PDA

View Full Version : Kid Zeppelin -- This is amazing! Is it a CP child?

Silock
06-03-2007, 11:24 PM
<embed src="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1756378" quality="best" width="400" height="300" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2007, 11:30 PM
****ing WOW!

Der Flöprer
06-03-2007, 11:31 PM
He looks bored. I'd say he's a sure fire lock to be a superstar millionaire, but he really doesn't seem all that interested.

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2007, 11:33 PM
2nd coming of Joe Satriani

Phobia
06-03-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm posting a link to this every time that noob posts links to his crappy guitar crap crap.

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2007, 11:37 PM
He looks bored. I'd say he's a sure fire lock to be a superstar millionaire, but he really doesn't seem all that interested.Concentration? He can't be more than 8 or 9...

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm posting a link to this every time that noob posts links to his crappy guitar crap crap.You are confusing me with your avatar copy cat thing...
:)

Der Flöprer
06-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Concentration? He can't be more than 8 or 9...

I don't know if he was that old. I think that if you can play that well on the guitar though, enough of it comes naturally to the fingers. He didn't make a whole lot of mistakes which tells me his fingers have performed those moves a shit ton. He was looking at his hands on the fretboard, so it's entirely possible that he was just in concentration (possibly because he was on camera) He looked bored to me though. I don't know.

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2007, 11:47 PM
I don't know if he was that old. I think that if you can play that well on the guitar though, enough of it comes naturally to the fingers. He didn't make a whole lot of mistakes which tells me his fingers have performed those moves a shit ton. He was looking at his hands on the fretboard, so it's entirely possible that he was just in concentration (possibly because he was on camera) He looked bored to me though. I don't know.I am just blown away that a child that young can play that well. Prodigy.

Phobia
You are confusing me with your avatar copy cat thing...
:)
Sorry. It's my new thing.

Der Flöprer
I am just blown away that a child that young can play that well. Prodigy.

Yeah, I totally agree. If he sticks with it, he'll be rich and famous.

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Sorry. It's my new thing.I knew you were gonna do it!
ROFL

Silock
06-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Sorry. It's my new thing.

That's seriously weak, dude.

Phobia
06-04-2007, 12:00 AM
I know. I can't change usernames anymore so this is the best I can come up with.

Der Flöprer
06-04-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm not changing mine. If I did, we would officially have yet another thread filled with a bunch of prickly cocks.

SPchief
06-04-2007, 12:09 AM
I'm not changing mine. If I did, we would officially have yet another thread filled with a bunch of prickly cocks.

Gochiefs' wet dream?

Der Flöprer
06-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Gochiefs' wet dream?

My signature is Gochiefs' wet dream. Words formed right on his very own computer.

Demonpenz
06-04-2007, 12:50 AM
ugh zep on a fender rip off. Jimmy page is rolling is his grave

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2007, 01:16 AM
:spock:

Phobia
06-04-2007, 01:18 AM

He probably just got tired of sleeping on his back.

DaneMcCloud
06-04-2007, 02:35 AM
I am just blown away that a child that young can play that well. Prodigy.

Prodigy? Uh, no. He was sloppy, constantly looking at something (sheet music - a monitor?) and his timing was off. Those are NOT words you would use to describe a "Prodigy".

That's cool that he's playing electric guitar at a young age, but he has a long, long, extra long way to go before being anointed anything other than being a a guitar player.

Silock
06-04-2007, 03:41 AM
Prodigy? Uh, no. He was sloppy, constantly looking at something (sheet music - a monitor?) and his timing was off. Those are NOT words you would use to describe a "Prodigy".

That's cool that he's playing electric guitar at a young age, but he has a long, long, extra long way to go before being anointed anything other than being a a guitar player.

Pretty harsh criticism of an 8-year old, dude.

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2007, 03:43 AM

That's cool that he's playing electric guitar at a young age, but he has a long, long, extra long way to go before being anointed anything other than being a a guitar player.No need to condesend, I'm a novice. Given the fact that he is a child, it seems silly to call that 'sloppy'...

headsnap
06-04-2007, 06:50 AM
I don't know if he was that old. I think that if you can play that well on the guitar though, enough of it comes naturally to the fingers. He didn't make a whole lot of mistakes which tells me his fingers have performed those moves a shit ton. He was looking at his hands on the fretboard, so it's entirely possible that he was just in concentration (possibly because he was on camera) He looked bored to me though. I don't know.

alright Simon...

Archie F. Swin
06-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Didn't he see the "No Stairway" sign?

