PDA

View Full Version : Falcons now #1

keg in kc
04-20-2001, 02:50 PM
Falcons land first pick in 2001 draft
April 20, 2001

Flowery Branch, Ga. – The Atlanta Falcons announced today that they have acquired the first pick in the 2001 draft in a trade with the San Diego Chargers. In exchange for the Chargers first pick, the Falcons gave San Diego their first round pick in the 2001 draft (5th pick overall), their third pick in the 2001 draft (67th pick overall), their second round draft choice in the 2002 draft and WR Tim Dwight.

Dwight, heading into his fourth NFL season, was a restricted free agent who was signed by the Falcons today prior to the trade. Terms of the contract were not announced by the team.

Last season, Dwight played in 14 games with one start and finished with 26 receptions for 406 yards and three touchdowns. He returned 33 punts for 309 yards, including a 70-yard touchdown return at Philadelphia (10/1), and he ran back 32 kickoffs for 680 yards.

In the 35 year history of the Falcons, the team has held the first overall pick in the draft three other times. During the club’s first NFL season in 1966 they drafted LB Tommy Nobis from Texas. In 1975, they drafted QB Steve Bartkowski from California, and in 1988 the Falcons drafted LB Aundray Bruce from Auburn.

From http://www.atlantafalcons.com

darkchief
04-20-2001, 03:08 PM
looking forward to not facing vick twice a year!!!!

Gaz
04-20-2001, 03:15 PM
This is a very good trade for the Chargers, IMO.

Lots of picks, Dwight and they do not have to manage the fallout when Vick busts as an NFL QB.

xoxo~
Gaz
Watching the fun begin.

htismaqe
04-20-2001, 03:17 PM
What does this do to our draft board?

Baby Lee
04-20-2001, 03:18 PM
And most probably another one of the top RBs gone before our #12 pick.

Gaz
04-20-2001, 03:24 PM
Yeah. Count on San Diego making Tomlinson the #1 pick. That pretty much crushes any hopes we had of McAllister dropping to #12. One more RB-hungry mouth to feed means we will only get leftovers.

I am terribly saddened to say that this makes the #12 for Green trade a more likely scenario. It is still a BAD idea, but it will probably happen now.

xoxo~
Gaz
Living in interesting times.

keg in kc
04-20-2001, 03:25 PM
Not to toot my own horn,ahh, what the hell - I called the Falcons taking Vick yesterday, just had them doing it at 2 instead of one. This trade makes sense for San Diego because, although they don't want him, Vick is clearly the only #1 calibre player in this draft, and they traded down to a level where they're still able to take a top player, and pay the price they want...

They're (Bolts) going to take Tomlinson (the Browns are going to take David Terrell).

The saddest part is that I think there's a good chance that Deuce will be available at 12, but we won't be there to grab him, because I now think we are going to get Green, and we may even get him before the draft even starts.

I'll withhold judgement on that until I hear the final specifics with that trade...

NaptownChief
04-20-2001, 03:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This trade is a real kick in the unit for us...SD makes out like a bandit cause they most likely get the guy they really wanted in Tomlinson for about half the money they would have spent at #1 while picking up some good picks and a very good player in Dwight...Not only does a divisional team make out well, but it almost certainly takes one of the top RB's off the board in front of us which limits our options....

This will make the Green trade much more likely which I don't want to see happen...Draft weekend is starting off on a sour note...

Rausch
04-20-2001, 03:51 PM
Hey, what do I have to do to get that (regular) title anyway?

We now have NO SHOT at McCalister or Tomlinson...We now have not shot at anyone OTHER than Green....

Which is how I feel right now, green....

Rausch
04-20-2001, 03:52 PM
Wow, I'm now a regular....happy days...

Site looks, and responds MUCH better now..I'm impressed! :-)

DenverChief
04-20-2001, 03:55 PM
does anyone think that the possiblity of getting a #1 either #20 or #29 and of course Green back from the Lambs for our #12 and #75 could be a feasable trade? would you do it?

