PDA

View Full Version : Graphical First Down Markers on TV (question)

jAZ
06-05-2007, 12:26 PM
So I'm working with a friend on a project and he asked a question I couldn't answer 100%. Maybe you guys can help.

When it comes to those graphical yellow line 1st down markers on TV... There's the yellow line for a 1st down, another line for the line of scrimmage...

1) Is there ever (on any of the various broadcasts) a 3rd line? If so, what's it used for? Original line of scrimmage?

2) What's the color scheme? Yellow is 1st down... what color are the other (2?) lines?

3) What would you ideally like to see? 2 lines? a 3rd line? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Pestilence
06-05-2007, 12:28 PM
I believe they use blue as the line of scrimmage.

I'm good with the two lines.

htismaqe
06-05-2007, 12:29 PM
I like the newer overlay they've started using to illustrate kicker accuracy from various distances...

pikesome
06-05-2007, 12:32 PM
I like the newer overlay they've started using to illustrate kicker accuracy from various distances...

I like this too except when it depresses me. Sometimes not knowing is better. :)

Baconeater
06-05-2007, 12:32 PM
1) Thankfully, I've never noticed anyone using a third line. Two (LOS, 1st down) is enough.

2) Not all networks use the same colors, I think yellow for 1st D and red for the LOS is fairly standard. I seem to remember one of then using a blue line sometimes. I think it may be CBS during college games.

3) See #1

1adam1238
06-05-2007, 12:33 PM
When I was married, I took my wife to the chiefs/chargers game in SD. The first thing she asked was, "where is the yellow line?"

ChiefsCountry
06-05-2007, 12:33 PM
I like this too except when it depresses me. Sometimes not knowing is better. :)

Well we have got rid of idiot Tynes, so it wont be as bad.

Chiefnj
06-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Two lines is enough.

It would be good if they could change the football to a wounded duck every time Cutler throws a pass.

greg63
I believe they use blue as the line of scrimmage.

I'm good with the two lines.

Yup, and...

Yup!

ChiefsFire
When I was married, I took my wife to the chiefs/chargers game in SD. The first thing she asked was, "where is the yellow line?"
Geezuz...please tell me ur kidding

jAZ
06-05-2007, 12:35 PM
He and I both thought we remembered seeing a 3rd line on some broadcasts... maybe college, maybe one network, but not most. Maybe it came and went.

I couldn't remember, but I *though* he might be right, that there was a 3rd line.

My only guess was either original line of scrimmage... or the line marking the where the ball started on this series of downs (ie, a line for each of the "chain" markers).

But as I thought about both of those, I couldn't really see a lot of need for a 3rd line for either purpose. So I wondered if there was either a 3rd purpose I couldn't think of... or was I just imagining things.

1adam1238
06-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Geezuz...please tell me ur kidding

Nope. I about fell out of my chair laughing so hard.

Baconeater
06-05-2007, 12:39 PM
He and I both thought we remembered seeing a 3rd line on some broadcasts... maybe college, maybe one network, but not most. Maybe it came and went.

I couldn't remember, but I *though* he might be right, that there was a 3rd line.

My only guess was either original line of scrimmage... or the line marking the where the ball started on this series of downs (ie, a line for each of the "chain" markers).

But as I thought about both of those, I couldn't really see a lot of need for a 3rd line for either purpose. So I wondered if there was either a 3rd purpose I couldn't think of... or was I just imagining things.
It's entirely possible that a 3rd line has been used on a replay at times. I know FOX occasionally gets carried away with their graphics on replays.

Kraus
06-05-2007, 12:41 PM

Sometimes there is a third line if a team is looking to get into field goal range. They put the line where the kicker can make his longest kick from.

That's the only other line I can think of at the moment.

pikesome
It's entirely possible that a 3rd line has been used on a replay at times. I know FOX occasionally gets carried away with their graphics on replays.

Or someone let Madden hold the light pen too long.

|Zach|
I have seen a 3rd line. It always represented the original line of scrimmage from where the drive started...you could pan at the whole field...say so and so team has gone 9 plays and 73 yards...look at where they started.

sedated
They use a red line on last minute drives to see where they would have to go to be in field goal range.

also, one channel uses red lines for line of scrimmage for college games, its annoying

Demonpenz
06-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Demon is here to save the day. The 3rd line is sometimes use to show the projected field goal range.

Demonpenz
06-05-2007, 12:42 PM
So they would show another line where they had to get to get into the kickers range

jAZ
06-05-2007, 12:51 PM
I have seen a 3rd line. It always represented the original line of scrimmage from where the drive started...you could pan at the whole field...say so and so team has gone 9 plays and 73 yards...look at where they started.
That would explain why I mostly only remember seeing only 2 lines AND would keep the screen from being overly busy most of the time.

Baby Lee
06-05-2007, 12:52 PM

I think they might've pulled out a third line when there have been big losses or offensive penalties, to show just how much they've lost from the LOS.