PDA

View Full Version : Red Meat Alert: Bush Nominates a "gay cure" MD to be Surgeon General

jAZ
06-02-2007, 04:18 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/454/story/85442.html

Holsinger's church role scrutinized
HAND IN METHODIST RULINGS RAISES CONCERN IN GAY COMMUNITY
By Art Jester
AJESTER@HERALD-LEADER.COM

Dr. James W. Holsinger was nominated by President Bush to become the next U.S. surgeon general.

Calhoun, a United Methodist pastor, noted that Holsinger and his wife, Barbara, ... founded Hope Springs Community Church in a warehouse at 1109 Versailles Road.

Hope Springs also ministers to people who no longer wish to be gay or lesbian, Calhoun said.

"We see that as an issue not of orientation but of lifestyle," he said. "We have people who seek to walk out of that lifestyle."

patteeu
06-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Who cares? :shrug:

wazu
06-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Yeah, although his religious belief sounds pretty silly, I don't see anything to make me believe it would negatively impact his ability to be the SG.

Logical
06-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I have a question born of my ignorance. Is the Surgeon Genaral position anything more than a figure head position? What does the Surgeon General directly decide?

Taco John
06-02-2007, 10:15 PM
I have a question born of my ignorance. Is the Surgeon Genaral position anything more than a figure head position? What does the Surgeon General directly decide?

More or less, their role is as a spokesperson authority on public health matters, and works to educate the nation on public health best practices.

ClevelandBronco
06-02-2007, 10:16 PM
What does the Surgeon General directly decide?

Whether children really have to be taught how to masturbate.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/18/cnn25.tan.elders/index.html

Logical
06-02-2007, 10:21 PM
More or less, their role is as a spokesperson authority on public health matters, and works to educate the nation on public health best practices.

Thanks

Logical
06-02-2007, 10:22 PM

Also thanks, lord knows they won't figure it out on their own.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Yeah, although his religious belief sounds pretty silly, I don't see anything to make me believe it would negatively impact his ability to be the SG.

Remember AIDS in the 1980's?? One of the most important inroads made against the epidemic was C. Everett Koop bucking the religious conservatives in Reagan's admin and sending out fliers and brochures en masse to help educate the public about the disease.

What do you think would have happened if a Jerry Falwell type were in that position instead of a man like Koop, who although a conservative, valued the Hippocratic Oath over political dogma?

ClevelandBronco
06-02-2007, 11:17 PM
"My position on AIDS was dictated by scientific integrity and Christian compassion...My whole career has been dedicated to prolonging lives, especially the lives of people who were weak and powerless, the disenfranchised who needed an advocate: newborns who needed surgery, handicapped children, unborn children, people with AIDS."

Surgeon General C. Everett Koop

BucEyedPea
06-02-2007, 11:21 PM
"My position on AIDS was dictated by scientific integrity and Christian compassion...My whole career has been dedicated to prolonging lives, especially the lives of people who were weak and powerless, the disenfranchised who needed an advocate: newborns who needed surgery, handicapped children, unborn children, people with AIDS."

Surgeon General C. Everett Koop
No, that can't be true. People of faith have no scientific integrity. [/sarcasm]
:p

jAZ
06-02-2007, 11:57 PM
It's just a red meat 2008 election move. His impact on society won't be much, I don't think. But the nomination process will give the 2008 challengers something to go after friends of teh ghey with.

That's all.

Calcountry
06-03-2007, 10:46 AM
I have a question born of my ignorance. Is the Surgeon Genaral position anything more than a figure head position? What does the Surgeon General directly decide?Jocelyn Elders was the best one.

Calcountry
06-03-2007, 10:47 AM

"We all will probably die with sumthun".

KCFalcon59
06-03-2007, 11:17 AM
"We all will probably die with sumthun".

don't forget the safer bullets.