PDA

View Full Version : First Anbar, now Sunni-Baghdad begins to reject al Qaeda

patteeu
06-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Last Thursday, residents of the west Baghdad Sunni neighborhood of Amariyah rose up against al Qaeda and called for US military help to end the gunfire and now...

Sunni Revolt Against al-Qaida Spreads

BAGHDAD (AP) - An al-Qaida-linked suicide bomber struck a safehouse occupied by an insurgent group that has turned against the terror network. Friday's attack northeast of Baghdad killed two other militants, police said, the latest sign that an internal Sunni power struggle is spreading.

The explosion in Baqouba came as Iraqi and U.S. troops fanned out in the Sunni stronghold of Amariyah in the capital, enforcing an indefinite curfew after heavily armed residents clashed with al-Qaida in Iraq fighters, apparently fed up with the group's brutal tactics.

"Al-Qaida fighters and leaders have completely destroyed Amariyah," said Abu Ahmed, a 40-year-old Sunni father of four who said he joined in the clashes. "No one can venture out, and all the businesses are closed. They kill everyone who criticizes them and is against their acts even if they are Sunnis."

Other residents, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they feared retribution, said the clashes began after al-Qaida militants abducted and tortured Sunnis from the area. That prompted a large number of residents, including many members of the rival Islamic Army armed with guns and rocket-propelled grenades, to rise up against the terror network. U.S. forces joined them in the fighting Wednesday and Thursday.

more... (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8PGAKE80&show_article=1&cat=0)

Mr. Kotter
06-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Why, this just can't be.... :spock:

Everyone except "flat earthers" knows the Iraqis hate us more than the Al Queda...I mean we've DRIVEN them into Al Queda's arms.

Keith Olberman says so. :harumph:

NewChief
06-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Why, this just can't be.... :spock:

Everyone except "flat earthers" knows the Iraqis hate us more than the Al Queda...I mean we've DRIVEN them into Al Queda's arms.

Keith Olberman says so. :harumph:

Does it really make you feel clever to create ridiculous strawmen and exaggerate the arguments of those with whom your disagree? I guess it was sort of funny the first 1000 times you did it.

Anyway, good news. I hope this is a sign that the average Iraqi is going to stand up and take more responsibility for their own security.

patteeu
06-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Anyway, good news. I hope this is a sign that the average Iraqi is going to stand up and take more responsibility for their own security.

:thumb: Same here.

Mr. Kotter
06-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Does it really make you feel clever to create ridiculous strawmen and exaggerate the arguments of those with whom your disagree? I guess it was sort of funny the first 1000 times you did it...

Adjust your friggin' sarcasm meter, take two Midol....and call me in the morning. :rolleyes:

BucEyedPea
06-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Well this is good. But remember y'all heard it from me first courtesy of antiwar.com. Accurate reporting, all of the time. :p

Logical
06-02-2007, 05:34 PM

I agree, but that won't do it unless it translates into action on the part of their government. Nothing wrong with isolated good news, but it is not going to solve the problems over there.

penchief
06-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Uhmm....they rejected al-Qaeda before we invaded and occupied their country. Our problems in Iraq have less to do with al-Qaeda than the clusterfluck we've created over there.

|Zach|
06-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Adjust your friggin' sarcasm meter, take two Midol....and call me in the morning. :rolleyes:
You have used that schtick forever to be able to say things without saying them...

Taco John
06-02-2007, 06:07 PM
I think this just about does in the argument that Al Queda is going to use Iraq to launch attacks at the US.

wazu
06-02-2007, 06:17 PM
I think this just about does in the argument that Al Queda is going to use Iraq to launch attacks at the US.

I've never understood why they would even bother trying. Why not just walk across our wide open border and set up shop right here in the U.S.?

Ugly Duck
06-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Uhmm....they rejected al-Qaeda before we invaded and occupied their country. Our problems in Iraq have less to do with al-Qaeda than the clusterfluck we've created over there.Don't worry.... they'll reject AQ once again when we're gone. The only reason AQ is there now is cuz we are.

patteeu
06-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Well this is good. But remember y'all ya heard it from me first courtesy of antiwar.com. Accurate reporting, all of the time. :p

Link?

patteeu
06-02-2007, 07:45 PM

Not really.

go bowe
06-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Does it really make you feel clever to create ridiculous strawmen and exaggerate the arguments of those with whom your disagree? I guess it was sort of funny the first 1000 times you did it.

