF4EVER
06-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Doni is a liability in goal.

CHIEF4EVER
06-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Hahahaha, holy shit. Dos a cero Mexico. Doni looks horrible.

Brazil does have Robinho, Gilberto Silva, Diego, and Alex. Pretty much B-team vs. B-team.

Silva, Diego and Alex = B team? LMAO

Please explain who is better. Not trying to get your dander up but I don't agree with your take.

Silock
06-27-2007, 07:49 PM
is Brazil at full strength a la Argentina?

No. Ronaldinho and some others asked for time off.

Silock
06-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Doni is a liability in goal.

He should have had both of those. That first one, he should have come out earlier and the second. . . . . he just watched.