PDA

View Full Version : Anyone living in the Columbia, MO area know of a good realtor?

Mosbonian
06-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Thus far the one that I have has been a bitter disappointment.....less excuses and more work might make me happy. I understand the housing market is tough right now, but it seems that we have been a "bridesmaid" 10 times since we listed the house.

mmaddog

Phobia
06-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Send me some pictures of your house sequentially, as a buyer would see getting out of the car and touring it.

I'll tell you what you need to do to sell your house.

Dinny Blues
06-02-2007, 11:19 PM
CHRIS OTTINGER
RE/MAX BOONE REALTY

33 E. BROADWAY
COLUMBIA, MO 65203
573-442-6121

Tell him Warren Myers Jr. sent you.

Dinny

Mosbonian
06-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Send me some pictures of your house sequentially, as a buyer would see getting out of the car and touring it.

Phil:

I'll send you a link to a website that will show you my house...look for an IM

mmaddog

Mosbonian
06-02-2007, 11:21 PM
CHRIS OTTINGER
RE/MAX BOONE REALTY

33 E. BROADWAY
COLUMBIA, MO 65203
573-442-6121

Tell him Warren Myers Jr. sent you.

Dinny

Dinny:

Thanks....although I will tell you that I have a bit of hesitancy to use ReMax Boone because the present guy I am using is from there.

mmaddog

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-02-2007, 11:22 PM

He shouldn't need you to tell him, the person who is going to get several thousand dollars of commission money should be doing that.

Phobia
06-02-2007, 11:25 PM
He shouldn't need you to tell him, the person who is going to get several thousand dollars of commission money should be doing that.
They'll give anybody a realtor's license - even me if I could come up with the money.

Mosbonian
06-02-2007, 11:26 PM

Exactly.....but what I am really teed off about is that every time we have been a "bridesmaid" it is because of something that he should have have a "rebuttal" for. What is worse is that he, himself, has never shown it once....all the showings have been other realtors.

mmaddog

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Exactly.....but what I am really teed off about is that every time we have been a "bridesmaid" it is because of something that he should have have a "rebuttal" for. What is worse is that he, himself, has never shown it once....all the showings have been other realtors.

mmaddog
I'm not sure that there's anything real unusual about him not showing it himself, usually buyers already have their own agents before they even get started. I don't think that many people see a house for sale and go straight to the seller's agent for a showing.

With that said, there are agents that when hired by a seller will do nothing more than drop it into the MLS and just wait for a sale. My brother hired one of these duds a couple years back and ended up getting screwed because of it. One good thing about the slow market is it may drive some of these stiffs out of business.

Mosbonian
06-02-2007, 11:48 PM
With that said, there are agents that when hired by a seller will do nothing more than drop it into the MLS and just wait for a sale..

This is what I am afraid I have....

I can tell you that I had an agent when I lived in Liberty MO that was the best damn agent I have ever seen. When we listed a house with him, he worked it! He cold-called old students, other agents with clients that were looking in our price range....showed it many times himself. The longest it ever took him to sell a house for us was 60 days. And he felt sorry it took that long.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
06-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Phil:

Thanks for the tips!

mmaddog

Phobia
06-03-2007, 12:28 AM
I hope they help. Wish I could do a better tour.

Have an impartial neighbor or friend do a walkthrough from curb to back yard. Pick the outspoken neighbor. Ask their honest opinion about what stands out positive and negative. You can't trust everybody's opinion (including mine) but you need to appeal to the widest demographic. You're competing with new home builders who are putting in the most updated fixtures and appliances. It's hard to beat a new home with 20 year old features. Like I said, that upgraded trim throughout may sell your house. It's really good.

Mosbonian
06-03-2007, 08:22 AM
I hope they help. Wish I could do a better tour.

Have an impartial neighbor or friend do a walkthrough from curb to back yard. Pick the outspoken neighbor. Ask their honest opinion about what stands out positive and negative. You can't trust everybody's opinion (including mine) but you need to appeal to the widest demographic. You're competing with new home builders who are putting in the most updated fixtures and appliances. It's hard to beat a new home with 20 year old features. Like I said, that upgraded trim throughout may sell your house. It's really good.

Phil:

The house itself is only 8 years old.....but yes the fixtures probably look a little dated. And yes, the new homes are our worst enemy right now. The builders have so "overbuilt" Columbia that there are a large number of both new and existing homes that are waiting to be sold. Of the times that we finished "second place" we were up against new homes where the builder was offering so much (gift cards, $5000 off the price, etc.) that we couldn't compete. What is worse is that they keep on building new homes here in Columbia like there are new jobs coming in, which there are not. (Or at least not in the amount that would equal the amount of homes being built)

The one constant that always puts us in the running is the wood trim throughout the house. It's what made us buy the house.

mmaddog

Phobia
06-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Wow. I hope you're not insulted with my commentary then. I'd have sworn that house was built in the late 80's/early 90's. The builder should be smacked for a couple of those choices.

