PDA

View Full Version : Food: The Healthy Stuff

Fire Me Boy!
06-03-2007, 08:13 PM
I love being on Chiefsplanet and the way so many here are great cooks... let this be our official forum for healthy food. What'cha got?

luv
06-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Please keep them small and simple as well (for those cooking for one).

Fire Me Boy!
06-03-2007, 08:17 PM
So, I'm diabetic... and I'm trying to lose weight and generally get healthier. Using a traditional diabetic diet, I eat a lot of chicken, fruits and veggies.

Well... not so much veggies. I'm kinda picky in that arena.

As I'm fairly new to this diet, I haven't figured a lot out yet. But I've been eating a lot of chicken and rice. I get most of my variety by switching up the types of rice and the rubs I use on my chicken (which I sometimes grill, sometimes broil, etc.).

Tonight, I've got some lean venison chili. Once it's all cooked, I'm mixing in some short grain brown rice.

I've made healthy jambalaya that turned out well. Used shrimp, chicken breast, and lean cajun turkey sausages.

What do you guys do when you get on a health kick?

Donger
06-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Funyuns and beef jerky.

ChiTown
06-03-2007, 08:22 PM
I generally always eat healthy.

My wife is a fitness nut and she cooks healthy dinners every night. Tonight, I pitched in and grilled salmon on the 'cue - marinated in a honey mustard and lime sauce, with steamed asparagus and rice. Delish.

Saulbadguy
06-03-2007, 08:22 PM
What do you guys do when you get on a health kick?
Less of whatever i'm already eating.

Coach
06-03-2007, 08:24 PM
I know that I haven't ate a greasy hamburger (like the shit kinds from McDonalds) for quite some time, which I'm proud of myself, considering that I used to eat at least 3 or 4 hamburgers per week.

My next goal (or hopefully to) is to try to drink less pop.

luv
06-03-2007, 08:25 PM
I know that I haven't ate a greasy hamburger (like the shit kinds from McDonalds) for quite some time, which I'm proud of myself, considering that I used to eat at least 3 or 4 hamburgers per week.

Cutting out soda works wonders.

Fire Me Boy!
06-03-2007, 08:27 PM
This chili/rice kicks ass.

I normally do a fully home-cooked chili, but I was feeling uninspired tonight, so I used the "2 Alarm Chili" packet at Wal-Mart... it's really good, I've had it before. All the ingredients come in separate packets so you can adjust flavorings. I just made it with ground venison.

I'll do this again for sure.

And, I learned tonight that any brown rice is also "whole grain" rice. I've been trying to eat nothing but whole grain breads/pastas/rice, so that makes thigns a little easier.

Coach
06-03-2007, 08:27 PM

I'm aware of that. However, it's quite a challenge, since I always been a regular Dr. Pepper drinker for a long long long time.

And I really rather not go to the Diet Dr. Pepper. You know that shit they said on the commericals, that you really can't tell the difference between a regular Dr. Pepper and a Diet Dr. Pepper?

I call bullshit on that, becuase I can tell the difference between the two, and Diet Dr. Pepper just wasn't for me.

Fire Me Boy!
06-03-2007, 08:28 PM
I've been essentially soda free for almost a month. During the week (M-F) I drink nothing but water. On weekends, it's usually 50/50 with water and diet pop.

Saulbadguy
06-03-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm aware of that. However, it's quite a challenge, since I always been a regular Dr. Pepper drinker for a long long long time.

And I really rather not go to the Diet Dr. Pepper. You know that shit they said on the commericals, that you really can't tell the difference between a regular Dr. Pepper and a Diet Dr. Pepper?

I call bullshit on that, becuase I can tell the difference between the two, and Diet Dr. Pepper just wasn't for me.
If you couldn't tell the difference between the two, then they are definitely doing something wrong.

ChiTown

I am a huge pop sucker. I used to drink loads of diet coke. I've cut down from about 48oz.s to one 12 oz'er in the morning. I load up on water during the day at my office. It's made a HUGE difference in my energy level.

Coach
I've been essentially soda free for almost a month. During the week (M-F) I drink nothing but water. On weekends, it's usually 50/50 with water and diet pop.

That's what I'm trying to do, except I'm trying to challenge myself to go through a week w/o any pop for starters.

Smed1065
06-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Order a pizza.

Vegetarian of course!

:banghead:

Fire Me Boy!
06-03-2007, 08:33 PM
That's what I'm trying to do, except I'm trying to challenge myself to go through a week w/o any pop for starters.
It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I used to drink nothing but Diet Dr. Pepper, and quite a bit of it. As someone else mentioned, after I got used to water I really noticed a difference in my energy level.

That, and I pee a lot more.

luv

I've had four sodas since the first of the year. I just told myself I was going to stop, and I actually listened for once. I crave one every once in awhile. If I've been doing good on counting my calories, and haven't already had my "splurge" for the week, then I consider having one. I had a Mt Dew out of necessity one time. I'm not big on coffee, and I needed a caffeine fix for driving.

As far as food goes, I agree with Saul. Just less of what I'm already eating (after cutting out fast food). I don't pay attention to carbs, protein, etc. I simply count calories. A diabetic diet, I'm sure, would be different. You have to be more careful with sugar intake.

Coach
I am a huge pop sucker. I used to drink loads of diet coke. I've cut down from about 48oz.s to one 12 oz'er in the morning. I load up on water during the day at my office. It's made a HUGE difference in my energy level.

I know the feeling. One time I was at a junior college, every weekend, I would tend to go nuts on a 24 pack of Dr. Pepper. Not to mention drinking Route 44 Dr. Pepper with extra ice from Sonic can contribute to that. As of a result, I went up from 215 to 255 in one year.