Bowser
06-04-2007, 10:58 AM
That's all good and well, but how is he on Guitar Hero II?

bobbything
06-04-2007, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't be calling that "sloppy." That may have been "sloppy" for someone who had been playing for 30 years, but not for someone of that age.

I'm not sure about a prodigy, but it's pretty fuggin' good.

Tribal Warfare
06-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Well, this kid is in a strong running to be School of Rock part 2. If Jack Black ever wants to make another movie about SoR and if he sees this uber-awesome vid this kid will be a shoe in.

gblowfish
06-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Can he hold his liquor like Jimmy Paige?

DaneMcCloud
06-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Pretty harsh criticism of an 8-year old, dude.

I said it was pretty cool that an 8 year old was so into the guitar. But "prodigy" is term reserved for not only a young, amazing player but a composer as well.

Mozart was composing symphonies at age 3! That's a prodigy.

Mile High Mania
06-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Didn't he see the "No Stairway" sign?

Check out part 1...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMQQOxIZNQ4

InChiefsHell
06-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Sorry, I'm officially impressed. Don't compare him to Mozart...but damn, the kid is waaaaaaaay ahead of the game...shit, I don't even know half that crap...course I've never really tried to learn it, but that's not the point. That kid is very very good.

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Check out part 1...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMQQOxIZNQ4That kid is badass!

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2007, 12:20 PM
I said it was pretty cool that an 8 year old was so into the guitar. But "prodigy" is term reserved for not only a young, amazing player but a composer as well.

Mozart was composing symphonies at age 3! That's a prodigy.Why compare him to Mozart? He's not composing.

Mr. Laz
06-04-2007, 12:39 PM
very nice :clap:

getting a kid that age to practice enough to be that good is quite the accomplishment.

Phobia
06-04-2007, 12:49 PM
I don't play. I've always wanted to. Growing up, I had plenty of friends who played at that age and none of them were any good. In my world, that kid is a prodigy. In my world, a prodigy is somebody who is youthful and has an unbelievable talent in their field. I think that kid fits the definition in my world.

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2007, 01:02 PM
I don't play. I've always wanted to. Growing up, I had plenty of friends who played at that age and none of them were any good. In my world, that kid is a prodigy. In my world, a prodigy is somebody who is youthful and has an unbelievable talent in their field. I think that kid fits the definition in my world.Yes, by definition, he IS a prodigy...

jynni
06-04-2007, 01:21 PM

Mozart was composing symphonies at age 3! That's a prodigy.
I've never heard of the word prodigy being reserved only for composers. Dictionary.com defines it as "a person, esp. a child or young person, having extraordinary talent or ability: a musical prodigy" .

Nitpick - Mozart did not compose symphonies at age 3. He didn't write anything until the age of 5 and those were just two short, easy pieces (which is still impressive).

DaneMcCloud
06-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Yes, by definition, he IS a prodigy...

Sorry, he's not. Not even close.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd? Yes. He was jamming with Stevie Ray when he was 7 and I mean Jamming, not trying to play along with a Zeppelin song.

This kid "might" be good someday. But he's definitely not a prodigy. If he was playing like Steve Vai or EVH or Satriani at that age,then *maybe*. But not from this clip.

Tribal Warfare
06-04-2007, 01:52 PM
This kid "might" be good someday. But he's definitely not a prodigy. If he was playing like Steve Vai or EVH or Satriani at that age,then *maybe*. But not from this clip.

This kid is already good, and is going to be great very soon

Phobia
06-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Sorry, he's not. Not even close.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd? Yes. He was jamming with Stevie Ray when he was 7 and I mean Jamming, not trying to play along with a Zeppelin song.

I haven't seen clips of those guys. I have seen clips of this kid and he's far and away better than anything I've seen at that age. Most kids that age can't even tie their own shoes, much less strum a frick'n guitar.

Der Flöprer
06-04-2007, 02:20 PM
alright Simon...

You're the 2nd person to comment on my comments so I guess I'm coming across as an asshole or a pretentious prick, or something. It's not my intent. I play a little guitar, but I'm not any good. This kid could outplay me in his sleep. He's awesome. I'm not trying to criticize him at all. I just thought he looked uninterested. I'm probably wrong though, it happens frequently.

DaneMcCloud
06-04-2007, 04:38 PM
I haven't seen clips of those guys. I have seen clips of this kid and he's far and away better than anything I've seen at that age. Most kids that age can't even tie their own shoes, much less strum a frick'n guitar.