Mosbonian
06-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Wow. I hope you're not insulted with my commentary then. I'd have sworn that house was built in the late 80's/early 90's. The builder should be smacked for a couple of those choices.

Not insulted at all.....I appreciate the analysis.

Now...say something mean about my Wife, my kids, or my truck, and we may have pistols at 20 paces.

mmaddog

Huffman83
06-03-2007, 01:29 PM
I can't exactly recommend any real estate agent, but I am a 911 dispatcher in Columbia. I also just bought a house myself (close on the 15th, first home buyer.)

My mother is actually a real estate agent in Jefferson City. And she represented me.

But I can give you the run down on if the neighborhood you're looking at is a good one.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Not insulted at all.....I appreciate the analysis.

Now...say something mean about my Wife, my kids, or my truck, and we may have pistols at 20 paces.

mmaddog
Are you aware that Phil hates children? And is your truck a Dodge by any chance?

boogblaster
06-03-2007, 02:16 PM
mmaddog sorry to hear of your problem...money is tight as hell and going to get worse ...

Phobia
06-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Are you aware that Phil hates children? And is your truck a Dodge by any chance?

But I do like his wife....

and I know Mark is smart enough to buy OTD.

Iowanian
06-03-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm sorry you're having trouble.

I was set to list our home last friday, but talked to a guy I knew was looking, priced it, he looked at it and bought it friday, before I listed it.

I did find out that the realtor whom I had bought and sold and purchased a house from in the past 2 years had been talking some shit about me being a "difficult client" although they smiled and "please"d me to list this time.

I'm straight forward in what I expect, I don't bullshit, and I always want to come out a little better than the other guy in a negotiation.

Its pretty basic business to expect your realtor to actually advertise, promote, and otherwise attempt to show your home.

If you have to rattle their door once every week or two to get it done...do it.

Business is business.

I'm working on buying a home in another area now....and I think I'm going to get a great deal on a "going out of marraige sale"......who says Divorse isn't a good thing?

The other thing I did last time was put a "$1500 bounty-bonus" to any realtor who had a signed and accepted offer in 30 days. It motivates realtors in other agencies to show your home....

good luck.

oh, and last time, the offer didn't come for 31 days...no bonus for you.

Coach
06-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I'm looking for a home outside of the Metro area in the KS side, and it's stressful.

Found a nice spot by Piper, KS, with the builder name of T.E. Woods.

Mosbonian
06-03-2007, 05:26 PM

Don't believe it....Phil tries to make you believe he doesn't like kids.

And I drive nothing but a Toyota.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
06-03-2007, 05:27 PM
I can't exactly recommend any real estate agent, but I am a 911 dispatcher in Columbia. I also just bought a house myself (close on the 15th, first home buyer.)

My mother is actually a real estate agent in Jefferson City. And she represented me.

But I can give you the run down on if the neighborhood you're looking at is a good one.

I am actually selling my house....too bad you didn't look at mine. What area did you buy in?

mmaddog

Simplex3
06-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Check the graveyards because the only good ones are dead ones.

Most useless profession in the country today.

Mosbonian
06-03-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm sorry you're having trouble.

I was set to list our home last friday, but talked to a guy I knew was looking, priced it, he looked at it and bought it friday, before I listed it.

I did find out that the realtor whom I had bought and sold and purchased a house from in the past 2 years had been talking some shit about me being a "difficult client" although they smiled and "please"d me to list this time.

I'm straight forward in what I expect, I don't bullshit, and I always want to come out a little better than the other guy in a negotiation.

Its pretty basic business to expect your realtor to actually advertise, promote, and otherwise attempt to show your home.

If you have to rattle their door once every week or two to get it done...do it.

Business is business.

I'm working on buying a home in another area now....and I think I'm going to get a great deal on a "going out of marraige sale"......who says Divorse isn't a good thing?

The other thing I did last time was put a "$1500 bounty-bonus" to any realtor who had a signed and accepted offer in 30 days. It motivates realtors in other agencies to show your home....

good luck.

oh, and last time, the offer didn't come for 31 days...no bonus for you.

I pretty much have the same philosophy normally....like you had planned to do (but didn't have to) I used the guy who sold me this house a little over 2 years ago. Oh, and BTW, he thinks the "bounty" idea send the wrong impression. I asked him about that about a month after we listed it.

Now....I am looking for someone else to do the job he couldn't.

mmaddog

Simplex3
06-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Oh, and BTW, he thinks the "bounty" idea send the wrong impression.
:spock:

I guess saying you want your house sold gives the wrong impression.

Mosbonian
06-03-2007, 08:58 PM
:spock:

I guess saying you want your house sold gives the wrong impression.