Thankfully, I made some minor adjustments to lose weight, and now I dropped 15, down to 240, but unfortunately, I still drink some 32 oz a day. I'm trying to reduce that to either 24 or at least a 16 oz.

luv
06-03-2007, 08:34 PM
It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I used to drink nothing but Diet Dr. Pepper, and quite a bit of it. As someone else mentioned, after I got used to water I really noticed a difference in my energy level.

Flushing impurities. That's a very good thing.

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Celery.

I gave up soda about 6-7 years ago. Once you're off it for a while any type of carbonated drink doesn't taste good and is quite a shock.

the Talking Can
06-03-2007, 08:37 PM
a farmer's market just opened for the summer, buying local fresh products provides some inspiration to cook healthy...

fresh greens, much better than iceberg lettuce (no flavor or texture)...some goat cheese (local farmer makes it fresh, but any cheese would work) and black pepper and you have an easy, tasty salad that is relatively healthy...add some sliced apple or pear, or chicken (protein) to round it out

if you have a gas stove, get a non-stick grill pan...easy to grill vegetables along with chicken, beef, fish, shrimp - shrimp is cheaper than beef, and healthier -...I use mine almost every day...no oil needed

Silock
06-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Well, always a good option is any kind of meat baked or grilled with extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper.

Fire Me Boy!
06-03-2007, 08:40 PM
A diabetic diet, I'm sure, would be different. You have to be more careful with sugar intake.
A diabetic diet, actually, is no different than a healthy diet. Pretty much, it's like following the food pyramid diet. Natural sugars are OK, processed sugars and grains are not. And that really goes for anyone. We all need to be eating more whole grains and less processed sugars.

But having to watch my blood sugar, it's very easy for me to recognize when I've "been bad."

Der Flöprer
06-03-2007, 08:43 PM

We're on the same page. First, I cut out the sugar soda. Now, I've cut off the fast food to 1 time per week period. Next, losing the diet soda in exchange for GASP....water. I'll start focusing on what food I actually eat when I eliminate the rest of the bullshit.

Silock
06-03-2007, 08:45 PM
A diabetic diet, actually, is no different than a healthy diet. Pretty much, it's like following the food pyramid diet. Natural sugars are OK, processed sugars and grains are not. And that really goes for anyone. We all need to be eating more whole grains and less processed sugars.

But having to watch my blood sugar, it's very easy for me to recognize when I've "been bad."

Yeah, eliminating as many carbs as possible is great for a diabetic diet.

RJ
06-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Good thread idea, FMB.

For those of you who don't cook much, here is a basic dressing that can be used for most any kind of salad or vegetable.

3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp salt
dash pepper

The reason I'm posting this is that if you learn this basic recipe you can do all sorts of things to make fresh vegetables taste great. Very slight tweaking can give you Italian, Mexican, Asian, whatever you want. Add sesame oil, soy sauce, oregano, basil, dijon, garlic........anything you like, really, it's very flexible. Then make a salad or steam some asparagus or open a can of black beans or bake some fish and pour some on....doesn't matter what you do with it as long as you like it.

Fire Me Boy!
06-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Yeah, eliminating as many carbs as possible is great for a diabetic diet.
I did low carb for a while, and it definitely was great for my blood sugars. However, the diet itself was damn near impossible for me to follow. I just got tired of meat. I know, it's hard to believe. But I've always been a pasta/rice junky. I'm not big on sandwiches, so that wasn't a problem, but I really craved fruit and pasta/rice.

The "experts" however, say that the traditional diet is best for diabetics. And the fruit has made it probably the easiest diet I've had to follow.

The only time over the past month, the only time that I really struggle sticking to my diet is on the weekend. My wife works most of the time on Saturday and Sunday, and I really like to cook. So when I get bored, I really, REALLY want to cook stuff. And since I'm relatively new to cooking healthy-style, I tend to want to cook the stuff I'm used to, like ribs or brisket or clam chowder or whatever. Weekends are rough for me.

Silock
06-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Heh... I can't say I feel your pain, but my mom has been a diet-controlled diabetic for years now, and I see how tough it is for her to stay away from foods she used to love.

Fire Me Boy!
06-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Heh... I can't say I feel your pain, but my mom has been a diet-controlled diabetic for years now, and I see how tough it is for her to stay away from foods she used to love.
Does she do low carb?

I've talked with my doc at length about it... and from my own experience, it's not carbs, but the right kind of carbs. With low carb, it's easier to keep sugars down, but for me it wasn't easier because I wanted to cheat a lot more. And once you fall off the low-carb wagon, you're body (at least mine) didn't get back on track for 3-4 days. One little cheat would kill my numbers for some time.

Silock
06-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Does she do low carb?

I've talked with my doc at length about it... and from my own experience, it's not carbs, but the right kind of carbs. With low carb, it's easier to keep sugars down, but for me it wasn't easier because I wanted to cheat a lot more. And once you fall off the low-carb wagon, you're body (at least mine) didn't get back on track for 3-4 days. One little cheat would kill my numbers for some time.

Yeah, low carbs, but not NO carbs.

BWillie
06-03-2007, 09:10 PM

It does. If you don't have the will power to kick the pop habit, just drink diet pop. It basically tastes the same anyway. Still not good for you, but not near the calories of a regular one. I actually like the taste of Diet Dr Pepper and Coca Cola Zero better than the original, although there are some nasty diet pops out there.

luv
06-03-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm a carb freak. No way could I go without pasta, bread, etc. :shake:

I do try to limit them somewhat, though, because I know having too many is bad for you.

BWillie
06-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I love being on Chiefsplanet and the way so many here are great cooks... let this be our official forum for healthy food. What'cha got?

Eat healthy, work out, still die anyway.

Silock
06-03-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm a carb freak. No way could I go without pasta, bread, etc. :shake:

I do try to limit them somewhat, though, because I know having too many is bad for you.