Anyway, good news. I hope this is a sign that the average Iraqi is going to stand up and take more responsibility for their own security.i don't think that the average iraqi (do such things really exist over there?) can stand up to armed groups of militants...

what's happening in anbar is that some of the tribal sheiks have agreed to come together to fight aq themselves...

further east, like parts of baghdad the sunni tribal leaders don't hold as much sway over the population...

and go easy on poor kotter, his posts are among the most funny of the planet, without him even being aware of it most of the time...

you should see him when he eats mouse shit for a couple of months...

outstanding bb drama...

but's he's been letting me down lately...

BucEyedPea
06-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Link?
Use the search. I put a thread up on this, just not this specific one. It was only about a week or two ago. :banghead:

BucEyedPea
06-02-2007, 10:18 PM
You're slipping...but here ya' go....

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=162958&highlight=Anbar+Province

Mr. Kotter
06-02-2007, 10:20 PM
You have used that schtick forever to be able to say things without saying them...So, you have the ability to discern real sarcasm and parody....from that which is not real, but is rather used to mask more sinister motives?

It would be impressive if I believed it was true. But I don't....because you clearly do not. :rolleyes:

|Zach|
06-02-2007, 10:46 PM
So, you have the ability to discern real sarcasm and parody....from that which is not real, but is rather used to mask more sinister motives?

It would be impressive if I believed it was true. But I don't....because you clearly do not. :rolleyes:
You are going to act offended like this isn't part of your posting style? Play dumb if you must.

When have opinions that are a bit outlandish or possibly controversial you love to slide them in as if you are joking and play stupid when people call you on it. It is your chance to say those things without being confronted on them or having to defend them.

Mr. Kotter
06-02-2007, 11:11 PM
You are going to act offended like this isn't part of your posting style? Play dumb if you must.

When have opinions that are a bit outlandish or possibly controversial you love to slide them in as if you are joking and play stupid when people call you on it. It is your chance to say those things without being confronted on them or having to defend them.It is part of my shtick. For you to pretend or assume that every sarcastic reference or parody I offer....is intended to mask my more sinister position or motives is incredibly presumptuous on your part though, IMO.

In face-to-face human interaction, I assure you....I use both too, yes. However, it's easy with the benefit of body language and non verbals for most people to discern when I'm engaged in which.

On here--as is the case in any online exchange (barring webcams--God, help us), I take offense to the notion that you or anyone else thinks they KNOW the difference.

|Zach|
06-02-2007, 11:13 PM
On here--as is the case in any online exchange (barring webcams--God, help us), I take offense to the notion that you or anyone else thinks they KNOW the difference.
So you realize how much of an ass you look like when you attack people for confronting you when you post in that manner.

Mr. Kotter
06-02-2007, 11:19 PM
So you realize how much of an ass you look like when you attack people for confronting you when you post in that manner.

If they were a noob, I'd agree. You and some of these other clowns that make the charge around here have seen enough of my posting to know I do both. Yet you always assume some sinsiter hatred or motive....instead of the possibility I could be just being sarcastic. Heaven knows, no one else is ever sarcastic round here.

|Zach|
06-02-2007, 11:21 PM
If they were a noob, I'd agree. You and some of these other clowns that make the charge around here have seen enough of my posting to know I do both. Yet you always assume some sinsiter hatred or motive....instead of the possibility I could be just being sarcastic. Heaven knows, no one else is ever sarcastic round here.
Maybe you do it on purpose, maybe you don't. But when you put together how much you do it...the certain posters you respond to...the things you say...and the issues at hand. It just looks like this great game thats a win-win for you with each post. Say something you have wanted to all along in a backhanded manner and if it is challenged you don't have to own it because you hide behind you style of posting. The posts are never THAT crazy...where parody or sarcasm is obvious. They are just controversial.

