PDA

View Full Version : Official 6/3 Democratic Debate Thread

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Alright, let's see if there's anything in this debate worth listening to, unlike the last one.

So far the Republican debates have been far more interesting, so let's see if the Dems can whip up any scrap-ups or actual conversation outside of "I support children and respect our troops."

The last debate, I thought, they were all playing the same role, and they all sounded identical.

Will Hillary bring out the big guns?

Will Obama or Edwards wow the crowd?

Will Richardson distinguish himself as much as his credentials do?

How many gaffes will Biden commit?

Will that crazy ass Alaska dude be there?

Discuss, you shitheads.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Blitzer is the moderator, maybe he'll stick it to them harder than Brian Williams.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:03 PM
The candidates:

CRAZY MIKE GRAVEL!!!
Poor Chris Dodd
John Edwards
Hillary Clinton
Barack Obama
Bill Richardson
Joe Biden
Dennis Kucinich

HOORAY FOR GRAVEL!!!

HolmeZz
06-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Gravel and his giant snow balls.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Barack, out of the gates, with a solid but not particularly dazzling answer about how he believes our country to be less safe in the wake of this administration.

Answered in exactly his style, though. He's comfortable.

Blitzer asked a follow up, but it wasn't a Chris Matthews-type dart.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Edwards defends the "bumper sticker" remark he says. Gives a fiery anti-Bush answer, says the administration used "GWOT" to justify lots of improper programs.

The base will love it, probably.

HolmeZz
WTF Hillary

Direckshun
Clinton says that we are safer than we were under Bush, but that "we are not safe enough."

Interesting.

HolmeZz
06-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Clinton says that we are safer than we were under Bush, but that "we are not safe enough."

Interesting.

I guess she wants to try and separate herself from Obama and Edwards. Definitely calculated and a new position for her.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Kucinich knocks his first question out of the park. Emotional appeal, reasonable answer, passionate speech, and a Ben Franklin quote.

Like the guy, hate the guy, he's an amazing speaker.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:09 PM
I guess she wants to try and separate herself from Obama and Edwards. Definitely calculated and a new position for her.
I got the same feeling.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Biden goes an old and familiar route, railing against the handling of the Iraq war and introducing nothing particularly new or interesting.

He sounds a bit harsh at the moment.

Blitzer asks him why he's avoiding criticizing the guys standing alongside him, Biden says "these guys are my friends." LOL

Lord.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Warning: another non-critical love-fest coming up.

Hillary: "Everybody on this stage is united, Wolf. We're all trying in our own way to end the war."

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Blitzer trying to stir up something. Credit to him.

To Edwards: "Where do you disagree with your colleagues?"

Edwards largely side-steps it. Does mention that he's in favor of the timetables, but doesn't name anybody, and doesn't get harsh. Refused to name names.

But then names Clinton and Obama. LOL

HolmeZz
06-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Cat fight.

HolmeZz
06-03-2007, 05:14 PM
OH SNAP.

Obama just hit Edwards with the Barack Bottom.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Both respond:

Obama: "I opposed this war from the start, you're about 4 or 5 years late." LMAO

Hillary: "This is Bush's war, we're just trying to end the war, but our votes have to make a difference in the Middle East regardless."

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Debate right now is only between the Big Three.

A couple of the candidates right now haven't even fielded questions. Lord, Blitzer. Mix it up.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Dodd tries to cram too much information into one 60 second answer.

You can fault that one to Blitzer -- Dodd probably feels like he won't get another chance to talk for 30 minutes.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:18 PM
I really like Richardson, but he wouldn't stand a chance in the national debate against a higher-profile Republican.

He'd be great eye-candy as a running mate, though, especially if a candidate with a thin resume were nominated.

HolmeZz
06-03-2007, 05:20 PM
GRAVEL TIME

Direckshun
GRAVEL TO THE RESCUE!!!

Where does he disagree with the other candidates?

Gravel: "Totally."

LOL

Says the war was facilitated 100% by the Democrats, so this war is on their shoulders, too, which isn't an unreasonable argument. Compares Iraq to Vietnam, and says the Iraqis support the insurgency.

Oh, sweet Gravel. I love thee.

HolmeZz
CNN running a ghetto debate.

HolmeZz
06-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Yeah, Hillary put her foot in her mouth about how this is Bush's war.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Kucinich asks all the candidates to stand firm against any funding bill for the Iraq war.

Kucinich says this war is the Democrats now, because they're in power.

Very interesting. Great delivery as always.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Biden raising his voice now. He sounds ****ing furious.

He's upset at the notion that this is the DNP's war because they have the smallest majority in decades.

He sounds freaking angry, though.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Clinton just said the phrase "not unreasonable" describing the notion of sending in more weapons inspectors before the war.

She gave a decent answer, but weird word acrobatics like that's going to lose the audience.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Edwards defending his initial support of the war, like Hillary, but he boldly pronounces that he was wrong about the Iraq war, and Obama deserves credit for that.

That earns some applauses, and upstages Hillary's bologna answer about believing supporting the war was reasonable.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Gravel says "these people on stage knew there were two sets of intelligence going on and they should have felt the moral imperative."