It's not bad for you; you just have to have them at the right times. Eating a ton of carbs late at night is bad, but you can eat a large helping of them during the day and it won't be bad for you.

crazycoffey
06-03-2007, 09:41 PM
F it, die a little overwieght and happy.

NewChief
06-03-2007, 10:03 PM
http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/

Amazing magazine with a ton of great recipes and articles. The site has plenty of recipes as well for free. It sounds like you're already doing quite a few of the right things, but I'll throw out my rules:

1) Olive oil is your friend
2) Stay away from anything white. No white sugars, no white flours, no white pastas, no white potatoes.
3) Yogurt instead of sour cream. If you can find a good, thick Greek yogurt at a natural foods store, you'll hardly know the difference. I actually prefer yogurt now.
4) Start off the day right with a good whole grain cereal, whole grain toast with peanut butter, or something along those lines.
5) Almonds are an awesome, healthy snack to curb cravings. Stay away from the ones that are loaded with salt, though.

NewChief
06-03-2007, 10:12 PM
My wife works most of the time on Saturday and Sunday, and I really like to cook. So when I get bored, I really, REALLY want to cook stuff. And since I'm relatively new to cooking healthy-style, I tend to want to cook the stuff I'm used to, like ribs or brisket or clam chowder or whatever. Weekends are rough for me.

I just saw this, and I've got to say that if you really dig cooking and are going to make a long term go at cooking healthy, I can't recommend Cooking Light magazine highly enough. Wide variety of recipes from 5-minute prep to day-long affairs. They also do an awesome job of taking the traditional recipes that we all know and love and making them healthy. Probably my favorite feature it he quick reference at the back that indexes all the recipes in an issue by type of meat, course, etc. We've been getting the magazine for a year now, and we use it all the time.

Fire Me Boy!
06-04-2007, 08:14 AM
I just saw this, and I've got to say that if you really dig cooking and are going to make a long term go at cooking healthy, I can't recommend Cooking Light magazine highly enough. Wide variety of recipes from 5-minute prep to day-long affairs. They also do an awesome job of taking the traditional recipes that we all know and love and making them healthy. Probably my favorite feature it he quick reference at the back that indexes all the recipes in an issue by type of meat, course, etc. We've been getting the magazine for a year now, and we use it all the time.
:thumb:

Pushead2
06-04-2007, 08:41 AM
I only allow myself one sin meal a week, but it's not even a sin meal, it'll be a small porrtion of pasta with chicken or a steak with a little baked potatoe. I lost a ton of weight with sports, weight lifting and being active period.

Nzoner
06-04-2007, 08:50 AM
But I've always been a pasta/rice junky.

Have you tried a spaghetti squash,I saw it on a low carb cooking show,you can bake or boil it and although it's not exactly like pasta once you get the right sauce it easily takes the place of pasta.

Delano
06-04-2007, 09:07 AM
It is fairly simple to learn the basics of healthy cooking and apply them to your favorite foods. I used to love that "China" buffet type food but it is terrible for anyone's health. With a bit of thought, I came up with a few healthy recipes. Orange chicken, sesame chicken, Mongolian beef, etc.. It is quite simple.

Fire Me Boy!
06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
It is fairly simple to learn the basics of healthy cooking and apply them to your favorite foods. I used to love that "China" buffet type food but it is terrible for anyone's health. With a bit of thought, I came up with a few healthy recipes. Orange chicken, sesame chicken, Mongolian beef, etc.. It is quite simple.
That's what I'm working on now -- taking my favorites and adjusting them.

Delano
06-04-2007, 09:55 AM
That's what I'm working on now -- taking my favorites and adjusting them.

There used to be a show on Food Network called Calorie Commando, but I think it is cancelled. Anyway, the guy based an entire series on this premise. Take your favorite foods and reduce the calories, and you'll lose the weight you want to.

Simplex3
06-04-2007, 09:57 AM
...and I found it surprisingly easy. :shrug:

Simplex3
06-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I drink about 90oz of water a day, plus a glass of OJ with breakfast, a glass of tea with lunch, and sometimes skim milk with dinner. I'm best friends with the urinal at work. I'm thinking about installing one in the cube.

luv
06-04-2007, 10:01 AM
There used to be a show on Food Network called Calorie Commando, but I think it is cancelled. Anyway, the guy based an entire series on this premise. Take your favorite foods and reduce the calories, and you'll lose the weight you want to.
Exactly. You burn more calories than you take it, then you lose weight. More exercise + less calories = signifigant weight loss.

Fire Me Boy!
06-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I drink about 90oz of water a day, plus a glass of OJ with breakfast, a glass of tea with lunch, and sometimes skim milk with dinner. I'm best friends with the urinal at work. I'm thinking about installing one in the cube.
Through the entire day, I drink about 130 oz. of water total. But that's all I drink. And once I get home I don't drink nearly as much. While I'm at work I like crunching on the ice.

Fire Me Boy!
06-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I hated that show. That guy was a tool.

Delano
06-04-2007, 10:06 AM
I hated that show. That guy was a tool.

I agree whole heartedly.

Fire Me Boy!
06-04-2007, 10:16 AM
I just logged onto Cooking Light's website. 2 trial issues for free. Then they send a bill and you mark cancel if you don't want any more. Thanks! :thumb:

luv
06-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Any recipes for ground chicken? I have some I need to get cooked up sometime soon.

HemiEd
06-04-2007, 10:27 AM
I put a pork shoulder on the smoker, at 3 pm on Saturday, It was done at 6:30 pm yesterday. Mmmmmmmm, so moist and tender, it just falls apart.
Healthy? Probably not.

Delano
06-04-2007, 10:38 AM
I put a pork shoulder on the smoker, at 3 pm on Saturday, It was done at 6:30 pm yesterday. Mmmmmmmm, so moist and tender, it just falls apart.
Healthy? Probably not.