Scratching your head on that one too, huh?

That's just one of several things I am perplexed about in dealing with him.

mmaddog

Huffman83
06-04-2007, 11:02 AM
I am actually selling my house....too bad you didn't look at mine. What area did you buy in?

mmaddog

ahh sorry! Misunderstood you then!

I got one over on Charles St. It's basically right behind Westlakes on Old HWY 63 and Business loop. That and the Venus Adult Mega store.

So not only can I get some Polyurathane....I get get some anal beads for me and my bridge to be!

StcChief
06-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Realators are middlemen working on commission. Bounty is $$$. They should understand that.

Sorry if they can't think outside the box....

Iowanian
06-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Oh, and BTW, he thinks the "bounty" idea send the wrong impression.
mmaddog

By "Wrong impression" he means he doesn't want another agent taking half of his commission by selling the house. I suggest it impresses that HE isn't getting the job done....OR you're a motivated seller. Nothing more.

The only ones who know....are the agencies informed. Realtors I talk to like the idea.

Mosbonian
06-04-2007, 05:05 PM
By "Wrong impression" he means he doesn't want another agent taking half of his commission by selling the house. I suggest it impresses that HE isn't getting the job done....OR you're a motivated seller. Nothing more.

The only ones who know....are the agencies informed. Realtors I talk to like the idea.

I have spoken to 2 Agents today...I like the way they think and I am convinced i have narrowed it down to 2 that I like.

Both are not "high" proponents of the bounty system, but understand that I am the "boss".

mmaddog

Baby Lee
06-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Johnny Drama is a master of negotiation.

Iowanian
06-04-2007, 07:34 PM
I have spoken to 2 Agents today...I like the way they think and I am convinced i have narrowed it down to 2 that I like.

Both are not "high" proponents of the bounty system, but understand that I am the "boss".

mmaddog

The listing agent doesn't like a bounty...because if someone else moves your house...they get 3% instead of 6.

Remember that realtors are ususally some jackhole that passed a test....its not rocket science.....i think Halfcan is a realtor for crimeny sake.

I found out I failed my first attempt at a new house this week...my offer was laughed at by the banker....we're 30k apart and they can take a flying fukc after a rolling dounut. I know the mortgage is 5 months unpaid, I know not many in that area can pay that price.......If it goes to auction, they're fooked.

Mosbonian
06-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Johnny Drama is a master of negotiation.

:spock: :huh:

Sorry...you lost me here.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
06-04-2007, 08:30 PM
The listing agent doesn't like a bounty...because if someone else moves your house...they get 3% instead of 6.

Remember that realtors are ususally some jackhole that passed a test....its not rocket science.....i think Halfcan is a realtor for crimeny sake.

I'll go you one better on that Iowanian.....this is being done through a relo company known as Cartus Corp (parent corp to Century 21, Coldwell Banker, and ERA Realty) and the realtor has to agree to a reduced fee, with the difference going back to Cartus for the relo referral.

My new agent will like a bounty...or he won't be my agent.

mmaddog

Skip Towne
06-04-2007, 08:56 PM

I found out I failed my first attempt at a new house this week...my offer was laughed at by the banker....we're 30k apart and they can take a flying fukc after a rolling dounut. I know the mortgage is 5 months unpaid, I know not many in that area can pay that price.......If it goes to auction, they're fooked.
Is crimeny a word? Or just an expression like crikey?

Mr. Flopnuts
06-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Realators are salesmen working on commission. Bounty is $$$. They should understand that.

Sorry if they can't think outside the box....But we all know that they love bounties when it's not their clients giving them out.

Made a couple of adjustments to your post.

Phobia
06-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Let's say you have $1500. You have to sell your house yesterday. The best realtor in the world isn't going to convince a client to buy a house they don't like. The housing market is crap. Realtors are showing homes as quickly as they can - all of them. People just aren't buying. You don't have to convince realtors to show houses in this market. They're hurting just as badly as everybody else, if not worse. Therefore, in this market, a bounty is a bad idea.

Take that $1500 you'd have paid a realtor in a seller's market and put into something tangible on your house. That's where your value is - in THIS market.

The new floor you drop in your entryway may well sell the house. But if 3% on a $200k house isn't going to convince a realtor to show a house to his clients, $7500 isn't going to make a big difference for you.

Simply Red
06-04-2007, 09:24 PM
we have had a similiar thread to this in the last two yrs. I'll tell you what I told them. Put a pot-roast in the crock pot. Turn on all the lamps(if you don't have many buy many) and leave the damned premises nobody's going to steal anything. STAY OUT OF THERE WAY!

Simply Red
06-04-2007, 09:25 PM
we have had a similiar thread to this in the last two yrs. I'll tell you what I told them. Put a pot-roast in the crock pot. Turn on all the lamps(if you don't have many buy many) and leave the damned premises nobody's going to steal anything. STAY OUT OF THERE WAY!

ohh, and light candles.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-04-2007, 09:45 PM
What if he has showings every day? What's he supposed to do with all of those pot roasts?