Well, I have a little more experience in this arena. I could take you down to Guitar Center on Hollywood Blvd and see 7 year old kids who just shred. I mean shred. Any day of the week. I've seen 7 year olds that can play Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover, note for note. I saw Chelsea Constable at the NAMM show in 2000 (when she was 10) playing Ozzy's "Over the Mountain" note for note. And in time. And not sloppily. There's kids all over who can shred (and shred way more than simple Zeppelin riffs).

In the end, it means nothing. There are literally thousands of kids who graduate from the Musician's Institute in Hollywood or the Berkelee School of Music in Boston that are virtuosos on their respective instruments. But unless those kids can write a song, it's not much more than a "parlor trick" for their friends and family. Copying and playing covers note for note doesn't make someone "special" any more than the assistant who types up the latest Stephen King novel.

I hope the kid sticks with it but that video in no way, shape or form suggests that he will have any kind of career in the music business.

Thig Lyfe
06-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Holy crap on mom's shoes, that kid has some natural talent.

ClevelandBronco
06-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Sure he's good, but let's see him do it on heroin.

Wa-Z
06-04-2007, 05:56 PM
He looks like the 4 year old drummer on youtube...search 4 year old drummer.

Phobia
06-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Well, I have a little more experience in this arena. I could take you down to Guitar Center on Hollywood Blvd and see 7 year old kids who just shred. I mean shred.

Then I'll defer to your expertise as I have none in this field. Thanks for setting me straight. I'm still impressed with the kid. I still want to see kids who are better. But I do believe you and I do think you are more likely to know more about it than me.

DaneMcCloud
06-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Then I'll defer to your expertise as I have none in this field. Thanks for setting me straight. I'm still impressed with the kid. I still want to see kids who are better. But I do believe you and I do think you are more likely to know more about it than me.

Don't get me wrong: I think it's totally cool to see kids like this playing guitar (or any instrument for that matter) and he definitely has *some* talent.

But words like "genius" and "prodigy" are thrown around way too much (I don't just mean on the 'Planet, but in general by parents). I think that's tough on the kids involved because generally, it's just not true.

Here's a brief story: Just last week, I had a child talent in my studio. The girl has been described to me as "Beyonce of Tomorrow". She's been in several big-time movies with hugely established actors and she's well on her way to a very promising film career. Though now, she wants to sing. So, she sang at a soon to be televised awards show. Well, she was awful. Couldn't sing at all during the performance. It was embarrassing.

So as a favor to the show's producers, I was brought in to re-cut all the vocals to the Awards show in my studio. Re-cut, Auto-tuned - you name it. The "new" performances were just sent to the producers today and everyone's signed off on it. So what the American public will see will be far different than what was actually sung. (This happens all the time, BTW).

Moral of the story? They put so pressure on this person that she cracked. And she wasn't ready for this type of performance. It's very difficult to project how a child will play or sing in 5, 10 or 15 years. And words like "prodigy" don't help, especially when they don't apply.

Just let kids be kids and enjoy it while you can.

BigMeatballDave
06-05-2007, 01:25 AM
Well, I have a little more experience in this arena. I could take you down to Guitar Center on Hollywood Blvd and see 7 year old kids who just shred. I mean shred. Any day of the week. I've seen 7 year olds that can play Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover, note for note. I saw Chelsea Constable at the NAMM show in 2000 (when she was 10) playing Ozzy's "Over the Mountain" note for note. And in time. And not sloppily. There's kids all over who can shred (and shred way more than simple Zeppelin riffs).

In the end, it means nothing. There are literally thousands of kids who graduate from the Musician's Institute in Hollywood or the Berkelee School of Music in Boston that are virtuosos on their respective instruments. But unless those kids can write a song, it's not much more than a "parlor trick" for their friends and family. Copying and playing covers note for note doesn't make someone "special" any more than the assistant who types up the latest Stephen King novel.

I hope the kid sticks with it but that video in no way, shape or form suggests that he will have any kind of career in the music business.You appear to know quite a bit about this. I won't argue. It just blows me away that a child can play a musical instrument like this kid.

DaneMcCloud
06-05-2007, 01:59 AM
You appear to know quite a bit about this. I won't argue. It just blows me away that a child can play a musical instrument like this kid.

Hey Dave,

That's totally cool. It shows that you're passionate about music and music performances. No fault in that!

I alway tell people to encourage their children when it comes to the Arts. Painting, music, whatever. It makes life extremely enjoyable to be able to express yourself through music or painting. It doesn't matter if your children become "prodigies" or just hack around on a a few strings or a canvas. It's expression at its finest.

If you have children, don't be bashful or ashamed to join in on the fun. Take art or music lessons with them. It will make it even more memorable for all of you.