It seems obvious.

go bowe
06-02-2007, 11:47 PM
eh, one man's obvious is another man's oblivious...

Mr. Kotter
06-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Maybe you do it on purpose, maybe you don't. But when you put together how much you do it...the certain posters you respond to...the things you say...and the issues at hand. It just looks like this great game thats a win-win for you with each post. Say something you have wanted to all along in a backhanded manner and if it is challenged you don't have to own it because you hide behind you style of posting. The posts are never THAT crazy...where parody or sarcasm is obvious. They are just controversial.

It seems obvious.
It seems obvious to you, I think, because that's the way you've chosen to see it.

If these exchanges were in person, having met you...and knowing you're a pretty sharp guy, you'd get it. You seem to prefer to assume the worst from me. And for whatever roll I played in helping you to that point, I'm sorry.

Logical
06-03-2007, 12:00 AM
It seems obvious to you, I think, because that's the way you've chosen to see it.

If these exchanges were in person, having met you...and knowing you're a pretty sharp guy, you'd get it. You seem to prefer to assume the worst from me. And for whatever roll I played in helping you to that point, I'm sorry.

Rob,

Just own up to it, it works for you. Somehow I manage sarcasm that comes across as obvious. I am pretty sure you could if you wanted to do so.

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Rob,

Just own up to it, it works for you. Somehow I manage sarcasm that comes across as obvious. I am pretty sure you could if you wanted to do so.Ya see, Jim....that's the problem. If I do own up or claim it was sarcasm, Zach and some others seem to insist....that's just my way of not "owning" the controversial take or outrage I've offered TIC or as a parody. They choose to assume I use it as a device to "have it both ways" and avoid "owning" the shit I stir up. Such is life...

|Zach|
06-03-2007, 01:21 AM
If these exchanges were in person,
I agree..but...

They are not in person.

So as it stands...I just think its way off base when you come through with a doozy like the quote below. I have no illusions about this conversation. I am not trying to change anything but lets just call all of this what it really is. I don't think you have a good understanding of how your posts come across.

Adjust your friggin' sarcasm meter, take two Midol....and call me in the morning.

Pitt Gorilla
06-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Ya see, Jim....that's the problem. If I do own up or claim it was sarcasm, Zach and some others seem to insist....that's just my way of not "owning" the controversial take or outrage I've offered TIC or as a parody. They choose to assume I use it as a device to "have it both ways" and avoid "owning" the shit I stir up. Such is life...What exactly did you mean with your initial post? I think this would make your intentions a bit clearer.

NewChief
06-03-2007, 06:26 AM
What exactly did you mean with your initial post? I think this would make your intentions a bit clearer.

Yeah. I didn't really attribute any sinister motive to that post. I just thought you were trying to mischaracterize and make fun of those who claim the Iraq debacle isn't going well by exaggerating their arguments to the point of absurdity. I don't actually think you believe (or I hope you don't believe) that anyone is making the argument you say they're making.

patteeu
06-03-2007, 08:03 AM
You're slipping...but here ya' go....

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=162958&highlight=Anbar+Province

Your thread is about the old news regarding the Anbar province. This thread is about the new news regarding a different set of Sunnis in a section of Baghdad. The specific incident referred to in the OP only happened 2 days ago. That's why the title is "First Anbar (the old news), now Sunni-Baghdad (the new news) begins to reject al Qaeda."

But thanks for the link. :thumb:

alanm
06-03-2007, 11:17 AM
First Anbar, now Sunni-Baghdad begins to reject al Qaeda
The money is being shut off. Al Qaeda doesn't pay as well anymore.

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2007, 01:36 PM
What exactly did you mean with your initial post? I think this would make your intentions a bit clearer.That's a very good question. Let's deconstruct the inital post, shall we? Why, this just can't be.... :spock:

Keith Olberman says so. :harumph: So there you have it, if we dissect it....there are at least five separate tip-offs that I may have been/probably was being sarcastic. And the strategic use of the two smileys, makes SEVEN separate tips to what I clearly intended to be a TIC post. Let's look at each, shall we?

can't -- despite the propaganda we hear, there are plenty of Sunnis who hate AQ too. Duh.

