PDA

View Full Version : Does this 3-year old meet the definition of "prodigy"?

Silock
06-05-2007, 02:19 AM
<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2033106777">three year old prodigy</a><br><embed src="http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf" flashvars="m=2033106777&type=video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="430" height="346"></embed><br><a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.addToProfileConfirm&videoid=2033106777&title=three year old prodigy">Add to My Profile</a> | <a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.home"> More Videos</a>

RedDread
06-05-2007, 02:26 AM
amazing! hope he doesn't turn out to be an autistic or an idiot savant...

DaKCMan AP
06-05-2007, 06:23 AM
amazing! hope he doesn't turn out to be an autistic or an idiot savant...

Autism manifests itself before the age of 3.

However, the kid said he liked Michelangelo and then painted Leonardo.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
06-05-2007, 08:50 AM
However, the kid said he liked Michelangelo and then painted Leonardo.

Yeah that makes him a retart! What and idiot.

Lzen
06-05-2007, 08:56 AM
I don't know if he does. Perhaps you should ask the Planet prodigy expert, Dane.

Thig Lyfe
06-05-2007, 09:39 AM
His early stuff was cool, but he totally sold out when he did TMNT.

Pitt Gorilla
06-05-2007, 02:11 PM
That was incredible.

Phobia
06-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Looks pretty impressive to me, but I'd still defer to somebody who has experience in the field. I think Dane has extensive experience in the recording industry so he knows what kids are doing.

Ultra Peanut
06-05-2007, 02:27 PM
OH **** YOU KID

DaneMcCloud
06-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Looks pretty impressive to me, but I'd still defer to somebody who has experience in the field. I think Dane has extensive experience in the recording industry so he knows what kids are doing.

Only the music industry. I couldn't tell if you this kid is a special artist or not, as that's no where near my area of expertise. I would hope that his parents are speaking to Art teachers and possibly even Art Museum Curators about his talent.

Seems pretty impressive to me.

Mile High Mania
06-05-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm of the opinion to just let kids be kids and if they blossom into something great, fantastic. This 3 year old doesn't need the pressure of art schools, etc... unless he's really really wanting to do it. And, at 3 years old... most kids just want to figure out how to crap in the toilet and not wet the bed.

seclark
06-05-2007, 02:40 PM
And, at 3 years old... most kids just want to figure out how to crap in the toilet and not wet the bed.

that's also forced on them by parents.
sec

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 02:42 PM
If prodigy means unusually gifted I'd say yes the child is one.
If it means a master I'd say no. But if he's master by age 10...I'd say yes.

I was able to draw very realistically by age 5. I was constantly tracing the outlines of images on tv, such as cartoons with my fingers on my face. Got a lot of attention for it in school. My parents even built me a studio in their basement. I was getting commissions by age 12 or so. But I wasn't a prodigy, just able to draw well at an early age. Kids in my classes have had this ability as well and I met some when I was in art school.

I plan on offering courses for 12-15 year olds in the next month.

R&GHomer
06-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Wow that's pretty cool.

Lzen
06-05-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm of the opinion to just let kids be kids and if they blossom into something great, fantastic. This 3 year old doesn't need the pressure of art schools, etc... unless he's really really wanting to do it. And, at 3 years old... most kids just want to figure out how to crap in the toilet and not wet the bed.

Agreed.

Mile High Mania
06-05-2007, 03:14 PM
that's also forced on them by parents.
sec

Good reasoning.

DaneMcCloud
06-05-2007, 03:39 PM

Disagree.

most kids just want to figure out how to crap in the toilet and not wet the bed.

Most kids don't have this type of talent. With art usually comes passion. IMO, parents should help to nurture that talent, not try to avoid it and make the child(ren) something they're not.

If this child was drawing stick figures and the parents put him in art school at an early age, that would be ridiculous. But this child certainly has far more talent than that and it should be cared for and developed, if possible.

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Disagree.

Most kids don't have this type of talent. With art usually comes passion. IMO, parents should help to nurture that talent, not try to avoid it and make the child(ren) something they're not.

If this child was drawing stick figures and the parents put him in art school at an early age, that would be ridiculous. But this child certainly has far more talent than that and it should be cared for and developed, if possible.
I'd agree as well. I spent lots of hours in my room drawing on end, making up stories and drawing the characters. My parents loved it because I was always quiet, controlled and not making trouble then.

Yet, I did all the other kid stuff too.

I think underencouragement and over encouragement( forcing it) are both bad.
The trick is to work with what the kid's interests are and what he/she seems to be reaching for.

Mile High Mania
06-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Disagree.

I'm not saying that parents should ignore it... you should foster anything positive that your kid loves doing. I think you can do that while remembering that the kid is just 3 years old and not going over board.

Stewie
06-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Not a prodigy. He definitely has excellent spatial aptitude. Those skills will manifest over time into something, but not necessarily make him a great artist.

BucEyedPea
06-05-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm not saying that parents should ignore it... you should foster anything positive that your kid loves doing. I think you can do that while remembering that the kid is just 3 years old and not going over board.
Wanna know what I think is overboard?
Not art related but definitely parental over-achievement kill...

Putting all types of words and letters in red type around a newborn's crib from here on out so they learn to ready by age 2! WTF? had a gf do that. It's called the Doman Method.

jAZ
06-05-2007, 04:33 PM
I think it's fake.

You never see the kid from away create each dot. When he places them, you only see his fingers (not his wrist). And it's all choppy. I think it's basically a stop action movie with someone placing the kids' hands for each dot.

Plus the domain on there points to a TMNT website... and the movie is coming out.

jAZ
06-05-2007, 04:38 PM
http://www.turtlekid.com/

The site has major sponsorship.

It's bogus. No doubt.

It's a movie promotional stunt.

Valiant
06-05-2007, 04:40 PM
I think it's fake.

You never see the kid from away create each dot. When he places them, you only see his fingers (not his wrist). And it's all choppy. I think it's basically a stop action movie with someone placing the kids' hands for each dot.

Plus the domain on there points to a TMNT website... and the movie is coming out.

The site has major sponsorship.

It's bogus. No doubt.

Yeah lots of video sites I have seen it on are calling it BS also.. I agree, you never actually see him painting from a 3rd person perspective and then add the fact that the website is sponsored by corporations..

Until you actually see him paint I am calling BS, I could be wrong but I doubt it...