Depends on what you added to the meat and how lean the cut was. I am sure smoked meats are as healthy as baked or grilled as long as you don't load them down with additives.

BucEyedPea
06-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Wanna get more veggie nutrition in ya' ?
Especially kids, without them even knowing.

Save your vegetable water....even if you lightly steam them ( the healthiest way plus also some raw)

• Don't cook mashed potatoes in water which you throw away when done.
The nutrition is in the water. Simmer right in the milk you plan to whip them in. Want lower fat? Simmer them in chicken broth ( same with brown rice for more flavor). Use "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" ( the spray bottle...but don't spray it...dump it.) It's made from butter, tastes like butter on cooked foods and has zero calories. I can't tell the difference.

• If you're making a gravy, use you leftover veggie water. That's how I recycle.
Buy one of those gavy decanters where the fat sits on top and you can just pour out the non-fat liquid.

You can also put this veggie water in other sauces too. Don't throw it away like most people. It's a gold mine of nutrition. You can even drink it afterwards, but it has to be right then. You can't save it.

BucEyedPea
06-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Healthy? Probably not.
Pork– the other white meat.

These days it's leaner than chicken.
Suppose it depends on the cut...ribs wouldn't apply here.

BucEyedPea
06-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Here's another tip, but probably most everybody knows.

Cook veggies quickly and lightly...al dente.
Over cooking kills the nutrition

Slow cook for longer duration meat under low heat which preserves nutrition ( after an initial quick blast to kill bacteria, if any, and to sear it first). I know some may perfer well done, but the less it's cooked the better.

Oh and eat a deep green LEAFY vegetable daily for good health.

BucEyedPea
06-04-2007, 10:54 AM
B vitamins are a source of energy which can help you burn fat, it that's what you want. Plus white flour products are hi-glycemic which contributes to diabetes which we have an epidemic of ...even in kids.

Switch from white refined flour to whole grain. Do gradiently, half-and-half in baked goods ( add some flax meal or wheat germ to things for an extra healthy boost.) Use whole grain spaghetti and don't buy instant cook cereals but the ones that take a wee bit longer. If you can't add wheat germ....raw. Don't like it...well all I gotta say it's like wine you have to develop a taste for it.

Fire Me Boy!
06-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Depends on what you added to the meat and how lean the cut was. I am sure smoked meats are as healthy as baked or grilled as long as you don't load them down with additives.
Except when you smoke you WANT the fattier stuff. Pork butt, brisket, ribs... all are great smoking meats BECAUSE they're fattier.

El Jefe
06-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Here are my tips, eat less, work out, drink more water. I have no idea how many ounces it is, but I drink 2 gallons of water a day. I drink pop at night because at work its too hot to drink pop. I work out before I go to work, do a lot of cardio at first to get weight down, then start doing weights. If you want quick weight loss dont lift weight, stick on cardio if you are concerned about numbers. I drink Vitamin Water also its pretty good stuff.

BucEyedPea
06-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah. I read 80% of the people are dehydrated.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-04-2007, 06:41 PM
FMB, learn to cook low glycemic.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/foods/grains/gigl.html

Diabetics on a low-glycemic diet are getting those 'right carbs' you're talking about. One good low-glycemic dish is dal - think spicy split pea soup. I'm diabetic, and eat a bowl of chana dal or split pea dal for dinner many nights. Here's some info on chana - it's so low-glycemic that it's really great for diabetics:

http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html

Recipes at that website are a good starting point. I cook a big batch of dal (lentil, split pea, or chana) on the weekend, and eat a cup or 2 for dinner most nights. With a salad or some other veggies you'll be full and you won't know you're 'on a diet'.

Since you're a pasta freak...try making a pasta salad, but use pearled barley instead. Just cook a cup or 2 of barley, while it's hot pour on an olive oil vinegarette. I add a couple of roast red bell peppers, sliced red onion, black olives.
If you're really wanting pasta, try some of the whole wheat varieties. Keep your portion small, skip the white sauces, go with simple red sauces or red clam sauces.

Eat a lot of fish - I find canned 'fatty' fish like salmon, tuna, sardines and kippered herring convienent, YMMV. I often heat up a couple tablespoons of olive oil, toss in a few minced cloves of garlic -stir for a minute or so. Add a can of triple rinsed/drained white or red kidney beans and a big pinch of thyme. Turn off the heat, let the beans suck up the flavoured olive oil for a moment or 2. Add a can of tuna packed in olive oil, and about 1/3 of a red onion, chopped up fine. Stir it around, eat it hot or cold. Serve it over lettuce -or not. Smush any leftovers and pack it in a whole wheat pita pocket for lunch tomorrow.

I miss potatoes - so every now and then I have some. Buy baby potatoes -they're as low glycemic as a spud gets. Boil about 1 - 1.5 lbs of new potatoes for 15 minutes or so until they're just done. Drain, and while they're still hot cut 'em in half. Pour on a vinegarette of 1/2 cup peanut oil, 1/4 cup good vinegar (rice or white wine) 1/3 cup chicken broth, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 4 chopped shallots or green onions (or about 1/2 of a red onion), parsley and thyme, salt and pepper to taste. whisk this well, then mix the spuds and dressing well while it's hot, the hot potatoes will absorb a lot of this dressing. It's great warm, but I try to serve this potato salad cold, if possible -the vinegar and the cold potatoes both 'release' from your stomach a bit slower and you won't get that sugar spike. I add a can or 2 of kippered herring to this sometimes, it gives it a 'smokey' taste and I work in another serving of fish.

It's do-able. Look at library Mediterranean diet cookbooks for recipes and pick up some library books on low glycemic load, and on indian cooking.

luv
06-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah. I read 80% of the people are dehydrated.
Even though I've cut out soda, I'm probably only drinking about 40 oz od water per day. Little low, huh?

