PDA

View Full Version : Outgoing Green, incoming Edwards big hits at Chiefs camp

blackhawk
06-03-2007, 07:13 PM
http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/sports/MI50133/
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- As far as 10-year-old Daniel Gibson is concerned, Trent Green can stay in Kansas City and the Miami Dolphins can go steal somebody else's quarterback.

"We love you, Trent," yelled the youngster from Independence, proudly clad in a red Chiefs jersey. "Please don't leave."

Green figures the Chiefs no longer want him, that they've decided young Brodie Croyle is their quarterback of the future. So he's impatiently waiting for Kansas City to finalize a deal that will let him finish his career in Miami.

But any doubts as to how the fans feel about one of the most popular Chiefs in team history were emphatically erased as he worked his way along the railing signing autographs Saturday at the end of a 90-minute workout in Arrowhead Stadium.

About 15,000 fans showed up for the free show, and it seemed as though every one of them were straining and jostling to get to Green.

The autograph session was supposed to last only 15 minutes so players could go right into meetings. But long after the other athletes had all finished signing their names and disappeared into the tunnel, Green lingered.

The Chiefs didn't seem to mind. And fans ate it up.

"Thanks for everything, Trent," yelled one man.

"Trent, you're a class act," yelled another.

Many leaned so far over the rail they almost seemed in danger of toppling over and falling onto the turf. Green, smiling and accommodating as always, walked along the field and reached up to sign programs, books, jerseys, footballs and everything else that was thrust into his hands.

"This is surreal," Green said, grinning.

Before long, reporters and cameramen waiting to grab a few minutes with the presumably Miami-bound quarterback swarmed around him and began walking along in step.

"Trent, how did it feel knowing this would probably be your last time in Arrowhead Stadium as a Chief?" one reporter asked.

"It ain't the last time!" yelled a fan at the railing. "It ain't! No way, Trent!"

Green smiled at the man, signed his name and began signing the next object somebody stuck in his face.

Does all this adulation make it harder to leave?

"It just reconfirms what I've done the last six years, and the appreciation on and off the field, things with the community and our family's involvement," Green said. "It just reconfirms my family's belief about this city."

Does this make him wish things had worked out differently, that he could stay with the Chiefs?

"Even before this, I was wishing it had worked out differently. They (the Chiefs) initiated this in February. It's just dragging on. Hopefully, there'll be some closure soon."

Fans kept pressing things into his hand, shouting their gratitude for leading one of the NFL's most prolific offenses for five exciting seasons.

Green kept signing his name and talking with reporters as the entire group slowly, somewhat awkwardly, worked its way along the railing.

Any chance of him staying?

"I don't see that happening. I anticipate a deal being done. But crazier things happen. You never know."

Green wasn't complaining about the lovefest from fans, though.

"It's great. I've got a lot of support around the city. We love Kansas City. This is where we plan to make our home when my career is over."

But sad to say for young Daniel Gibson and the other fans along the railing, that career almost surely will end in Miami.

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2007, 07:26 PM
See ya, Trent.

jAZ
06-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Where's the Edwards part?

Mr. Flopnuts
06-03-2007, 07:29 PM
I've talked about Green being a douchebag in this whole ordeal for a while now. That being said, I'm glad he's being seen off this way. He deserves it. He has done a lot for this team, and a lot for Kansas City. I'm glad the fans can do what he seemingly can't and show him the respect he deserves during his farewell.

Bob Dole
06-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I've talked about Green being a douchebag in this whole ordeal for a while now. That being said, I'm glad he's being seen off this way. He deserves it. He has done a lot for this team...

Amen!

Bob Dole will remember those AFC and NFL championships forever.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Glad he's not leaving to boos.

crazycoffey
06-03-2007, 09:17 PM
****Green to start for the Chiefs in 2007****

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2007, 09:37 PM
****Green to start for the Chiefs in 2007****I hope to hell NOT!

crazycoffey
06-03-2007, 09:39 PM
I hope to hell NOT!

HA! Just trying to let him leave on a high support note.....

DMAC
06-03-2007, 09:44 PM
He was just being polite.

DaFace
06-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Where's the Edwards part?

Interesting question...

Logical
06-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Amen!

I understand your sarcasm but I far more enjoyed the Trent year and the high powered offense than any of the Marty years except the Montana years.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Amen!