Rausch
04-20-2001, 03:58 PM
If we could get Green AND a frist rounder to take a rb or cb I'd go for it...I hate the idea of trading for green but it seems inevitable and at lest under this scenerio we get a good value...

Wants to kill DV already...

keg in kc
No, comments today from DV made it clear that we won't be getting as much as a second rounder back from St. Louis, much less a first round pick. It looks like we'll be getting Green and another player, although no names have been officially mentioned yet (Horne).

ct
Guess I'm still not as sold on the rumors that the Green trade is back on and could go down before we're on the clock. I've been wrong many times before, and will be again, but I see some fallout from the Bolts/Falcons trade.

Times ARE changing in the NFL. Previous precidents to move up even as recent as last year just don't seem to hold much water. The top 5-10 picks command such large salaries, the teams holding those picks get a little squeemish to move down.

Case in point, SD moves down with very low compensation compared to deals such as Washington last year, New Orleans AND Washington the year before, plus Arizona and Cleveland both want to get out of #2 and #3, respectively.

If Atlanta can move up 4 spots to get the 1st overall pick, giving up only those 4 spots and the 67th pick for this year, plus Dwight(I'm only talking immediate inclusions), than the move from 12 to 4, for instance should be even less, despite double the draft slot difference. My point is, these picks are LOSING value as we speak!!

Hence, the trade demands of St. Louis become more unreasonable by the minute. The Falcons getting off like this leaves the door open for even KC, with no 2nd round pick, to move up in the top 5 for our coveted HBOTF.

This may even open the door for some teams in the lower 1st to begin some talks. NFL Draft 2001 is under way folks.

I think it's in our best interests to sit tight for now, and see what options might become available.

Rausch
04-20-2001, 04:13 PM
CoryT,

I'm not sure I agree with you, but you bring up some interesting points that would make me think waiting until we're on the clock IS a good idea...

hawaiianboy
04-20-2001, 04:40 PM
The sound of hundreds of thousands mocks going up in smoke!

Glad the AFCWest is not gong to have to deal with him.

The deal works out well for Vick... Being in the NFCWest allows him to play on turf in 3 of the 5 venues making him that much faster....
The Rams better draft defense (the real Rams, not you guys)... though since they traded their starting TE..
it's a lock they take Heap at 20, IMO...

Rausch
04-20-2001, 04:42 PM
NICE to see ya' again Hawiian....

Raider love'n scum......:-)

hawaiianboy
04-20-2001, 04:45 PM
'Bout time you got your pasty *** here!

NaptownChief
04-20-2001, 04:48 PM
Flyin',

What the hell happen to that mock we were in? It kicked all but 7 members out of the group...

keg in kc
04-20-2001, 04:51 PM
Now you know why I said I was going to wait until late tonight to do my mock - I just had a feeling San Diego wasn't going to take Vick. I think there's going to be some more deals done before the draft starts too - I know everyone has been predicting that this would be a quiet draft in terms of trading, but I still have that feeling.

hawaiianboy
04-20-2001, 04:52 PM
Bunch of girls....

You got your Bubby Brister jersey yet?

keg in kc
04-20-2001, 04:55 PM
Now that's a scary thought.

Hell, I didn't even want Bubby to have a KC Bubby jersey, now why would I go out and get one...

NaptownChief
04-20-2001, 04:56 PM
Not yet...Waiting to see if CP trades away our whole draft for Rodney Peete first...Then I will have to decide between a Peete jersey or a Bubby Joe Blister jersey....

hawaiianboy
04-20-2001, 05:00 PM
The mock had to be in by 6pm eastern today....I had Chris Maafala's brothers funeral to go to today so I knew I had to do it early.... plus it had to be 3 RDs which takes hours to do...

BTW, I spoke briefly with Chris today..
he said his agent was contacted by the Chiefs about signing him, but KC never followed up after a few conversations saying they wanted to make a run at Garner first.... he wants out of Pitt in the worst way...

NaptownChief
04-20-2001, 05:03 PM
That Garner pursuit really worked out didn't it....Geez, CP and DV are starting to look more and more like two monkey's trying to fu@k a football when it comes to offseason player personel decisions...