PDA

View Full Version : Judd Apatow's "Knocked Up"

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Quality flick. Very funny. Copious F-bombs, a decent amount of nudity (No Katherine Heigl, sorry), good insult exchanges, and there's enough of the rom-com element that the better halves of you ugly bastards will sit through it.

Antonio Alfonseca gives it 3 thumbs up :thumb:

KcMizzou
06-01-2007, 08:24 PM
This movie's had good "buzz" from the start.

I don't think I've heard anything negative about it, other than the fact that it's got the cast of "40 Year Old Virgin" without the star.

I like Apatow.... the classic "every man". He reminds me of... well, me.

I'm excited to see it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-01-2007, 08:26 PM
This movie's had good "buzz" from the start.

I don't think I've heard anything negative about it, other than the fact that it's got the cast of "40 Year Old Virgin" without the star.

I like Apatow.... the classic "every man". He reminds me of... well, me.

I'm excited to see it.

Carrell has a cameo, the black guy (Romany Malco) isn't in it, neither is the Palestinian dude (sad, he was the funniest guy in 40YOV).

The supporting cast is really good though. Rogen's buddies are f*cking hilarious.

Dunit35
06-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Malco isn't in it? I was hoping he was, dude was hilarious in 40 Year Old Virgin.

Cannon1987
06-01-2007, 11:11 PM
I haven't seen a movie in 18 years

Thig Lyfe
06-01-2007, 11:34 PM
I haven't seen a movie in 18 years

The Amish community okayed BB use but not movies?

Cannon1987
06-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Movie theaters are very messy, and the dvd phad will soon end

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-01-2007, 11:40 PM
And when it does, you'll be there with your grammaphone ready to rock the shit, eh?

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-01-2007, 11:43 PM
BEEN STANDIN' AROUND SUCKING ON MY BIG OL' CHILIDOG!

RadeAM is awesome...like Herpes-level awesome.

Thig Lyfe
06-01-2007, 11:45 PM
And when it does, you'll be there with your grammaphone ready to rock the shit, eh?

LASER DISC!

Bootlegged
06-02-2007, 07:06 AM
and a nice closeup of a shaved vag with a baby head pushing out of it..

Chiefnj2
06-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Good movie. Not quite as funny as I was expecting.
There's a great deleted scene with the Asian doctor floating around youtube that should have made the final cut.

BigMeatballDave
06-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Katherine Heigl. Yummy!http://www.greysanatomyinsider.com/images/gallery/yikes_300x407.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Good movie. Not quite as funny as I was expecting.
There's a great deleted scene with the Asian doctor floating around youtube that should have made the final cut.

I actually thought it was the funniest movie I've seen in some time. I liked it more than "Blades of Glory" or any of the Frat Pack movies of the last few years, but I think that I tend to like films that Apatow directs rather than the Will Ferrell/Owen Wilson/Vince Vaughn vehicles.

Personal preference.

sedated
06-02-2007, 02:13 PM
I saw it last night, it was f*cking hilarious!

at least on the level of 40YOV, I'll have to see it again to be sure. But I'm definitely seeing it again.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-02-2007, 02:14 PM
I saw it last night, it was f*cking hilarious!

at least on the level of 40YOV, I'll have to see it again to be sure. But I'm definitely seeing it again.

You look like Babe Ruth's gay brother....Gay-be..Ruth.

NewChief
06-02-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm looking forward to this. Just the dialog I've read in reviews has cracked me up. Salon's critic gave it a good review, and she's pretty harsh on those types of movies usually.

dilligaf
06-02-2007, 03:01 PM
and a nice closeup of a shaved vag with a baby head pushing out of it..
That was not needed :eek: . But the movie was excellent. Very funny.

Archie F. Swin
06-02-2007, 04:24 PM
The movie stood alone without the laughs...that's saying something. This director uses actors that are effortlessly funny. One of the greatest comedies I've ever seen.

irishjayhawk
06-02-2007, 05:00 PM
I still have a slight problem with most people's reactions to the birth scene. I don't understand how it's disgusting, revolting, unnecessary, etc - in the least bit. It's natural and any comedy that doesn't really touch on that is, well, in denial.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-02-2007, 07:12 PM
I still have a slight problem with most people's reactions to the birth scene. I don't understand how it's disgusting, revolting, unnecessary, etc - in the least bit. It's natural and any comedy that doesn't really touch on that is, well, in denial.

I had no truck with it.

Deberg_1990
06-02-2007, 10:55 PM

Agreed. Its probably mostly the younger crowd, who may not have ever witnessed a baby crowning before??

Im sure most of the Dads out there would have no problem with it since we have all seen it before.

ZootedGranny
06-02-2007, 11:39 PM
I LAWLED multiple times. Great flick.

BigMeatballDave
06-02-2007, 11:49 PM
I had no truck with it.That is the 2nd time I have heard that phrase. The 1st being Kevin Spacey in 'The Negotiator'.
:)

Dunit35
06-03-2007, 12:53 AM
The fiance and I just got back from it. Longer then I expected, but hilarious.

Two thumbs up.

sedated
06-03-2007, 02:21 AM
I'll have to see it again to be sure, but it's in my top 3 comedies of all time.

dilligaf
06-03-2007, 09:36 AM
I wasn't disgusted by it, I just really didn't think it was necessary. It took me by surprise. I was not expecting that!

Delano
06-03-2007, 10:03 AM
I wasn't disgusted by it, I just really didn't think it was necessary. It took me by surprise. I was not expecting that!