BigOlChiefsfan
06-04-2007, 07:13 PM
For breakfast I eat instant oats. By themselves, they'll cause a sugar spike (because they've been cut fine and basically 'overprocessed) But I add a heaping tablespoon each of wheat bran and oat bran and that extra fiber slows down the sugar spike. If I remember, I throw a teaspoon of flax seed into my old coffee grinder (now reserved for grinding seeds, spices, etc...) and add that to the porridge before I pour on the hot water. I also add a small handful of dried cranberries and/or dried blueberries. Add raisins if you like, but the dried berries have some other 'mojo' that ranks 'em higher on the superfood scale.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-04-2007, 07:35 PM
http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

http://www.carbs-information.com/glycemic-index.htm

http://www.pea-lentil.com/recipes/

http://www.mediterrasian.com/recipe_links_middle_eastern.htm

http://diabetes.webmd.com/features/stock-your-kitchen-for-diabetes-health

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/category.php?category_id=41040&partner=

http://ginews.blogspot.com/2006/01/gi-values-update.html

BigOlChiefsfan
06-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Do I know how to kill a healthy health food thread or what?

Water or diet soda? Coffee, green tea, black tea, herb tea? Talk amongst yourselves.

Fire Me Boy!
06-05-2007, 08:21 AM
For breakfast I eat instant oats. By themselves, they'll cause a sugar spike (because they've been cut fine and basically 'overprocessed) But I add a heaping tablespoon each of wheat bran and oat bran and that extra fiber slows down the sugar spike. If I remember, I throw a teaspoon of flax seed into my old coffee grinder (now reserved for grinding seeds, spices, etc...) and add that to the porridge before I pour on the hot water. I also add a small handful of dried cranberries and/or dried blueberries. Add raisins if you like, but the dried berries have some other 'mojo' that ranks 'em higher on the superfood scale.
If I'm going to eat oatmeal (which I don't particularly like anyway), I won't go near the instant oats. Give me steel cut Irish oats.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Sorry you don't like oats. I didn't either until I realized with diabetes you don't eat what you like so much as eat what you can have and can stand.

Got a tip on those steel cut oats, they're a PITA to cook. Put half a cup of steel cut oats in a microwave bowl and pour a cup of boiling water over 'em. Let that sit in the fridge overnight - add a splash of water or milk and microwave briefly. Beats trying to cook 'em from scratch when you haven't had your coffee.

Fire Me Boy!
06-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Sorry you don't like oats. I didn't either until I realized with diabetes you don't eat what you like so much as eat what you can have and can stand.

Got a tip on those steel cut oats, they're a PITA to cook. Put half a cup of steel cut oats in a microwave bowl and pour a cup of boiling water over 'em. Let that sit in the fridge overnight - add a splash of water or milk and microwave briefly. Beats trying to cook 'em from scratch when you haven't had your coffee.
I do that with a slow cooker sometimes. I got the tip on cooking them on Alton Brown's show... here's a link.

Episode | Website (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9956_19890,00.html)

Overnight Oatmeal | Website (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_17138,00.html)

Steel Cut Oatmeal | Website (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_17140,00.html)

BigOlChiefsfan
06-05-2007, 09:01 AM
I like what I've seen of this Alton Brown guy. Not enough to get over my feud with Cable TV, but still looks like he does good stuff. I'll check out a cookbook.

I use a thermos to cook my steel cut oats and some other porridge (wheat berries, fer instance) but not everybody has a wide mouth thermos. Cheap to pick up, and it works about the same idea - add the oats/dried fruit and boiling water, let it sit overnight. Works pretty well, but if you've already got a crockpot - can't beat that.

Now - low sugar desserts. Sugar isn't totally offlimits, but diabetics need to be careful with it. For instance, you can make creme brullee or other custards, just don't add as much sugar as called for. I make bread pudding with whole wheat bread, some added bran, lots of eggs, rum and dried fruit, a little sugar (or sugar/splenda if you'd rather). Not bad, and there's no reason to go without dessert forever. It's just not part of the daily mix for me anymore.

Here's a South Beach dessert that I make, it's easy to do and it's good, relatively good for us. Melt about 2 oz of dark chocolate in the microwave. Dip dried apricots into the chocolate - cover about half of each piece of fruit - and sit them on a piece of waxed paper. Sprinkle with chopped almonds or pistachio nuts. Dark chocolate is ok, milk chocolate NSM.

chagrin
06-05-2007, 10:48 AM
I suppose this depends on your version of healthy. Some don't consider any meat at all to be healthy, but I disagree.

Anyway, a good pan seared, then finished baked, Center Cut White Pork Chop rips; served with the Brussels and Carrots, blanched.

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Except when you smoke you WANT the fattier stuff. Pork butt, brisket, ribs... all are great smoking meats BECAUSE they're fattier.
I don't have a problem with having some saturated animal fats....and also real butter, cream etc. In moderation their fine...in fact the body needs some of these too, digestion slows down making you feel fed and fuller longer and they help certain nutrients absorb.

I think it's horrifying putting babies, toddlers and young children on skim or low fat milk. They need the fat to develop their brains.

Baby Lee
06-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Have you tried a spaghetti squash,I saw it on a low carb cooking show,you can bake or boil it and although it's not exactly like pasta once you get the right sauce it easily takes the place of pasta.
Man, I hope they've made strides in spaghetti squash technology since I was a kid. My mom was very diet conscious on my behalf; natural peanut butter, home cooked whole grain bread and sugar free home-canned preserves was MY version of a PBJ sammich, mated with carrots/celery, homemade granola, and a thermos of skim milk, was my lunch [figured a strict diet was better than drugging her ADHD son], and even she admitted that the spaghetti squash experiment was cruel and unusual punishment.

BIG_DADDY
06-05-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't have a problem with having some saturated animal fats....and also real butter, cream etc. In moderation their fine...in fact the body needs some of these too, digestion slows down making you feel fed and fuller longer and they help certain nutrients absorb.

