PDA

View Full Version : Brigade secures edge in playoff picture with 62-56 win

|Zach|
06-02-2007, 10:33 PM
New to the playoff hunt, the Brigade entered its game against the Los Angeles Avengers owning a tie-breaker over its opponent in the American Conference, yet Kansas City still needed a victory to make the playoff picture clearer.

The Brigade had a serious case of déjà vu from the inaugural Los Angeles game – one of Kansas City's three 2006 wins – which ended 62-48. This time Kansas City put up 35 points in the first half en route to 62-56 win. Up next for the Brigade is its only two-game road trip of the season when it travels to Grand Rapids for a key division game June 2 at 6 p.m.

The Brigade wasted little time kicking off Military Appreciation Day when the game’s first play – a Raymond Philyaw pass to Charles Frederick – put the team on the Los Angeles 12-yard line. Several plays later, Philyaw found Boo Williams in the end zone to make it 7-0 minutes into the contest.

Frederick continued to prove his value as one of the game’s most versatile players when he ran back a kickoff past midfield and followed it up with a key reception to set up first-and-goal. Much like the first possession, Williams sealed the deal with his second touchdown grab to take a 14-7 advantage.

It was only fitting after one quarter of play that both 6-5 teams fighting for the playoffs would be knotted up at 14-14.

The Avengers drive to open the second quarter would be the game’s first that didn’t feature a score. The Brigade defense sent a message, sending an Avenger receiver literally crashing over the wall onto the Brigade bench. On the same drive, Jerry Turner sacked Los Angeles quarterback Sonny Cumbie. Kansas City got the ball back with a shot to go ahead.

Apparently the Kansas City offense didn’t want to be on the field much as it once again took little time getting down to business. Philyaw orchestrated a three-play scoring drive that culminated in a six-yard touchdown bullet to Frederick to put the Brigade up 21-14.

Defensively, the Brigade made a point to get after Cumbie and the Avengers, forcing a fumble that unfortunately Los Angeles recovered. On third down, Cumbie fired a long pass that surely would have been a touchdown if not for Deveron Harper smashing the receiver into the end zone wall and jarring the ball loose. When the Avengers missed a field goal attempt on fourth-and-16, the Brigade defense had its second straight stop.

Two straight Los Angeles penalties put the Brigade in striking distance early in its ensuing drive. Once again Philyaw and Frederick proved to be automatic, as the playmakers hooked up for Frederick’s second score of the day to extend Kansas City’s lead to 28-14. His catch set the single-season receiving touchdown record for the Brigade.

Few Arena Football games are out of hand by halftime, but the Brigade did all it could to make it so. After several attempts to reach pay dirt, Dawan Moss finally barreled into the end zone to extend Kansas City’s lead to 34-14. The Brigade scored on all five first-half possessions and the defense shutout Los Angeles in the second quarter.

The Avengers came out of the gates in the second half and gained some momentum on when they scored first and blocked a Gary Krall field goal attempt that was nearly returned for a touchdown. The kick was the Brigade’s first field goal attempt since May 5 at Philadelphia.

Soon after, the Avengers closed the gap even more and made it a one possession game with the Brigade leading 34-28. Frederick, however, extended the lead as well as his place in the Brigade record book by reeling in a pass to make it 41-28 late in the third quarter.

Following a Los Angeles touchdown, Frederick looked like the go-to guy, trying to reach the end zone both through the air and on the ground in the Brigade’s opening fourth quarter possession. But moments later Philyaw kept the ball himself and powered into the end zone for a 48-35 Kansas City lead.

Travis Coleman ignited the Kemper Arena crowd of 13,212 when he intercepted a ball that popped out of the hands of an Avenger receiver and ran it back for a score. Krall’s extra point – he would go 8-for-9 – put the Brigade ahead by three scores yet again, 55-35.