Gets angry -- "Think of all the troops we've lost! Think of all the crap we've started! These people on stage aren't bad people, but they shouldn't be President."

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Hillary going the Kerry route "This president misused the authority Congress gave him."

Didn't work in 2004, sister, it's not going to work here.

I'm being hard on Hillary tonight.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Money shot: Richardson gets the immigration question, about why he supports legalizing 12 million aliens.

"I will not support legislation that breaks up families and puts a wall up circa Berlin 1944. Don't reduce the guard that's there, and make them earn citizenship, penalize employers that knowingly hire illegals."

Blitzer: Why isn't this amnesty?

"This isn't amnesty because this sets standards -- English, background checks, head of household requirements, 13 year process."

"Our immigration laws should bring people together, not split them up into an unworkable underclass."

Great answer. For many Americans, it might be the first short and astutely presented plan they've heard.

Now, a lot of people may not agree with it, but he made a good case.

Biden's answering him now, supporting the current immigration legislation, and guess what -- sounding angry.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Gravel believes English should be the official language.

"Well, we speak English here! I speak French and English!"

Applause. lol

Obama: The question here is, how can we come up with a legal, sensible immigration policy, and questions like this are a bigass distraction.

GREAT answer, and earns applause.

Hillary: "It's our national language, but it shouldn't be our official language."

Dodd: "We should be doing better language training, not worrying about questions like this."

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Healthcare questions. Everybody's answer here is kind of "meh."

Edwards gets the platform first. Says he's proud he's the first of the group who's come out with a healthcare plan (apparently he doesn't remember Hillary's work in the Clinton administration). But he says healthcare's massive benefits are awesome, but "can't be done for nothing." Interesting.

Obama then gave a decent answer defending his plan. Eh.

Hillary says hooray for Democrats working for Healthcare. Says she'd work to shore up support for it amongst the business community and stuff to stave off the backlash from insurance companies. Again, eh.

Richardson supports healthcare but didn't add much to the discussion.

Dodd gives a surpringly lifelike answer. Reels off stats about infant mortality and such. Argues for the inherent decency in healthcare.

HolmeZz
06-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Do we really rank 45th in life expectancy?

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Obama and Edwards squabble up on mandatory vs. nonmandatory healthcare, and Obama pretty much owns.

Kucinich weighs in. Promotes his own HR 676, and says "these guys are talking about keeping insurance companies in charge -- I'm ready to challenge the insurance companies." Earns applause.

HolmeZz
06-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Biden used 'gay' and 'holes' in the same sentence. Tehehehehe.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Gays in the military.

Hillary goes round with Blitzer on "don't ask don't tell." Says it was a stepping stone law at the time and hates the law as its been implemented.

Biden says he hates the law. Sounds angry. LOL

Everybody on stage raises his hand as against the law.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Gravel Time.

Gets a weird question about how he'd "use" former President Clinton.

Doesn't really answer it, instead just rails against him. lol

HolmeZz
06-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Gravels speaks faster than he thinks.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Alright, the quality of these questions are starting to dovetail, especially as questions are getting emailed in. I'm going to sign off and go watch the rest.

I'll be back with my thoughts whenever.

HolmeZz
06-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Haha @ Gravel.

THERE'S NOTHING I WOULD DO AS PRESIDENT TO LOWER THE PRICE OF GASOLINE

Nothing to lose.

penchief
06-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Dodd tries to cram too much information into one 60 second answer.

You can fault that one to Blitzer -- Dodd probably feels like he won't get another chance to talk for 30 minutes.

Dodd has been moving up in my estimation.

penchief
06-03-2007, 06:37 PM
I really like Richardson, but he wouldn't stand a chance in the national debate against a higher-profile Republican.

He'd be great eye-candy as a running mate, though, especially if a candidate with a thin resume were nominated.

He's perfect VP material.

penchief
06-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Biden raising his voice now. He sounds ****ing furious.

He's upset at the notion that this is the DNP's war because they have the smallest majority in decades.

He sounds freaking angry, though.

Biden is angry. We should all be angry. I don't condemn him for that.

memyselfI
06-03-2007, 06:47 PM
He's perfect VP material.

A Dodd/Richardson, with either man at the top of the ticket, would be just about impossible but would probably be a damn good ticket.

tk13
06-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Whenever Herm moves on, we need to hire Bill Richardson as the Chiefs next coach.

Q: How do you plan to change the offense?

BILL: Well, when I was governor of New Mexico, we took the offensive on all our policies. We'll do the same with the Chiefs.

Q: What about the offensive line?

BILL: Well, in New Mexico, we're a border state. That border has to be the front line of our country, just like the offensive line has to be the front line of our offense. You can't build a 700 mile wall on the football field, Larry Johnson would get tired running 350 miles a play.

Q: What about these open tryouts?

BILL: Well, when I was governor of New Mexico, we welcomed newcomers through our borders, so we'll welcome newcomers to the Chiefs.

Q: So somebody could jump the fence out front and you'd make them part of the team?

BILL: That's right.