I think it's horrifying putting babies, toddlers and young children on skim or low fat milk. They need the fat to develop their brains.

Breast milk. In the NICU that's what you see. All the kids on formula are having problems. All the kids being fed by mom are thriving. Why women don't breast feed through 2 years is beyond me.

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 01:15 PM
I LOVE spaghetti squash with Italian tomato sauce n' cheese.

BTW, there is a noodle that has no calories or hardly any or somethin' that some people claim makes you lose weight. I completely forgot the name of it but it was in a woman's mag at the checkout...no not a tabloid. I saved it....but will have to go get it later. I forgot all about it.

NewChief
06-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Why women don't breast feed through 2 years is beyond me.

Completely agree on the benefits, but the reason women don't: it's a complete and total PITA. We planned on going at least a year, but we only made it through 9 months.

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Completely agree on the benefits, but the reason women don't: it's a complete and total PITA. We planned on going at least a year, but we only made it through 9 months.
I thought it was a lot easier...especially in the middle of the night or making formula. If you have to work outside the home I can see it being a pita as you have to pump. I went 3 years...but only planned on one. Mine just would not wean. She had no ear infections... then at age 4 had one.

BIG_DADDY
06-05-2007, 01:24 PM

It amazes me that over half the kids in NICU have mothers that already have them on formula. They are also the mothers that are usually not there.

Fire Me Boy!
06-05-2007, 01:28 PM
I would think after teething starts it would more of a PITT rather than PITA.

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 01:36 PM
I would think after teething starts it would more of a PITT rather than PITA.
Teething doesn't do anything in terms of pain...they don't have to use them. I've heard of a few where it has done that but I didn't hear that it was common.

BTW, New Chief...you said "we" [nursed]. I was wondering how you pulled that off? :)

NewChief
06-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Teething doesn't do anything in terms of pain...they don't have to use them. I've heard of a few where it has done that but I didn't hear that it was common.

BTW, New Chief...you said "we" [nursed]. I was wondering how you pulled that off? :)

Heh. Not that I actually think you're being serious, but I'll give a serious reply. I didn't say we nursed. I said we fed breast milk. Seeing as she pumped and I fed the milk through a bottle on a pretty regular basis, I'd say I'm included in that.

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Breast milk. In the NICU that's what you see. All the kids on formula are having problems. All the kids being fed by mom are thriving. Why women don't breast feed through 2 years is beyond me.
I agree. Some complain that they just can't get the newborn to do it.
But if you persist, and get a lactation consultant, it can be done.

Mine was c-sectioned approx a month early. So they took her away from me putting her a bottle fist. This is too easy for them and they're less likely to nurse with a bottle first.

They had to wait a couple of days for the water in her lungs to go. So she refused to latch. Then I was so engorged she couldn't. I rented a good mechanical pump and pumped it outta me so she'd at least get some colostrum. So I gave it to her in a bottle. Then I pumped for another 30 days which softened my breasts, while I kept trying to get her to latch without forcing her. That's when she finally latched on....and wouldn't give it up for 3 years. I'm glad it turned out that way.

Now as to those crappy formulas...a lot are using soy milk now...it just doesn't do it. Then they microwave the stuff...killing anything good in it. And these are going to be our future leaders?

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Heh. Not that I actually think you're being serious, but I'll give a serious reply. I didn't say we nursed. I said we fed breast milk. Seeing as she pumped and I fed the milk through a bottle on a pretty regular basis, I'd say I'm included in that.
Heh! Just joking....it seemed implied.

Buehler445
06-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Pork– the other white meat.

These days it's leaner than chicken.
Suppose it depends on the cut...ribs wouldn't apply here.

I talk to the hog-farmers out home, and they say that they are breeding the hogs a lot leaner within the last 5 years. Thats OK with me. When we grew them, the last 40 pounds was fat, not meat.

Fire Me Boy!
06-05-2007, 01:48 PM
When did a health food thread go the way of breastfeeding? Especially, with a bunch of guys?

BIG_DADDY
06-05-2007, 01:49 PM
I agree. Some complain that they just can't get the newborn to do it.
But if you persist, and get a lactation consultant, it can be done.

Mine was c-sectioned approx a month early. So they took her away from me putting her a bottle fist. This is too easy for them and they're less likely to nurse with a bottle first.

They had to wait a couple of days for the water in her lungs to go. So she refused to latch. Then I was so engorged she couldn't. I rented a good mechanical pump and pumped it outta me so she'd at least get some colostrum. So I gave it to her in a bottle. Then I pumped for another 30 days which softened my breasts, while I kept trying to get her to latch without forcing her. That's when she finally latched on....and wouldn't give it up for 3 years. I'm glad it turned out that way.

Now as to those crappy formulas...a lot are using soy milk now...it just doesn't do it. Then they microwave the stuff...killing anything good in it. And these are going to be our future leaders?

Pumping is fine, getting the breast milk is the most important thing. I don't get the formula thing. Some of the babies can't even poop when they get on that shit. Soy? don't even get me started on that, especially for boys. I have one friend who never listens and has always microwaved her food. One of the sickest babies I have seen.

Fire Me Boy!
06-05-2007, 01:49 PM
I talk to the hog-farmers out home, and they say that they are breeding the hogs a lot leaner within the last 5 years. Thats OK with me. When we grew them, the last 40 pounds was fat, not meat.
The problem there is now very few people know how to cook pork and not have it be dry.

Fire Me Boy!
06-05-2007, 01:50 PM
I want to hear more about BucEyedPea's engorged breasts.

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 01:51 PM
When did a health food thread go the way of breastfeeding? Especially, with a bunch of guys?
I was wondering the same...but breast milk is nature's food so it is a health food...for the little ones anyway. :)

Chiefnj
06-05-2007, 01:52 PM
It amazes me that over half the kids in NICU have mothers that already have them on formula. They are also the mothers that are usually not there.