I'll chalk that shit up to coaching and front office decisions. Trent did his job on the field. He was more than efficient. He was a difference maker. Very good accuracy for every one of his years here except the first few games, and the last part of his last season. I've never seen a QB not named Favre be willing to put his body on the line to throw a block like Trent did. He excelled on the field at his position and led his teammates. He couldn't play DT, CB, S, LB, DE too. Yeah, he's been an asshole as he comes all over Miami. He deserves whatever he gets as far as convenience, and location go. As far as his efforts on the field are concerned, the fans are giving him his just deserts there as well. Stay classy Kansas City.

Deberg_1990
06-03-2007, 11:28 PM
I understand your sarcasm but I far more enjoyed the Trent year and the high powered offense than any of the Marty years except the Montana years.

SO basically what your saying is: You would rather lose 44-42 than 17-10

They were the exact opposites of each other. Same results...

Thig Lyfe
06-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Nice to know he plans on living in KC after his career is over.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Stay classy Kansas City.
I think that just about sums it up.

Raiderhader
06-03-2007, 11:36 PM
I've talked about Green being a douchebag in this whole ordeal for a while now. That being said, I'm glad he's being seen off this way. He deserves it. He has done a lot for this team, and a lot for Kansas City. I'm glad the fans can do what he seemingly can't and show him the respect he deserves during his farewell.

The team decides they want to move on from one of our greatest QBs and the HE is the douchebag because he wants that move to happen as quickly as possible so he can get on with his life and his career? Give me a break. The Chiefs put Green in this position, not the other way around.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-04-2007, 12:03 AM
The team decides they want to move on from one of our greatest QBs and the HE is the douchebag because he wants that move to happen as quickly as possible so he can get on with his life and his career? Give me a break. The Chiefs put Green in this position, not the other way around.

I disagree. They told him he could go look for a deal. It's not our fault he hasn't found one yet. Crying because the team he wants to go too isn't ponying up enough compensation is what makes him the douchebag. The Chiefs haven't put him in any position. He's put himself in this position. He took away our bargaining power then expected us to roll over after he did it. It didn't happen, he's shocked. Deal with it like the professional you've always been. Carl didn't play his cards too soon, TRENT DID. That's why we are where we are. Just because Trent has been golden in KC and Carl has been anything but, doesn't mean my goggles are so steamed up I can't see shit when it's in front of me. Trent did all of this to himself.

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2007, 12:07 AM
I disagree. They told him he could go look for a deal. It's not our fault he hasn't found one yet. Crying because the team he wants to go too isn't ponying up enough compensation is what makes him the douchebag. The Chiefs haven't put him in any position. He's put himself in this position. He took away our bargaining power then expected us to roll over after he did it. It didn't happen, he's shocked. Deal with it like the professional you've always been. Carl didn't play his cards too soon, TRENT DID. That's why we are where we are. Just because Trent has been golden in KC and Carl has been anything but, doesn't mean my goggles are so steamed up I can't see shit when it's in front of me. Trent did all of this to himself.Yup, this is one of the rare moments where I do not blame Carl.

Direckshun
06-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Stay classy Kansas City.
I'd like to highlight Mr. F's comment one more time so that I can say this.

This article was hero-worship of Green, when it should have been hero-worship of Chief fans. Fans that, despite all the sour pussing Green's done through this ordeal, can still respect the man for the years of service he's given our team and our city.

You have to give at LEAST as much credit, if not more, to Chiefs fans, for being as decent and honest as football fans get.

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2007, 12:26 AM
I'd like to highlight Mr. F's comment one more time so that I can say this.

This article was hero-worship of Green, when it should have been hero-worship of Chief fans. Fans that, despite all the sour pussing Green's done through this ordeal, can still respect the man for the years of service he's given our team and our city.

You have to give at LEAST as much credit, if not more, to Chiefs fans, for being as decent and honest as football fans get.Yes, I am grateful of what Green did/tried to do here. Its time to move on...

StcChief
06-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Green did alot for KC he is a real hard nosed QB... how many times could he have been 'Gaethered' in the past
bolting down the field for a 1st down....

Sad it had to end this way as a player here.

bobbything
06-04-2007, 09:46 AM
SO basically what your saying is: You would rather lose 44-42 than 17-10
You're suggesting that he enjoys the losing. Certainly, anyone would have rather had victories. However, when all you have in KC is playoff losses, you're picking the lesser of two evils. And, I would agree, if I'm going to choose between two heartbreaking losses, I'd, at the very least, like to be entertained.

A loss is a loss; whether it's in the Marty era or the Vermeil era. But, at the very least during the process, KC got a QB that they could look up to and enjoy watching play. It's been a long time since we've had that.

I think that's all he's saying.