It was neccessary. If the vag wasn't shown, that scene with the kid running in and out would have been cheesy. It brought the shock factor up for the viewer, so we could understand why he would run out and warn the other stoners.

jiveturkey
06-03-2007, 10:38 AM
One of the better comedies I've seen in a long time.

dilligaf
06-03-2007, 12:03 PM
It was neccessary. If the vag wasn't shown, that scene with the kid running in and out would have been cheesy. It brought the shock factor up for the viewer, so we could understand why he would run out and warn the other stoners.
I could have figured it out on my own. And I don't think they over spent the budget on the special effects on that one either. LMAO

Bootlegged
06-03-2007, 12:29 PM
I could have figured it out on my own. And I don't think they over spent the budget on the special effects on that one either. LMAO

Hey - at least it was shaved...

dilligaf
06-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Hey - at least it was shaved...
Yes it was. ROFL

Chiefnj2
06-03-2007, 01:13 PM
I actually thought it was the funniest movie I've seen in some time. I liked it more than "Blades of Glory" or any of the Frat Pack movies of the last few years, but I think that I tend to like films that Apatow directs rather than the Will Ferrell/Owen Wilson/Vince Vaughn vehicles.

Personal preference.

It was very funny. I just had higher expectations.

2 deleted scenes that should have been included:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6xjV16MBGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=154KVUTpe7A&mode=related&search=

irishjayhawk
06-03-2007, 01:18 PM
It was very funny. I just had higher expectations.

2 deleted scenes that should have been included:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6xjV16MBGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=154KVUTpe7A&mode=related&search=

And that's why I hate the MPAA Rating System.

It gets NC-17 and no one will see it because theatres won't play it. They cut it out and it makes hand over fist with an R rating. Except, it would have made just as much if the scenes had been included.

Baby Lee
06-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Poseur Alert!! (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-bart/knocked-ups-credi_b_50745.html)

Bootlegged
06-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Poseur Alert!! (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-bart/knocked-ups-credi_b_50745.html)

Some life that guy has..

Demonpenz
06-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Fat stoners always get supermodel chicks. Duh.

Baby Lee
06-05-2007, 12:32 PM
It gets better (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pat-morrison/knocked-up-or-e_b_50796.html)

Movies and TV and theatre couldn't do without dopey characters, but from what I've read of Knocked Up, there's a crowded race to the IQ bottom.
Didn't even watch.

NewChief
06-05-2007, 12:38 PM

Heh. Out of curiosity, why do you read the Huffington Post so much? You post more links from there than anyone else on the board, I think. Is there something I'm missing about it that makes it a quality read? Maybe I should switch over from salon to it?

Baby Lee
06-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Heh. Out of curiosity, why do you read the Huffington Post so much? You post more links from there than anyone else on the board, I think. Is there something I'm missing about it that makes it a quality read? Maybe I should switch over from salon to it?
One can usually find something at least interesting.
Political takes from pundits, celebs, and straight up smart-asses.
Usually worth checking out to see if Steven Weber or Harry Shearer has posted. It's also where I first saw David Ehrenstein's exhaustively discussed take on Obama.

L.A. Chieffan
06-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Isn't Paul Rudd a big Chief fan as well?

The Bad Guy
06-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Isn't Paul Rudd a big Chief fan as well?
Yes, he is.

On the NFLN, he had on a Casey Weigmann jersey one time he was on. He had a Will Shields on another time.

the Talking Can
06-10-2007, 06:00 PM
just saw it, very funny.....better than I expected, I think I enjoyed it even more than 40 Year Old Virgin

the humor and language are raw, but the details of the humor are spot on...whoever wrote that has a great ear for how modern white pot head slackers talk and act....

and somehow the baby issue never becomes too melodramatic or sappy...of course, women might not see that as a positive...it is still basically a guys movie

Deberg_1990
06-10-2007, 06:25 PM
..whoever wrote that has a great ear for how modern white pot head slackers talk and act....

Judd Apatow. Hes developed into a great writer and director. Hes been around awhile and paid his dues but is finally hitting it big.

He also had a big hand in creating a couple of TV shows that should have never been cancelled. They were both genuine, insightful and hilarious:

Freaks and Geeks

Undeclared.

Make sure you check them out on DVD sometime. Great shows.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Saw it on Friday, it was awesome! I loved it, I'm buying it when it comes out on DVD. Hilarious movie!

Reaper16
06-10-2007, 06:45 PM
The comments left at that link are hard to read. Apparently, it's a bad thing to want to have a kid instead of getting it aborted (as if abortions are the normal thing to do in modern society and letting the child be born is somehow frowned upon). Wow.

the Talking Can
06-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Judd Apatow. Hes developed into a great writer and director. Hes been around awhile and paid his dues but is finally hitting it big.

He also had a big hand in creating a couple of TV shows that should have never been cancelled. They were both genuine, insightful and hilarious:

Freaks and Geeks

Undeclared.

Make sure you check them out on DVD sometime. Great shows.

ah, cool..I knew he directed, didn't know he wrote....I remember Freaks and Geeks...

Deberg_1990
06-10-2007, 08:56 PM
ah, cool..I knew he directed, didn't know he wrote....I remember Freaks and Geeks...

Yea....Freaks and Geeks was great. Probably one of the best re-creation of the early 1980's ive ever seen.

FYI, thats also where Seth Rogan and a few of the other chums in "Knocked Up" first got their start.

noa
06-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Apatow was also a writer on the Larry Sanders Show, and he credits some of his directing style to what he learned from Garry Shandling.