Q: What do you think of having training camp in Wisconsin?

BILL: Well, when I was governor of New Mexico, I went to Wisconsin once. So we'll go to Wisconsin for training camp.

Q: What's your thought on the Michael Vick situation?

BILL: Well I was governor of New Mexico, and he was governor of Ron Mexico, so we're a lot alike really.

Q: Any other changes you have planned?

BILL: Yes, starting this year we'll be called the New Mexico Chiefs.

Q: New Mexico, but we're in Kansas City.

BILL: Yes, New Mexico.

Q: New Mexico?

BILL: Yes, that's what you said New Mexico.

Q: My name's Nick.

BILL: Yes, New.

Q: Athan

BILL: Mexico.

Q: No, Nick!

BILL: Yes, New Mexico.

Q: What the...

BILL: I look forward to meeting you, New Mex

Q: GAHHHH! I've gotta go take care of a bounced check, this press conference is over.

BILL: New Mexico! Land of the Chile Pepper! Yiyyoy!

memyselfI
06-03-2007, 07:00 PM
I think Dodd and Kucinich should refuse to participate if they continue to get 5 seconds to the big three's 50 seconds. :shake: :banghead:

penchief
06-03-2007, 07:01 PM
I think Dodd and Kucinich should refuse to participate if they continue to get 5 seconds to the big three's 50 seconds. :shake: :banghead:

Agree. Hillary is getting the Giuliani treatment and I don't like it. It's almost as if our candidates are being predetermined.

penchief
06-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Kucinich's wife looks like a groovy hippie chick. Lucky guy.

dirk digler
06-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Obama did good tonight and Hillary is very smooth politician. She is going to be tough to beat. I love Biden's passion especially about Darfur. He nailed the question about Darfur out of the park while the rest just want to talk while thousands die every day.

Silock
06-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Hillary sucks.

Gravel rocks my socks.

I would totally support a Ron Paul/Gravel as VP ticket.

Silock
06-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Agree. Hillary is getting the Giuliani treatment and I don't like it. It's almost as if our candidates are being predetermined.

OMGCONSPIRACY!

I agree, though.

memyselfI
06-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Kucinich's wife looks like a groovy hippie chick. Lucky guy.

She's pretty stunning considering he's a smurf. :)

BucEyedPea
06-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I actually think there is some truth to that. In that the party leadership, elites trot out one who gets the most money and the machine behind them.

WoodDraw
06-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Is there a transcript anywhere, or beter yet full video?

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 10:25 PM
My opinion of the candidates' performances:

Gravel -- This guy has shown neither that he has the temprament nor the ideas to run an office. He's in over his head in these debates against more measured candidates and he stands out like a sore thumb because of it.

Dodd -- The more you hear Dodd speak, the more you like the guy. This debate was no exception, except Blitzer and CNN were not conducting a very balanced debate, giving minimal time to Dodd. Viewers thus have no idea who this guy is. He's a good guy, and he kind of showed it in this debate, but he doesn't possess the charisma needed to win a national election. He did fare well in the town hall portion, though.

Edwards -- Man, this guy came out swinging, didn't he? One of my major criticisms of the first debate was that the candidates weren't doing enough to separate themselves, and Edwards launched into an attack with just about every answer. He's developing into a base favorite, but he needs to continue swinging at Hillary instead of Obama, because Obama's smacking him down every time. He can make headway against Hillary. He's better as a fresh face than he is an attack dog -- this was not a good debate for him.

Clinton -- She did not do very well in this debate, mainly because she had to put up with Edwards constantly attacking her. Her own strange answers weren't doing her much of a service.

Obama -- This guy took the debate by storm. He was in complete control of this debate from the get go, from his jabs against Gravel and Edwards to his conversations with the audience. He is by far the most charismatic candidate and he controlled the stage from start to finish.

Richardson -- Richardson is the 2nd tier guy who's most likely going to reach the 1st pretty soon. Edwards is going to play himself out of contention fairly soon and Richardson will be an attractive option to Clinton and Obama, who many feel don't have the track record necessary for the top post. Richardson is pitch perfect for a VP position.

Biden -- I guess he has the right idea. I guess he didn't say anything stupid. But god dang he sounded angry. He had his voice raised the entire time until the town hall meeting, and even then he was hot. Being angry can kill even the hottest of candidates, ask Howard Dean, but it'll bury 2nd tier guys who have a slim shot to begin with.

Kucinich -- I would never vote for this uber-peacenik, but I want him to be in every Democratic primary from now until the end of his days. Like Ron Paul in the GOP, his perspective is drastically needed to spark sharp discussion in these debates. He knows where he's coming from and speaks as well as Obama. He's not Presidential material, but he's an important person to listen to, and I always appreciate having him around.

My ticket, as of now, is Obama-Richardson for 2008.

dirk digler
06-04-2007, 08:31 AM
My ticket, as of now, is Obama-Richardson for 2008.

I will never support Richardson after what he said about Darfur.

Richardson: "Lets boycott the Olympics in China and that will solve the Darfur problem"

BRILLANT ADVICE!111!!!11