"flat earthers" -- TC and others have taking to calling anyone (including me) who dares to disagree with their view of the world "flat earthers." I don't consider myself anything approaching what a "flat earther" would connote. Characterized as one, I'm TIC attacking TCs version of this mythical creature.

"hate us more than Al Queda" -- anyone who knows anything knows a radical minority may feel that way; no rational human being would say they (indicating the Iraqi people as a whole) ALL (or most) "hate us more than Al Queda. I certainly don't believe that.

"DRIVEN" -- even if one were to make the charge Americans have caused some Iraqis to be more sympathetic to AQ or the insurgents...I'd argue no really rational human being would argue we've DRIVEN them, literally, into AQ's arms. At best, they were already in the same neighborhood; and we merely expedited their marriage.

Olberman -- to me, is trying to become/has become the left's version of Rush Limbaugh. Intelligent, articulate, and manipulative demagogue and minister of moonbat propaganda. Citing him as an authority, was clearly TIC coming from me.

Use of :spock: -- connotes disbelief anyone would question, what I've already shown from my view, is a statement that is clearly false.

Use of :harumph: -- As in, "There. If KO says so, then it must be true." Which is something I clearly do NOT believe.

In conclusion, might a casual observer or noob poster not catch some of the sarcasm or TIC delivery of the original post? Sure. Might a noob have missed all of them? Well, maybe some really dumb ones. On the other hands, Planet "icons" who've been around the block, frequent DC, have argued with me many times over similar issues, and KNOW my conservative bent and pragmatic approach to politics? THEY should definitely be able to pick up on the sarcasm.....unless laziness, Blue Moon, tequila, or sheer knee-jerk visceral contempt for the opinions and political bent I bring to the board were to somehow prevent them seeing the forest due to the trees.

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2007, 01:55 PM
I agree..but...

They are not in person.

So as it stands...I just think its way off base when you come through with a doozy like the quote below. I have no illusions about this conversation. I am not trying to change anything but lets just call all of this what it really is. I don't think you have a good understanding of how your posts come across.
:spock:

You consider this to be a "doozy" of a quote. Wow. Your standards are surprisingly low for someone who's been around the Planet as long as you have....heh.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt NC was particularly offended or surprised by a response like that....heh.
Adjust your friggin' sarcasm meter, take two Midol....and call me in the morning.

Has it ever crossed your mind, I often really don't give a damn "how my posts come across." They are what they are; reactions, moments in time, candid responses, and sometimes lame attempts at sarcasm or humor.

Now, I try not to go out of my way to be a complete dick to people who don't deserve it....or who are new, and don't know me--or who don't know any better....but I consider this place a lot like the corner pub: I say whatever I want when I want. If I piss people off or offend people, I'm sorry...especially to the extent it may be a misunderstanding or a failure of them to really understand what I said--but at the end of the day, that's their problem; not mine.

With me, what you see is what you get; I just call it like I see it. FWIW, I have a dry (and sometimes, dark) sense of humor at times, and I'm also very sarcastic (on here, more so than in "real" life--and, of course, at work, it's only with colleagues.) Maybe that's why I grate on you or whatever. I also suspect it's something of a generation-gap thing too: I'm old-school and you seem more a product of the PC stuff we push at school (which is fine; it's just not me...at least in my personal life.) The ideological differences aggravate the differences too. You and I may both consider ourselves "centrists," but....I know I've strongly conservative, which puts me right of center; on some issues it may not be so, but you are pretty clearly left of center. So while I'm no right wing nutjob, and you're no moon bat....we lean those directions.

Taken together....my sense of humor, the generation gap and PC, and our differing ideology....coupled with our mutual tendency to speak-up and "call it like we see it"....it's not real surprising we'd butt heads, I guess.

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2007, 02:12 PM
...I just thought you were trying ...make fun of those who claim the Iraq debacle isn't going well by exaggerating their arguments to the point of absurdity...See? :D

NC, got it....but, you were still annoyed enough about it enough to say: ...Does it really make you feel clever to create ridiculous strawmen and exaggerate the arguments of those with whom your disagree?... I wouldn't say it makes me feel clever at all; it comes pretty natural, heh.