Coleman continued to torment the Avengers on their next drive when he tipped away a pass to the end zone on fourth-and-goal to regain possession for the Brigade. Los Angeles would make it interesting however, with a fumble recovery and a quick touchdown pass to narrow Kansas City’s lead to 55-42 with little more than two minutes remaining.

Within the one-minute warning, the Brigade and Avengers traded blows but Los Angeles’ offense would be too little, too late to mount a comeback. Kansas City now owns the head-to-head advantage and has an upper hand in the quest to host its first home playoff game.

Offensive Player of the Game: Charles Frederick
Defensive Player of the Game: Travis Coleman
Ironman of the Game: Boo Williams

PASSING: Philyaw 18-27, 224 yds, 5 TD
RUSHING: Moss 3 rush, 15 yds, 2 TD
RECEIVING: Frederick 7 rec., 88 yds, 3 TD
Williams 4 rec., 41 yds, 2 TD
Hines 3 rec., 46 yds
DEFENSE: Coleman, 6 tkls (4 solo), 1 INT
Smalls, 6 tkls (4 solo)
McEntyre, 4.5 tkls (4 solo)
Harper, 4 tkls (3 solo)

Phobia
06-02-2007, 10:35 PM
I wonder if they'll win a playoff game.

KurtCobain
06-03-2007, 01:06 AM
all da way

Anyong Bluth
06-03-2007, 01:17 AM
crazy thing is I perused the entire article, and am happy for KC, but the point that stood out to me was the fact that Boo Williams was mentioned, only because he was hyped so much as being a big time NLF'r.

chiefsfan987
06-03-2007, 02:45 AM
OK, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that article a little out of date? According to yahoo sports they just beat Grand Rapids on Saturday 66-53 not Los Angeles.

Silock
06-03-2007, 02:49 AM
Heh, yeah, that was from last weekend.

Brigade most likely have a home playoff berth now :)

chiefsfan987
06-03-2007, 03:00 AM
Heh, yeah, that was from last weekend.

Brigade most likely have a home playoff berth now :)

This one's more current.

Brigade gets a boost
With victory at Grand Rapids, Kansas City needs a Utah loss Monday to make playoffs.
The Kansas City Star
Only one year after finishing with the worst record in the Arena Football League, the Brigade took one giant step toward making the playoffs for the first time in its two-year history on Saturday.

The Brigade overcame a 16-point halftime deficit and beat the Grand Rapids Rampage 66-53 at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids, Mich.

The win could send the Brigade, 8-5, to the playoffs. The Brigade needs a Utah loss on Monday (a conference foe the Brigade has beaten) to clinch its first-ever playoff berth.

“If we hadn’t won today, it would’ve been a missed opportunity,” Brigade coach Kevin Porter said. “We couldn’t think about next week until we took care of business here.”

The Rampage jumped to a 17-7 first-quarter lead and 37-21 lead at halftime. However, the Brigade rebounded to outscore the Rampage 45-16 in the second half, including a 33-point fourth quarter.

“We had to overcome, with everything that was on the line,” said Brigade QB Ray Philyaw, who completed 29 of 39 passes for 322 yards and eight TDs.

Mr. Laz
06-03-2007, 06:32 AM
super bowl baby .....

Saulbadguy
06-03-2007, 06:47 AM
I wonder if they'll win a playoff game.
Captain Brigade thinks so.

http://a21.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/41/l_247c4c9bf9b78a6e4a614078bdc44304.jpg

Silock
06-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Captain Brigade rocks!

Guru
06-19-2007, 02:32 AM
Showdown for 1st place in the division and a potential first round bye next week.

kcfan82
06-19-2007, 06:06 AM
I went to the game Sat night, and had a blast....

Amazed at the talent on some of the team too, alot of those guys are just a notch away from NFL Europe or the NFL and you see guys like Jeff Smoker who had an excellent senior camnpaign at Mich State.

Anyway, if anyone finds out the playoff dates let me know. I want to order tickets if it doesn't coincide with work.

Coach
06-19-2007, 05:44 PM
How sad it would be if the Brigade actually won a playoff game, unlike the Chiefs since 1993.