Mosbonian
06-05-2007, 05:29 AM
Let's say you have $1500. You have to sell your house yesterday. The best realtor in the world isn't going to convince a client to buy a house they don't like. The housing market is crap. Realtors are showing homes as quickly as they can - all of them. People just aren't buying. You don't have to convince realtors to show houses in this market. They're hurting just as badly as everybody else, if not worse. Therefore, in this market, a bounty is a bad idea.

Take that $1500 you'd have paid a realtor in a seller's market and put into something tangible on your house. That's where your value is - in THIS market.

Phil:

Just so you are aware...here in Columbia, there is such a "hard-nosed" competition that some agencies won't even show you all the listings on their websites. Most every town I know has a website that allows a person to access all houses in the area. If you go to say, Century 21 website, all you will see is their listings. Proof? My house has been shown 30 times since it listed....I was using the local ReMax agency to sell my home. Of all the showings, 21 were by ReMax agents, and 9 by "independent" agents. There were no Century 21, Coldwell Banker, or ERA agents showing my house.

I can put $1500-2000 dollars in my house, but if half the agents in town aren't even showing my home, then I am in a race with my feet tied together.

Money motivates....and if an agent thinks that he can get an extra $$$ or two, he will "sell" my house to the prospective buyer.

mmaddog

Iowanian
06-05-2007, 06:46 AM
I agree with phildo's idea if the house needs *something*.

My first home was a remodel job(as mentioned before)...it was on the market a few months after I bought the upgrade(which is going now).

I decided to do something to spark it, which is when I spent about a grand on different color shudders and vinyl wrap and replaced the front porch railing with vinyl.....AND put the bonus out.

It sold 10 days after the work was finished.

maybe it was a coincidence.

Cdirks
06-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Call Jim Rauer at Reece and Nichols

http://www.vickyshy.com/bin/web/real_estate/AR18124/ACTIVATE_FRAMES/SEARCH_MLS/COLUMBIA/1179841099.html

Phobia
06-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Phil:

Just so you are aware...here in Columbia, there is such a "hard-nosed" competition that some agencies won't even show you all the listings on their websites. Most every town I know has a website that allows a person to access all houses in the area. If you go to say, Century 21 website, all you will see is their listings. Proof? My house has been shown 30 times since it listed....I was using the local ReMax agency to sell my home. Of all the showings, 21 were by ReMax agents, and 9 by "independent" agents. There were no Century 21, Coldwell Banker, or ERA agents showing my house.

I can put $1500-2000 dollars in my house, but if half the agents in town aren't even showing my home, then I am in a race with my feet tied together.

Money motivates....and if an agent thinks that he can get an extra $$$ or two, he will "sell" my house to the prospective buyer.

mmaddog

Are you saying Columbia doesn't have an MLS? That can't be right.

Mosbonian
06-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Are you saying Columbia doesn't have an MLS? That can't be right.

Oh...they have an MLS, but you will find that the realtors in this town are pretty funny. Like I stated.....my house wasn't shown by any of the above Real Estate agencies. Now, the astute researcher will already have a listing of the homes he wants to see before going out with a Realtor. But you would be surprised by the number of Relocations that happen in this town where the family being relocated is depending on a referred agency who will only show certain properties.

If it were only as easy as having the MLS...

mmaddog

Mosbonian
06-05-2007, 09:21 PM
I agree with phildo's idea if the house needs *something*.

My first home was a remodel job(as mentioned before)...it was on the market a few months after I bought the upgrade(which is going now).

I decided to do something to spark it, which is when I spent about a grand on different color shudders and vinyl wrap and replaced the front porch railing with vinyl.....AND put the bonus out.

It sold 10 days after the work was finished.

maybe it was a coincidence.

My house is only 8 years old....the changes that need to be made are more cosmetic than anything. (updated fixtures, changing room colors)

mmaddog

Mosbonian
06-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Just an update...

My house sold yesterday!!!

They want to be in the house within the next 2 weeks....fine with me.

Good-bye Columbia, hello Lexington, KY.

mmaddog

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Congrats man. Good luck with your move.

Mosbonian
06-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Congrats man. Good luck with your move.

Thanks....luckily for me the company is doing everything. It was a full move relocation....although it would have been nicer if I had gotten the "executive" relocation package. In that one they buy your house from you and do your complete move.

mmaddog

Phobia
06-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Awesome. With the current realtor or a new one?

Mosbonian
06-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Awesome. With the current realtor or a new one?

The new realtor....he had it 1 1/2 days and we got an offer on it.

It might be unfair to say that he was just that much better than the other guy because the couple that bought the house could have been considering it before.

mmaddog