Yeah, it's one of my standard rhetorical tools. I tend to emply it mostly against those who've engaged in similarly "low brow" tactics or rationalization of their position. Growing up the way I did, I still tend to not shy away from taking the low-road....especially when the other side engages in the same. Tit-for-tat...I don't mind being drug into the gutter; because I crawled out of it....I know how to survive there. :)

Do I sometimes trot it out, unprovoked as in the current case? Sure. I consider it somewhat of a special case though, because of all the propagandizing exaggeration, speculation presented as facts, the noxious rewriting of events, and the outright misrepresentations and manipulation of events.....for ideological advantage that I have witnessed from the "other" side--especially over the past year or two. It gets old. But if they wanna play in the gutter; I still like to play.

go bowe
06-03-2007, 02:13 PM
That's a very good question. Let's deconstruct the inital post, shall we? So there you have it, if we dissect it....there are at least five separate tip-offs that I may have been/probably was being sarcastic. And the strategic use of the two smileys, makes SEVEN separate tips to what I clearly intended to be a TIC post. Let's look at each, shall we?

can't -- despite the propaganda we hear, there are plenty of Sunnis who hate AQ too. Duh.

"flat earthers" -- TC and others have taking to calling anyone (including me) who dares to disagree with their view of the world "flat earthers." I don't consider myself anything approaching what a "flat earther" would connote. Characterized as one, I'm TIC attacking TCs version of this mythical creature.

"hate us more than Al Queda" -- anyone who knows anything knows a radical minority may feel that way; no rational human being would say they (indicating the Iraqi people as a whole) ALL (or most) "hate us more than Al Queda. I certainly don't believe that.

"DRIVEN" -- even if one were to make the charge Americans have caused some Iraqis to be more sympathetic to AQ or the insurgents...I'd argue no really rational human being would argue we've DRIVEN them, literally, into AQ's arms. At best, they were already in the same neighborhood; and we merely expedited their marriage.

Olberman -- to me, is trying to become/has become the left's version of Rush Limbaugh. Intelligent, articulate, and manipulative demagogue and minister of moonbat propaganda. Citing him as an authority, was clearly TIC coming from me.

Use of :spock: -- connotes disbelief anyone would question, what I've already shown from my view, is a statement that is clearly false.

Use of :harumph: -- As in, "There. If KO says so, then it must be true." Which is something I clearly do NOT believe.

In conclusion, might a casual observer or noob poster not catch some of the sarcasm or TIC delivery of the original post? Sure. Might a noob have missed all of them? Well, maybe some really dumb ones. On the other hands, Planet "icons" who've been around the block, frequent DC, have argued with me many times over similar issues, and KNOW my conservative bent and pragmatic approach to politics? THEY should definitely be able to pick up on the sarcasm.....unless laziness, Blue Moon, tequila, or sheer knee-jerk visceral contempt for the opinions and political bent I bring to the board were to somehow prevent them seeing the forest due to the trees.deconstruct?

that sounds painful...

and i've been around the block many many times...

as far as laziness goes, it isn't very far...

i don't drink blue moon b/c of financial considerations...

tequila will kill ya...

and i don't do windows, er i mean knee jerks...

now, visceral contempt is too much work...

like taking a shit afer being constipated for a few days...

well, carry on...

go bowe
06-03-2007, 02:18 PM
:spock:

You consider this to be a "doozy" of a quote. Wow. Your standards are surprisingly low for someone who's been around the Planet as long as you have....heh.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt NC was particularly offended or surprised by a response like that....heh.

Has it ever crossed your mind, I often really don't give a damn "how my posts come across." They are what they are; reactions, moments in time, candid responses, and sometimes lame attempts at sarcasm or humor.

Now, I try not to go out of my way to be a complete dick to people who don't deserve it....or who are new, and don't know me--or who don't know any better....but I consider this place a lot like the corner pub: I say whatever I want when I want. If I piss people off or offend people, I'm sorry...especially to the extent it may be a misunderstanding or a failure of them to really understand what I said.