Guru
06-19-2007, 07:07 PM
How sad it would be if the Brigade actually won a playoff game, unlike the Chiefs since 1993.
How sad would it be if they won the whole thing in only their second year?

kcfan82
06-19-2007, 09:25 PM
How sad would it be if they won the whole thing in only their second year?

Maybe Carl could ask the Brigade Gm for some pointers....

Honestly what is it with us and minor sports. The Wizards also played in two title games. The Knights (A Minor league basketball team we had) won it all I believe.

kcfan82
06-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Seriously, I don't mean to bump this thread again. But how many of you Chiefs fans have been to a Brigade game?

I went to one Sat. and I was sold.... It helps tie over until the Summer.

Guru
06-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Seriously, I don't mean to bump this thread again. But how many of you Chiefs fans have been to a Brigade game?

I went to one Sat. and I was sold.... It helps tie over until the Summer.
I haven't been yet, but we have our own arena team here in Topeka to tide me over.

kcfan82
06-19-2007, 10:09 PM
I haven't been yet, but we have our own arena team here in Topeka to tide me over.

I actually had a friend I played college football with play in Topeka. I don't know how it compares to AFL 1, I just know that I had a great time Sat night and I'll secure my playoff tickets once some dates are posted.

I just bought season tickets last night to next year in the Sprint Center. It really was entertaining, and the hits were jsut as vicous and th game speed was up to par.

Guru
06-19-2007, 10:11 PM
I actually had a friend I played college football with play in Topeka. I don't know how it compares to AFL 1, I just know that I had a great time Sat night and I'll secure my playoff tickets once some dates are posted.

I just bought season tickets last night to next year in the Sprint Center. It really was entertaining, and the hits were jsut as vicous and th game speed was up to par.

It isn't pro and the team had to wait 3 years before it had any REAL competition. Now it is fairly competitive with a some close games here and there.

I am looking forward to watching the Brigade next year at Sprint.

kcfan82
06-19-2007, 10:16 PM
It isn't pro and the team had to wait 3 years before it had any REAL competition. Now it is fairly competitive with a some close games here and there.

I am looking forward to watching the Brigade next year at Sprint.

It's worth it man, plus you can get Brigade tickets for between $9 and $!00 a ticket.

I spent $15 and it was in the lower upperdeck, however being in the upperdeck of a basketball arena is ALOT closer than being in the upper deack of Arrowhead.

I just suggest that if any Chiefs fans haven't been, they at least go once.

It sold me.

Discuss Thrower
06-20-2007, 12:33 AM
I went Saturday to the game... Had a good time, awkward handshake with the mascot (a first).

Will be going back for the playoff game. My father has season tickets, but only goes to one game and doesn't bother with the playoffs. I guess he hates the 3hr drive to KC.

BWillie
06-20-2007, 01:11 AM
I went Saturday to the game... Had a good time, awkward handshake with the mascot (a first).

Will be going back for the playoff game. My father has season tickets, but only goes to one game and doesn't bother with the playoffs. I guess he hates the 3hr drive to KC.

Sooooo...when and where is the playoff game, and how drunk am I going to get? I'm in, I don't know any players on the Brigade, but what the hell, I'll hop on the bandwagon. Sounds fun.

big nasty kcnut
06-20-2007, 01:19 AM
Is Captain Brigade the schwab?

Discuss Thrower
06-20-2007, 01:23 AM
Sooooo...when and where is the playoff game, and how drunk am I going to get? I'm in, I don't know any players on the Brigade, but what the hell, I'll hop on the bandwagon. Sounds fun.

Arrion Dixon (Chiefs NFLEurope and Practice Squad) netted a sack against Nashville on Saturday. There's a KSU DB who's pretty good too. Philyaw is the Quarterback, and be sure to yell "Goooooooch" whenever #12 catches a pass.

Playoffs are the weekend of June 30 and the following weekend in July.