In some cases the reason the children are in NICU could be reasons related to the mother's health. You can have a mom that developed cancer during her pregnancy and now must immediately go on chemo, etc.

Buehler445
The problem there is now very few people know how to cook pork and not have it be dry.

I understand. I'm not a big pork guy though, unless it is smoked or grilled at the very least.

Fire Me Boy!

Baby Lee
http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2007/05/holy_shia_breas.html

BIG_DADDY
When did a health food thread go the way of breastfeeding? Especially, with a bunch of guys? BEP brought it up. Having a new baby in the hospital I noticed just how big of a deal it is.

Baby Lee
06-05-2007, 01:54 PM
BEP brought it up. Having a new baby in the hospital I noticed just how big of a deal it is.
Check my post above, it'll school you on what 'terrorists are eating' these days.

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 01:55 PM
I went to the Iowa State Fair one year in the mid 90's and they had pictures of pork from, oh I dunno way back (70's?). It was marbelized with tons of fat. Then they had pictures and examples of pork today...and there was hardly any.

I was buying my organic from a farm,not far from here...but it was just aweful and full of fat.

BIG_DADDY
06-05-2007, 01:59 PM
In some cases the reason the children are in NICU could be reasons related to the mother's health. You can have a mom that developed cancer during her pregnancy and now must immediately go on chemo, etc.

Over half are just on formula, to me that's unbelievable. Some don't even come to see their kids and the nurses comment on it. I won't get into the ethnic thing I'll just leave it at the people getting their free visit there are the ones that won't nuture their own preemie child.

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 01:59 PM
I'll tell ya' what. Knock up ye'r wife then you will you have your very own to hear about. How's that?

Then you can change ye'r avy line to "Most Expected."

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Even though I've cut out soda, I'm probably only drinking about 40 oz od water per day. Little low, huh?
Yeah! I'd say that's low. Double it.

BIG_DADDY
06-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Check my post above, it'll school you on what 'terrorists are eating' these days. ROFL

I wonder if Frankie is aware of this.

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 02:03 PM
BEP brought it up. Having a new baby in the hospital I noticed just how big of a deal it is.
Oh well, I was commenting on the low fat diets for really young'ins originally and the need for some fat...then it morphed. But hey, it's healthy stuff.

Buehler445
06-05-2007, 02:04 PM
I went to the Iowa State Fair one year in the mid 90's and they had pictures of pork from, oh I dunno way back (70's?). It was marbelized with tons of fat. Then they had pictures and examples of pork today...and there was hardly any.

I was buying my organic from a farm,not far from here...but it was just aweful and full of fat.

Mostly depends on the diet, and hog farms are so large, that they've become very efficient at growing hogs. Most small time organic farms are horrible inefficient, which is one reason why they become organic.

I don't know much about what they feed them in the big operations, but we had 300 hogs on a lot by my house, and we didn't feed them any steroids or anything. It was all soy meal, milo, and protein, and they grew fine. The ones we butchered didn't have a terrible amount of fat on them. But within the last 5 years, the hog farmers (I don't think any of them are organic) have said that the hogs have slimmed down a tremendous amount.

BIG_DADDY
06-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Mostly depends on the diet, and hog farms are so large, that they've become very efficient at growing hogs. Most small time organic farms are horrible inefficient, which is one reason why they become organic.

I don't know much about what they feed them in the big operations, but we had 300 hogs on a lot by my house, and we didn't feed them any steroids or anything. It was all soy meal, milo, and protein, and they grew fine. The ones we butchered didn't have a terrible amount of fat on them. But within the last 5 years, the hog farmers (I don't think any of them are organic) have said that the hogs have slimmed down a tremendous amount.

Breeding has taken the hog out of the hog.

Buehler445
06-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Breeding has taken the hog out of the hog.

No argument there. It's all about the $$$

BIG_DADDY
06-05-2007, 02:42 PM
No argument there. It's all about the $$$

Is it even possible to get an old school pig these days?

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Some Publix "supahmahkets" here sell organic pork...it's very lean too.

BIG_DADDY
06-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Some Publix "supahmahkets" here sell organic pork...it's very lean too.

Old school pigs are hella fat. They have leaned them up over the years.

Buehler445
06-05-2007, 03:25 PM

Buy a baby and raise it. As far as breeds, I couldn't tell ya.

BIG_DADDY
06-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Buy a baby and raise it. As far as breeds, I couldn't tell ya.

they have been breeding them to be leaner for some time now, that's what I mean by taking the hog out of the hog. I just wondered if anyone still sells old school pigs or their meat.

ZepSinger
06-05-2007, 03:52 PM
The wife buys all organic foods. Lots of salmon stir fry, rice, grilled chicken, 100% organic veggies and fruit- you get the idea. We buy free range elk and buffalo from a friend of ours as well. She makes some KILLER pizza, making her own crust with organic Spelt flour, organic cheese, and free-range chicken. Absolutely NO junk food(we haven't sniffed a McD's in years), and tons of water. No alcohol. Have cut WAY down on soda, but I'd like to quit it entirely.

Nowadays, even the thought of a Big Mac makes me gag... :Lin:

BigOlChiefsfan
06-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Old skool pigmeat? Sure, look for Berkshire pork.

http://www.berkshiremeats.com/

BIG_DADDY
06-05-2007, 04:04 PM

Cool, thanks.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-05-2007, 04:16 PM
BD, Berkshire it's an old breed but it's renowned for the taste of the pork. Most any breed of pig (Durocs, Hampshires, etc...) can be kept and fattened up if you're wondering if they still sell 'fat swine'...yes, they do. Price per lb differs from lean swine, but there's still a market. Brood sows are kept longer than shoats, etc...and after several years they'll be big animals. While the market is rewarding leaner pork there's still a lot of folks who like sausage, fat pigs work fine for that. Hams and loins off a fat pig are fine (just trim any fat). Plus, there's still a market for lard (still makes the best pastry, fer instance). While there are a lot fewer farmers trying to grow the fattest hog in the county than there were 50 years ago, big pigs don't go to waste. We still use everything but the squeal.

