PDA

View Full Version : My next European destination - Budapest, Hungary

chagrin
06-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I'll be leaving in early August, I've seen some pictures, it looks beautiful :)

So who has been to Hungary before? Anyone?

eazyb81
06-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Nope, but a Hungarian kid sold me tennis shoes this weekend.

el borracho
06-05-2007, 01:10 PM
I dont mind stealing bread
From the mouths of decadence
But I cant feed on the powerless
When my cups already overfilled

Pushead2
06-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I dont mind stealing bread
From the mouths of decadence
But I cant feed on the powerless
When my cups already overfilled

Temple of the Dog eh?

noa
06-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Budapest is a fun place. The language is difficult to follow.
One place I enjoyed was a park just outside the city filled with all the old communist statues that weren't destroyed at the end of the commies' reign.
Also, I would recommend checking out a bath house (don't worry, its not for teh gheys).
As for other sites, I would just hit up the basics that you can find in any tourist books. Those are my only two recommendations you might not find in a book.

I hope you have a good time.

chagrin
06-05-2007, 01:25 PM
One place I enjoyed was a park just outside the city filled with all the old communist statues that weren't destroyed at the end of the commies' reign.
Also, I would recommend checking out a bath house (don't worry, its not for teh gheys).
As for other sites, I would just hit up the basics that you can find in any tourist books. Those are my only two recommendations you might not find in a book.

Thanks dude - good info :)

Ultra Peanut
06-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Don't end up in Bucharest. Appppppparently, they're not the same place. Who'da thunk it?

Rain Man
06-05-2007, 02:19 PM
I went to graduate school with three Hungarian students a couple of years after the Berlin wall went down. The two women were extremely attractive, but never, ever smiled. Not a grin, not a smirk, not a smile, not even a demure Mona Lisa half-smile. I blamed it on communism, but left open the possibility of facial paralysis.

htismaqe
06-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Lucky bastard.

Budapest is on my list of places to see before I die...

chagrin
06-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Don't end up in Bucharest. Appppppparently, they're not the same place. Who'da thunk it?

Dude, are you serious? You're just getting more strange by the minute, heh

chagrin
06-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Lucky bastard.

Budapest is on my list of places to see before I die...

So why not go? Obviously I don't know you personally, do you have a wife and children? If not, fug it, just make the trip - it's pretty affordable actually.

Oz_Chief
06-05-2007, 02:38 PM

You will love Budapest. The bath house is good. I think it is near a statue honoring Anonymous. My friends and I strolled into the bath house and upon entering I noticed it was "womens day", when only women could use the baths. I remember thinking "this is sweet" at about the time 4 mannish 75 year old half-nude women came around the corner. I spent the rest of the time looking at the ceiling.

The food is good and it is incredibly cheap. My friends and I were eating at upscale restaurants for every meal and I still had to buy 2-3 bottles of champagne and a few cartons of smokes to get rid of my Hungarian money before I left (I took 100 british pounds and was there for 7 days). This was in May 2001. I have no idea what the money situation is like now.

I didn't know that it was originally two cities: Buda and Pest. One is the Roman side and the other is the "barbarian" side. There was a fun trolley that rides down the side of a very large hill that as fun. That was right on the Danube across from downtown.

htismaqe
06-05-2007, 02:39 PM
So why not go? Obviously I don't know you personally, do you have a wife and children? If not, fug it, just make the trip - it's pretty affordable actually.

Yeah, I have a wife and two small kids. :cuss:

chagrin
06-05-2007, 02:42 PM
You will love Budapest. The bath house is good. I think it is near a statue honoring Anonymous. My friends and I strolled into the bath house and upon entering I noticed it was "womens day", when only women could use the baths. I remember thinking "this is sweet" at about the time 4 mannish 75 year old half-nude women came around the corner. I spent the rest of the time looking at the ceiling.

The food is good and it is incredibly cheap. My friends and I were eating at upscale restaurants for every meal and I still had to buy 2-3 bottles of champagne and a few cartons of smokes to get rid of my Hungarian money before I left (I took 100 british pounds and was there for 7 days). This was in May 2001. I have no idea what the money situation is like now.

I didn't know that it was originally two cities: Buda and Pest. One is the Roman side and the other is the "barbarian" side. There was a fun trolley that rides down the side of a very large hill that as fun. That was right on the Danube across from downtown.

Nifty, thanks - Wiki has a sweet picture of the "skyline" at night. I am very excited. I was thinking about making Romania as well, while I am there; take 3 days and go by train if possible, hell do they have trains connecting those countries? Anyway, thanks again!

chagrin
06-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I have a wife and two small kids. :cuss:

I can bring you back a souvenir if you want?

You could always tell the mrs that your band booked a gig there

JohninGpt
06-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Budapest was on "Cities of the Underworld" last night on the Travel or History channel last night. The entire city is built over a network of caves that has been in use since before Roman times. Looks pretty interesting if there is any chance of getting a tour.

chagrin
06-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Budapest was on "Cities of the Underworld" last night on the Travel or History channel last night. The entire city is built over a network of caves that has been in use since before Roman times. Looks pretty interesting if there is any chance of getting a tour.

really? COOL! I am going to look that up

mdstu
06-05-2007, 09:00 PM
I spent a four day pass in Budapest in 96. My R&R from Bosnia/Croatia/Hungary deployment.

I stayed in a hotel that was on an island in the middle of the river dividing the city. THe city was beautiful and the people nice. The tourist parts of the city will remind you of any european city. I spent one day doing the tourist crap and the rest I spent in the bowels of the city commiting various sins and what not. At that time the US dollar was sitting pretty and the Hungarians were just trying to right themselves from the Communist fall. Even I was suprised with the kind of trouble I could get into with a 20 dollar bill.

scott free
06-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Moscow, Budapest...be honest chagrin, your a spy arent you???