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 10:00 AM
KC got a QB that they could look up to and enjoy watching play. It's been a long time since we've had that.

Trent will be missed regardless who replaces him... Was a solid QB, Pro-Bowler and a Classy guy...

Agree time to move on, but #10 and his crushing blocks to spring RB's, His heart and leadership will be missed, that is for sure...

TRR
06-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Green is one of my favorite Chiefs of all time, and definitely my favorite QB of all time. Fans hated him when he started in KC, and now look at how he's perceived. It's been fon watching him the last 6 years...

However, last season was painful to watch with him at the helm. Hopefully it was the concussion that made him look that bad. What KC needs at QB this season, is a guy that can play under pressure. KC doesn't have a line that will afford a QB 10 years to throw the football down the field. Huard showed that he can do this last season. Hopefully Croyle can as well.

DenverDanChiefsFan
06-04-2007, 12:42 PM
You're suggesting that he enjoys the losing. Certainly, anyone would have rather had victories. However, when all you have in KC is playoff losses, you're picking the lesser of two evils. And, I would agree, if I'm going to choose between two heartbreaking losses, I'd, at the very least, like to be entertained.

A loss is a loss; whether it's in the Marty era or the Vermeil era. But, at the very least during the process, KC got a QB that they could look up to and enjoy watching play. It's been a long time since we've had that.

And you're suggesting that defense isn't entertaining. I love watching our defense flatten an opposing QB. Wins are always more enteraining, but I don't see a high scoring loss any more entertaining than a low scoring loss. It's still a loss and it sucks.

bobbything
06-04-2007, 01:10 PM
And you're suggesting that defense isn't entertaining. I love watching our defense flatten an opposing QB. Wins are always more enteraining, but I don't see a high scoring loss any more entertaining than a low scoring loss. It's still a loss and it sucks.
I'm suggesting that defense isn't as entertaining as offense. And it's just my opinion. I'd bet that if you took a poll of the CP flock it might be heavily favored in that direction.

In my opinion, watching bad offense is as bad as it gets. So, in just my opinion, I'd rather watch a shootout loss over a 6-3 loss.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-04-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm suggesting that defense isn't as entertaining as offense. And it's just my opinion. I'd bet that if you took a poll of the CP flock it might be heavily favored in that direction.

In my opinion, watching bad offense is as bad as it gets. So, in just my opinion, I'd rather watch a shootout loss over a 6-3 loss.

If you think this board will vote for offense over defense. One of us does not this board at all

~or I miss understood your post

Sure-Oz
06-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Glad fans are still treating him with respect even if he is acting like a baby in the end. Hopefully this trade will hurry its ass up so we all can move on.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Glad fans are still treating him with respect even if he is acting like a baby in the end. Hopefully this trade will hurry its ass up so we all can move on.

come on. We all know Peterson hired them to drive up the price for Green from Miami

:p

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 01:18 PM
If you think this board will vote for offense over defense. One of us does not this board at all

How about a solid balanced team? Herm is trying to build a solid ball club....

You have to be mentally tough to win in the NFL... So far we are getting closer to a solid ball club... We are couple of years away from contending for the playoffs, but we should be fun to watch and grow, just like DV's first two years....

bobbything
06-04-2007, 01:21 PM

I wasn't suggesting that someone pick one or the other for this team. Just, which is more fun to watch.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Reerun, my sarcasm meter just blew up

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 01:22 PM
I wasn't suggesting that someone pick one or the other for this team. Just, which is more fun to watch.

I will go with the Cheerleaders making out option....

Raiderhader
06-04-2007, 06:27 PM
I disagree. They told him he could go look for a deal. It's not our fault he hasn't found one yet. Crying because the team he wants to go too isn't ponying up enough compensation is what makes him the douchebag. The Chiefs haven't put him in any position. He's put himself in this position. He took away our bargaining power then expected us to roll over after he did it. It didn't happen, he's shocked. Deal with it like the professional you've always been. Carl didn't play his cards too soon, TRENT DID. That's why we are where we are. Just because Trent has been golden in KC and Carl has been anything but, doesn't mean my goggles are so steamed up I can't see shit when it's in front of me. Trent did all of this to himself.

Precisely my point. He was told he could leave if he wanted, he was no longer desireable enough to try and keep.

I'm not saying the Chiefs are the bad guys in the situation (though they are being stupid in my estimation), just that Green isn't the bad guy either.

greg63
06-04-2007, 06:30 PM

Same here.

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Reerun, my sarcasm meter just blew up

Sorry I will buy you a new one....