With me, what you see is what you get; I just call it like I see it. FWIW, I have a dry (and sometimes, dark) sense of humor at times, and I'm also very sarcastic (on here, more so than in "real" life--and, of course, at work, it's only with colleagues.) Maybe that's why I grate on you or whatever. I also suspect it's something of a generation-gap thing too: I'm old-school and you seem more a product of the PC stuff we push at school (which is fine; it's just not me...at least in my personal life.) The ideological differences aggravate the differences too. You and I may both consider ourselves "centrists," but....I know I've strongly conservative, which puts me right of center; on some issues it may not be so, but you are pretty clearly left of center. So while I'm no right wing nutjob, and you're no moon bat....we lean those directions.

Taken together....my sense of humor, the generation gap and PC, and our differing ideology....coupled with our mutual tendency to speak-up and "call it like we see it"....it's not real surprising we'd butt heads, I guess.head butts?

that shit hurts...

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2007, 02:20 PM
deconstruct?

that sounds painful...

and i've been around the block many many times...

as far as laziness goes, it isn't very far...

i don't drink blue moon b/c of financial considerations...

tequila will kill ya...

and i don't do windows, er i mean knee jerks...

now, visceral contempt is too much work...

like taking a shit afer being constipated for a few days...

well, carry on...
LMAO

You're always worth a laugh, John....

Serious question, though: Did you pick up on the sarcasm....or am I really that obtuse? :shrug:

go bowe
06-03-2007, 02:27 PM
See? :D

NC, got it....but, you were still annoyed enough about it enough to say:I wouldn't say it makes me feel clever at all; it comes pretty natural, heh.

Yeah, it's one of my standard rhetorical tools. I tend to emply it mostly against those who've engaged in similarly "low brow" tactics or rationalization of their position. Growing up the way I did, I still tend to not shy away from taking the low-road....especially when the other side engages in the same. Tit-for-tat...I don't mind being drug into the gutter; because I crawled out of it....I know how to survive there. :)

Do I sometimes trot it out, unprovoked as in the current case? Sure. I consider it somewhat of a special case though, because of all the propagandizing exaggeration, speculation presented as facts, the noxious rewriting of events, and the outright misrepresentations and manipulation of events.....for ideological advantage that I have witnessed from the "other" side--especially over the past year or two. It gets old. But if they wanna play in the gutter; I still like to play.who's on the "other" side?

and aren't you just as guilty of such things like "propagandizing exaggeration, speculation presented as facts, the noxious rewriting of events, and the outright misrepresentations and manipulation of events.....for ideological advantage"?

i think you should, on occasion, look in the mirror...

you might be surprised... :D :D :D

BucEyedPea
06-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Your thread is about the old news regarding the Anbar province. This thread is about the new news regarding a different set of Sunnis in a section of Baghdad. The specific incident referred to in the OP only happened 2 days ago. That's why the title is "First Anbar (the old news), now Sunni-Baghdad (the new news) begins to reject al Qaeda."

Did you miss the following line?

I put a thread up on this, just not this specific one. It was only about a week or two ago

That's mostly semantics patty. Different set of Sunnis though? I assume each Sunnis is alike in that they are each a unique individual. :p

More like Iraqi Sunnis began this in Anbar, and this is spreading to other areas.

But thanks for the link. :thumb:

You're welcome.
re

go bowe
06-03-2007, 02:39 PM
LMAO

You're always worth a laugh, John....

Serious question, though: Did you pick up on the sarcasm....or am I really that obtuse? :shrug:sometimes it's hard to p/u...

because when you use sarcasm it usually is too close to your stated positions/behavior on the board to distinguish whether most/many/some of your posts are serious or sarcastic...

as far as obtuse goes, it's better than being obese...

well, maby not...

NewChief
06-03-2007, 02:49 PM
The thing I don't get:

If you're being sarcastic, then your point would be to make fun of what you're saying, right? So you're actually making fun of someone that would say something really stupid like what you did in your post?

patteeu
06-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Did you miss the following line?

No, but when I read your previous post:

Well this is good. But remember y'all ya heard it from me first courtesy of antiwar.com. Accurate reporting, all of the time.