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 04:17 PM

Yeah...GREAT link! :thumb:

BIG_DADDY
06-05-2007, 04:26 PM
BD, Berkshire it's an old breed but it's renowned for the taste of the pork. Most any breed of pig (Durocs, Hampshires, etc...) can be kept and fattened up if you're wondering if they still sell 'fat swine'...yes, they do. Price per lb differs from lean swine, but there's still a market. Brood sows are kept longer than shoats, etc...and after several years they'll be big animals. While the market is rewarding leaner pork there's still a lot of folks who like sausage, fat pigs work fine for that. Hams and loins off a fat pig are fine (just trim any fat). Plus, there's still a market for lard (still makes the best pastry, fer instance). While there are a lot fewer farmers trying to grow the fattest hog in the county than there were 50 years ago, big pigs don't go to waste. We still use everything but the squeal.

Thanks for getting back to me on that. I feel like having a pig roast now, Hawaiian style. :p :toast:

Fire Me Boy!
06-06-2007, 08:04 AM
I do that with a slow cooker sometimes. I got the tip on cooking them on Alton Brown's show... here's a link.

Episode | Website (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9956_19890,00.html)

Overnight Oatmeal | Website (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_17138,00.html)

Steel Cut Oatmeal | Website (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_17140,00.html)
Been experimenting... the overnight oatmeal sucks if you put dried fruit in it while it cooks. Nasty. It's good if you add a few walnuts. And last night I added some ground up flax seed (enough for 3 Tbsp. of seed per serving of oatmeal)... pretty good. Added a nice nuttiness. Then, a little half-half and some sliced strawberries. Yummy breakfast.

NewChief
06-25-2007, 10:22 AM
I just logged onto Cooking Light's website. 2 trial issues for free. Then they send a bill and you mark cancel if you don't want any more. Thanks! :thumb:

Hopefully you'll get this latest issue. Covers BBQ with a nice write up on KC BBQ and some good Q recipes.

Fire Me Boy!
06-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Hopefully you'll get this latest issue. Covers BBQ with a nice write up on KC BBQ and some good Q recipes.
Should be getting it pretty soon.

Guru
07-24-2007, 01:58 AM
and here I thought this thread would give me some good healthy QUICK and convenient recipes or something.

phobia's skidmark
07-24-2007, 03:34 AM
Masters, Psyllium husk fiber and plenty of water grows my brothers and sisters into big strong turds, not teeny watery pooplets who must live out their days next to phobias buttcrack.

Fire Me Boy!
07-24-2007, 07:08 AM
I made some kick ass dirty rice the other day... fairly low fat and I used whole grain rice instead of white. Very good stuff.

tooge
07-24-2007, 09:22 AM
beans are a great source of some vitamins, and protein, and theye are essentially fat free. I make a really good bean side dish to go with fish, chicken or shrimp. Just do the meat with a tex mex flair (chili powder, onion powder and a bit of cumin) then serve with this bean "relish".

1 can black beans (drain)
1 can red beans (drain)
1 can diced tomatoes (drain)
2 cups frozen corn (thawed)
1 small can diced green chilis (drain)
juice of two limes
two cloves garlic minced
1 diced onoin
1 diced red or green pepper
a handfull of finely chopped cilantro
Serve cold!
add salt, pepper to taste, and just about a tablespoon of chili powder.
this makes quite a bit, but put the rest in the fridge and it gets better over the next two to three days as all the flavors mix. It is also good served over rice as a vegetarian dish. And, it only takes about 10 minutes to make and only costs a few bucks.

the Talking Can
07-24-2007, 09:30 AM
a guy at my local farmers market is selling edamame...super tasty

soybeans in the pod, just steam for 5 minutes, then drizzle some olive oil and liberally salt and pepper...Japanese restaurants serve them as appetizers...I'm totally hooked now

RJ
07-24-2007, 11:40 AM
beans are a great source of some vitamins, and protein, and theye are essentially fat free. I make a really good bean side dish to go with fish, chicken or shrimp. Just do the meat with a tex mex flair (chili powder, onion powder and a bit of cumin) then serve with this bean "relish".

1 can red beans (drain)
juice of two limes
two cloves garlic minced
1 diced onoin
Serve cold!
this makes quite a bit, but put the rest in the fridge and it gets better over the next two to three days as all the flavors mix. It is also good served over rice as a vegetarian dish. And, it only takes about 10 minutes to make and only costs a few bucks.

I make that often. My recipe includes olive oil. For that much relish I'd use about 4 tablespoons. About a half tsp of cumin goes well also. Can't really go wrong with this dish, throw in whatever you like.

the Talking Can
07-24-2007, 11:41 AM
i do a version of that with just black beans, corn, and mango....good stuff

RJ
07-24-2007, 11:45 AM
i do a version of that with just black beans, corn, and mango....good stuff

Hmmmmm......I have a ripe mango waiting to be eaten, think I'll give that a try.

the Talking Can
07-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Hmmmmm......I have a ripe mango waiting to be eaten, think I'll give that a try.

it's good thrown over a chicken breast too...

cookster50
07-24-2007, 01:59 PM
I hear that if you eat 5 tomatoes a day, you make the laundry detergent makers very happy.

cdcox
07-28-2007, 10:12 PM

1 can red beans (drain)
juice of two limes
two cloves garlic minced
1 diced onoin
Serve cold!

I think I'll try this as a side to some grilled salmon tomorrow.