I assumed the "this" had something to do with the news in this thread as opposed to the general concept of Sunnis turning on al Qaeda. My mistake.

That's mostly semantics patty. Different set of Sunnis though? I assume each Sunnis is alike in that they are each a unique individual. :p

More like Iraqi Sunnis began this in Anbar, and this is spreading to other areas.

This actually is indeed a different set of Sunnis and the whole point of this thread is that there is some reason to believe that the Sunni response that started in Anbar may be spreading. The news (http://powerlineblog.com/archives/017820.php) over the weekend is that those Anbar Sunnis are sending "plainclothes 'secret police'" to Baghdad to hunt and kill al Qaeda leaders there.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2007, 09:42 PM
No, but when I read your previous post:

I assumed the "this" had something to do with the news in this thread as opposed to the general concept of Sunnis turning on al Qaeda. My mistake.

This actually is indeed a different set of Sunnis and the whole point of this thread is that there is some reason to believe that the Sunni response that started in Anbar may be spreading. The news (http://powerlineblog.com/archives/017820.php) over the weekend is that those Anbar Sunnis are sending "plainclothes 'secret police'" to Baghdad to hunt and kill al Qaeda leaders there.
Well first, fyi...my initial post was just a joke. Teasin' you the way you do me...like "honorary secret clearances from antiwar.com." :D

Other than that, I think we're saying the same thing.

Let's play Bill Clinton for a moment: Different set....no it's just different individual Sunnis, but Sunnis nonetheless. I think there is only one main branch of Sunnis in Iraq. (?) Not say, like the Wahhabi Sunni's as in a different sect ( not that you said sect) from Baghdad... but get my drift?

|Zach|
06-03-2007, 09:47 PM
because when you use sarcasm it usually is too close to your stated positions/behavior on the board to distinguish whether most/many/some of your posts are serious or sarcastic...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/images/smilies/acclaim.gif

patteeu
06-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Well first, fyi...my initial post was just a joke. Teasin' you the way you do me...like "honorary secret clearances from antiwar.com." :D

Other than that, I think we're saying the same thing.

Let's play Bill Clinton for a moment: Different set....no it's just different individual Sunnis, but Sunnis nonetheless. I think there is only one main branch of Sunnis in Iraq. (?) Not say, like the Wahhabi Sunni's as in a different sect ( not that you said sect) from Baghdad... but get my drift?

OK, I get you.

I just think it's worth noting that they are different groups of people even if they share the same religious sect, but I get your drift. :)

StcChief
06-04-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm glad the Iraqi's are getting tired of AlQueda trying to run their lives.... why did it take so long is the real question

Logical
06-04-2007, 11:29 AM
sometimes it's hard to p/u...

as far as obtuse goes, it's better than being obese...

well, maby not...

I tried and failed to get this point across, you did an excellent job of explaining it.

Logical
06-04-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm glad the Iraqi's are getting tired of AlQueda trying to run their lives.... why did it take so long is the real question

Also lets not go to far, a limited number is all that have gone up against AQ it is not the entire country rising up against AQ.

StcChief
06-04-2007, 11:37 AM
It's a start....not saying all of Iraq are onboard
but with the help of civilians (ratting them out) and their military police and our Intel and attack teams... Keep them on the run outta there ...

Sorry for being an optimist

patteeu
06-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Also lets not go to far, a limited number is all that have gone up against AQ it is not the entire country rising up against AQ.

Yes, let's be sure that any good news isn't take *too* seriously. Meanwhile, every time a common criminal in Baghdad mugs someone or every time a cleric talks about islamic values we can jump to the conclusion that an anti-American theocracy aligned with Iran is just around the corner. :thumb:

CHIEF4EVER
06-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Yes, let's be sure that any good news isn't taken *too* seriously.

Yeah, no shit. I mean it would be an effing SIN if something went right in that shithole of a country, eh?

Meanwhile, everytime a common criminal in Baghdad mugs someone or everytime a cleric talks about islamic values we can jump to the conclusion that an anti-American theocracy aligned with Iran is just around the corner. :thumb:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we can't say anything positive about our country or its contribution to the people of Iraq without appearing to be warmongering dickheads. Good post Pat.